HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
I played college soccer , natural grass and turf are not comparable. If the NFL can play on grass, we should be able to do the same. It's all about saving money, right ?
NFL stadiums don't have the use (public and otherwise) that Canadian stadiums do. We're not going to pour millions of public funds into something the public can't access. That necessitates the use of artificial turf. Depending on which study you read the costs of maintaining a turf surface are multiples of that of an artificial field.

I don't want to put my tax dollars towards a stadium I couldn't rent, for only a professional team to have access.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
NFL stadiums don't have the use (public and otherwise) that Canadian stadiums do. We're not going to pour millions of public funds into something the public can't access. That necessitates the use of artificial turf. Depending on which study you read the costs of maintaining a turf surface are multiples of that of an artificial field.

I don't want to put my tax dollars towards a stadium I couldn't rent, for only a professional team to have access.
BC Place, CenturyLink Field, Citrus Bowl, Gilette Stadium, Providence Park.

what they have in commun ? turf and football. the only stadiums in the MLS without natural grass .

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
It would be perfectly feasible to play a WC on artificial turf, there is nothing except ancient attitudes to prevent it. Attitudes will change even more in ten years time and FIFA has been a proponent of what they call "football turf" as a means to grow the game in places where a turf surface would be difficult to maintain.

But debating the field surface is a moot point because it isn't a big deal to change from an artificial surface to a turf surface with the lead time going into a World Cup

The WWC being a failure is complete bullshit for you to say and had you followed the research of the last three women's world cups, the one in Canada had the least amount of injuries (another myth busted)
You can debate World Cup Finals cities or even if Canada should even be in the picture, but if you think that a MEN'S World Cup will EVER be played on artificial turf instead of natural grass, then I am sorry to say that you are a f**king idiot. Nothing personal, but there is absolutely no situation where FIFA is ever going to sign off on plastic for it's Men's World Cup. Sure they did it for the women, but they could care less about the women. FIFA is a bunch of misogynist dinks and Blatter couldn't even be bothered to show up for the Women's Cup. No the Men's will always be grass, end of discussion.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:46 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Visualization of where this thread has gone.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
You can debate World Cup Finals cities or even if Canada should even be in the picture, but if you think that a MEN'S World Cup will EVER be played on artificial turf instead of natural grass, then I am sorry to say that you are a f**king idiot. Nothing personal, but there is absolutely no situation where FIFA is ever going to sign off on plastic for it's Men's World Cup. Sure they did it for the women, but they could care less about the women. FIFA is a bunch of misogynist dinks and Blatter couldn't even be bothered to show up for the Women's Cup. No the Men's will always be grass, end of discussion.
Nice name calling, useful to deflect the argument when you're uninformed, but like bamboo (later aluminum) vaulting poles and hockey goalies without masks, technology intercedes and its time will come.

There was/is? an artificial field being engineered with embedded LED lights. That could show the field markings, quickly changing from one sport to another or show ads on the field allowing for multiple sponsors on prime real estate.

But what do I know I'm a f**king idiot. I always have to question the intelligence of the first person who resorts to name calling when they can't provide an answer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
BC Place, CenturyLink Field, Citrus Bowl, Gilette Stadium, Providence Park.

what they have in commun ? turf and football. the only stadiums in the MLS without natural grass .
And your point is?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Nice name calling, useful to deflect the argument when you're uninformed, but like bamboo (later aluminum) vaulting poles and hockey goalies without masks, technology intercedes and its time will come.

There was/is? an artificial field being engineered with embedded LED lights. That could show the field markings, quickly changing from one sport to another or show ads on the field allowing for multiple sponsors on prime real estate.

But what do I know I'm a f**king idiot. I always have to question the intelligence of the first person who resorts to name calling when they can't provide an answer.
Okay I agree my statement was a little extreme, that is why I said "nothing personal", but IMO I feel that you are way off on this one. FieldTurf is not a technological improvement over natural grass. It is not an improvement in quality, it is an improvement in economics. It is an unwelcomed solution to situations where the facility sport activity level requires a change to a more durable surface for longer in the year. Fortunately high level soccer will almost always be played on natural grass and the Men's World Cup will most definitely be played on natural grass. However, I do agree that one day lighted fields with advertising, or line markers, or distance to first down, etc. is coming and will be quite common in 20 years or less.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
And your point is?
each stadium should have its own sport, no sharing.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Mar 31, 2016 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 1:17 AM

Quote:
each stadium should have its own sport, no sharing.
Are you willing to fund that with your tax dollars, most people in Canada aren't.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Are you willing to fund that with your tax dollars, most people in Canada aren't.
Saputo stadium
Quote:
The Quebec government put $23 million for the renovation and expansion of the stadium (the total cost of the stadium was therefore about $40 million).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saputo_Stadium

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 1:37 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Yes grammar. That sure helps your cause. I'm a high school drop out if I spell a few words wrong here and there I can live with it. My posts are not any more childish than "Their will be no world cup final in Edmonton because...well Edmonton" Is Toronto really on a pedestal so high that it can't be criticised?

We have a bunch of eastern forum members bashing western cities as if They are not on the same level as T.O and Montreal. I take offence to that because iv'e been to Toronto and Montreal and I can tell you it's not true. I'm gonna consider the source of who doesn't agree with my posts and move on because so far almost all of you are from Southern Ontario. Edmonton is a great city and has proven it Can handle these types of event's no problem. Vancouver also has an impressive resume with these types of events. Get over yourselves.
Saith the same guy that called Toronto and Montreal "dumps".

Criticize all you want, but be prepared to get called out on your bullshit, especially if it is a big stinking pile.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Saith the same guy that called Toronto and Montreal "dumps".

Criticize all you want, but be prepared to get called out on your bullshit, especially if it is a big stinking pile.
I never called them dumps. give it up

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
You can't play the World Cup on turf, you need natural grass. BC Place not natural grass. Canada will need to build at least 3 new stadiums. The women World Cup on turf was a complete failure. The field in Edmonton and in Ottawa reached 120-130F. cause it was shitty turf. and turf destroys your skin.

edit, ok I just saw that they won't replace the natural grass with turf at the BMO field. great news.
http://tipofthetower.com/2015/02/24/...tificial-turf/
You need to stop with this BS. In terms of a World cup host bill, It would cost literal pennies to temporarily convert every stadium in canada to natural grass. it's a drop in the bucket

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Saputo stadium
Considering the criteria the federal government has for handing out stadium money (international festival or partnered with an educational institution) that is probably one of the very few examples of any government providing money to a single sport structure.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Considering the criteria the federal government has for handing out stadium money (international festival or partnered with an educational institution) that is probably one of the very few examples of any government providing money to a single sport structure.
The Quebec City arena , $200M by the Quebec government. even though the arena serves more than 1 sport, its mainly use for hockey.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:34 AM

Quote:
You need to stop with this BS. In terms of a World cup host bill, It would cost literal pennies to temporarily convert every stadium in canada to natural grass. it's a drop in the bucket
Actually no it isn't, it'll cost, but it is something that is somewhat of a moot point. If it needs to be done it will get done.

Ten years from now there will be multitudes of kids who were trained on artificial turf only, it's getting that way now. There is a thread at Voyageurs about the acceptance of artificial turf with a few taking the attitude of some posters here.

Well, we've just played two qualifiers on it, with barely a word of protest from the CMNT or the opposition. It is less and less newsworthy with each passing year.

That anti artificial turf garbage at the WWC was a power play started and fueled by the USWNT using that as a BS argument towards equality. And by equality they meant pay equity something that they weren't going to get.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:36 AM

Quote:
The Quebec City arena , $200M by the Quebec government. even though the arena serves more than 1 sport, its mainly use for hockey.
No concerts, monster trucks, political rallies?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:39 AM

Quote:
I don't think there needs to be three new stadiums but if a WC was used as an excuse to build new in Hfx, Calgary and maybe even Quebec, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
No concerts, monster trucks, political rallies?
yes, but still. 2-3 concerts per month, its nothing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:55 AM

Quote:
yes, but still. 2-3 concerts per month, its nothing.
24-36 dates a year not including other events is nothing? Glad you're not managing my arena. And how many pro hockey or Rampart games 50? And the public can't get ice time there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada