HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:24 PM

The best quote is from the Free Press:

Quote:
Some members of Winnipeg's real estate industry, however, are fuming over what they describe as a lack of access to the site, which was once sublet to the Winnipeg Goldeyes and is currently used as a City of Winnipeg parking lot.

"If that land was in play, why wouldn't they bring it into play for everyone? There are many, many things that would deliver greater value for that land," said one private-sector real estate expert.

"I'm very, very shocked a high-quality parcel of land is being dedicated to a water park when there are clearly better uses, like high-density residential or an office development. It was never available on the public market."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...147282955.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:36 PM

Just finished my conversation with Mr. Scott Fielding.

There was no way I was going to change his mind about this. He seems to thing people will come from all over to see this thing. Every point I brought up he just kept reiterating the same thing over and over again. He was very insistent and I can without a doubt say he has weird take on things as he flat out told me 1) He thinks sprawl is a good thing, and the concern for problems regarding sprawl are not warranted, and 2) that he voted against RT and said the city doesn't need it.

There was no changing his mind, he has heard my and your concerns, but in the end we had no choice but to agree to disagree.

He was however very polite and professional.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Just finished my conversation with Mr. Scott Fielding.

There was no way I was going to change his mind about this. He seems to thing people will come from all over to see this thing. Every point I brought up he just kept reiterating the same thing over and over again. He was very insistent and I can without a doubt say he has weird take on things as he flat out told me 1) He thinks sprawl is a good thing, and the concern for problems regarding sprawl are not warranted, and 2) that he voted against RT and said the city doesn't need it.

There was no changing his mind, he has heard my and your concerns, but in the end we had no choice but to agree to disagree.

He was however very polite and professional.
According to Bart Kives, Fielding is planning to take a run at mayor when Katz quits. Let's all keep this conversation in mind if that ever happens. His is exactly the kind of thinking that Winnipeg doesn't need.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
According to Bart Kives, Fielding is planning to take a run at mayor when Katz quits. Let's all keep this conversation in mind if that ever happens. His is exactly the kind of thinking that Winnipeg doesn't need.
The odd thing is that despite everything I told him, and I told him a lot, he sincerely believes that this is going to be a world class facility.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I'm heading right to Edmonton if Fielding becomes Mayor. JUST SAYING.

Plus he's going to face a war with Winnipeg Transit and commuters if he even touches RT. IMO.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:56 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
The best quote is from the Free Press:

EXACTLY! I remember drawing up mid-rises and high-rises for that site in High School art classes! Pretty sure 75 million can get ALOT more than a beige/sepia hotel and pool in the heart of Winnipeg...

If I had that kind of money, I'd create a WAY better development. Draw one on SketchUp, pay trueviking or chrisallard to look it over, maybe edit it for engineering purposes. Us SSP guys would be a much better firm than Canalta, by far. For fuck sakes, I'll even SketchUp my own water park and post it on here!!!!! It's going to be MUCH MORE ATTRACTIVE

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:08 PM
BANNED

I sent another e-mail stating my disgust with the proposal. I also asked them which other Canadian city's central urban area would allow a proposal like this (Granville Island? Whyte Ave in Edmonton? Stephen Ave in Calgary? Old Montreal?) I mean really, this chain is headquarted in Alberta yet has no visible presence in it's two major cities. Totally out of their league.

It makes sense Shindico is behind this bullshit.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:36 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Normally I would defend any good proposal that needs to be built at a good location, but this proposal is NONE of those things, as implied in my previous comment.

This is just simply a bad proposal. No renderings, basically NO public consultation (yet again), and it seems a slap-dash job for Katz and his cronies to do a project that's considered "world class" in their eyes when clearly it doesn't.

This whole thing is going to hell in a hand basket real fast...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:06 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I sent another e-mail stating my disgust with the proposal. I also asked them which other Canadian city's central urban area would allow a proposal like this (Granville Island? Whyte Ave in Edmonton? Stephen Ave in Calgary? Old Montreal?) I mean really, this chain is headquarted in Alberta yet has no visible presence in it's two major cities. Totally out of their league.

It makes sense Shindico is behind this bullshit.
Coming from the same people as the RREx plan!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:07 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

katz GTFO

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:18 PM

Can something be done by citizens at this point to stop this mundane monstrosity from polluting the best parcel of land in the city, or is it too late?

This might seem like a tacky idea, but would a Facebook page / petition regarding this have any effect? I don't really know if these kinds of online bandwagon approaches are efficient, or if they are more of a 'feel good' vehicle for the people who sign them. If anybody thinks such a page would have any positive effect at this stage in the game, I would be interested in contributing to this, or a similar project.

Because really anything else would be a better alternative for this site. ANYTHING. A gas station. A Tim Fucking Horton's. They're tasteless, bland, tiny, and redundant. But at least they are buildings more citizens will actually frequent and support. Even a Walmart would bring more people to the area to spend their money. I know these are disgusting options, but seriously. If we're not going to build something impressive, iconic, or exciting, we might as well build something that the locals will often use.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:19 PM

not just katz but any council member who voted in support of this idea,

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Can something be done by citizens at this point to stop this mundane monstrosity from polluting the best parcel of land in the city, or is it too late?

This might seem like a tacky idea, but would a Facebook page / petition regarding this have any effect? I don't really know if these kinds of online bandwagon approaches are efficient, or if they are more of a 'feel good' vehicle for the people who sign them. If anybody thinks such a page would have any positive effect at this stage in the game, I would be interested in contributing to this, or a similar project.

Because really anything else would be a better alternative for this site. ANYTHING. A gas station. A Tim Fucking Horton's. They're tasteless, bland, tiny, and redundant. But at least they are buildings more citizens will actually frequent and support. Even a Walmart would bring more people to the area to spend their money. I know these are disgusting options, but seriously. If we're not going to build something impressive, iconic, or exciting, we might as well build something that the locals will often use.
the page itself might not have a great affect, but could be a useful tool to mobilize support against the waterpark and to organize related activities

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:24 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post

Agreed. Might as well go Demolition Man and build this:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
The odd thing is that despite everything I told him, and I told him a lot, he sincerely believes that this is going to be a world class facility.
Ok, well the results of your communication with him kinda cheesed me off. Not that it will make much of a difference, but here's what I sent him:

Quote:
To: sfielding@winnipeg.ca

Hi Scott,

Just wanted to express my disappointment with your alleged unwavering
support of the CanAlta hotel/waterpark proposal on what is perhaps the
highest profile/highest potential but currently unused lot in the downtown.

The lot in question is undoubtedly one of the highest potential lots in the
city. Not just potential for a great community asset, but potential for a
high amount of property tax receipts. What goes in that location should be
something that turns the Forks into a true neighbourhood. It should bridge
the existing gap between the Forks and the rest of downtown, and it should
do that with an atheistically pleasing and very walkable design. I point
you to a 2010 column from the Free Press which illustrates the kind of
potential that lot could have:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...-94806684.html
With that in mind, I then point you to a quote from the Free Press today (
):
Some members of Winnipeg's *real estate industry*, however, are fuming over
what they describe as a lack of access to the site, which was once sublet
to the Winnipeg Goldeyes and is currently used as a City of Winnipeg
parking lot.

"If that land was in play, why wouldn't they bring it into play for
everyone? *There are many, many things that would deliver greater value for
that land*," said one private-sector real estate expert.

"I'm very, very shocked a high-quality parcel of land is being dedicated to
a water park when there are *clearly better uses, like high-density
residential or an office development. It was never available on the public
market.*"
Sounds to me that there is the potential for developers to jump on board if
that lot were to ever become openly available for a residential or
mixed-use purpose. The addition of housing in The Exchange has been highly
successful, and positively contributes to the city's property tax base
while not requiring huge investments in roads/sewers and other services
that are required for every new far flung suburb. The lot in question
could be part of and build on this success.

A 50,000 sq ft waterpark is not 'world class'. It's barely larger than
CanadInns Grand Forks, and my understanding is that there is a waterpark of
similar size in Yorkton, Saskatchewan. Yorkton. And we're going to put
this at The Forks beside the CMHR, the Esplanade Riel, and the Forks
National Historic Site.

This location is ripe for development, but the proposed development is
unlikely to be the right fit for the location, and will almost certainly
not live up to the potential of the location.

Yours truly,

Robert Young
340 Waterfront Drive

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:48 PM

Does anybody know if I could potentially run into legal problems if I were to publish the email addresses of the city councillors on my blog? I don't see why it should be a problem because they're already public, but I just want to cover my arse.

I hope to encourage my readers to contact the councillors to voice their opposition to that atrocious plan. Might just be a drop in the bucket but at least it's something. Apathy about this is unacceptable.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:48 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Would organizing a protest at City Hall be appropriate? I mean, it's a classic, and yet, more "vocal" way to go against this proposal than just simply create a Facebook petition against it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:51 PM

is there not going to be a public consolation? I was hoping there would be and people could organize a massive flood to city hall for that, if there is one hopefully its on after i get back

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
I'm sorry. Although all the e-mails that some of you are sending to your local counselors are valid opinions that are meant within free speech, I don't blame the counselors sending out 'robo-responses' back to you all. You know why? CAUSE THE DAMN PROPSAL HASN'T EVEN BEEN VOTED ON YET AND RENDERINGS HAVEN'T BEEN MADE PUBLIC!!!

You guys just need to calm down. People at city hall WILL NOT put through a proposals that are meant off the side of a highway or on a strip down Pembina. Have some faith.

For up to the date posts of the 311 At Centre Point Winnipeg, PLEASE visit my form here at -----> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197745
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=humphr...45.97,,0,-8.61

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
And then while on the same tour drive up Main to just past Logan. Oh, and then loop around and see what's coming up at Princess and Logan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan