HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 6:32 PM

I saw something interesting in the Moncton newspaper this morning.

A federal government advertisement for an invitation to submit an expression of interest as to the availability of space for lease in Moncton.

So I went on to the site and plugged in the file number. Here's the link to what appears to be a pending major presence by the Dept. of public works Canada in Moncton:

https://canadabuys.canada.ca/en/tend...b-742-32513705

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 6:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very interesting. They want occupancy by 2026, for a term of 5-8 years. This sounds like primarily a warehousing/office space for Public Works Canada. I wonder what Public Works has in mind? Is there a major federal construction project upcoming in Moncton (aside from the ASEC?). The term mostly overlaps the timeframe for the ASEC construction (but not perfectly).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Very interesting. They want occupancy by 2026, for a term of 5-8 years. This sounds like primarily a warehousing/office space for Public Works Canada. I wonder what Public Works has in mind? Is there a major federal construction project upcoming in Moncton (aside from the ASEC?). The term mostly overlaps the timeframe for the ASEC construction (but not perfectly).
Very interesting indeed. We're talking about over 30,000 sq. ft. of space here.

Seems like primarily office space as it could be over multiple floors. One of the first things I thought about when I read the posting was the office building proposed for the Junction. Seems to me that the time frame would match up favourably.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton buses increasingly packed with riders as city's population surges
Peak hours now standing-room-only on many popular routes
Alexandre Silberman · CBC News · Posted: Oct 16, 2023 7:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...owth-1.6992538

Quote:
Packed bus rides are getting increasingly common as New Brunswick's largest city sees unprecedented population growth. At peak travel hours, buses with 38 seats are crammed with upwards of 75 passengers on their way to work or school.
Quote:
"We have some bus stops that have been in place for 20 years, and they were pretty quiet, and now we could have 15 to 16 people boarding at a bus stop that was never utilized before," she said. "The change that's happened is one or two apartment buildings have popped up on that corner."

The transit service recorded 1.28-million passenger boardings this year, Allain said, according to farebox data from the end of August. That's up 50 per cent compared to the same time in 2022.

Allain said she attributes that growth to Moncton's population boom, including an influx of newcomers to Canada and people leaving urban centres in other provinces. There's also increased enrollment at some of the city's universities and colleges.

"Many people moving here are moving from really large cities and they're very accustomed to using public transit. So it's a natural source of transportation for them to search out when they get here," she said in an interview at the bus garage.
Quote:
adding more direct routes is not likely to happen in the short term.

Allain said having longer more direct routes would mean reduced frequency, based on the current number of buses and drivers available.

"We don't want passengers waiting 90 minutes for the next bus, so that's why the design is what it is today," she said.

"We could use at least five growth buses, plus we need replacement buses just to maintain the current service level."

Codiac Transpo is planning to seek funding for new buses as part of its operating budget for next year. But with supply-chain delays, Allain said it takes about a year after ordering a bus for it to arrive in Moncton.

"We also want to address the emissions that's coming out of our tailpipe, so we're looking at zero-emission buses, battery-electric, for example. So these will be big investments that Moncton's looking at for the future," she said.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 5:43 PM

Meanwhile, Higgs straight up rejected federal transit funding.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:03 PM

What a disappointing read that article was. Doesn't sound like improvements to urban routes are coming anytime soon.

Codiac Transpo has so many routes going to deep suburban areas, some of which you rarely ever see more than 1 or 2 people on the bus at any given time.

Unlike bigger cities, people here often tend to move to the far suburbs purely as a lifestyle choice rather than an economic necessity/last resort. There isn't much (if any) cost premium attached to living near the core. So why are we not cutting back on routes no one uses, and improving frequency to the ones people clearly do use, especially areas where apartment buildings are popping up like crazy?

Until transit funding gets to a sensible first-world level, and resources can be allocated to improved service to both urban and suburban/rural areas, should we not be prioritizing areas where people have a clear willingness to use transit?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:23 PM

Perhaps Moncton wouldn't have year-long procurement cycles if they simply bought some diesel buses.

And I can only assume the strings attached to 'federal transit funding' were worse than the strings attached to infrastructure funding (IIRC, the infra funding issue was it 'must be used for new projects' instead of rehabilitation), before Higgs won that particular staring contest with the feds.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Perhaps Moncton wouldn't have year-long procurement cycles if they simply bought some diesel buses.

And I can only assume the strings attached to 'federal transit funding' were worse than the strings attached to infrastructure funding (IIRC, the infra funding issue was it 'must be used for new projects' instead of rehabilitation), before Higgs won that particular staring contest with the feds.
I don't believe that was the case, this was simply to compensate transit operators for COVID-19 related losses. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...nsit-1.5788655

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 12:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton to explore potential sites for new aquatics centre
Consultant's report finds growing city will need new indoor pool within 10 years
Shane Magee · CBC · Posted: Oct 17, 2023 8:27 AM ADT | Last Updated: 10 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...tion-1.6997865

Quote:
Moncton council took an initial step Monday toward building an indoor pool over the coming years, voting for city staff to explore potential locations and partnership models for an aquatics centre.
Quote:
The Toronto firm used population, the number of existing pools in the region, as well as their use, to determine Moncton will need an aquatics centre within 10 years.
Quote:
If the city's growth continues the need rises to two aquatics centres by 2046, Hack said.

Quote:
The consultant's report says the city should try to partner with U de M as it considers replacing its pool in the coming years.
Not unexpected, but also not ideal. Placing the pool on the university campus does limit public access to an extent, and, whenever the city partners with UdeM, there is a well established tendency on the university's part to consider the infrastructure as "university property" once built. This has certainly been the case with the track and field stadium which is no longer even called the "Stade Moncton Stadium." The university sold the naming rights to Blue Cross, keeping the revenue, and the name of the stadium is now unilingual French. I would prefer a standalone aquatic centre elsewhere in the city.

Quote:
The report also suggests the city needs another outdoor pool in the northwest. It has two municipally owned outdoor pools that open in the summer. One is in Centennial Park and the other is in the east end near downtown.

The report says the proposed pool should be larger than the east end pool, but smaller than the one in Centennial Park.
An indoor aquatic centre has long been a goal of residents of the northwest end. There was a campaign to have one included in (what became) the Moncton North YMCA, but, the city cheaped out and all we got was an indoor splash pad.

Quote:
The report recommended the city consider an indoor pool as part of a regional recreation centre with other features like a walking track, field house, and community rooms.

Otherwise, it suggested an addition to an existing recreational facility like the Coliseum.

Based on expected growth and feedback from public input, the report suggested the city's north end for new aquatics facilities.
This is a little confusing since the report recommended partnering with UdeM. Are they talking about the hypothetical second indoor aquatics centre by 2046???

Quote:
The report says whether as a standalone pool or as part of a broader complex, it should include up to three tanks: a 25-metre pool with six to 10 lanes with diving boards, a leisure pool that could include splash features, and a warmer therapeutic pool.

The report suggests a regional recreation centre could be in the range of 65,000 to 100,000 square feet.

It places the potential cost for facilities of that scale between $20 million to $62 million, based on estimates from other proposed facilities in Canada.
Seems reasonable. This will be a significant complex.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 1:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

N.B. cities weigh bid to host 2029 Canada Summer Games
New Brunswick government has asked province's three largest cities to consider hosting
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Oct 18, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-bid-1.6998692

Saint John & Moncton are the cities most seriously considering a bid. SJ has already hosted the Canada Games. Moncton could use this event as leverage to get funding for a new aquatics centre. Could the stars be aligning???

A large Canada Games type aquatic centre could go downtown (close to hotels and amenities). Hmmmmm

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:

A large Canada Games type aquatic centre could go downtown (close to hotels and amenities). Hmmmmm
The parking lot at the corner of Foundry and Albert would be a great location. It could be connected to the Avenir Centre plaza via a pedestrian bridge or tunnel across the tracks.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:18 PM

I'm surprised there's been almost no discussion of what to do with the current RCMP building, or the lots behind it off of Steadman South. Big site, good proximity to hotels and restaurants.

Quote:
The parking lot at the corner of Foundry and Albert would be a great location. It could be connected to the Avenir Centre plaza via a pedestrian bridge or tunnel across the tracks.
I always thought this would be the ideal place for a parking garage of some stature.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I'm surprised there's been almost no discussion of what to do with the current RCMP building, or the lots behind it off of Steadman South. Big site, good proximity to hotels and restaurants
A contact of mine has told me there might be a low rise luxury apartment building here. I have heard no other feedback, and there are no renderings anywhere around.

A nice apartment building could fit in here quite nicely, but, I think this corner deserves some height (at least 10 storeys).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Good thought. You could even site it immediately adjacent to the Avenir Centre where the old telegraph building is (and adjacent Crombie lands).

Another possibility could be south of Main Street, to help sop up the oceans of surface parking down there.

There is no question however that a competition grade 50m aquatics facility with diving towers and a diving pool belongs downtown, and, not in the northwest end or on the UdeM campus. It would be a signature facility for the city, similar to the Avenir Centre.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:43 PM

Quote:
A contact of mine has told me there might be a low rise luxury apartment building here. I have heard no other feedback, and there are no renderings anywhere around.

A nice apartment building could fit in here quite nicely, but, I think this corner deserves some height (at least 10 storeys).
Does the RCMP do anything with tomatoes?
In all seriousness, this location does deserve to have some height. I’d also like to see Main Street widened and some on street parking added along this section, at least up to the Rodd hotel. This may help the road feel more like a street and less like a stroad.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:52 PM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if it isn't on the UdeM campus, the city is going to need their funding support to bankroll the $100 million or so that the project will likely cost.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:55 PM

Quote:
The first thing I thought about when I read MonctonRad'spost was that large sea of asphalt on Foundry/Albert. There would have to be some major engineering work done to deal with the parking ramifications - both for the current users and potential new users.

So I can't see this lot being the location of a new aquatic center, but I really hope it gets redeveloped at some point. A large surface parking lot in this prime downtown location is highly unsuitable.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 4:07 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The first thing I thought about when I read MonctonRad'spost was that large sea of asphalt on Foundry/Albert. There would have to be some major engineering work done to deal with the parking ramifications - both for the current users and potential new users.

So I can't see this lot being the location of a new aquatic center, but I really hope it gets redeveloped at some point. A large surface parking lot in this prime downtown location is highly unsuitable.
It might not be the best ideal or site, but I thought that the Hal Betts sports plex could always be moved to the Emmerson Business and Technology Park next to the CN Sportsplex so that they make one big sports area, except for the corner of Millennium and Vaughn Harvey for another of those buildings. If not for this development for another large one then, right in front of the river.

I agree it should be downtown and not in the northwest and I don't support the general ideal of giving it to UdeM as they already have the CEPS that they can renovate and repair for their own use, amongst other reasons......

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 8:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I'd be surprised if it isn't on the UdeM campus, the city is going to need their funding support to bankroll the $100 million or so that the project will likely cost.
I imagine you are correct. A proper 50m competition pool and diving facility with spectator seating likely would be a $100M project (almost Avenir Centre in cost and scope).

I remain convinced however that it should not go to UdeM. It should be downtown immediately adjacent or close to the Avenir Centre. This would give Moncton a powerful one-two punch in terms of being able to attract major sporting events to the core. You might even be able to justify another couple of hotels and a few more restaurants in the neighbourhood as a result.

You wouldn't get that synergy by putting it on a semi suburban university campus with no nearby amenities........

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I imagine you are correct. A proper 50m competition pool and diving facility with spectator seating likely would be a $100M project (almost Avenir Centre in cost and scope).

I remain convinced however that it should not go to UdeM. It should be downtown immediately adjacent or close to the Avenir Centre. This would give Moncton a powerful one-two punch in terms of being able to attract major sporting events to the core. You might even be able to justify another couple of hotels and a few more restaurants in the neighbourhood as a result.

You wouldn't get that synergy by putting it on a semi suburban university campus with no nearby amenities........
What about by the four-plex rink? There's the dome and all the fields as well, so it would add to the sports focus of the area. And it's not that far from the Avenir center. There is a big chunk of undeveloped land right there.

But honestly, I would prefer it to be by the Avenir center. If that land just west would be large enough, it would be an ideal location. And it would drastically enhance the area, and likely spur more development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces