HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:01 AM

I've never heard or seen any official plan to redevelop the entire Maywood area. Originally the plan (I thought) was to redevelop Beresford street, but now we have 2 proposals where there is a second tower to the south of a the first tower, making residents in the more affordable low-rises a little uncomfortable. There's some indication from this article that the city of Burnaby may be planning to totally redevelop the Maywood low-rise neighbourhood.

Quote:
In an interview with the NOW, Ed Kozak, assistant director of current planning at the city, clarified that while the town centre map shows land designated for medium density on the site, the area has been intended for high-density development for decades.

“Any designation is considered a guideline – it relies on an underlying zoning district to define it much more clearly,” he said. “The map that was referred to at the public hearing is a generalized land use map for the town centre. It was not the plan.”

Kozak noted that the Metrotown plan from 1977 describes development along the Beresford corridor as transitioning to high density, so it’s not unusual for the developer to request rezoning from RM3 (meant for multi-family residential, lowrise developments) to a high-density comprehensive development.
- See more at: http://www.burnabynow.com/news/metro....F46faIuB.dpuf

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:38 AM

If Maywood is to be completely redeveloped the city should at least try to leverage the same amount of affordable rentals out of the new developments so that there is no net loss in units to the area.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:51 AM

A lot of attention focused on Maywood low rises but don't forget the lowrises to the east of Bonsor is facing some pressure too.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 5:04 AM

Metrotown skyline this evening - my photo:

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:15 AM

I think it would be nice to have a commercial building straddling the Expo line close to Metrotown station with a hotel/office block on top a retail/entertainment podium. This will not only bring the flow of people from Metropolis to Beresford street, but also fill the gap between the skyline south of Beresford and that at or north of Metropolis. This gap created by the skytrain guideway always seems so stark, especially when viewed on those pictures taken from afar, like downtown.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:59 AM

Three highway shots of Brentwood area skyline.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:02 PM

^Nice shots. Going westbound on Hwy 1 after Kensington and seeing the Brentwood Skyline with Brentwood Mall towers may make visitors think it is downtown Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Metrotown skyline this evening - my photo:

This shot is making Mississauga run for its money.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 8:47 PM

kingsway urban canyon ???

Somebody posted somewhere that there was an "urban canyon" developing along Kingsway in Metrotown..
Great news. Pictures, anyone, please?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Somebody posted somewhere that there was an "urban canyon" developing along Kingsway in Metrotown..
Great news. Pictures, anyone, please?
Not sure if you are remembering my photo from a year ago. This view has since changed quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Emerging urban canyon in suburbia (Burnaby-Metrotown).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:40 AM

My photo from today:

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:12 AM

From the suburban thread:
Note that the "Subject site" includes the 2 existing office building on the former Lougheed Drive-in site, but falls short of Madison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Hey everyone. I've been reading this forum off and on for several years now and I've considered joining a number of times. I never start something unless I can commit myself to it (ie. posting regularly) so I've stayed away. Every once in a while though, I see a question go unanswered that I might know something about so I figured I would sign up. I won't post very often, unless I have something contribute. PS - thanks for some great reads over the years.

--------------------------------------------------

To the point:

I've seen a few of you discussing the temporary roof above Gilmore Station and the previous plan to enclose the station within a commercial development. Well it looks like Onni has been quick to start planning for their newly acquired site, surrounding the station, and there is some decent preliminary info coming out.

It looks like Onni intends on building a significant amount of office space within the development, well-integrated with the station.

Quote:
The proposed preliminary development concept for this key site within the Brentwood
Town Centre is to transform its existing vacant, light-industrial and mid-rise office
character into a new mixed-use transit integrated development. While Burnaby has
become a model for transit oriented development, including the Master Plan concepts for
Brentwood and Lougheed Malls, the subject site is one offew within the region that have
the opportunity to be fully integrated with SkyTrain at ground level, mezzanine level and
potentially at track level, providing unprecedented access to transit by residents,
employees, patrons and the surrounding community.
Also looks like they plan a fair amount of retail, including big box retail within the tower podiums. And of course tons of residential is to be expected.

Quote:
The goal is to create a mixed-use gateway into the Town Centre to complement the core
area at Willingdon Avenue and Lougheed Highway, and reinforce its function as the
heart of the Town Centre. As a response to the stronger pedestrian scaled retail core, the
Gilmore Station area can support a higher component of purpose built office and elevated
larger format retail uses, with smaller retail and restaurant uses at ground level, especially
along the Dawson "High-Street". High-rise residential uses are proposed to rise above
the commercial base utilizing the podium deck areas as both private and public
landscaped open spaces.
Link to the City Council agenda: https://burnaby.civicweb.net/Documen....aspx?ID=15000
Begins at page 148 for those interested.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The fact that ONNI has asubstantial commercial office component at Central is a good sign that -
hopefully - ONNI is receptive to including office space at Gilmore and the station will be properly integrated with the station
(it wouldn't be if the project were all condos).

ONNI also owns the office buildings on the former Lougheed Drive-In site next door.
http://www.onni.com/commercial/offic...gheed-highway/

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...NBbnVsbCU3RA==

Last edited by officedweller; Aug 20, 2014 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 3:41 AM
Website Manager

Sounds great!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 AM

Quote:
My photo from today:

Great photo that I really cannot put on map!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 4:49 PM

^ Thanks. It's Wesburn Park - few blocks east of Boundary on Moscrop.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:14 PM

The most interesting (and surprising) thing in that development application report for the Onni Gilmore development is this:

Quote:
4.12 Submission of a Traffic and Transportation study for the site, including a detailed review of the feasibility of extending the proposed new road north of Lougheed Highway to connect to Halifax Street.
I can't even imagine how that would work. There are so many buildings in the way, including the Executive hotel and the whole Marquis Grande development between Lougheed and Halifax. I don't see any potential route there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
^ Thanks. It's Wesburn Park - few blocks east of Boundary on Moscrop.
I like how you managed to hide Sovereign's podium in your photo, making it look like a 60-floor skyscraper. Very nice.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 8:01 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrizzy View Post
Does anyone know if there are any plans for the [ shaped building across from Moda?
Also, when a rental building is going to be redeveloped, how much notice is given to tenants and have any previous buildings given relocation incentives if there are outstanding leases?
A friend of mine lives in that building and asked me about this.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Does anyone know if there are any plans for the [ shaped building across from Moda?
Also, when a rental building is going to be redeveloped, how much notice is given to tenants and have any previous buildings given relocation incentives if there are outstanding leases?
I know for Concord's redevelopments a few blocks east and for Modello what they did was gave three months notice of eviction but didn't charge rent for those two last months, they also provided one month's worth of rent in cash to help moving costs.

Moda's site got redeveloped rather quickly since one of the buildings on the lot burnt down a few years back

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I have heard that there are no plans to develop that [ shaped building across from Moda. This is unconfirmed but apparently the owners are not selling the building and don't plan to for a long time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley