HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:26 AM
TL;DR

That's the New Orleans Arena, right next to the Superdome. It's been around since before Katrina, when we lured the Hornets.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 1:31 PM

Wendell Pierce Plans Sterling Express on Tchoupitoulas

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:45 PM

Mid-City Market

Also, the latest site plan has a few more lessees. I don't remember seeing them before: albeit "proposed", are Ochsner Clinic, Panera Bread, Pizza Hut and Leslie's Pool Supplies. Sounds like some nice additions if it comes to pass.

Mid-City Market

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 10:09 PM

Official Word on Mid-City Market

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...finish-complex

Quote:
New Orleans — Hurricane Isaac and some design issues delayed the opening of the anticipated Mid-City Market on North Carrollton Avenue by about four months, but crews are now working at full speed in hopes of completing the project by the summer.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 2:36 PM

Claiborne near Dome

This is not the coroner's building, but it's very close. What are they building on this parcel though? Owned by "Euphrosine Properties" ....

Oh i just answered my own question...quick search in the secretary of state corporation database lists Barry Kern as an officer.

That makes sense since the big white building to the north is the Muses den.

Looks like another mardi gras den! Better than a blighted lot, but nothing thrilling..well kind of.

Anyway, here's the property if you're curious:

http://qpublic6.qpublic.net/qpmap4/m...ls+roads+lakes

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 6:27 PM
TL;DR

Dens aren't usually new construction, right?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 6:59 PM
-

One cool thing they are doing for Super Bowl is they are going to have giant illuminated roman numerals floating in the river throughtout the event ...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
One cool thing they are doing for Super Bowl is they are going to have giant illuminated roman numerals floating in the river throughtout the event ...
WTF THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, dens usually aren't new construction as far as I know...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 7:24 PM

Little Gem Saloon

Nola.com has a nice article on the redevelopment of the Little Gem Saloon on Poydras and S. Rampart as well as the Civic Theater a few blocks away. Now if we could only get that row of buildings down Rampart redeveloped, not to mention the former Rault Building...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...z_landmar.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
WTF THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, dens usually aren't new construction as far as I know...
While they arent usually they have kind of run out of options of where to put these things and he doesnt have any extra room at Mardi Gras world. Plus some of these older dens have been battered these last few years by the hurricanes and that can damage the floats.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Now i can't wait to see it!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 8:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwin514 View Post
Now i can't wait to see it!
One of the major events that the host committee will be producing is the Verizon Super Bowl Boulevard, which will be a four-day event with five stages of musical performances, food and beverage offerings, live national television broadcasts, and interactive fan attractions along the Mississippi River at Woldenberg Park. In addition to the scenic backdrop of the Mississippi River and local entertainment, the event will feature the iconic Super Bowl roman numerals floating from a barge on the majestic river. The event is set to begin on Thursday, January 31st and run through Super Bowl Sunday.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianal...er-bowl-xlvii/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 2:49 PM

Theatres @ Canal Place

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf...ce_expans.html

Quote:
Theatres at Canal Place expansion set to open on Nov. 9

The expansion of The Theatres at Canal Place is almost ready for its close-up. Southern Theatres, the locally owned movie-theater chain that runs the five-screen, high-end multiplex, is preparing to unveil the four-screen expansion on Nov. 9.

That's the same opening weekend as "Skyfall," the newest James Bond adventure, which Southern Theatres owner George Solomon said is a bit later than he had hoped, but an outside company hired to assist with the installation of the projectors is running behind schedule....

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:06 AM
TL;DR

Wow. 9 screens is awesome for a downtown theater. I wonder where they are getting room for expansion?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wow. 9 screens is awesome for a downtown theater. I wonder where they are getting room for expansion?
They're taking over the Southern Rep and Rhino Gallery spaces shown here. It's kind of weird that it's not contiguous with the other 5 theaters, but I guess it's all indoors, so...

Last edited by MNT; Oct 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM. Reason: whoa! big image.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:26 PM
TL;DR

I assume they'll go up to 10 or 11 when Sbarro's lease runs out. Then they can have dedicated elevators too.

I've always hoped for a downtown megaplex, but it seems like one is forming right under my nose!

On a different note, the vacancy rate at Canal Place doesn't bode well for Riverwalk. Hopefully the two together can establish some kind of critical mass.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 5:43 PM

I thought that the Theatres are taking over Sbarro and that cookie shop spaces also. If you've been recently, that entire area from Sbarro to Rhino Gallery has been walled in.

I just did a location search on the Sbarro website, and only Lakeside and Esplanade pops up.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillardAlum View Post
I thought that the Theatres are taking over Sbarro and that cookie shop spaces also. If you've been recently, that entire area from Sbarro to Rhino Gallery has been walled in.
That makes more sense. The NOLA.com article doesn't mention it, but it's logical that a theater + restaurant wouldn't want a Sbarro in the middle of it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
On a different note, the vacancy rate at Canal Place doesn't bode well for Riverwalk. Hopefully the two together can establish some kind of critical mass.
Have not been in a while, are there a lot of vacancies at Canal Place?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Have not been in a while, are there a lot of vacancies at Canal Place?
I was there a few months back and did not notice many vacancies, just that about half of the stores were anything but upscale, which is what I would expect being that Saks is the anchor. Really aside from Brooks Brothers, Allen Edmonds, and Banana Republic everything is pretty underwhelming. Too many junk and trinket type of businesses, Heck the Sunglasses Hut does not even carry Persol, Ray Ban is about as highend as they get. I remember at one point there was a Williams Sonoma and a Pottery Barn, but both are gone post-K. Personally I would love to see an Apple store and an Omega boutique as I'm partial to both, but I would be good with anything that replaces the junk and trinket shops.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations