HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Gateway Center South Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 1:04 PM
BANNED

Lightbulb PHILADELPHIA | Avenue Of The Arts Towers | PROPOSED

This yet unnamed project has gotten zoning approval.
From today's Globest.com:
http://www.globest.com/news/1024_102.../165515-1.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 1:07 PM
Hello

This will be an amazing addition to the continuation of the skyline down south Broad Street and the continued refinement of the Avenue of the Arts.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:17 PM

Is this site on the east side or west side of South Broad?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:57 PM
Corporate logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donybrx View Post
Is this site on the east side or west side of South Broad?
East. It's known as the Cirque du Soleil lot since they perform there each summer.

Quote:
Plans call for twin towers, which will be between about 30 and 37 stories each
I'm guessing it will be closer to 37 than 30. Don't want to piss off the neighbors...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:41 PM

Here is a bigger rendering from the Hawthorne Employment Coalition.

http://www.hecphilly.org/z-broadwash.htm -> has some older renderings of the project.

Last edited by TheMeltyMan; Oct 30, 2007 at 6:43 PM. Reason: frwfbiuerf

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:51 PM

late 2008 seems rather far away... but they still seem to be in the early stages. I dunno, I just get the feeling this isn't going to happen. Its just they aren't even thinking of breaking ground until then, plus market and blah blah and i dunno, I hope i'm wrong. Plus with the all the varied retail, hotel, both rental and a few condos and offices, it does sound like it should come about because of how varied it is. But i dunno, I just got this feeling. Really hoping i'm wrong.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:11 PM

To me, the towers look like mini-versions of Comcast.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:32 PM
HERO

they also look like 1441 cheasnut (i think thats it).
they look good though
by that pic they look grey, itd be awesome if they were green instead of blue, too much blue, and were just getting more
maybe though if its luxury it will be like 10 rit. brick!
does anyone have info on this?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
East. It's known as the Cirque du Soleil lot since they perform there each summer.

I'm guessing it will be closer to 37 than 30. Don't want to piss off the neighbors...
Thank yew Swiney. East side of Broad is good news. Together with Symphony House on the west side, these highrisers greatly improve the south looking vista down Broad St. It will no longer end wth a miles long low-rise clonk! visually from above Lombard. Or something like that....never mind.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:16 AM

Not to pee on anyone's fire here but I'm highly skeptical this project will ever see the light of day. What retailer would want to locate there? - so far from where most of the shoppers are? What hotel would want to be on the edge of CC? How would you attract visitors? I'm assuming any residential component will be very expensive to purchase? Potential buyers would want to buy closer to downtown.

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:39 AM

anyone knows this "locally based Rimas" Co.? are they serious / financially capable of pulling this project off?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 8:26 PM

Even though it is somewhat generic, I like the design. The center atrium with the stairs going up to a park on top of the parking garage is really cool.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 10:55 PM

They are doing 1352 lofts i believe. I don't think it has sold very well. This is the same guy that did the sidewalk grab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmx View Post
anyone knows this "locally based Rimas" Co.? are they serious / financially capable of pulling this project off?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:18 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo van gogh View Post
Not to pee on anyone's fire here but I'm highly skeptical this project will ever see the light of day. What retailer would want to locate there? - so far from where most of the shoppers are? What hotel would want to be on the edge of CC? How would you attract visitors? I'm assuming any residential component will be very expensive to purchase? Potential buyers would want to buy closer to downtown.

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.
You hit the nail on the head. Location, location, location. it SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS. But it would be a nice project if the neighborhood could have supported it. Maybe someday but not in my lifetime.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:19 PM
Loma Prieta quakesurvivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Location, location, location. it SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS. But it would be a nice project if the neighborhood could have supported it. Maybe someday but not in my lifetime.
I dunno...that area has seen activity...its not that far from Italian Mkt, and the shops at 11/Wash do well (viet huong pho is yummy)

Unless Target wants to move the store from the old Bradlees site on Snyder (horrible access and frontage except for the sign you wizz by on 95)....but agreed, the area has been slow to develop...the Bella Vista lofts have units with city views under $400M still for sale...

I dont care for the design...too reminiscent of world financial center in Battery Park for some reason...I would prefer offset heights...

But I will take it to have development at a key corner with some transit nearby!

Also
'public' gardens in the sky dont seem to fare well

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:59 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyscooter View Post
I dunno...that area has seen activity...its not that far from Italian Mkt, and the shops at 11/Wash do well (viet huong pho is yummy)
I am not saying the area won't progress. Somthing like target or Home Depot or Wallmart or other middle class retail would be ideal and successful. But hi-rise residential in these times means high construction costs which means luxury housing which means rich people who won't be drawn to this area IMO. Low rise, economically built residential and retail would be a sure thing. The problem is that this isn't the most profitable for the developer. Dranoff recognised that with his low rise project for the area.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 3:40 PM

something inventive, unique and perhaps "green" would be a great addition to that block. New construction LEED lofts with a walkable retail court a la "Liberties Walk" would be nice to see down there. But you're right, a luxury highrise buyer ain't goin down there to live. I think the M&G highrise loft planned for Callowhill would be great down there. With an REI, Starbucks, etc...bring some Indie/outdoor flavor down there...the Burberry/Coach crowd certainly won't be drawn there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 7:53 PM

I'd disagree that the location sucks. It's in a still gritty, yet an up-and-coming gentrifying neighborhood, and it's right on Broad Street, which means easy subway access. I'd personally rather live there than at Parkway 22 or even possibly the Murano.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 8:04 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
I'd disagree that the location sucks. It's in a still gritty, yet an up-and-coming gentrifying neighborhood, and it's right on Broad Street, which means easy subway access. I'd personally rather live there than at Parkway 22 or even possibly the Murano.
I concur, I think it is in a great location. The next wave of development will make that area really nice. Great access to the Broad Street Subway. On the Ave. of the Arts, close to Bella Vista and South Street. You can even walk to the Southwark projects.

Here is the rendering from the GlobeSt.com article.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 11:52 AM

neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
I concur, I think it is in a great location. The next wave of development will make that area really nice. Great access to the Broad Street Subway. On the Ave. of the Arts, close to Bella Vista and South Street. You can even walk to the Southwark projects.

Here is the rendering from the GlobeSt.com article.

Looks cool. And its center matches that cool, Greek-looking structure next door. What is it?

And aren't those projects gone?

Last edited by bucks native; Nov 4, 2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive