HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 1:37 AM

What happens to the players they had?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 1:48 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
What happens to the players they had?
I figure some will be able to make the team. The rest.... who knows? Work at Mcdonalds? Maybe try out for another team, like Montreal Impact.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
So what you're saying is that we need another sport, separate from soccer. Well, there is that arena (indoor) soccer available in some cities. Making drastic changes to the game just makes it look hokey. Back in the day, the NASL had this stupid breakaway shootout thing at the end of tied games.... didn't sit well with a lot of people. What the hell is wrong with a tied game anyway?
Nothing wrong with a tied game in regular season, but I don't see how penalty kicks are preferable to breakaway shootouts when a game decider is needed. At least the shootouts are more balanced and not so heavily lopsided in favour of the shooter like the PK's are.

Quote:
So what you're saying is that we need another sport, So if you're just talking about adding a scoreboard clock and video review... this is going to change the attitude of the non-soccer fan? These two things very well might happen down the road, but it'll happen most likely for every country.
Shouldn't have to wait for every other country to go ahead with innovations and changes.

FIFA should only concern itself with international competitions, and leave national and league matters entirely to the national football federations and leagues concerned.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 6:40 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Nothing wrong with a tied game in regular season, but I don't see how penalty kicks are preferable to breakaway shootouts when a game decider is needed. At least the shootouts are more balanced and not so heavily lopsided in favour of the shooter like the PK's are.
The breakaway thing would just be an Americanized way of deciding the game. Neither is really preferable over the other, just ask the players. The PK shootout is a long proven method to decide a winner, and is exciting as is to many people.

Quote:
Shouldn't have to wait for every other country to go ahead with innovations and changes.

FIFA should only concern itself with international competitions, and leave national and league matters entirely to the national football federations and leagues concerned.
I'm not going to touch this again.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:56 AM

Well here is the striker issue we were wondering about, they've all been traded after the draft. They've made room so we can get some international players and allocation money.

Following the Expansion Draft, Whitecaps FC traded their first pick in Sanna Nyassi to 2010 MLS Cup champions Colorado Rapids for an international player spot. Vancouver then dealt fifth-round selection Alan Gordon back to Chivas USA for another international player spot, as well as seventh-round selection Alejandro Moreno to Chivas USA for allocation money. Vancouver also traded their sixth-round selection in O'Brian White to Pacific Northwest rivals Seattle Sounders FC for allocation money.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2010...tions-three-ml

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
Well here is the striker issue we were wondering about, they've all been traded after the draft. They've made room so we can get some international players and allocation money.

Following the Expansion Draft, Whitecaps FC traded their first pick in Sanna Nyassi to 2010 MLS Cup champions Colorado Rapids for an international player spot. Vancouver then dealt fifth-round selection Alan Gordon back to Chivas USA for another international player spot, as well as seventh-round selection Alejandro Moreno to Chivas USA for allocation money. Vancouver also traded their sixth-round selection in O'Brian White to Pacific Northwest rivals Seattle Sounders FC for allocation money.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2010...tions-three-ml
I was surprised to see the 'Caps trade Nyassi away so quickly. I wonder who they're going to sign for those international spots? Maybe a major signing from Europe?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:37 PM
victory in near

My season ticket purchase date is Dec 3 @ 12:45pm

does anybody here beat me?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 6:03 AM

Quote:
The breakaway thing would just be an Americanized way of deciding the game. Neither is really preferable over the other, just ask the players. The PK shootout is a long proven method to decide a winner, and is exciting as is to many people.
I have to disagree here. Not only are the conversion stats more balanced with the breakaway shootout as mentioned, but it does make more complete use of ball playing and goalkeeping skills than just the kicker kicking the ball on the spot and the goalie guessing and jumping one way. They actually challenge one another one-on-one.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
My season ticket purchase date is Dec 3 @ 12:45pm

does anybody here beat me?
Dec 1 @ 7:15pm

Bad time of year to have to shell out that cash

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 1:50 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
I have to disagree here. Not only are the conversion stats more balanced with the breakaway shootout as mentioned, but it does make more complete use of ball playing and goalkeeping skills than just the kicker kicking the ball on the spot and the goalie guessing and jumping one way. They actually challenge one another one-on-one.
Can't really argue with that. It's the old case of whether or not to break with tradition. For another thread...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 7:15 PM

WFC have added three from this season's squad. Philippe Davies(midfielder, U-20 Canada team), Jay Nolly(keeper from US), Wes Knight(fullback from US).

They were at the grand opening of the Whitecaps FC store at Metrotown today.

http://yfrog.com/jv7rs0j

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 7:16 PM

Kind of backwards that the Bell logo is far bigger than their own, don't you think? You'd almost assume they were the Vancouver Bells.

Or the players name was Bell.

Certainly not a very attractive jersey for any fan to buy. I'd feel like I should get paid...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Kind of backwards that the Bell logo is far bigger than their own, don't you think? You'd almost assume they were the Vancouver Bells.

Certainly not a very attractive jersey for any fan to buy. I'd feel like I should get paid...
I'm pretty sure almost every soccer team in the world has a sponsor logo that's bigger than their team logo.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 8:29 PM
victory in near

Quote:

that is soccer.

http://www.soccerevolution.com/store...K_40239_A.jpeg
Barcelona FC

http://www.soccershopusa.com/Images_...y-E79779-1.jpg

Toronto FC

But i do agree with you

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 8:31 PM

Well, shows how much I've watched soccer lol - only a few minutes of the World cup in my lifetime.

Pretty sure USA, etc. didn't have a big McDonalds and Coke ad on them.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 11:16 PM

The World Cup is not professional soccer teams, those are national soccer teams, big difference. Pro teams have big sponsor logos.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
The World Cup is not professional soccer teams, those are national soccer teams, big difference. Pro teams have big sponsor logos.
That's more of a Europe thing than a Soccer thing

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golog View Post
That's more of a Europe thing than a Soccer thing
true. if you look at hockey jerseys on european teams, it's the same thing.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
true. if you look at hockey jerseys on european teams, it's the same thing.
And soccer, ahem, "football" fans here want to copy the Europeans in every way possible...even their bad aspects. Hence those unsightly ads make their way onto MLS jerseys, while giving the sponsors that extra excuse to shove ads in your face and make you pay to wear their advertisement.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 5:04 PM

My ticket purchase date is tomorrow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation