HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Well he does because he is an elite talent. He has the second most goals since he came into the league which is pretty good. I'd say that puts him into the conversation of best players automatically.
I agree, he is an elite talent. But is not on the level of Crosby and McDavid.

Goals scored doesn't make up for his less than stellar 5v5 play. He has a long way to go to become a complete player.

Is Anders Lee in the conversation of best players in the league as well?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Why don’t we wait to see how the season progresses before starting to make pronouncements about who belongs in what sentence?
My comment was based on the present.

As it stands right now, Crosby and McDavid are far superior to Laine. I would love for him to prove otherwise, but there is a long way to go to get there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:09 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJYBR View Post
I agree, he is an elite talent. But is not on the level of Crosby and McDavid.

Goals scored doesn't make up for his less than stellar 5v5 play. He has a long way to go to become a complete player.

Is Anders Lee in the conversation of best players in the league as well?
Anders Lee is not in the conversation because he doesn't bring the same skillset. Btw not to rain on the parade or anything but analysts are already talking about laine in the context of being the best. Maybe he's not the most complete player there is but his overall game is pretty good.

What do you have against laine anyway?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Anders Lee is not in the conversation because he doesn't bring the same skillset. Btw not to rain on the parade or anything but analysts are already talking about laine in the context of being the best. Maybe he's not the most complete player there is but his overall game is pretty good.

What do you have against laine anyway?
Absolutely nothing against Laine. Favorite player to watch on the Jets.

I just do not believe he is as good as McDavid or Crosby. If I were to start a team, there are at least a handful of players I would take before Laine.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJYBR View Post
Absolutely nothing against Laine. Favorite player to watch on the Jets.

I just do not believe he is as good as McDavid or Crosby. If I were to start a team, there are at least a handful of players I would take before Laine.
Crosby. like really he isn’t as an elite player as he once was. He’s a little baby actually and if that makes him elite then guess I should buy a soother trophy.

Crosby is an assist player. A guy that sets up goals. Not a pure goal scorer. Laine is a goal scorer. It takes goals to win games. Not assists. The guys that’s putting in between the pipes is the talented guy. Hence the capitols with Ovi. The best scorer in the league just above Laine btw won the cup. Your Mcdavid has taken his team where ? Oh that’s right last place. Plus he is another little baby on the ice.

Cheer for your oilers. They will need all the help they can get.

Saying Laine is not an elite player is an insult to the Jets. And every hockey anylist out there. Laines shot is unmatched in the league.

Have a good one

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:01 PM

One player doesn't make a team. McDavid is the best right now, hands down. All the analysts agree. He can still be the best player and his team be shit because of management. Trading Hall for Larsson?? C'mon. Hall is one of the best in the game.

Laine has a good shot and good hands. Other than that his game isn't anything spectacular. Sure lay it on me, it's the truth. I still like him just as much as every other Jets fan. Hopefully as he gets older, his quickness will improve. He admits this is his biggest fault, slowness. That's what he worked on this summer. Both nutrition and explosiveness exercises.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Crosby. like really he isn’t as an elite player as he once was. He’s a little baby actually and if that makes him elite then guess I should buy a soother trophy.

Crosby is an assist player. A guy that sets up goals. Not a pure goal scorer. Laine is a goal scorer. It takes goals to win games. Not assists. The guys that’s putting in between the pipes is the talented guy. Hence the capitols with Ovi. The best scorer in the league just above Laine btw won the cup. Your Mcdavid has taken his team where ? Oh that’s right last place. Plus he is another little baby on the ice.

Saying Laine is not an elite player is an insult to the Jets. And every hockey anylist out there. Laines shot is unmatched in the league.

Have a good one
RE: Crosby
Right, the team with the most goals wins, but this isn't hitting home runs in baseball where it is an individual effort all the time. Those guys aren't going end to end every time to score, someone needs to set them up. It takes just as much talent to be an elite set up man as it does a goal scorer.

The best scorer in the league just won his first Stanley Cup, and took the Conn Smythe with it. Who took home both of those trophies the two previous years?

RE: McDavid
I would be willing to bet he has the highest points/GP in the league since he joined. And he was 3 goals behind Laine last year. I would say it is a pretty good accomplishment to win the Art Ross x2 and 1 Hart trophy when you have only played 2 full seasons.

RE: Laine
Please read my previous post. Opening sentence: I agree, he is an elite talent.

As I said, I am a huge Laine and Jets fan. But there are better players in the league. He might not even be the best player on the Jets.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
One player doesn't make a team. McDavid is the best right now, hands down. All the analysts agree. He can still be the best player and his team be shit because of management. Trading Hall for Larsson?? C'mon. Hall is one of the best in the game.

Laine has a good shot and good hands. Other than that his game isn't anything spectacular. Sure lay it on me, it's the truth. I still like him just as much as every other Jets fan. Hopefully as he gets older, his quickness will improve. He admits this is his biggest fault, slowness. That's what he worked on this summer. Both nutrition and explosiveness exercises.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:17 PM

My criteria for being a superstar is that you have lifted others around you to the extent that you have won a championship. Until you win something, you ain't a superstar.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:11 PM
BANNED

The Jets need to find Laine a center that can feed him the puck more. Little just is not cutting it. I am also in favor of sending Myers to the press box, to see what Poolman can do. Myers has been atrocious so far. Finally, I hope Niku gets a shot at the big league soon. I think he has more potential than Morrow and Chiarot.

Connor is on pace for a 50 goal season, and looks great.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
My criteria for being a superstar is that you have lifted others around you to the extent that you have won a championship. Until you win something, you ain't a superstar.
By that definition you wouldn't consider Connor McDavid a superstar and Ovi only became a superstar this past spring. A superstar should be someone who lifts those around him up but the best player in the world surrounded by terrible players is still the best player and a superstar.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:13 PM

Short sample size but here's what we think we know:

- We need a 2nd line center. Little is a good player and wins Faceoffs and he has a place here. But you can't sacrifice Laine & ehlers because Little deserves it. Swap Laine/Connor and see if Connor can play with Little. Or move Roslo up.

- Vesa likely needs to be sent down.

- Chevy better be working the phones looking for a top 4 D because if the plan this year is to rely on goalies stealing games, we're not even a playoff team. I used to be a Myers guy but he looks awful. Kulikov...maybe rusty but he isnt in the Jets long term plans anyway. See what you can get for them and then go out and get a top 4 D.

And here's my crazy trade suggestion. if Trouba isnt going to sign here, trade him to TO for Nylander, sign him long term and trade Ehlers for a top D. Package Myers & Kulikov for more D help.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
By that definition you wouldn't consider Connor McDavid a superstar and Ovi only became a superstar this past spring. A superstar should be someone who lifts those around him up but the best player in the world surrounded by terrible players is still the best player and a superstar.
That’s right Einstein. That is my criteria. Apparently you had to spell it out for yourself to understand it. Thanks for coming out.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
That’s right Einstein. That is my criteria. Apparently you had to spell it out for yourself to understand it. Thanks for coming out.
That's ridiculous, a man who won all these trophy's before the Stanley cup was not considered elite until June 2018. The guy won the title for most goals 7 of his 12 years in the league almost 60%:

Calder Trophy 1
Art Ross 1
Ted Lindsay(MOP) 3
Hart Trophy 3
Rocket Richard 7

So following your logic, Ron Hainsey was more elite then Ovi until he won the cup

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Short sample size but here's what we think we know:

- We need a 2nd line center. Little is a good player and wins Faceoffs and he has a place here. But you can't sacrifice Laine & ehlers because Little deserves it. Swap Laine/Connor and see if Connor can play with Little. Or move Roslo up.

- Vesa likely needs to be sent down.

- Chevy better be working the phones looking for a top 4 D because if the plan this year is to rely on goalies stealing games, we're not even a playoff team. I used to be a Myers guy but he looks awful. Kulikov...maybe rusty but he isnt in the Jets long term plans anyway. See what you can get for them and then go out and get a top 4 D.

And here's my crazy trade suggestion. if Trouba isnt going to sign here, trade him to TO for Nylander, sign him long term and trade Ehlers for a top D. Package Myers & Kulikov for more D help.
Vesa sent down today. Or at least benched anyways. Lemieux will play tomorrow. Dano claimed on waivers by Avs today, so Petan also riding the bench with Vesa.

The trade doesn't sound too bad. Even though I love Ehlers, he hasn't really produced to the level I thought he would. 60 points per year still pretty good with room to grow. Maybe with top line minutes he'd do more. Great speed, good hands. Thing is, who do you get back for Ehlers and change? Losing Trouba and Ehlers for Nylander requires a very good D man coming back. Basically Jets will have Buff and Morrissey left.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Have a good one
Laine an elite player, while Crosby isn't

LOL. Funniest shit I've heard on this thread.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You do realize it's a team game, do you not?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:45 PM

Winning 2 cups, being top scorer in the league doesn't make you elite? Scoring over a point per game every year for your career is pretty damn good.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 2:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Laine an elite player, while Crosby isn't

LOL. Funniest shit I've heard on this thread.
Crosby was an elite player. Jen is still a top player. But I wasn’t really knocking off Cindy anyway. It was the remark the the second top goal scorer in the league isn’t an elected player comment made by whatever his name was is a joke.

I remember years ago lots of Your slamming Scheiff also. Then he became one of the best players in the nhl. Laines paired with little. It doesn’t work for them. The rest of your line has to jive with you. Put Mathews or McJesus or Cindy with two guys that don’t jive and their points would drop substantially.

Either way. I cannot stand sucks on the ice. Hence Cindy and my dislike for him. He is like PK. Always crying about something. He makes so much money he shouldn’t act like he does. In fact isn’t he the highest paid in the nhl or the highest paid contract. An insane one at that.

As for cups........... Buffy has a few cups. Ladd had a few cups. So What? It takes an entire team. Look at the Caps this year. Not doing so good are they amd they do have a cup. Look at. Vegas they are a joke this year as I predicted btw.

Had the jets beat them last year we’d have probably had the cup. Now would that have made Laine or Scheif or Wheels superstars.....like Cindy and his box of tissues.

In fact they should make a tissue box with his mugshot on it. I’d buy that.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Crosby was an elite player. Jen is still a top player. But I wasn’t really knocking off Cindy anyway. It was the remark the the second top goal scorer in the league isn’t an elected player comment made by whatever his name was is a joke.

I remember years ago lots of Your slamming Scheiff also. Then he became one of the best players in the nhl. Laines paired with little. It doesn’t work for them. The rest of your line has to jive with you. Put Mathews or McJesus or Cindy with two guys that don’t jive and their points would drop substantially.

Either way. I cannot stand sucks on the ice. Hence Cindy and my dislike for him. He is like PK. Always crying about something. He makes so much money he shouldn’t act like he does. In fact isn’t he the highest paid in the nhl or the highest paid contract. An insane one at that.

As for cups........... Buffy has a few cups. Ladd had a few cups. So What? It takes an entire team. Look at the Caps this year. Not doing so good are they amd they do have a cup. Look at. Vegas they are a joke this year as I predicted btw.

Had the jets beat them last year we’d have probably had the cup. Now would that have made Laine or Scheif or Wheels superstars.....like Cindy and his box of tissues.

In fact they should make a tissue box with his mugshot on it. I’d buy that.
You quoted me as saying Laine is not an elite player...When the first thing I said is that he is an elite player.

I'm assuming you're talking about Crosby when you say Cindy. I am pretty sure he is outside the top 10 in salary, and he is definitely outside the top 10 in cap hit.

Please take the time to do some digging before misquoting someones remarks or throwing out incorrect stats when trying to make a point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan