HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 1:05 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
all these developers can't keep blaming LRT, it's been going on for 10 years now and will be decades more... and maybe never A Line.
I think the real wait is for expanded GO service from Hunter or West Harbour (or both!)

LRT is great for local travel across the city, but are all these proposed developments in the core really dependent on that? I feel like they're different than the longer-term city-changing corridor intensification that is likely to happen along the LRT route.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think the real wait is for expanded GO service from Hunter or West Harbour (or both!)

LRT is great for local travel across the city, but are all these proposed developments in the core really dependent on that? I feel like they're different than the longer-term city-changing corridor intensification that is likely to happen along the LRT route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
all these developers can't keep blaming LRT, it's been going on for 10 years now and will be decades more... and maybe never A Line.

I agree. I guess the counter-argument to that is, they started selling their condos when LRT discussions were at its peak. I personally think that the LRT is a cop out for developers who eventually get cold feet on building in Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Developers based out of town have openly cited the LRT as one of the primary reasons for bringing development to the city or not (when the LRT funding was in flux). As I mentioned in my previous post, I personally believe it's a cop-out for some developers.

Expanded GO service would certainly bring in further development as well. Completely agree with this.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
So another decade or so, provided that the provincial government doesn't adjust its priorities.

Does anyone know if the expansion plan that was unfunded in December 2018 was funded in the 2019 budget?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
So another decade or so, provided that the provincial government doesn't adjust its priorities.

Does anyone know if the expansion plan that was unfunded in December 2018 was funded in the 2019 budget?
It wasn't. Last time I spoke to reps from GO Transit, they insisted that all day service won't come to either station in Hamilton for another decade. This was just over a year ago.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
It wasn't. Last time I spoke to reps from GO Transit, they insisted that all day service won't come to either station in Hamilton for another decade. This was just over a year ago.
Unsurprised. I’ve taken to adding a decade to any such estimates.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Same here. It's completely frustrating. I wish our city councilors would fight for this more.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:15 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Developers based out of town have openly cited the LRT as one of the primary reasons for bringing development to the city or not (when the LRT funding was in flux). As I mentioned in my previous post, I personally believe it's a cop-out for some developers.

Expanded GO service would certainly bring in further development as well. Completely agree with this.
I think so too. LRT delays/uncertainty have been an easy target for an excuse. It will be interesting to see if that gets used at all now that the province has basically re-affirmed its financial backing (regardless of the position on cost over-runs being the city's problem). The need for a final operating agreement with city council once the preferred bidder is chosen still leaves things in limbo, but as slow a steeplechase as it's been the LRT hurdles have been cleared to this point.

Quote:
I wonder what Bratina thinks about what he was touting as the city's real transit "priority" while he was mayor... I wonder if he can remember that part of his life at all.

Two-way all-day GO service has been quite the carrot held over Hamilton. It's a very dry and shriveled carrot.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 4:45 AM

So if the potential cancellation of the LRT is a face saving cop-out, what's supposed to be the real reason? Are these companies all actually just shysters like Stanton? Lamb is right when he talks about what Hamilton can command in price per square foot.. if this city leadership is hell bent on trying to sabotage growth why expect that developers should feel honoured to have their projects obstructed at every turn here? LRT is a perfect bellwether of whether this city wants to piss away another generation on the post-industrial transition (and despite Ford it has always been at the ultimate mercy of council). I wouldn't blame anyone for packing up if it seems the sleepy university/healthcare town ruled by rent-seeking homeowners isn't looking to embrace its urban identity and balk at a no-brainer like fully subsidized mass transit.

I think when developers are worried about LRT it's not based on the scary new provincial government but the enduring angst and pettiness from amalgamation playing out at city Hall that pushed the timeline into the election.

Last edited by anactualalien; May 1, 2019 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
So if the potential cancellation of the LRT is a face saving cop-out, what's supposed to be the real reason? Are these companies all actually just shysters like Stanton? Lamb is right when he talks about what Hamilton can command in price per square foot.. if this city leadership is hell bent on trying to sabotage growth why expect that developers should feel honoured to have their projects obstructed at every turn here? LRT is a perfect bellwether of whether this city wants to piss away another generation on the post-industrial transition (and despite Ford it has always been at the ultimate mercy of council). I wouldn't blame anyone for packing up if it seems the sleepy university/healthcare town ruled by rent-seeking homeowners isn't looking to embrace its urban identity and balk at a no-brainer like fully subsidized mass transit.

I think when developers are worried about LRT it's not based on the scary new provincial government but the enduring angst and pettiness from amalgamation playing out at city Hall that pushed the timeline into the election.
1000%. These same developers are building like gangbusters throughout the GTA. Hamilton City Hall is THE problem. Period. End of story. Has been for 50 years, and based on the lack of vision/concern from the voters, it'll continue to be the problem for the next 50.
Developers face thin profit margins in lower Hamilton...LRT is absolutely a game changer for them. I know some folks in the development industry. They foresee a huge dry-up of projects if LRT is cancelled.
On the opposite front, check out the development activity in long-dormant urban K-W now that their Ion LRT is about to open. Developers didn't suddenly see a new city on the map that they had previously missed. They've known about K-W forever. But like Hamilton, the profit margin on dense, urban developments was too low to take the risk...until that city administration decided they could be so much more, and led with vision and ambition into the future.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post

It's a mix of what you just explained and also the fact that some Developers come into Hamilton with proposed developments, go through the entire plans and approvals process with the City and then back out for a variety of reasons. The reasons you mentioned are a huge reason as to why developers back/will continue to back out, but there certainly are all contributing factors as well. Some of these developers are looking to test the Hamilton market before actually moving forward with construction...

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 3:26 PM

I've seen heavy equipments and an excavator on the site this morning. Maybe they are finally about to start construction.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:58 PM

would love to see photos of that^^^

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 3:36 AM
Forever forward.

Picture from Friday. There's been an excavator on site for a couple of weeks but it's just been sitting idle as far as I can see, no visible progress.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:36 PM

This will certainly be a stark contrast to the buildings immediately around it...but much classier than the old Queen Street towers further north...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 6:27 PM

at the sales pavillion - thinking this project is dead in the water ... or for sure postponed

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 9:32 PM

That’s pretty typical late into the sales stage where most condos have sold and only a few units remain.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 10:20 PM

Would agree, but you would think it all was rosy they would bridge to their Onyx project.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
at the sales pavillion - thinking this project is dead in the water ... or for sure postponed

It means one of the following two things:

1) They are beginning to start construction and only have a few, more expensive or less desirable suites left for sale.

2) They are still mulling over when to start construction and whether or not to start.

This is a typical approach with sales centres.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 2:35 AM
Forever forward.

I went by this aft. Nothing new on site to my eye. However, I was taking a look at the hoarding and one thing popped out to my eye:

Closer...

Closer.....

"Dundum Street." I hadn't noticed that typo in my previous visits to the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton