HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:21 PM

Cara seems to be having problems.. even though they're making money and buying up restaurant groups (they recently took over another Western chain - Original Joe's as well as St. Hubert from Quebec), their quality of restaurant is going downhill. Restaurants are dirty and in need of renovations, staffing is terrible, food quality is meh. We recently had 2 Swiss Chalets close in Metro Vancouver..

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 11:16 PM

Re: Milestones, let's not forget the location. I'm not saying every restaurant needs to be downtown but let's call a spade a spade, there wasn't much around there to make it a "night out". Perhaps they were hoping the theatres would open up as planned or that the offices would generate a lunchtime crowd, it was hardly a destination restaurant. There are no hotels nearby, except the Hampton over on Stavanger and I doubt if too many Costco shoppers were going to drop in for a bite after a hard day of shopping.

As for the local operators, from what I know they did not have any previous experience in this type of operation.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Re: Milestones, let's not forget the location. I'm not saying every restaurant needs to be downtown but let's call a spade a spade, there wasn't much around there to make it a "night out". Perhaps they were hoping the theatres would open up as planned or that the offices would generate a lunchtime crowd, it was hardly a destination restaurant. There are no hotels nearby, except the Hampton over on Stavanger and I doubt if too many Costco shoppers were going to drop in for a bite after a hard day of shopping.

As for the local operators, from what I know they did not have any previous experience in this type of operation.
Like Marty McFly I don't mind the food at Milestones, been there 3 or 4 times.
I don't mind trying something new to get out of the comfort zone, but location IS an issue. For me at least it's an out of the way place to eat. I know it's not Toronto, but the Torbay Road/Stavanger traffic drives me up the wall.
If it wasn't for Costco nothing would bring me to the east end of the city.
Once it's relocated it'll only be the airport that brings me to the east end.
Kinda wonder how it's moving will affect restaurants & other businesses in the area.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 2:59 AM

There's an application for a liquor license in the Telegram today for 14 Hebron way, which is Milestones. Looks like Cara took back the franchise from the franchisee and are starting again.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post

I agree, the new theatre development pulling out of that location definitely didn't help with patrons; however, there are quite a few businesses in that area now. You'd think that would help with foot traffic. Starbucks and Harvey's seem to be doing fine, but those cater to a different business model. The Dude Abides just mentioned a liquor license application for that location. Let's see if they can turn it around.

BTW, welcome to the forums The Dude Abides!

Last edited by statbass; Nov 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added text

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
You'd think that would help with foot traffic. Starbucks and Harvey's seem to be doing fine, but those cater to a different business model.
Quesada is quite busy as well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post
There's an application for a liquor license in the Telegram today for 14 Hebron way, which is Milestones. Looks like Cara took back the franchise from the franchisee and are starting again.
Maybe they lost their liquor license and decided to shut down operations until things were resolved. Lots of stuff that could be happening here in this situation.

It really is a bad location, but places like Quesada's, Cora's, and Wing 'n It are doing fine, so location can't be the sole reason for the closure.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 2:10 PM

I don't think Cora's is doing very well in this location. I have heard from numerous people that they are struggling badly. Except for Saturday and Sunday, which are very busy for them, they are otherwise extremely slow. The lack of hotels in this area are killing them. Think about it, who is going to Cora for breakfast in this area Mon-Friday ? I'm guessing not many. The fact that they are flagging down people in the Stavanger drive intersection, with a costumed frog, is a sure sign to me that they are slow.

Not exactly sure about Wing 'n it, other to comment on the fact that the 3 times I have been in this restaurant, it has been almost empty each time ! Maybe I have gone at slow times, not sure, but my feeling was they were not doing near the business as the other locations in town were doing.

Harvey's has really slowed since the initial craze of their opening as well. They never seem busy anymore.

Just my observations.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 2:53 PM

How much better would all those businesses do if you could somehow get from the airport, where all those hotels are going up, to that Hebron Way area without having to trek all the way around from that end of the airport, instead just cutting across. That would be huge for tourists.

Hell I was chatting with people from the RCAF side of the airport the other day and they expressed how more often they'd all go to Harvs, Milestones, etc. IF they could cut through from the end of RCAF road down in to that area behind Cdn Tire without having to go onto Torbay road. Once they're on Torbay road, the choices broaden.

A road really needs to be connected from RCAF to Hebron Way.

The development of that whole area: airport, hebron, stav, aberdeen, etc. has just been ridiculously mismanaged with zero foresight imo. The City has continuously demonstrated they have not one clue how to manage layout and road planning and businesses will begin paying the price and people just don't bother going because it's inconvenient.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:00 PM

Honestly I think for a restaurant like Milestones to succeed outside the downtown core it would really have to be near a high population office/tech park with a lot of middle management types....and we don't really have that here.

You could make an argument to build it near mun/confederation building area though..

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:32 PM

I've always thought that Milestones and Harvey's (the 2 original restaurants) opened there to take advantage of the Empire Theatre location that was cancelled after Empire was bought by Cineplex. Quesada, the Pita spot, Starbucks and probably Harvey's likely do well with the lunch crowd in the area now (Verafin, Crosbies). I can't see how the Cora's business model works well in general with the exception of Saturday and Sunday. I don't think Wingin It is doing well either.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Maybe they lost their liquor license and decided to shut down operations until things were resolved. Lots of stuff that could be happening here in this situation.

It really is a bad location, but places like Quesada's, Cora's, and Wing 'n It are doing fine, so location can't be the sole reason for the closure.

A liquor licence is generally tied to the name of the company (whatever the franchisee had his company named, "Smith Enterprises operating as Milestones" for example), so if Cara has removed the franchisee and is assuming control one of the first steps would be to acquire a new license.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 12:40 PM

Manchu Wok is opening in MUN's UC in January.

Manchu Wok to open in UC food court
Manchu Wok will be the newest addition to the University Centre food court, taking over the former Mr. Sub space, as of Jan. 2018. Manchu Wok serves fast, fresh Chinese cuisine, with an evolving menu that captures the Cantonese, Szechwan, Hunan and Mandarin regions. More specific details regarding the opening will be announced at a later date.

I've had Manchu Wok in Ontario and actually quite like it, so this is good news for me!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:28 PM

I work down at the hotel at the airport and have learned the Airport Authority are notorious for there snails pace in addressing and developing the surrounding areas around the airport. The RCAF roads are terrible and the gas station that is under construction on Tailwind Drive now has been in development for years and is only starting now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
How much better would all those businesses do if you could somehow get from the airport, where all those hotels are going up, to that Hebron Way area without having to trek all the way around from that end of the airport, instead just cutting across. That would be huge for tourists.

Hell I was chatting with people from the RCAF side of the airport the other day and they expressed how more often they'd all go to Harvs, Milestones, etc. IF they could cut through from the end of RCAF road down in to that area behind Cdn Tire without having to go onto Torbay road. Once they're on Torbay road, the choices broaden.

A road really needs to be connected from RCAF to Hebron Way.

The development of that whole area: airport, hebron, stav, aberdeen, etc. has just been ridiculously mismanaged with zero foresight imo. The City has continuously demonstrated they have not one clue how to manage layout and road planning and businesses will begin paying the price and people just don't bother going because it's inconvenient.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:35 AM

Just an FYI,
Just read in the Nov 13 Telegram a notice posted in the classifieds from Cara Ooerstions, owners of Milestones on Hebron Way seeking a liquor license for that location. Perhaps that why they closed, because of a liquor licence issue?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 12:02 PM

It only took 2 Years, but it looks like Yellowbelly FINALLY has their new TAKE OUT opened on Water Street ( Old Velma's Location ).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:19 PM

Just saw this on Facebook:

Announcing Boca, a Spanish Tapas Restaurant and Bar! Eat, Drink, Smile. Coming to 189 Water Street early December. 🍷

https://www.facebook.com/bocastjohns/?fref=ts is their Facebook page. It looks to be going in the old St. John's Chop House location.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:33 PM

Saw a Jumping Bean sign next to the new building with the take out window on Kelsey Dr.

Thought I'd seen some debate as to whether it was going to be a Starbucks or perhaps a Jumping Bean.

Not sure if it's been posted before, but I guess that answers it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:37 PM

New Pizza Places Shut Down Almost As Soon As Opening:
http://vocm.com/news/new-pizza-place...on-as-opening/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
New Pizza Places Shut Down Almost As Soon As Opening:
http://vocm.com/news/new-pizza-place...on-as-opening/
I'm not surprised. I tried the one on Kenmount Road as soon as it opened and was severely underwhelmed. I didn't think the first one would last, let alone trying to open five of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's