HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:32 PM

I'm on the fence about it..... The "Blob" affect over Wilshire looks interesting, especially driving under it, that will turn into a destination on its own. BUT. IT needs to be simplified once it crosses Wilshire. LACMA will be losing 5k sq ft of space, NO. ????

I mean, the current layout is EXHAUSTING to say the least and you miss most of the museum as is with all the weird, winding and dead end corridors. The blob affect is fine on the south side of Wilshire and its fine going over Wilshire. BUT. Once it crosses Wilshire, it needs to connect to a simple box(s) (cant believe I'm saying that). For a museum, simple boxes with big open spaces but crazy but subtle exteriors are always best. Like the Peterson auto museum across the street and even the Getty to some extent (even though its more curvy) and even the Broad to some extent.

The Tar Pits museum needs a makeover as well. It can also be done with a simple glass box exterior and what seems to be oozing streaks of tar being poured over it ???? ANYONE OUT THERE LISTENING ???? just a thought.

But....Wont all that natural lighting be bad for the exhibits ? especially the LA sun that gets real brutal in late summer

Last edited by caligrad; Oct 27, 2017 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:40 PM

The redesign is just cosmetic and still doesn't fill the needs of the museum. They need more floor space, lots more floor space, but this is almost the same square footage of the existing buildings, so they'll still have the same problem they're struggling with now. The windows create a new problem. Having sunlight entering an art museum exhibition space is a very stupid idea for archival reasons. Even indirect sunlight can damage art beyond repair over time. All they're really doing is trying to come up with something cool looking to stroke Govan's ego.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:49 PM

^^^ I thought with this redesign, they will actually lose 5,000 sq ft?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 6:02 PM

The steel columns on the sides of the main tower are falsework and will be used to support construction of the main span.

http://mailchi.mp/polb/gerald-desmon...-27-november-2

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:19 PM

Site has been cleared at 1355 Beverly Green Dr. (corner of Beverly Green/Pico in Century City). Zoned residential, but wonder if they're going commercial.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Will the new bridge be the first cable-stay bridge in LA metro?
I believe so - cannot think of another.
There's this pedestrian bridge in Wilmington.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...09231272293481

I think the Gerald Desmond replacement will be the largest cable-stay in California.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
The redesign is just cosmetic and still doesn't fill the needs of the museum. They need more floor space, lots more floor space, but this is almost the same square footage of the existing buildings, so they'll still have the same problem they're struggling with now. The windows create a new problem. Having sunlight entering an art museum exhibition space is a very stupid idea for archival reasons. Even indirect sunlight can damage art beyond repair over time. All they're really doing is trying to come up with something cool looking to stroke Govan's ego.
Govan claims that there will be more display space in the new building than the old ones.

Sunlight can be filtered. I suspect the glass will be laminated to provide the necessary protection. The new building will also have deep roof overhangs and deep setbacks (distance of walls from windows). It also appears that the longest horizontal expanse of glass has a northwest exposure. Indeed, it is worth noting that the deepest overhangs and setbacks are on the southwest side of the building. (Zumthor has given the problem some thought.)

The redesign is not just cosmetic. It is symbolic. The museum complex lacks an identity. The Piano additions just made the situation worse. The new building hovers and wraps around the remaining buildings, opens up sight lines that unite the campus, and creates a public square to the west.

It is not just something cool. It is visionary and has the potential to be as iconic as Walt Disney Hall. Great cities are made out of building projects like this one.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:26 PM

The Airport Park View Hotel on Century Blvd in Inglewood was purchased by Shomof for $18 million, who will renovate the property. It is across the street from the Stockbridge/Kroenke development and adjacent to the site of the proposed arena for the Clippers.

https://therealdeal.com/la/2017/10/2...hotel-for-18m/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:55 PM

^^^ So hes going back to his roots in redevelopment rather than tower construction ? good for him. HAHA.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:40 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:50 PM
Paramoderator

A box yes, but a box with a low key very interesting curtain wall design. I like how each window is slightly offset from the next. Could look very good in person.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Loving 631 Vermont. More of that near transit stops, please.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 10:00 PM

631 Vermont is so pretty

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:45 PM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:51 PM

LAX released a new video of the TBIT expansion

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
A box yes, but a box with a low key very interesting curtain wall design. I like how each window is slightly offset from the next. Could look very good in person.
A easy to design box, and still less aesthetically offensive than 80% of current proposals that pretend to try.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 9:06 PM

Blackcat, you should do an Urbanize post on the result of the Expo Line Transit Neighborhood Plan meeting and the changes the Abundant Housing LA guys where able to get. Or get Josh or Brent Gaisford to write an op-ed about it. I think it's important for YIMBYs to know that speaking out can result in real change.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Govan claims that there will be more display space in the new building than the old ones.
I may have been overly cynical in my original post, but the main problem I see is lack of enough storage space, and space for the Conservation Center laboratories, not exhibition space. Even if they doubled the exhibition space, only about 5% of the collection could be displayed, currently only 2.3% is displayed, the rest is in storage. Putting all the exhibition space on one floor is a good idea, because they are having problems getting visitors to flow upstairs in the current buildings. Part of the new building plan is to make some of the storage viewable from public vantage points, but that actually uses more space than regular storage facilities. Museums aren't just show business, part of the museum's mission is to provide access to scholars who research obscure objects deep in the collection that never get put on display. In my line of business I've dealt with directors and curators at various art museums off and on for almost 25 years, and this is a growing problem at a lot of them. Rich people keep donating huge art collections, and they're running out of room for all of it.

All that said, I just now found this article from July about LACMA developing a satellite site at South Los Angeles Wetlands Park (55th and Avalon), where they want to convert an empty 84,000-square-foot building for exhibition space and additional storage. That'll help.

LACMA Plans Ambitious Satellite in South LA to Reach More Angelenos Where They Live
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/la...ngeles-1033598

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:32 AM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Ok back to topic.
Thank you. It finally came to an end.

I am glad that the Trammell Crow Company is moving forward.
The design is nice and I don't even mind all those parking spots.

Real DTLA Development Group

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations