HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Hollywood Center East Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:20 AM
Paramoderator

LOS ANGELES | Hollywood Center | FT | 46 + 35 FLOORS (1,005 Units)

Lot of controversy around this one, mostly focusing on view cones and overshadowing landmarks (Capital Records Tower). Curbed LA Reports:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...ol_records.php

Quote:
The (conceptual!) plan is to build two towers on 4.47 acres "using the Capitol Records Tower as a centerpiece"; they'll hold "approximately 492 residential units, 200 luxury hotel rooms, 250,000 square feet of Class A office space including Capitol Records and the Gogerty Building, 35,000 square feet of restaurant space, 40,000 square feet of sports club use, and 15,000 square feet of retail space." Millenium Hollywood will also include about 2,000 parking spaces in eight levels of above-ground parking (in podiums at the bottom of the buildings) and up to three levels of below-ground parking. (The project will replace multiple surface parking lots.)
Depending on neighborhood and official reactions, this project may become shorter. It would be, after all, the tallest tower in the area by a good 250 Ft.

http://millenniumhollywood.net/

Last edited by Urbannizer; Apr 13, 2018 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:31 AM

Taller building looks about 50 stories.

Yeah, I can see these getting shrunk a bit to satisfy the NIMBYs. Still would be a very substantial development, though. Nice to hear they managed to get Capitol Records on board with the project. Last I'd heard they were against the high rise proposal.

Would also like to see them finish the plans for the adjacent Pantages Theater that were proposed before the economic downturn.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:51 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

This is the type of project that can really jumpstart activity in a neighborhood brimming with potential. A 6-story stucco mid-rise won't have the same effect. I say yes to this project in its current iteration.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 6:34 AM

It's one of the only times I would actually prefer something shorter. It's just too tall. If they're building something of this height, might as well be in downtown. I feel something along 32 stories would suit the area better.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 6:16 AM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
This is the type of project that can really jumpstart activity in a neighborhood brimming with potential. A 6-story stucco mid-rise won't have the same effect. I say yes to this project in its current iteration.
so true, just what this hood needs. honestly, i see more residential highrise potential in downtown hollywood than i do anywhere else, including downtown. i could really see a sustained residential boom that just takes off full throttle and transforms the place utterly.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:20 PM
Not far from Disneyland

More on the approval

Quote:

Despite a last-minute intervention by Los Angeles City Councilman Eric Garcetti, the city's Planning Commission moved forward Thursday with a bold development project that could add two towering skyscrapers to the Hollywood skyline.

If the project is approved by the City Council, New-York-based developer Millennium Partners will be able to build more than 1 million square feet of apartment, office and retail space on fewer than five acres of land surrounding the iconic Capitol Records building. Architectural renderings show two slender towers, including one that would be more than twice the height of the tallest building in Hollywood, which is 22 stories.

Garcetti said the proposed towers were "out of scale with the Hollywood landscape" in a statement released during the Planning Commission hearing. He also complained that the plan does not have enough support from community members.

Garcetti, who is running for mayor, has often been on the other side of debates over development projects in his Hollywood district. A key backer of recent zoning changes that allow taller and bigger buildings near subway stops in the neighborhood, he has championed dozens of new developments, including the W Hotel project just south of the proposed Millennium project site.

Opposition from Garcetti and Councilman Tom LaBonge, who also represents part of Hollywood, was not enough to sway the Planning Commission, which voted 6 to 0 to approve the project.

Commission Vice President Regina Freer said she believes it fits with the city's emerging vision of concentrating new development near transportation hubs.

"Hollywood, as a regional center, is the place where development of this kind of density does belong," she said.

Freer led Thursday's hearing after the commission's president, William Roschen, recused himself because he has worked as a consultant on the Millenium project.

Millennium officials had been seeking a development agreement with the city that would allow it to retain its building permits for 22 years — as opposed to the normal eight — in exchange for a community benefits package that includes an agreement with building trades unions and parking discounts for local residents.

But on Thursday the developer withdrew its contract proposal after city lawyers raised concerns that the entire commission might have to cede the matter to the Board of Referred Powers, a council committee that hears commission issues when there is a risk of decisions being thrown out by a judge on conflict-of-interest grounds.

At the all-day hearing, a large group of residents who oppose the project reiterated concerns about increased traffic and air pollution while construction workers and Hollywood redevelopment boosters spoke in favor of the jobs it would bring.

The project has the strong backing of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, whose economic and business policy director praised the project as "transformative." It is also supported by the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce and the head of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, Maria-Elena Durazo.

The chamber and the labor federation have endorsed Wendy Greuel, Garcetti's opponent in the May 21 mayoral runoff. A spokesman for Greuel said she had not made up her mind on the project.

"In the past Wendy has stated she supports the smart growth principle of developing around transit hubs, but there is still a lot of community engagement that needs to happen and certainly that dialogue needs to continue as the project works its way to council before Wendy takes a position," Jim Dantona said
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,363474.story

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:00 PM

I get the feeling Garcetti wouldn't be against it if it wasn't so ridiculously tall.

I think this ends up getting built, albeit much shorter and more in scale with the rest of high-rises in the neighborhood. I think it looks great and will be a great addition to the neighborhood. I just think it would look weird and out of scale (ala Oklahoma City and Devon Energy tower) with the rest of the surroundings at its current proposed height. There are some renderings with shorter options for the towers and they look excellent.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchitup View Post
I get the feeling Garcetti wouldn't be against it if it wasn't so ridiculously tall.
Words is that he privately pledged support for the project last year, knowing this could potentially mean towers that were 500+ feet tall. I'd say he publicly reneged because it's what makes political sense, not because he's idealistically opposed.

Either way, still prefer him to Wendy Greuel.

http://handelarch.com/projects/type/...mixed-use.html

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 7:20 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Oh, this is nice. That's a quality project, right there. I, too, wouldn't mind them being brought down a few stories.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 9:18 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Oh, this is nice. That's a quality project, right there. I, too, wouldn't mind them being brought down a few stories.
Yeah, I'm no Nimby, but come on, that's the Capitol Records Building next door.

I was reading up on the Capitol Records Building. It was built in 1956. The height restriction in that area is 150 feet, or was. The spire atop the Capitol Records Building flashes out the message "Hollywood" in morse code.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 9:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Reminds me of that battle on Conan...(watch the video in the link)

http://curbed.com/archives/2011/11/1...conan.php#more

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 2:13 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I don't mind either one, but I'm a huge fan of the Capital Records Tower, so I hope they're shortened some. Either way, its nice to see some surface lots disappear and these will add density.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 5:54 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Another (much better) design:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:49 AM

i think if someone can put together a rendering of the Hollywood skyline with maybe 4 or 5 more 300 - 500 footers, it would make this look much more fitting. i personally have no problem with this proposed project, but it would be interesting to see the potential

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i think if someone can put together a rendering of the Hollywood skyline with maybe 4 or 5 more 300 - 500 footers, it would make this look much more fitting. i personally have no problem with this proposed project, but it would be interesting to see the potential
That being the case, I suppose I wouldn't mind. Could be another Century City type of skyline. Problem being the demand and the location. Wish it were so simple.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 7:40 AM

Rendering of the proposal from a different angle.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 11:35 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Still not bothered by the scale although I'm not at all a fan of the above design.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 1:32 PM
gettin' rich!

What is with height freaks in LA?

This is a great way to bring lots of people into the core. NIMBY's can sit on it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
What is with height freaks in LA?

This is a great way to bring lots of people into the core. NIMBY's can sit on it.
Part of it is people stuck in the 1950's, scared of height.

The other aspect is parking. There's a 20 story proposal for the corner of Hollywood and Gower that hasn't been been able to get off the ground because the neighbors have sued over the plans supposedly not including enough parking.

Either way, the neighborhood around Hollywood and Vine is going to develop nicely in the coming years. Lots of quality mixed-use projects in the pipeline, with several 20ish floor residential buildings planned or under construction.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Part of it is people stuck in the 1950's, scared of height.

The other aspect is parking. There's a 20 story proposal for the corner of Hollywood and Gower that hasn't been been able to get off the ground because the neighbors have sued over the plans supposedly not including enough parking.

Either way, the neighborhood around Hollywood and Vine is going to develop nicely in the coming years. Lots of quality mixed-use projects in the pipeline, with several 20ish floor residential buildings planned or under construction.
Terrible, I can't believe that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals