HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 10:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Current objector is railing on incoherently about "15 minute cities."

She definitiely seems to think there is a conspiracy going on and that money is exchanging hands............

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

She definitiely seems to think there is a conspiracy going on and that money is exchanging hands............
But what about the sandpipers?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:

She even stated that they could all be corrupted

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

approved unanimously!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:13 PM

Maybe it won’t be 30? He said building for 20-30 floors, based on when they finish their preliminary testing etc.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
approved unanimously!
Mayor: "Motion carries, unanimously."
Sandpiper Lady, in the distance: "Toronto East!"
Mayor: "Decorum please."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Maybe it won’t be 30? He said building for 20-30 floors, based on when they finish their preliminary testing etc.
Yes, the approval is for "at least six storeys, but up to 30 storeys."

I imagine it will be at least 20 floors, but that they will try to go as high as possible depending on final cost analysis.

This is a little disconcerting. It also means that since this all still has to be factored out, that construction is not imminent. We probably won't see anything significant until next year.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Mayor: "Motion carries, unanimously."
Sandpiper Lady, in the distance: "Toronto East!"
Mayor: "Decorum please."
Do sandpipers like tomatoes?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, the approval is for "at least six storeys, but up to 30 storeys."

I imagine it will be at least 20 floors, but that they will try to go as high as possible depending on final cost analysis.

This is a little disconcerting. It also means that since this all still has to be factored out, that construction is not imminent. We probably won't see anything significant until next year.
Next year may even be a little too optimistic. Sounded like they still need to do most of the engineering and financial feasibility...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorth View Post
Next year may even be a little too optimistic. Sounded like they still need to do most of the engineering and financial feasibility...
So if shovels don’t hit the ground until, let’s say 2025, then that 2028 completion date may not be far off.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
So if shovels don’t hit the ground until, let’s say 2025, then that 2028 completion date may not be far off.
Indeed. whipperSnapper could indeed be correct in his 2028 estimate for project completion.

On the bright side, interest rates will likely come down in the next couple of years, making it more likely that financial conditions will be favourable for a 30 storey project

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Going a bit off topic, but thankfully I tend to avoid some of the insanity, but what exactly is the concern about "15 minute cities" ? I've seen it mentioned on FB as well in similar discussions, but I don't really see the issue, or what the conspiracy is.

Anyways, hopefully this project breaks ground fast and hits the 30 story target.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 11:37 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Going a bit off topic, but thankfully I tend to avoid some of the insanity, but what exactly is the concern about "15 minute cities" ? I've seen it mentioned on FB as well in similar discussions, but I don't really see the issue, or what the conspiracy is.

Anyways, hopefully this project breaks ground fast and hits the 30 story target.
Evil government plan to corral everyone into camps, basically.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 12:17 PM

I am relieved by the approval, and amused by the moniker "Toronto East". I think we have a way to go before we catch up with the capital of Ontario. Indeed, when I visit that city, I am amazed at just how different it is becoming to anything else in Canada. On the 15 minute thing, it is a right wing corruption of an idea that cities should be trying to develop in such a way that people can obtain most of what they need within a 15 minute walking radius. It's a perfectly reasonable goal. Moncton is quite far from this.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:

What do I win? These people are so predictable

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampduLarge View Post
I am relieved by the approval, and amused by the moniker "Toronto East". I think we have a way to go before we catch up with the capital of Ontario. Indeed, when I visit that city, I am amazed at just how different it is becoming to anything else in Canada. On the 15 minute thing, it is a right wing corruption of an idea that cities should be trying to develop in such a way that people can obtain most of what they need within a 15 minute walking radius. It's a perfectly reasonable goal. Moncton is quite far from this.
The 15 minute city thing seems perfectly reasonable to me...I don't get the opposition?

But, that said, Moncton has had a "drive up" culture for a long, long time, everyone wants to be able to drive and park right at the business/location they are travelling too...that's not how large cities work. Moncton is becoming a larger city (Is Moncton second only to Halifax now in the East?)

Yes we need better transit and walking/cycling options in the core...but we also need these structures and people living in these 15 minute areas to pay for them.

I've been waiting on taller buildings to start happening in this city for 20+ years...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
What do I win? These people are so predictable
You win bragging rights for at least the next two weeks. Just don't get a swelled head out of it!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
The 15 minute city thing seems perfectly reasonable to me...I don't get the opposition?

But, that said, Moncton has had a "drive up" culture for a long, long time, everyone wants to be able to drive and park right at the business/location they are travelling too...that's not how large cities work. Moncton is becoming a larger city (Is Moncton second only to Halifax now in the East?)

Yes we need better transit and walking/cycling options in the core...but we also need these structures and people living in these 15 minute areas to pay for them.

I've been waiting on taller buildings to start happening in this city for 20+ years...
There is really no use trying to understand it. The opposition is not remotely logical. Its even less logical than the tomato lady whos concern was about shadows (although perhaps she shares in this conspiracy also) .

It is strictly looking at the current trend of population growth and the need for urban planning and densification and exploiting people to make them think the government is doing this for future lockdowns. No different than exploiting a pandemic to create distrust in medical institutions. I personally think this really wont catch on the same way some of the other conspiracies have, as how many people actually say things like "I love Moncton's urban sprawl", or "I wish my walk to the grocery store was further"? But there is likely an element of people being affected by cost of living spiraling into this type of thinking.

As much as this isn't really a great conversation for a development forum I do think its relevant as there is going to be a need to stay vigilant against this type of opposition going forward. Security may be needed to keep order if this escalates.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 2:43 PM
I am the law!

The 15 minute is one that promotes mixed use and a human scale. It's contrary to Toronto with 500,000 people commuting long distances every day to a 100 million square feet of office space in a square kilometre area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:36 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Security may be needed to keep order if this escalates.
What type and where are you talking about? Would you mind explaining what this would be for?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces