HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the list of planned street infrastructure projects in Moncton for the upcoming year:
Quote:
Street Reconstruction

Bennet Ave. from Camden Cres. to Dickson Blvd.
Hows Cres. from Beaton Ave. to Milner Rd.
Llangollen Rd. from Civic No. 80 to End
MacDonald Ln. from Shediac Rd. to Storey East Rd.
Waterloo St. from Euston St. to Foundry St.
Euston St. from Albert St. to Waterloo St.
Bishop St. from MacWilliam Ln. to Clifton St.
Stewart St. from Main St. to End
Church St. from Mountain Rd. to Hester St.
Crown Cres. from Chelsea Rd. to Chelsea Rd.
Chelsea Rd. from Mount Pleasant Rd. to Upland Rd.
Martin St. from Mill Rd. to Palisade Dr.
Palisade Dr. from Martin St. to Civic No. 76/78

Street Resurfacing

Mill Rd. from Martin St. to Bathurst St.
Edmonton Ave. from Vaughan Harvey Blvd. to War Veterans Ave.
Essex St. from War Veterans Ave. to Lockhart Ave.
Connaught Ave. from Edgett Ave. to Wheeler Blvd.
Ashley Cres. from Logan Ln. to Glencairn Dr.
Glendalea Cres. from Meadowdale Dr. to Frampton Ln.
Mountain Rd. from Woodhaven Ct. to Civic No. 3058
Donald Ave. from Elmwood Dr. to Clement-Cormier St.
Mount Pleasant Rd. from Mountain Rd. to Civic No. 72

Street Microsurfacing

Assomption Blvd. from Vaughan Harvey Blvd. to Main St.
Lewisville Rd. from Hall’s Creek Bridge to City Limits
Main St. from Bendview Ct. to Mechanic St.
McLaughlin Dr. from Hennessey Rd. to Civic No. 684
McLaughlin Dr. from Morton Ave. to Edmond St.
Millennium Blvd. from Ninth St. to Russ Howard Dr.
Salisbury Rd. from Wheeler Blvd. to Civic No. 235
Ryan St. from Evergreen Dr. to Augusta St.
Shediac Rd. from Lewisville Rd. to Vista Dr.
Vaughan Harvey Blvd. from Collishaw St. to St. George Blvd.

Sidewalk Installation

Mapleton Rd. from TCH Ramp to Queensway Dr.
MAP:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New francophone school to be built in Moncton for kindergarten to Grade 8
Location of school to be chosen later
Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Apr 11, 2018 5:20 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cton-1.4614987

Quote:
The school is being build to deal with the growing number of students attending École le Sommet and École Champlain.

"There was an urgent need to build a new school in Moncton to make up for the lack of space in current schools," Paul Demers, the chair of the district education council in Francophone Sud, said in a government news release.

The location of the new school will be chosen this fiscal year.
This on top of the following:
- new anglophone middle school for the northwest end (construction to begin this year)
- new anglophone school to replace Bessborough & Hillcrest schools (approved, preliminary planning underway)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
New francophone school to be built in Moncton for kindergarten to Grade 8
Location of school to be chosen later
Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Apr 11, 2018 5:20 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cton-1.4614987

This on top of the following:
- new anglophone middle school for the northwest end (construction to begin this year)
- new anglophone school to replace Bessborough & Hillcrest schools (approved, preliminary planning underway)
They probably already have locations picked out, and will narrow it down. If so behind Palisade Dr. Should be at the top of there list since it is almost centrally located in between École le Sommet and École Champlain.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 10:56 PM

Royal oaks still has lots of land for sale

in all seriousness though there is a lot of francophone students north of the highway that are bussed all the way into champlain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
They probably already have locations picked out, and will narrow it down. If so behind Palisade Dr. Should be at the top of there list since it is almost centrally located in between École le Sommet and École Champlain.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post

in all seriousness though there is a lot of francophone students north of the highway that are bussed all the way into champlain.
If that is the case they could probably build it next to The New Moncton High School. But probably wont... Since they don't want more development north of the TCH. A new school would probably push new development quicker.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

I dare say you're correct about this, but the Department of Education is probably terrified of another MHS fiasco.........

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I dare say you're correct about this, but the Department of Education is probably terrified of another MHS fiasco.........
Speaking of. I found out where the Westend Replacement school is suposed to go, and people are unhappy.

Land off Millenium Blvd. Might have been already been purchased because acording to news sources residents of Both Bessborough, and Hillcrest are not having any of it. Hillcrest there are less angry parents because there are less students who walk to Hilcrest. But the rage is on.Nimby's turned into Yimby.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:53 PM

This is actually like the MHS fiasco, with the exception that the location is not horrendous. A developer wants a school to help sell his property.

That being said Bessborough is one of the safest and walkable neighbourhoods in Moncton for kids to get to school(considering moving there myself because of this). There will be alot less kids walking to school if they move it across a busy st like st George, into the mini industrial park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Speaking of. I found out where the Westend Replacement school is suposed to go, and people are unhappy.

Land off Millenium Blvd. Might have been already been purchased because acording to news sources residents of Both Bessborough, and Hillcrest are not having any of it. Hillcrest there are less angry parents because there are less students who walk to Hilcrest. But the rage is on.Nimby's turned into Yimby.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
This is actually like the MHS fiasco, with the exception that the location is not horrendous. A developer wants a school to help sell his property.

That being said Bessborough is one of the safest and walkable neighbourhoods in Moncton for kids to get to school(considering moving there myself because of this). There will be alot less kids walking to school if they move it across a busy st like st George, into the mini industrial park.
I agree.

The Franklin Yard site actually has some merit (more space, proximity to the CN Sportplex, bordering Centennial Park), but it is certainly more inconvenient to the west end than Bessborough is (the current school location is ideal) and the idea of having to cross St. George Blvd for walking students would certainly give a lot of parents the willies.

This has the potential to be a major grass roots powder keg similar to MHS (although MHS was completely indefensible).

FWIW, I heard that the developer is proposing the idea of having bus access to the new school (if built at the Franklin Yard site) off of Millenium, but have the auto access for drop off students from St. George via a roadway to be cut through Centennial Park (presumably from the perimeter road that already exists). If this is true, the idea of increased vehicular traffic in the park would also bring out additional protesters of the tree-hugging variety........

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:56 PM

If you are on the topic of safety, isn't Bessborough parents suggesting to build on the same site? I've been told there is not nearly enough land there to build a new school while kids are attending classes.

Quote:
I agree.

The Franklin Yard site actually has some merit (more space, proximity to the CN Sportplex, bordering Centennial Park), but it is certainly more inconvenient to the west end than Bessborough is (the current school location is ideal) and the idea of having to cross St. George Blvd for walking students would certainly give a lot of parents the willies.

This has the potential to be a major grass roots powder keg similar to MHS (although MHS was completely indefensible).

FWIW, I heard that the developer is proposing the idea of having bus access to the new school (if built at the Franklin Yard site) off of Millenium, but have the auto access for drop off students from St. George via a roadway to be cut through Centennial Park (presumably from the perimeter road that already exists). If this is true, the idea of increased vehicular traffic in the park would also bring out additional protesters of the tree-hugging variety........

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
If you are on the topic of safety, isn't Bessborough parents suggesting to build on the same site? I've been told there is not nearly enough land there to build a new school while kids are attending classes.
It's feasible. They did the same thing for Ecole Ste Bernadette in the west end a few years ago. It's a pain in the ass, but it kept the school in the neighbourhood.

Overall, the Francophone school district around here seems to do a much better job of keeping their schools as neighbourhood walking schools than the Anglophone district does. There is no way in hell that the Francophone district would have allowed a replacement high school (<cough>MHS<cough>) to have been built in the boonies out near the Kent County line..........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 12, 2018 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:27 PM

About 20 years ago the city unveiled plans to run that road that currently skirts Centennial Park right through to Millennium and the brown sticky stuff hit the fan at the idea of this.
People will be outraged once again at the mere thought of the idea.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:14 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm not crazy about the idea either. Connecting Grand Trunk and Centennial Park Drive would create a route that would link Main right to Mapleton. I know it would be a bit circuitous near the SportsPlex and the roundabout on Killam, but I'd wager that it would have a pretty big impact on traffic flows in the whole area.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I'm not crazy about the idea either. Connecting Grand Trunk and Centennial Park Drive would create a route that would link Main right to Mapleton. I know it would be a bit circuitous near the SportsPlex and the roundabout on Killam, but I'd wager that it would have a pretty big impact on traffic flows in the whole area.
this road would ruin a lot things at the park. the road being right beside the playground where kids roam. probably encroaching on the lawn bowling/ tennis courts. Parking for rocky stone and much more. I HATE THIS IDEA. WITH ROAD WIDENING SIDE WALKS ETC. they might as well close that part of the park. I went to Hillcrest 76-79 IT NEEDS AN UPDATE, HOWEVER, I ALSO LOVE CENTENNIAL PARK. I hope they find a better option.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:32 PM

It would surely be just a matter of a few years before any road through there would be so busy it would need four lanes.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is a proposed rendering they have for the replacement school at the Franklin Yard site:

It does not (necessarily) include a connecting road between the existing Centennial Park Roadway and Grand Trunk Street.

Bus access would be directly off Millennium. What they want is a "laneway" extension of the Centennial Park Road along the back of the new school for walking students and for parent drop off. Presumably this would mean paving the Centennial Park Road to allow for all weather two way traffic, but keeping it's current "loop" design beginning and terminating on St. George Blvd. Even though there would be no physical connection between Millennium & St. George, there is no question that traffic on the Centennial Park roadway would increase down by the tennis courts, lawn bowling, playground and Rocky Stone Field. The question therefore is whether or not any increase in traffic through the park is acceptable or not..........

I have drawn in the image below where the two drop off would be.

The rendering also shows new apartment construction on Grand Trunk Street, and a new roundabout at the Millennium/Grand Trunk/Russ Howard intersection. The developer also proposes to buy the existing Bessborough & Hillcrest school sites and redevelop them for higher density residential.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:03 AM

I don't know that area of Moncton well, but it seems to me that it would be better to close the park roads (Centennial Park road) to unofficial traffic, steal part of Centennial Park Road for the Student pickup/dropoff and connect it to Northwest Trail.

In fact, if they really want to control traffic, connect it to Northwest trail and make that the bus pickup/drop off area, so the entire stretch would be "Official traffic only".

That way the park stays vehicularly separated from Millennium and traffic impact would be minimal.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 12:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another interesting thing about that proposed site plan for the new school in the Franklin Yard is that it appears they want to relocate the Northwest Trail behind the school.

Currently the Northwest Trail extends up Grand Trunk to Millennium before heading west. This rerouting of the trail would be good in that it increases traffic separation between the trail and the street for a considerable distance. In addition, students from the old west end (Hillcrest catchment area) would be able to walk to the new school via the Northwest Trail.

BTW - I'm not trying to play favourites here. There are merits to both rebuilding at the Bessborough site, and building at the Franklyn Yard. This will be a tough decision. If I was to guess though, I would say the government is likely leaning to building at the Franklyn Yard. This site allows for more room for sports fields and parking, and comes with the promise from the developer to build adjacent apartment buildings and to purchase and redevelop the old school sites. In other words, there is more economic gain to be had from the Franklyn Yard proposal..........

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 12:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
BTW - I'm not trying to play favourites here. There are merits to both rebuilding at the Bessborough site, and building at the Franklyn Yard. This will be a tough decision. If I was to guess though, I would say the government is likely leaning to building at the Franklyn Yard. This site allows for more room for sports fields and parking, and comes with the promise from the developer to build adjacent apartment buildings and to purchase and redevelop the old school sites. In other words, there is more economic gain to be had from the Franklyn Yard proposal..........
Agreed. The Franklyn Yard site looks more appealing for a new school for a number of reasons, and opening up the Bessborough site to potential redevelopment is a good prospect. Currently that stretch of Millennium is just trees so infilling that area with residential and educational would be a good upgrade. Millennium has a lot of potential as a street if it is slowly weaned away from the small-industrial feel it currently has.

At some point there will need to be a North/South connection between Millennium and St. George; connecting Centennial Park with Russ Howard seems most likely.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:39 PM

The majority of complaints that I've heard so far have nothing to do with the land but more to do with the location.

As for the street expansion I think it has to do with a mostly direct route from West Main all the way up to the Mapleton area. People seem to fear this strech of road will be used as a race track. It is almost a straight run other then the Bends at Grand Trunk, Russ Howard, and the roundabout at Killam Drive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces