HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 1:15 AM
Go Chiefs!

Felix Auger Aliassime on to the semi finals of the Rio open (ATP 500).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 11:24 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Felix Auger Aliassime on to the semi finals of the Rio open (ATP 500).
And now into the final. Big win over an experienced and capable clay court player.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 12:59 AM
The New Republic

He almost let that last game get away from him.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 6:22 AM
Go Chiefs!

Just as a reminder, the biggest tournament Shapovalov has ever won is a Challenger while the biggest tournament Raonic has won is an ATP 500.

FAA's opponent tomorrow is Laslo Djere ranked #90. I am expecting a win for our boy.

I said FAA would be the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam a few years back and despite his somewhat slower development and as long as he sorts that heart problem out, I still strongly believe in that.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 2:10 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

as he sorts that heart problem out
Has there been any follow-up in the media on that heart incident from last year? Have we learned whether it was a manifestation of an underlying condition, which could pose a problem for his career, or just an isolated incident?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 10:03 PM
ハルウララ

New wave of French-Canadians changing the face of Canadian basketball
Aaron Rose · for CBC Sports · Posted: Feb 22, 2019 5:00 AM ET | Last Updated: February 22

At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds Arizona State's Luguentz Dort looks like a basketball player.

He has chiselled biceps, tree-trunk thick thighs, and to the average basketball fan, there's nothing particularly unusual about the 19-year-old projected first-round NBA draft pick. But, when he opens his mouth, it's clear he's different.

Dort is the son of Haitian immigrants and he's part of a wave of first- and second-generation Canadians living in Quebec that are changing the face — and tongue — of Canadian basketball.

While Ontario has traditionally been Canada's basketball powerhouse, producing the vast majority of the country's NBA and NCAA basketball talent, there has quietly been a group of French-Canadians with ties to Haiti and West Africa that is putting the province on the basketball map.

"It's very possible that Quebec produces five NBA players in the next five years," Wesley Brown, a Canadian basketball scout at the Monday Morning Scouting Report, said. "Dort, Quincy [Gurrier], Keeshawn [Barthélémy] and a few other younger guys all have potential NBA talent."

The sport's popularity has led to the rapid expansion of the Montreal Basketball League, an organization run by McKitterick. Since taking over the league in 2011, McKitterick says the organization has doubled in size to almost 100 teams, a boom he partially attributes to the city's growing immigrant population.

He says the basketball community in Montreal has been influenced by Quebec's adoption of The Charter of French Language — also known as Bill 101 — in 1977.

"We got a large influx of Haitian and French-speaking Africans [after 1977]," McKitterick said. "So, our basketball community is reflective of that now."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...ball-1.5028828

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 11:17 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Has there been any follow-up in the media on that heart incident from last year? Have we learned whether it was a manifestation of an underlying condition, which could pose a problem for his career, or just an isolated incident?
No, but I remember hearing that the condition could potentially go away with a surgery.

FAA was really nervous today. Showed some glimpses of brilliance but it wasn't enough for the win. Congrats to Djere.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:52 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
New wave of French-Canadians changing the face of Canadian basketball
Aaron Rose · for CBC Sports · Posted: Feb 22, 2019 5:00 AM ET | Last Updated: February 22

At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds Arizona State's Luguentz Dort looks like a basketball player.
Quebec is where Ontario was about 10-15 years ago. Despite having no NBA team basketball is undergoing a transformation from fringe sport to mainstream. There's been a gradual uptick in the number of Quebecers coming up through Canada Basketball. 2 years ago there was a big bump with a slew up Quebecers invited to the 2017 Biosteel All-Canadian game. Not only that but Dort stood out despite the quality talent on display. I'm not surprised at all that he's continued to turn heads in the NCAA.

Ontario has done the heavy lifting for Canada so far but it's good to see that things are changing. I suspect western Canada will be the next in line to see a big basketball boom. At least there it's not starting from nothing like was the case in Quebec.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:15 AM
Hmm....

Question for anyone who's watching the Brier ...

The Nova Scotia wild blueberry ads that are non-stop (at least here)... Is that an authentic maritime accent? It almost seems more southern US than what I'd picture as typically maritime.

Always feels just a little bit off to me.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:19 PM
ハルウララ

From the Vancouver subforum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Vancouver to host Rugby Sevens tournament for at least 4 more years

March 6, 2019 10:53 am
By Simon Little Online Journalist Global News

Canada's Nathan Hirayama, centre, celebrates with his teammates after scoring a try against France during World Rugby Sevens Series action, in Vancouver, B.C., on March 11, 2018.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

Rugby Canada has announced a deal to keep the popular Rugby Sevens tournament in Vancouver for at least four more years.

The news comes as BC Place gears up to play host to the 2019 event, one of 10 stops on an international circuit, for its fourth consecutive year.

Under the terms of the deal, Vancouver will host the tournament until at least 2023.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5026596/v...-rugby-sevens/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

The Nova Scotia wild blueberry ads that are non-stop (at least here)... Is that an authentic maritime accent? It almost seems more southern US than what I'd picture as typically maritime.

I haven't been watching the Brier, but looked for the ad out of curiosity.

If this is the accent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQjhGXOSAw0

... then yes this is definitely an accent you'll hear in Nova Scotia in particular.

I don't find it sounds American to my ear (and certainly not "Southern"), though I guess to people living west of the Ottawa River it does sound a bit twangy.

But then again I am used to it as a person with lots of Maritime roots.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I haven't been watching the Brier, but looked for the ad out of curiosity.

If this is the accent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQjhGXOSAw0

... then yes this is definitely an accent you'll hear in Nova Scotia in particular.
I think there's less of an accent issue and more just the woman over-acting. Like having to focus on every single word. Even her saying "Nova Scotia" at the end sounded like she was trying very hard to pronounce it so people understood it clearly.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

The accent doesn't seem authentic Maritime to me either (and I live here), but not all Maritimers talk like pirates, and there can be significant regional variations based on the fact that people have lived here for 300-400 years, often in (originally) isolated communities. Urban Maritimers tend to speak standard Canadian. Small towns are a different matter.

She calls the places where they harvest the wild blueberries "forest barrens". I have never heard that term used in the Maritimes. Blueberry barrens, yes. Blueberry bogs even, yes - but never "forest barrens'.

You can certainly have a rural "twang" here, but hers seems exaggerated. Maybe as JHikka is saying, she is simply overacting.......

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 12:09 AM
The New Republic

It's definitely an accent you'll find more in Nova Scotia than other parts of the Maritimes. It's more common outside Halifax but you'll hear it there too. Over acting? I think she was chosen because she articulates more than the average person. My roommate and boyfriend both talked like that. Hers is very authentic imo.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 5:53 PM
The New Republic

Dal knocks off the Thunderbirds to advance to the Final 4

Courtesy of ubyssey

Final 4 matchups set. At the Scotiabank Centre in Halifax, Ryerson University will take on the University of Calgary @ 2pm. Home town Dalhousie University faces Carleton University @ 6pm. A Dalhousie - Ryerson final please! Neither school has ever won the national championship. I suspect it will be Ryerson - Carleton, however.

Vs

Vs

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 7:50 PM
The New Republic

Ryerson were down by 17 but have closed it to 4 with 3:18 left.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 8:06 PM
The New Republic

Ryerson's run ends in a 2 pt loss to Calgary for the 2nd year in a row. Next up Dalhousie-Carleton.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 11:31 PM
The New Republic

In what's been seen as a David vs Goliath matchup, Dalhousie are up on Carleton 56-53 going into the 4th. Come on!

Was 65-64 Carleton but then the Ravens finish with a 11-1 run.

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 10, 2019 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:03 PM

X Games are coming to Calgary for 2020 - 2022! This should do a lot for an already impressive winter sports scene here.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:26 AM
The New Republic

Indian Wells Semi-Final: Andreescu is up one set and they're on serve in the 2nd set.

Now 1 set a piece.

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 16, 2019 at 2:53 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada