HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:26 AM
Funkytown's finest

New skyscraper ideas for Fort Worth...

I'm an architect major and a Fort Worth native. I love buildings and I love my city.... and HATE the skyline.

I'm just throwing out ideas for new skyscrapers for the city.

Feel free to hate them, but just know that these are just sketch models.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:27 AM
Funkytown's finest

XTO HQ.......

This is my model of the former planned 50 story XTO Tower that was going to replace the Landmark Tower.

Now before you start pointing out the flaws in this building remember, this is just a SKETCH model. this isn't up to scale and this isn't exactly what I want it to look like, but it is the main idea.

Here's the building...

... looking up at it from street level...

East to west elevation

North to South elevation

And here's a height comparison of the XTO with the curent tallest building in Fort Worth.

And here's my inspiration for this tower, the Bank of America Center in Houston

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:01 AM
Meh

Overall, I like it, but I think the spires are a little overdone. I like the color and facade and setback design.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:53 AM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Overall, I like it, but I think the spires are a little overdone. I like the color and facade and setback design.
Thanx.
Downtown Fort Worth is known for it's older architecture, and I wanted to reflect that by making it in an art deco style.

The facade is supposed to be pink granite. And the silver part is metal.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:48 PM

Might I suggest that it is too monolithic at ground level? I wanna see retail on there and a human-scaled facade on the lower levels.

/urbanist-rant

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:13 PM
Squint Like Clint

I like it, I think it would be a nice addition to the Fort Worth skyline! I do, however agree with Kevin above, you might take the spires down a little in height, that would make it look better IMO.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:55 PM
Meh

I like the idea of the spires, though, but they're too large for the building. Maybe make them a little smaller. One of my favorite buildings around resembles this one somewhat. Indianapolis' Chase Bank Tower which is 700 feet tall to the roof with 48 floors, but has twin spires that take the height to 811 feet. That building is really nice looking because of it's proportions.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...napolis-in-usa

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:05 PM
Funkytown's finest

The size of the building is a lilttle to big to fit in that block, as you can clearly see. It's not to scale, so that's why it looks more like something you'd see in Houston... I'll fix that eventually when I get the chance, but right now I'm just working on sketches.

And trust me, half the buildings I'm gonna make will have retail and human scale development (some will be mixed use even).
Especially with this building's placement, being about 2 blocks away from The Tower and 3 away from the core of Sundance Square, so it should have something to attract more than just businessmen.

I'll work on the replacements of the AT&T Building and curent City Hall, next.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:38 PM
Funkytown's finest

New Buliding:

PANTHER TOWER
971 ft.
56 stories

lookin up from ground level

Example of ground level retail

elevation

Comparison to the current tallest building....

View from the south end of the Convention Center....

The buiding it would replace....

And finally the inspiration

First off, this didn't come out exactly as I wanted. The idea is there but this isn't quite what I had in mind (when I was workin on this thing, i just kept going and didn't stop).

Second, this building is suposd to be a replacement of the butt-ugly AT&T Building. It may never happen. But if so, I'm throwin this on the table.....
And of course, the inspiration for this is the Empire State Building. Since it would be right next to our Flatiron Building, I thought it would just fit... to add some sort of New York Flavor to it. And it has space for retail on its four corners.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 8:52 PM
Squint Like Clint

I like it!

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 2:41 AM
Funkytown's finest

New Building:

The NEW AT&T Building with the former F.W. Municipal Building.

?
536' ft
34 stories (37 with Municipal Building)
?

Now be for I begin with this one... YES, I know there's just a plain white box on the bottom of the tower. Well, the reason for this. If (and I say, when) the city moves City Hall from the bland, white box of the current Municipal Building to the current Old post office, that building would stay put. So, I decided to just build on top of it........ hey, it could happen.

The "Southwestern Patern" on the side of the building.

Looking up from street level.... with the AT&T ball at the end.

The zig zag pattern on the sides.

Elevation

Comparison with current tallest....

And just for kicks, I decided to put the AT&T ball on top of the crown, just to see how it looks.....

I know the first thing that comes to mind when you see this is.... "80's".... VERY 80's.
But this was intentional. I wanted this to look like a Southwestern building... so I added the southwestern pattern on the sides, gave it a zig-zag on the other sides, and gave the whole building "Southwestern Colors". The crown looks NOTHING like I want it too, but then again, I have no clue what I really want it to look like. But the basic idea is there.

And I don't know if the ball looks better on the side, closer to street level or on top of the building......

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:33 PM

One thing to think about - the best buildings in Downtown Fort Worth are, by and large, not the ones that take up an entire city block. They're the ones that take up a quarter or a half of a block. Downtown Fort Worth has very small blocks - they are well-suited to shorter, less imposing buildings.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 7:33 AM
Meh

Interesting concept with the crown.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:37 PM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Glee View Post
One thing to think about - the best buildings in Downtown Fort Worth are, by and large, not the ones that take up an entire city block. They're the ones that take up a quarter or a half of a block. Downtown Fort Worth has very small blocks - they are well-suited to shorter, less imposing buildings.
Well some of the buildings I'm making are in bigger squares (like the City Hall block or the AT&T building).
As of right now, I'm just working on the taller buildings and will work on that former 60 floor, Block TU building.... at least that's what I think it was called. I can't remember.

And the crown of the new AT&T building is still a work in progress....

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 6:32 AM
Funky Urbanist

It would be interesting to see these how these building impacts on the skyline. Rendering maybe?

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 6:41 AM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinmiles View Post
It would be interesting to see these how these building impacts on the skyline. Rendering maybe?
I could try..... but it might take a while.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:45 PM
Funkytown's finest

New Building

Fmr. Block TU Tower
991 ft.
60 Stories

I used the original idea of the 60 floor, 900 footer that was suposed to be built in that parking lot bound by 7th, 8th, Calhoun and Jones streets. Only I redesigned it.
From this:

to this:

No I know it looks HUGE, but I did my mesurements on Google Earth and I'm 95% sure this is the right size. And I wanted the residential part to be closer to the ground than the Office part of the tower.

Here's the Garage. It has ground level retail and features two GIANT billboards on both sides and 4 LED screens (as homage to the old Tandy Towers) to display messages. It's white on the retail sides and has grey tile, with the billboards and screens on the garage entrance sides.

Here's the top of the building, which I call, the "shades".

Looking up from the street:

Elevation

Comparison to the current tallest:

...... and while we're at it, let's look at the other tallest in Texas.....

Houston:

Dallas:

San Antonio:

Austin:

and finally, El Paso:

Now, I'm a big skyscraper lover.... but even I have to admit, this may be a little too big for Fort Worth.

Well, for now, anyway.....

BTW, the next building I do will also be modern. Sorry for those who hate that.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:34 AM

Pretty Nice! I like it, although the parking is quite large, maybe some underground parking can reaplce some of those levels.

Can't wait for the next building!

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:04 PM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Pretty Nice! I like it, although the parking is quite large, maybe some underground parking can reaplce some of those levels.

Can't wait for the next building!
Thanks. The Megarage was actually bigger than this, at first. Still, I wanted it to be around this tall, since that was the original plan.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:04 PM
Funkytown's finest

New Building:

American Airlines Building
417 ft.
32 stories

Ground level

The Restaurants/shops and Balcony.

Since this building will be in Sundance Square, I think it wouldn't be right if this wasn't mixed use.

The Star Pattern on the back

Looking up from ground level

Elevations:

North

South

Comparison to curent tallest

I gotta say, this building turned out smaller than I first thought... but then again, when you look at the location, I think it's good at this size.

This building would be in Sundance Square (the parking lot right infront of The Tower between Throckmorton/Houston and right on W 4th). I wanted this to have an airplane them, but at the same time, make it look like an older style building, since it's in Sundance. The bronze star designs on the back were put there to represnt Texas and the metal accents represent the planes. I think subconsciously, I was thinking about 60's style buildings while making this. The garage part of this building is plain, which would open up development for smaller, more human-scaled projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral