HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:18 PM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
The Good Times
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The World's Piggy Bank
Posts: 3,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
At the time? A maximum security jail cell.
Why were you checked in to the grey bar hotel?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:55 PM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 17,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Nice Anecdote cities still have most of the violent crime and murders.
Really? 80% of the population has more than 50% of the murders? Could you be anymore off topic? Nice tangent to distract from the actual thread topic, which is the inevitable death of rural America.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...p-decline.html

The Hard Truths of Trying to ‘Save’ the Rural Economy

There are 60 million people, almost one in five Americans, living on farms, in hamlets and in small towns across the landscape. For the last quarter century the story of these places has been one of relentless economic decline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 4:11 PM
dc_denizen's Avatar
dc_denizen dc_denizen is offline
Selfie-stick vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York Suburbs
Posts: 5,812
no farms, no food.
__________________
Joined the bus on the 33rd seat
By the doo-doo room with the reek replete
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:13 PM
Jonesy55 Jonesy55 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You are out of your mind: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.18c8376009e2

Crime is higher in urban areas. How can you even pretend to believe otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Because it's the truth? Crime isn't higher in metropolitan areas.

And, putting aside your desperate attempt to change the subject (we were talking about the dangers of private trespass, not regional crime rates) because your link has nothing to do with what we're talking about? Gun-related homicides aren't linked to overall crime rates, and overall crime rates are linked to dangers of private trespass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
You're delusional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I grew up in rural America. The only person I knew who was murdered, was murdered in rural America. The only people I know who have been burgled by strangers are in rural America. The only murderer I've known personally (and who was not the person who killed the victim I knew) was in rural America. As an Adult, I've lived in Central Chicago for longer than any other place, and yet have never known a murderer, never known a friend or acquaintance who was murdered, and never known a friend whose home was burgled.

I've also known many people in rural areas who have committed assaults that would have gotten them arrested and convicted in an urban area who got away scott free because the victim didn't report it. Personally, I believe that crime has been higher on rural areas for a long time and is just under-reported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Nice Anecdote cities still have most of the violent crime and murders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
We can play this pointless game all day. I've known at least a dozen murderers and they were all in an urban area. So I guess by my personal experience 100% of murderers are in urban areas. This is obviously a ridiculous statement (especially since I've never really lived in a rural area) and what we need to discuss here is statistics, not irrelevant personal stories with minuscule sample sizes (your sample size is literally one murderer).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Really? 80% of the population has more than 50% of the murders?
Rather than argue it back and forth why not just look at the figures?

The FBI produces reported crime rate statistics for different crimes and compares them between large, medium and small cities plus non-metropolitan areas.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-16
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:35 PM
BrownTown BrownTown is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Rather than argue it back and forth why not just look at the figures?
Because Crawford refuses to accept those figures.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 7:14 PM
bnk's Avatar
bnk bnk is offline
પટેલ. કે ન
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 9,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Rather than argue it back and forth why not just look at the figures?

The FBI produces reported crime rate statistics for different crimes and compares them between large, medium and small cities plus non-metropolitan areas.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-16
That's pretty clear large cites are much more violent in every category of crime than rural areas. Its also known cities are more diverse and certain populations are more violent than others.

The stats don't lie.
__________________
facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 4:46 AM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
The Good Times
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The World's Piggy Bank
Posts: 3,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
That's pretty clear large cites are much more violent in every category of crime than rural areas. Its also known cities are more diverse and certain populations are more violent than others.

The stats don't lie.
In other words: it's common sense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 5:02 AM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 17,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
That's pretty clear large cites are much more violent in every category of crime than rural areas. Its also known cities are more diverse and certain populations are more violent than others.

The stats don't lie.
But A. We aren't talking large cities, we're talking metro areas (which are overwhelmingly suburban, and suburbs have lower crime than cities or rural areas) and B. That has nothing to do with anything, just an attempt to change the subject from dying rural America.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 5:03 AM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 17,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Because Crawford refuses to accept those figures.
I shouldn't indulge the off-topic dumbassery, but yes, please show us these figures.

Please show us the figures that rural America has lower overall crime rates than metropolitan America. Then explain what this has to do with anything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 5:26 AM
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 868
Very anectodal, but despite me only having lived in cities, the only person I know who was shot (my sister's boyfriend... he survived) was shot in middle-of-nowhere Wyoming.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 9:23 AM
Jonesy55 Jonesy55 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I shouldn't indulge the off-topic dumbassery, but yes, please show us these figures.

Please show us the figures that rural America has lower overall crime rates than metropolitan America. Then explain what this has to do with anything.
Lol, it's there in the link I posted. Of course that may be of topic, but I think the stats seem pretty clear.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:22 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I grew up in rural America. The only person I knew who was murdered, was murdered in rural America. The only people I know who have been burgled by strangers are in rural America. The only murderer I've known personally (and who was not the person who killed the victim I knew) was in rural America. As an Adult, I've lived in Central Chicago for longer than any other place, and yet have never known a murderer, never known a friend or acquaintance who was murdered, and never known a friend whose home was burgled.

I've also known many people in rural areas who have committed assaults that would have gotten them arrested and convicted in an urban area who got away scott free because the victim didn't report it. Personally, I believe that crime has been higher on rural areas for a long time and is just under-reported.
Although I of course appreciate anyone's experiences in any conversation, those experiences are anecdotal. But in any case, don't you think massive amounts of crime go unreported in Chicago too? I don't think people in the Austin neighborhood call the cops often.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:39 AM
Gordo's Avatar
Gordo Gordo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA/San Francisco, CA/Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 4,111
I don't really know why there are comments here like "no food without rural America" or similar. Of course some number of people are needed in rural America to grow food. The problem is that we need far fewer people in that line of work than we did in the past, but we use massive subsidies to keep more people there than the market would otherwise allocate. And even with those subsidies, there are still too many people in rural America, most not living a life that has anything to do with farming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:53 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I don't really know why there are comments here like "no food without rural America" or similar. Of course some number of people are needed in rural America to grow food. The problem is that we need far fewer people in that line of work than we did in the past, but we use massive subsidies to keep more people there than the market would otherwise allocate. And even with those subsidies, there are still too many people in rural America, most not living a life that has anything to do with farming.
I don't understand what we are saying or trying to say here though...

People shouldn't live in rural areas if they don't farm?
We shouldn't subsidize farming?

I mean, I really don't know what we're saying. I am at my mom's house right now in rural Arkansas. Its terrible. Trucks everywhere. Driving forever to get anywhere. Terrible built environment. Overall an environmentalist/urbanist nightmare. But, I dont even remember the original point of this thread... Do we want to ban them from the rural areas or are we just saying those dumb rednecks need *us* and we don't need them?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:01 AM
Gordo's Avatar
Gordo Gordo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA/San Francisco, CA/Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I don't understand what we are saying or trying to say here though...

People shouldn't live in rural areas if they don't farm?
We shouldn't subsidize farming?

I mean, I really don't know what we're saying. I am at my mom's house right now in rural Arkansas. Its terrible. Trucks everywhere. Driving forever to get anywhere. Terrible built environment. Overall an environmentalist/urbanist nightmare. But, I dont even remember the original point of this thread... Do we want to ban them from the rural areas or are we just saying those dumb rednecks need *us* and we don't need them?
I'm saying that there's no argument about whether we need people to live in rural areas to farm. There is a good argument that we shouldn't be encouraging more people to live there than would be supported by the market naturally, which is what we're doing now. If we remove all subsidies and people still want to live there, more power to them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:13 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I'm saying that there's no argument about whether we need people to live in rural areas to farm. There is a good argument that we shouldn't be encouraging more people to live there than would be supported by the market naturally, which is what we're doing now. If we remove all subsidies and people still want to live there, more power to them.
I got you.

I mean if I were to play God I would have all "non-essential" people move from rural areas and into the city(not metro area, but city). I would then allow nature to do her thing and take back the land and we would then have massive amounts of more wilderness. Like 70% of Arkansas would be pure nature and the other 30% farming.

But in the real world...some people just have preferences. I don't like farming subsidies because of my politics...but I cannot imagine they will go away anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:17 AM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
The Good Times
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The World's Piggy Bank
Posts: 3,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
The problem is that we need far fewer people in that line of work than we did in the past, but we use massive subsidies to keep more people there than the market would otherwise allocate.
This applies everywhere and that is the problem. Too many people all wanting a comfortable lifestyle, but don’t want to pay for it [the cost of living comfortably]

So what will happen? More people or the elite determining we can do more with less?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:16 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 17,326
Most farm subsidies have nothing to do with helping rural populations (which, as mentioned by others, are mostly not actually engaged in farming). The vast majority of those subsidies go straight to big agribusiness.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:28 PM
Leveled Leveled is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I got you.

I mean if I were to play God I would have all "non-essential" people move from rural areas and into the city(not metro area, but city). I would then allow nature to do her thing and take back the land and we would then have massive amounts of more wilderness. Like 70% of Arkansas would be pure nature and the other 30% farming.

But in the real world...some people just have preferences. I don't like farming subsidies because of my politics...but I cannot imagine they will go away anytime soon.
Why should I pay for your preferences?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:30 PM
Leveled Leveled is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Most farm subsidies have nothing to do with helping rural populations (which, as mentioned by others, are mostly not actually engaged in farming). The vast majority of those subsidies go straight to big agribusiness.
Are they still buying big ass luxury trucks that are subsidized?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.