HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:14 PM

City pondering move to three-year budget cycle

Quote:
St. John’s city council is considering a staff proposal to change the timeline of its budgets.
Instead of presenting a one-year financial plan each December, the goal is to have a three-year budget which will correspond with the province’s property assesment cycle that city property taxes are based on.
Taxes are determined by multiplying the assessed value of a property by the mill rate, which the city can adjust annually.
The city’s director of finance, Bob Bishop, said linking the budget with the assessment cycle has a number of advantages...
read the full article at http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...anning-ahead/1

I dont know if i trust this or maybe its a good thing because its a longer scope to plan for.. i really dont know

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
New Rules for Wind Turbines in St. John's

This is interesting and belongs here and the west end thread so I'll post it in both (as it is general regulations but in response to a specific proposal)
Might be worth posting in the Atlantic Wind Turbine project thread too.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:01 AM

A question on the 190m contour development rule in St John's. I've seen it posted on here a few times but don't know where it comes from or why. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is it to do with water services? Greenspace conservation?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trend CJ View Post
A question on the 190m contour development rule in St John's. I've seen it posted on here a few times but don't know where it comes from or why. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is it to do with water services? Greenspace conservation?
It's to do with water, I guess it's more expensive to service.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trend CJ View Post
Above the 190m contour the flow of water through lines becomes difficult due to the elevation (pull of gravity, large amount of potential energy, whichever you wish to think of it as....just imagine taking a water hose and putting it on the bottom of a slide, and point the end of the hose up the slide. The water will only go so far up the slide before falling back down). To service these areas, extra equipment for pumping above the 190 would be required.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Yes, the 190 contour limit is due to water pressure, or lack of it. Water would have to be pumped to these areas which I presume are higher than the water supply sources.

It looks like this prime area of St. John's (O'Brien Farm) will be protected from development.

Quote:

O'Brien farm ideas floated at public meeting

From a petting zoo to a working farm, sleigh rides to a place to celebrate a dialect of the Irish language, there are no shortage of ideas for the future of the O'Brien farm in St. John's.

The farm, on Oxen Pond Road, operated from the 1800s until Aly O'Brien died in 2008.

Wednesday night, people had a chance to make suggestions on how the land should be used.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...eting-322.html

According to the map on the Pippy Park website, the farm is within the park boundaries. It's strange that it wasn't mentioned in the article, but I would think the park would have some say or plan for this area.

Quote:
Several original homesteads remain within the Park’s boundary. These include Mt. Scio Savory Farm, the O’Brien Farm, and the Kelly Farm.
http://www.pippypark.com/index.php?o...d=87&Itemid=70

http://www.pippypark.com/index.php?o...=article&id=89

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:07 AM

Petting Zoo? I'd be okay with that

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

So just being in Pippy Park doesn't protect it? I guess it could be used for some other purpose, but it seems they want to carry on the heritage of having a farm or farmlike area there. It's a lot of acres (32). Seems like the perfect place for another townhouse development, but that won't be happening.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
So just being in Pippy Park doesn't protect it? I guess it could be used for some other purpose, but it seems they want to carry on the heritage of having a farm or farmlike area there. It's a lot of acres (32). Seems like the perfect place for another townhouse development, but that won't be happening.
I would think that as long as it's in the Pippy Park boundaries that you would not be allowed to build there.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:55 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I would think that as long as it's in the Pippy Park boundaries that you would not be allowed to build there.
Except when you realize that the College and the University are also within the park.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I'll assume your just being sarcastic on the townhouse comment Architype. I am very pro development but certainly wouldn't want to see any kind of residential development in the park. As for MUN being withing the park boundaries, I believe that there is something in the park charter or legislation that allows for development of government and other public buildings. That is why you have confederation building, the marine insititure, the YMCA and other buildings within the park boundaries.

Also, didn't there used to be some sort of petting zoo in the park? I remember going there when I was still living in St. John's (over 20 years ago now). I believe it was up on Mt. Scio Rd somewhere. Anyone else remember this?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiedog View Post
Also, didn't there used to be some sort of petting zoo in the park? I remember going there when I was still living in St. John's (over 20 years ago now). I believe it was up on Mt. Scio Rd somewhere. Anyone else remember this?
The property that is now Rainbow Riders on Mount Scio Road was originally built by Pippy Park as the Petting Zoo. This replaced the older petting zoo that was further up Mount Scio near the bridge over Nagles Hill Brook.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:02 PM

Here's a GREAT video explaining the causes of sprawl the consequences and how to solve the problem using a hypothetical city, I think everyone should see this

http://vimeo.com/28464164

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:41 PM

Hey Architype, do you think you could post the links to the other St. John's topic threads on the main page of this thread? i've already lost track of all the discussions

thanks!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 12:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelane View Post
Hey Architype, do you think you could post the links to the other St. John's topic threads on the main page of this thread? i've already lost track of all the discussions

thanks!
Good suggestion, they're now added at the top of page one -

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...58#post3351958

Since the server upgrade, the site has restored all the old threads dating back to 2007 as well.

Last edited by Architype; Mar 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 12:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiedog View Post
I'll assume your just being sarcastic on the townhouse comment Architype. I am very pro development but certainly wouldn't want to see any kind of residential development in the park. As for MUN being withing the park boundaries, I believe that there is something in the park charter or legislation that allows for development of government and other public buildings. That is why you have confederation building, the marine insititure, the YMCA and other buildings within the park boundaries.

Yes, that was sarcasm, if it were not protected it would certainly be developed. But seeing as public buildings are allowed in some places that might have been possible too.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Here's a GREAT video explaining the causes of sprawl the consequences and how to solve the problem using a hypothetical city, I think everyone should see this

Tis a great video. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 7:38 PM

Last edited by ajcoffey; Mar 24, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 4:12 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

I saw it, good video, and pretty much what is happening in North American cities, and continuing in St.John's (ie. Southlands, etc.).

You can also embed it here by placing [ vimeo ] just the # alone [ /vimeo ] , no spaces -

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 9:20 PM

That video pretty much describes every problem with St. John's, and exactly how to fix it. Wonder if Doc has even seen it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's