HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Not really--the square will be greatly enhanced and it already provides cool views. Overall, I'm happy with this project in all aspects since it will be a great improvement at both sites and bring renewed vitality to the Kearny Street area of the Financial District. Remember that Kearny does not have any highrises along it for blocks as it is.
I know people are moaning about the lack of height but I'm just happy to get the sites filled. The 350 Bush site sits behind the city's tallest pre-WWII tower -the gothic-deco Russ Building. So we should be happy with anything building of any height. It looks like both buildings will be of fairly minimal design which I like. The low-rise building on the next block will really improve that corner/square which has been an eyesore for as long as I can remember. I don't think that any highrise is going to be built there the future. It's not necessary or even desirable to fill every space with a high-rise. I think some people are really fans of height more than they are of skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 8:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The Business Times has a few more details on the project, its history and the timeline of the various proposals that have been pursued on this plot.

A few tidbits:

Quote:
The 350 Bush project, entitled in 2001, went through a series of owners and roadblocks, but Dallas-based Lincoln Property and partner, Gemdale Corp., plan to begin building during the third quarter of this year.
….
Still, plans lived on and early this year, the city approved a change to the design to move the elevators to the side of the building instead of in the middle of the floors in 350 Bush. That creates a more open floor plan that technology tenants favor, Heller said.

Next, Lincoln Property brought in Gemdale, a publicly-traded, Chinese real estate development and investment firm. This will be company’s first U.S. investment.
….
The floor plates in 350 Bush will range from 17,000 to 20,000 square feet. Building amenities include features tenants want such as bicycle parking, showers, a rooftop terrace, open layouts, and proximity to public transportation.
So this project will get started this Summer. I wasn't expecting that. But it's entitled, final design approved and construction financed. Speaking of the design change, from the renders it appears the elevator shaft will be on the side facing the Russ Building. Thus, it should be largely hidden, except to Russ tenants. Still, I hope they at least try to pretty it up.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:28 AM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:57 PM

Lots of history and photos about the Mining Exchange Building are available in this report: http://commissions.sfplanning.org/hp...2000.0541A.pdf

A cross-section of the old and new buildings (click to enlarge):

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 9:32 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Looks to be about 270 ft. tall including the mechanical stuff.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 12:33 AM
Only Mostly Dead

In that SF Business Times article from April it says: "incorporating the historic terra cotta facade and columns of the San Francisco Mining Exchange Building." But that diagram indicates they are preserving more than just the front of the building. I hope so.

Has anyone noticed signs of activity at 500 Pine?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:58 AM
heavy user of walkability

I think we've talked about this in the general run-down, but here is a shot of both parts of the project, from St Mary's Square

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:07 AM
JustAPhotoTaker

Heads up I have confirmed with a on site-worker that piling will commence soon, also they said that this is a full go, which means no stopping. Expect foundations soon at 500 pine.

Photos soon.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:59 AM
dazzle me

it's a shame - in the original plan for 350 bush, the idea was to connect the 132 subterranean automobile parking spaces to the russ building, that is, to punch out the walls below and to use their ingress/egress. the upshot on that would have been an additional few thousand square feet of grade-level commercial space (retail). alas, ownership changes and foehn winds killed that plan long ago. i wish that no parking at all were to be allowed on these two sites, seems so unnecessary, just blocking up the fidi even more. but this damned town isn't there yet, at least not with 15 year old entitlements.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:44 PM
JustAPhotoTaker

Honestly who cares if the St. Mary's park is shaded, it's already a junk hole for homeless people and drunk people. We might as well tear it down then have that rubbish being built on 500 pine. A waste of promoadent property, maybe another and better plan would be to tear down the park and build a new parking garage and incorporate the other site and make a higrise. (MY OPINION)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 8:46 PM
JustAPhotoTaker

Guys! Lets get this thread up and going!
`````
Question: How to you add photos to your post? Thanks.
`````
Update on 500 pine street; Foundations are beginning to be peeped and concrete has just been poured. expect a crane in 1 week or so.
`````
Update on 350 Bush: Shoring has begun on the mining exchange building. Minor excavation has been completed. I have confirmed with a worker that another layer has to be dug in order to secure foundations.
`````History!
Originally the foundations were poured near group level for a mini parking area, but at a grinding halt they stopped midway during the pour. Thats why is you had walked by before, there was a thin layer of cement.
`````Thats all for this week,

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 5:40 AM

5/7/2015

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 1:46 AM

^piggybacking off the previous photo, I was able to get photos through the chain-linked fence.
IMG_20150514_134359 by baron, on Flickr
IMG_20150514_134403 by baron, on Flickr

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 5:23 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice! It's officially under construction. I'll ask to have it moved.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:35 AM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 6:13 PM

The Mining Exchange is now stripped down to just its facade:

Bonus:
Progress at 500 Pine

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 8:50 PM

They've installed a conveyor - presumably to remove the huge amount of soil from underneath the old structure.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 2:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the photo updates, guys. I drove by 500 Pine yesterday. I couldn't take a picture, but it looked like they are just about up to park level now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 11:48 PM

Progress in digging under the original structure...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_h View Post
Progress in digging under the original structure...

So are the plans to rebuild the historic interior or build something contemporary?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive