ONDP -> OLP
Bramalea-Gore-Malton
Davenport
Parkdale-High Park
Trinity-Spadina

ONDP -> PCPO
Essex
Niagara Falls

I don't see London North Centre going NDP. Deb Matthews has a pretty strong base in London - she's the health minister and deputy premiere and Londoners will want someone in cabinet like this to make sure the city isn't forgotten.

In Essex, the NDP incumbent is pretty strong and I don't see that riding going PC. Way too much anti-Hudak spreading outward there from suburban Windsor.

Windsor West has a chance of switching to NDP but I also think residents there see the benefit of holding onto a Liberal cabinet minister.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:58 PM

As for how I spoiled? I cast a blank ballot or wrote a note of civil negativity (i.e. no foul language - polite yet blunt) attacking all parties.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:44 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I wish people would stop thinking they know what government is going to form. We could still end up with a PC minority or (God forbid) majority.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:05 PM

Sometimes we're surprised, but polling and history go a long way to predicting outcomes.

I was surprised a couple weeks ago talking to some relatives in SW Ontario how much they hate Hudak. They totally hate the Liberals, whom they still associate with McGuinty, but will not vote for Hudak. They lean right so there is simply no option for them in this election. I think a lot of people are in that boat.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I don't see London North Centre going NDP. Deb Matthews has a pretty strong base in London - she's the health minister and deputy premiere and Londoners will want someone in cabinet like this to make sure the city isn't forgotten.

In Essex, the NDP incumbent is pretty strong and I don't see that riding going PC. Way too much anti-Hudak spreading outward there from suburban Windsor.

Windsor West has a chance of switching to NDP but I also think residents there see the benefit of holding onto a Liberal cabinet minister.
To continue, the Liberal still have strong polling number in Eastern Ontario, and are fairly strong in Ottawa. The mayor, Jim Watson, is a former Liberal and is heading for re election. I suspect Ottawa Orleans and Prescott Russel, will stay Liberal.

An other issue, is the light rail expansion to Orleans is supported by the Liberal but opposed by the PC. That could also influence the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Sometimes we're surprised, but polling and history go a long way to predicting outcomes.

I was surprised a couple weeks ago talking to some relatives in SW Ontario how much they hate Hudak. They totally hate the Liberals, whom they still associate with McGuinty, but will not vote for Hudak. They lean right so there is simply no option for them in this election. I think a lot of people are in that boat.
The Hudak hate can be very strong in Ottawa and Prescott Russell, especially among francophone, because Hudak is associated to the Harris government. The local candidates are respected, but the Leader does influence the vote.

Last edited by Ottawa superman; May 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:33 PM

Yet Stephen Harper doesn't seem to be hated nearly as much in those parts of Ontario...most of the hate for him is in the urban core areas where any kind of Conservative would likely finish a distant 3rd, or even 4th.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Yet Stephen Harper doesn't seem to be hated nearly as much in those parts of Ontario...most of the hate for him is in the urban core areas where any kind of Conservative would likely finish a distant 3rd, or even 4th.
Federal != Provincial. We're talking about a province that simulatenously supported Mike Harris and Jean Chretien.

In any case, the federal Liberals have had a constant lead over Harper's Conservatives for almost a year now, with LPC support in Ontario often over 40%.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:28 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Yet we're getting more and more inaccurate with our predictions and speculations.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Yet we're getting more and more inaccurate with our predictions and speculations.
I thought the polls had been relatively accurate. The liberal surge in Quebec was detected before the election. The NDP and conservative surge in 2011 was accurate before the federal election.

Wynnes problem is that she better hope the party didn't peek to early.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 12:12 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
I thought the polls had been relatively accurate. The liberal surge in Quebec was detected before the election. The NDP and conservative surge in 2011 was accurate before the federal election.

Wynnes problem is that she better hope the party didn't peek to early.
The same pollsters initially predicted a PQ majority in Quebec, and a landslide Wildrose victory in Alberta.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
The same pollsters initially predicted a PQ majority in Quebec, and a landslide Wildrose victory in Alberta.
Depends on the pollster except for wildrose, that was a big screw up.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:28 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
As for how I spoiled? I cast a blank ballot or wrote a note of civil negativity (i.e. no foul language - polite yet blunt) attacking all parties.
Could you explain why you wouldn't just decline the ballot?

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:17 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Spoiling a ballot sends a stronger message. It says "I came out here, waited in line, proved who I am, got behind a booth/divider, and deliberately spoiled my ballot. That is how fed up I am with the system and the parties involved."

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:08 AM

Spoiling your ballot is easily confused with someone who unintentionally filled it out incorrectly, declining a ballot can only be done purposefully.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Spoiling your ballot is easily confused with someone who unintentionally filled it out incorrectly, declining a ballot can only be done purposefully.
Depends on how you spoil. The way eternallyme suggested works well.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I didn't know it was an option. I know federally it is not.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
Depends on the pollster except for wildrose, that was a big screw up.
The initial PQ majority polls were real, but the talk of separation killed them later on.

The Wildrose were likely not ahead as much as they wanted to punish the PC's and they were a default option (they aren't going Liberal or NDP).

The BC polling issue...well...hard to explain that.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Apparently, that's illegal. ,

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:50 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...656964?cmp=rss

Wynne is walking into a minefield now. Horwath needs to steer clear and say no to any formal coalition, especially in a PC minority, since she would be seen as propping up corruption. When the Liberals, NDP and Bloc proposed the coalition in 2008, their poll numbers tanked and the federal Conservatives were in absolute majority territory in Ontario (the post-coalition polls had them around 55% in Ontario, which is about where the federal Liberals were in the Chretien era).

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 7:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nothing wrong with a coalition government.

If the PC get a minority, let them table a budget. If the PC can't get the approval of the Liberal or NDP than they can form a partnership much like the Peterson/Rae agreement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario