HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:42 PM
There is always a way

Manitoba's oil... or so it was sold to us. It has yet to come to fruition.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

water is our oil we should invest in hydrogen tech here to hell with batteries

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:44 AM

'Our hearts are just filled with joy': 1st train arrives in Churchill after more than a year

"The community is planning a street party to celebrate on Thursday and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to attend."

Article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ives-1.4886923

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 11:38 AM

^ Nice ... I was starting to wonder if it would ever happen.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
'Our hearts are just filled with joy': 1st train arrives in Churchill after more than a year

"The community is planning a street party to celebrate on Thursday and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to attend."

Article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ives-1.4886923
They must of busted their assess to get the line fixed. Wasn't it only last August that they signed the deal? 2 months, I'm impressed!

BZ to the crew!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:10 PM

AGT Foods of Regina was a major partner in the consortium. They ship a lot of pulse crops to the world and are building a rail logistics hub east of Regina.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:39 PM

Killarney to get a new Firehall

http://killarneyguide.ca/2018/11/21/...big-donations/

New fire hall plans ignite, spurred by big donations
November 21, 2018 Headline News

Council preparing to send out tender packages for the $900,000 project
BY KIM LANGEN

With a massive financial boost hoisted by two local organizations, plans for a new fire hall have surged forward.

The Killarney Kinsmen announced during their Tuesday evening meeting that they will be supporting the $900,000 municipal fire hall project with a donation of $150,000, paid over four years.

And the Killarney Foundation just announced that they are throwing in a further $100,000, to be paid over two years, to the pot.

Then on Wednesday the local council voted (with a majority), during their regular meeting, to go ahead with plans to build the new, five-bay fire hall, on South Railway Street.

“Council voted this morning, and it was passed,” said the mayor for the Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain, Rick Pauls, following the meeting. “Today we voted to go to tender. That’s the big step, and it’s going ahead. It’s a done deal. The next step is the tender process, and we will be sending out tender packages soon. Construction should begin next spring.”

While council had been approved for a maximum debenture of $1.5 million for the new fire hall, Pauls said they don’t forecast the final bill to run that high.

“We expect the building itself to come in at around $900,000,” he said. “We always thought it would be under a million dollars. I’m very happy it’s going ahead, and these donations are great. Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could fundraise the whole thing?”

The wood construction building will be erected near to what was previously the old Paterson elevator site, near the corner of Broadway Avenue and South Railway.

“The site was acquired last year from the railway, and the zoning has been changed,” said Pauls.

And once the fire hall is completed, renovations will begin on the old fire hall location on Broadway, next to the Civic Office.

Plans are to extend into the old fire hall area from the adjacent civic offices, upgrading and expanding the entire building into one centre.

“As soon as the fire hall is out, I hope we can get onto the municipal office,” said Pauls.

The new fire hall location will greatly benefit the dispatch of emergency services, allowing them better access to roads in all directions, rather than exiting onto the town’s Main Street from the fire hall garage.

It will also provide indoor training space for fire fighters, and create office space.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 12:20 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That's actually pretty big.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:02 PM

That's good news. I sure hope this is the first step in a long period of business growth for the port and railway. I'm a firm believer that port is a key piece to both Manitoba and Canada's success in the north.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:20 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Who will use the port? By the time it closed it had no customers.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:37 PM

Develop the business. Ship grain or other commodities. Pull business from Thunder Bay. The mismanagement over the last 2 decades surely led to business going elsewhere. Even cargo. upgrade the rail line so it is reliable and solicit the major railways. CentrePort's business model relies on Churchill even.

Ice free seasons are getting longer. Russians, Americans, among others are poised to invade the Arctic for resources. Canada's only northern deep water port is in Manitoba. Important for both our country and business.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:01 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Develop the business. Ship grain or other commodities. Pull business from Thunder Bay. The mismanagement over the last 2 decades surely led to business going elsewhere. Even cargo. upgrade the rail line so it is reliable and solicit the major railways. CentrePort's business model relies on Churchill even.

Ice free seasons are getting longer. Russians, Americans, among others are poised to invade the Arctic for resources. Canada's only northern deep water port is in Manitoba. Important for both our country and business.
Precisely. Maybe it's just naive of me but I would like to believe that it could be an important cog in the formula for Manitoban success and become an important port. Let the Chinese buy it and they would turn it into a boom town.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:17 PM

Why is Thompson investing $3 in this a big deal?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Develop the business. Ship grain or other commodities.
Past grain shipments through Churchill existed only through subsidies from the CWB. MUCH cheaper to ship through Thunder Bay or west.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Past grain shipments through Churchill existed only through subsidies from the CWB. MUCH cheaper to ship through Thunder Bay or west.
Anything and everything about shipping through Churchill was subsidized, the bottom line is that it is now longer a viable port, look at the geography, how could it be!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:57 PM

So do nothing then? Ahhh, the Manitoba way lol

All seriousness though, make it viable. That's my point. Long term play.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
So do nothing then? Ahhh, the Manitoba way lol

All seriousness though, make it viable. That's my point. Long term play.
Good point, the question is how. Much cheaper shipping options exist in both directions from the prairies. The port shut down due to lack of customers. No one wants to lose money!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:17 PM

^ Ya I'm not sure exactly.

But I think they first need to make the rail line reliable. Upgrade, do something to stabilize it. Need to increase speed. If something takes 2 days to ship to Churchill when it only takes 12 hours to get to Thunder Bay, of course you go T Bay.

The advantage of shipping to Churchill vs Thunder Bay is direct access to the ocean. T Bay needs to navigate all the locks and the St. Lawrence. Churchill is open waters right out the port.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Ya I'm not sure exactly.

But I think they first need to make the rail line reliable. Upgrade, do something to stabilize it. Need to increase speed. If something takes 2 days to ship to Churchill when it only takes 12 hours to get to Thunder Bay, of course you go T Bay.

The advantage of shipping to Churchill vs Thunder Bay is direct access to the ocean. T Bay needs to navigate all the locks and the St. Lawrence. Churchill is open waters right out the port.
And just how long is the shipping season in Churchill, it's measured in weeks and not months.

FYI The port of Thunder Bay only really operates at 30% of capacity so there really is no need for a second port in central Canada~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan