HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:22 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
They are actually comparable as the questions(s) is asked in a very similar way in Canada.

The home language question (Question 8) was divided into two parts:

a) What language does this person speak most often at home?
b) Does this person speak any other languages on a regular basis at home?

Can this person speak English or French well enough to conduct a conversation?

1: English only
2: French only
3: Both English and French
4: Neither English nor French

STEP E - Question identifier:8. a)

What language does this person speak most often at home?

1: English
2: French
3: Other language - specify:

STEP E - Question identifier:8 b)

Does this person speak any other languages on a regular basis at home?

1: No
2: Yes, English
3: Yes, French
4: Yes, other language - specify:

2016 Census 2A Questionnaire

This is why there are at least two stats in Canada -- one is for language spoken most often at home and one is language spoken at home (which can be multiple like English or French and other(s)).
It's close but it does not appear to me to lead to a perfect apples-to-apples situation. In the Canadian one it's much clearer that you need to have Chinese or Italian pretty close to your number one language spoken at home in order to answer that. The Australian one opens the door to people answering Chinese or Italian even if they speak it only occasionally.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:49 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's close but it does not appear to me to lead to a perfect apples-to-apples situation. In the Canadian one it's much clearer that you need to have Chinese or Italian pretty close to your number one language spoken at home in order to answer that. The Australian one opens the door to people answering Chinese or Italian even if they speak it only occasionally.

I think that they can still be compared quite closely because if you assume their stats to equal the 2nd stat of the Canadian language question which can be of multiple responses (English, French and/or other) then it too can be viewed the same as speaking Chinese or Italian only occasionally which would be about as close as you can get for two different countries.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:09 PM

Thanks for the figures Urbanguy. If you want some more up to date UK numbers they are available now for 2017 here.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...yingdatasheets

There have been several changes since 2011, for example Poland has overtaken India as #1 country of birth for the UK as a whole.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
I think that they can still be compared quite closely because if you assume their stats to equal the 2nd stat of the Canadian language question which can be of multiple responses (English, French and/or other) then it too can be viewed the same as speaking Chinese or Italian only occasionally which would be about as close as you can get for two different countries.
That's one way of making the comparison a bit more reasonable, but it still won't reflect reality. There's two big factors here. The Canadian census first asks "which language do you speak most often at home", with the words most often being key. Then it asks you what other language do you speak on a regular basis. Adding "on a regular basis" to the follow-up makes it completely different than the Australian one. The Canadian census doesn't capture people who speak a non-official language on a non-regular basis, while the Australian ones does. The Australian question is very general and makes it easier for people who speak an immigrant to list it as a language spoken at home, even if they seldom use it.

Before analyzing Census data, especially from one country to another, it's important to take a look at how people answer each question.

In Canada, people can choose Jewish as an ethnicity. Census data on ethnicity in Canada shows that the Jewish population decreased by 56% between 2016 and 2011. In reality, this was not the case because it turns out that people were putting Polish or Russian instead of Jewish in the 2016 Census because Jewish was no longer one of the 20 examples listed as a choice.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3837748/j...6-census-data/

The way the language question is asked in Australia is very similar to how it is done in the USA however.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/2901.0Main%20Features802016/$FILE/2016%20Census%20Sample%20Household%20Form.pdf
It's freaky how the Australian census form resembles the Canadian one. It's almost like it was designed by the same company.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's one way of making the comparison a bit more reasonable, but it still won't reflect reality. There's two big factors here. The Canadian census first asks "which language do you speak most often at home", with the words most often being key. Then it asks you what other language do you speak on a regular basis. Adding "on a regular basis" to the follow-up makes it completely different than the Australian one. The Canadian census doesn't capture people who speak a non-official language on a non-regular basis, while the Australian ones does. The Australian question is very general and makes it easier for people who speak an immigrant to list it as a language spoken at home, even if they seldom use it.

Before analyzing Census data, especially from one country to another, it's important to take a look at how people answer each question.
Looking that the questionnaires more closely, the Australian one seems to assume that everyone in the country at a very minimum speaks English at home, though they may speak another language *in addition* to English too.

So basically every single number for Chinese or Italian or Swahili is Chinese+English, Italian+English, Swahili+English, etc. without much regard for which percentage of which is actually used. Whereas the way it's portrayed in the stats - this is not a slag on Urbanguy BTW, his work is awesome - it's as if everyone under the Chinese, Italian or Swahili had these immigrant tongues as their primary home language. That's highly unlikely. Even impossible.

The Canadian questions allow for a greater multiplicity of scenarios. So you can report speaking English+Chinese at home, or French+Chinese or even English+French+Chinese, or even Chinese only.

It's not perfect either in that you don't have percentages of how much of each, but it does give a bit more accurate a breakdown IMO of the languages and how they are actually used.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 8:47 PM

Just for discussion purposes, in Canada there are 574,725 people that indicated in the 2016 Census that they speak Italian. About 150,965 people said that they speak Greek.

This is how the question was asked:

What language(s), other than English or French, can this person speak well enough to conduct a conversation?

1: None; OR
2: Other language(s) — specify

Is it safe to say that a good chunk of these people would have indicated that they speak Greek or Italian at home aside from English, if the question in the Canadian census was asked the same way as it was in Australia?

Maybe these numbers can be used as a comparison to the Australian language spoken at home ones.

However, the Census Canada question on non-official language knowledge specifically asks if you know the language well enough to conduct a conversation. There are a lot of third generation people of these two ethnic backgrounds in Canada that probably answered "None" to that question, even if they still know a few sentences or words in those languages.

Now, take these same people and put them in Australia. They may be inclined to indicate that they speak Greek or Italian at home, aside from English, even though they only say a few words here and there to their grandparents, and despite the fact that they don't have the sufficient knowledge to conduct a conversation.

I've been fascinated by Census language numbers for years and have always tried to analyse and compare the differences from country to country. What I mentionned above are my theories explaining the discrepancies. I'm just putting it out there to see what others think.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of third generation people of these two ethnic backgrounds in Canada that probably answered "None" to that question, even if they still know a few sentences or words in those languages.

Now, take these same people and put them in Australia. They may be inclined to indicate that they speak Greek or Italian at home, aside from English, even though they only say a few words here and there to their grandparents, and despite the fact that they don't have the sufficient knowledge to conduct a conversation.
I don't know about the average person, but I would not answer I "know" how to speak a language from a few sentences or words in terms of a "repeat a canned phrase" sense, if literally there is no exchange in said language in a naturalistic setting of even attempting to accommodate a "back and forth" conversation with another speaker responding for a short duration of time.

Otherwise, every kid whose immigrant classmates taught him or her a list of a dozen greetings, insults or dirty words would claim to know another language.

If I memorized a few pages of the "tourist's guide to country X", and end up with a few fixed phrases by heart like "Hello!", "Help!" "Where's the bathroom" or "what's the time?", I would still not call that "knowing how to speak that language", if all I am doing is memorizing phonemes without understanding.

I'm already hesitant to say I can "hold a conversation in" French, though I spent a couple years in elementary French immersion (just a little more on top of the typical French education that most Anglo-Canadians received for the rest of my elementary/middle/high school years).

Last edited by Capsicum; Sep 28, 2018 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 9:25 PM

Do we expect Aussies, Canadians, and Americans to differ in how high or low the bar is set for "knowing" another language?

Would Canadians and Americans have a higher bar because there is one non-English language (French and Spanish) whose native speakers and their communities nation-wide are widely encountered by non-fluent speakers, so who knows the language well versus who only learnt the language at a superficial level or school environment setting is more evident?

Are they then more aware or self-conscious of comparing themselves with the "second" most widely spoken language in terms of what a fluent "second language speaker" is like?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 4:08 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:

I've been fascinated by Census language numbers for years and have always tried to analyse and compare the differences from country to country. What I mentionned above are my theories explaining the discrepancies. I'm just putting it out there to see what others think.
As you, Acajack & I have been trying to decipher all the information and determine if they are comparable or not i'd say that from what i've seen of all the statistics i've looked at -- is that it's about as close as it gets.

Each country seems to ask that sort of language at home question in slightly different ways.

Also, I interpreted the Australian questionnaire the same way that Acajack had just mentioned -- that the Australian Census appears to assume that everyone at a very minimum speaks English at home.

@Jonesy55, thank you! I have seen those statistics but the one thing that I don't like about them is that it's mainly rounded in the thousands.

@Capsicum, you bring up a good point. I think for the most part especially when it comes to countries that share so much in common historically at the root (majority English-speaking, once part of the UK, etc) that later became huge immigrant hubs that they'd be, at the very least, comparable demographically. However, it's not always the case but it can give us a pretty good idea overall as we put the pieces together.

There are very few countries that go into very great detail -- I'd say that among those Canada, Australia and a few places in Europe do it quite well. The US Census goes into fairly great detail at the national level but becomes limited as you start diving into specifics at city or municipal levels. Some countries don't even share citizenship/foreign born figures or non-native languages so you have to depend on other sources like the UN. Then you have some countries that seem to make it very difficult to find anything that resembles what i've posted so far as you have to dig like you're looking for gold to find information. It can be tedious, luckily i enjoy it otherwise i'd give up.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 4:44 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Alright, continuing on with the United Kingdom we are going to exploring some of the smaller cities and go deeper into some of those that we rarely see on this site (mainly because we are so North America-centric).

Kicking things off is....(I'm liking the skyline, not bad at all)

Image Source: waylandscape.co.uk

Top 50 Non-United Kingdom countries or places of birth

Liverpool, United Kingdom 2011

1 China, People's Republic of 4,640
2 Poland (Polska) 3,531
3 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 3,294
4 India (Bhārat) 3,082
5 Nigeria 1,951
6 Yemen (Al Yaman) 1,455
7 Germany (Deutschland) 1,289
8 Somalia 1,249
9 Iraq 1,191
10 Zimbabwe 1,070

11 Pakistan 1,023
12 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 926
13 Saudi Arabia 852
14 Iran, Islamic Republic of 763
15 United States of America 726
16 Malaysia 684
17 Spain (España) 610
18 South Africa, Republic of 593
19 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 580
20 Sri Lanka 575

21 Bangladesh 552
22 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 536
23 Lithuania (Lietuva) 531
24 France 512
25 Italy (Italia) 489
26 Ghana 479
27 Czech Republic (Česká Republika) 465
28 Kenya 387
29 Australia 383
30 Canada 356

Total Foreign-born: 46,125
Total Population: 466,415

Main Language: All usual residents aged 3 and over (excluding English)

Liverpool BUA, United Kingdom 2011

1 Chinese (other) 4,301
2 Polish 4,237
3 Arabic 3,879
4 Somali 1,068
5 Cantonese Chinese 1,051
6 Kurdish 1,012
7 French 1,000
8 Spanish 918
9 Malayalam 776
10 Slovak 679

11 Tamil 666
12 Bengali (with Sylheti and Chatgaya) 661
13 Urdu 629
14 Persian/Farsi 594
15 German 569
16 Tagalog/Filipino 549
17 Turkish 539
18 Mandarin Chinese 538
19 Lithuanian 524
20 Portuguese 502

21 Greek 490
22 Czech 465
23 Italian 457
24 Russian 416
25 Welsh/Cymraeg (in England only) 405
26 Hindi 368
27 Shona 318
28 Hungarian 298
29 Panjabi 264
30 Romanian 250

*Built Up Area, slightly larger area than Liverpool statistics posted above

...and now we're off to the city of...

Image Source: Proper Job Productions@flickr.com

Bristol City, United Kingdom 2011

1 Poland (Polska) 6,415
2 Somalia 4,947
3 India (Bhārat) 3,809
4 Jamaica 3,279
5 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 2,900
6 Pakistan 2,770
7 Germany (Deutschland) 2,329
8 China, People's Republic of 1,750
9 France 1,458
10 South Africa, Republic of 1,390

11 United States of America 1,354
12 Italy (Italia) 1,322
13 Nigeria 1,124
14 Spain (España) 1,110
15 Bangladesh 1,039
16 Australia 1,025
17 Netherlands (Nederland) 996
18 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 959
19 Zimbabwe 944
20 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 924

21 Kenya 774
22 Canada 736
23 Hungary (Magyarország) 702
24 Malaysia 671
25 Iran, Islamic Republic of 638
26 Romania (România) 587
27 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 553
28 Lithuania (Lietuva) 493
29 Latvia (Latvija) 492
30 Iraq 486

Total Foreign-born: 63,126
Total Population: 428,234

Bristol BUA, United Kingdom 2011

1 Polish 7,475
2 Somali 5,019
3 Chinese (other) 1,903
4 Urdu 1,595
5 French 1,580
6 Spanish 1,486
7 Panjabi 1,460
8 Arabic 1,295
9 Portuguese 1,150
10 Italian 1,103

11 Bengali (with Sylheti and Chatgaya) 1,075
12 Hungarian 937
13 German 870
14 Malayalam 771
15 Slovak 658
16 Russian 655
17 Tagalog/Filipino 611
18 Romanian 602
19 Cantonese Chinese 585
20 Lithuanian 572

21 Greek 555
22 Kurdish 552
23 Turkish 488
24 Persian/Farsi 484
25 Gujarati 463
26 Thai 425
27 Hindi 416
28 Tamil 408
29 Latvian 346
30 Mandarin Chinese 337

*Built Up Area, slightly larger area than Bristol statistics posted above

I haven't been to the UK in years but I can honestly say that i've never heard of this city until recently and it appears to have had the highest foreign-born population of any city in the UK in 2001, percentage-wise at 33.6% & I'd say arguably one of the most diverse foreign-born populations of any city its size. It was also considered to be one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the country that was on the verge of becoming the first city with a minority-White population which hovered at 50.6%.

Image Source: leicestermercury.co.uk

...and that city is Leicester!

Image Source: wikimedia.org

Leicester, United Kingdom 2011

1 India (Bhārat) 37,224
2 Kenya 7,118
3 Poland (Polska) 6,417
4 Uganda 3,617
5 Pakistan 3,534
6 Zimbabwe 3,377
7 Malawi 3,221
8 Somalia 3,209
9 Tanzania, United Republic of 2,598
10 China, People's Republic of 2,401

11 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 1,933
12 Bangladesh 1,753
13 Sri Lanka 1,629
14 Saudi Arabia 1,374
15 Iraq 1,356
16 Germany (Deutschland) 1,196
17 Mozambique (Moçambique) 1,184
18 Nigeria 1,133
19 Netherlands (Nederland) 1,025
20 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 986

21 Portugal 958
22 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 900
23 Zambia 876
24 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 771
25 Jamaica 768
26 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 746
27 Latvia (Latvija) 746
28 South Africa, Republic of 721
29 Iran, Islamic Republic of 675
30 France 642

Total Foreign-born: 110,787
Total Population: 329,839

Leicester BUA, United Kingdom 2011

1 Gujarati 40,268
2 Panjabi 9,741
3 Polish 6,938
4 Urdu 3,670
5 Somali 3,331
6 Arabic 2,752
7 Chinese (other) 2,490
8 Bengali (with Sylheti and Chatgaya) 1,875
9 Portuguese 1,816
10 Tamil 1,632

11 Kurdish 1,526
12 Hindi 1,296
13 Persian/Farsi 1,081
14 French 963
15 Slovak 930
16 Shona 877
17 Turkish 690
18 Greek 618
19 Cantonese Chinese 596
20 Swahili/Kiswahili 544

21 Tagalog/Filipino 535
22 Latvian 509
23 Malayalam 460
24 Italian 448
25 Pashto 446
26 Spanish 443
27 Russian 441
28 Lithuanian 390
29 German 385
30 Czech 357

*Built Up Area, slightly larger area than Leicester statistics posted above

...and now we're off to Wales to...(I see lot's of potential with this port and waterfront)

Image Source: cruisemapper.com

Cardiff City (Wales), United Kingdom 2011

1 India (Bhārat) 4,707
2 Poland (Polska) 2,780
3 Pakistan 2,647
4 Bangladesh 2,208
5 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 2,061
6 China, People's Republic of 1,881
7 Somalia 1,672
8 Germany (Deutschland) 1,491
9 Iraq 1,153
10 Saudi Arabia 994

11 Malaysia 914
12 Iran, Islamic Republic of 889
13 Italy (Italia) 840
14 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 817
15 United States of America 768
16 South Africa, Republic of 711
17 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 704
18 Nigeria 696
19 Czech Republic (Česká Republika) 674
20 France 638

21 Portugal 617
22 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 591
23 Kenya 534
24 Sudan 522
25 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 518
26 Spain (España) 515
27 Yemen (Al Yaman) 507
28 Zimbabwe 505
29 Australia 489
30 Netherlands (Nederland) 429

Total Foreign-born: 45,724
Total Population: 346,090

Cardiff BUA, United Kingdom 2011

1 Arabic 3,623
2 Polish 2,942
3 Bengali (with Sylheti and Chatgaya) 2,469
4 Chinese (other) 2,007
5 Somali 1,396
6 Urdu 1,258
7 French 836
8 Portuguese 755
9 Persian/Farsi 743
10 Panjabi 663

11 Spanish 660
12 Gujarati 652
13 Czech 614
14 Italian 591
15 Kurdish 559
16 Greek 558
17 Pashto 553
18 Hindi 536
19 German 522
20 Tagalog/Filipino 516

21 Cantonese Chinese 455
22 Malayalam 446
23 Slovak 443
24 Malay 418
25 Tamil 350
26 Russian 318
27 Hungarian 287
28 Mandarin Chinese 280
29 Romanian 263
30 Lithuanian 217

*Built Up Area, slightly larger area than Cardiff statistics posted above

To north we go to Scotland and to...

Glasgow City (Scotland), United Kingdom 2011

1 Pakistan 9,319
2 Poland (Polska) 7,577
3 India (Bhārat) 5,789
4 China, People's Republic of 5,513
5 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 4,339
6 Nigeria 2,761
7 Germany (Deutschland) 1,948
8 United States of America 1,866
9 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 1,430
10 Malaysia 1,199

11 Iraq 1,191
12 Iran, Islamic Republic of 1,136
13 Canada 1,113
14 France 1,077
15 Italy (Italia) 1,028
16 Zimbabwe 996
17 South Africa, Republic of 907
18 Australia 851
19 Spain (España) 722
20 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 606

21 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 503
22 Turkey (Türkiye) 500
23 Kenya 489
24 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 488
25 Romania (România) 460
26 Lithuania (Lietuva) 426
27 Netherlands (Nederland) 391
28 Russian Federation (Russia) 381
29 Latvia (Latvija) 373
30 Czech Republic (Česká Republika) 348

Total Foreign-born: 72,472
Total Population: 593,245
Source: Scotland Census, 2011

followed by...

Edinburgh City (Scotland), United Kingdom 2011

1 Poland (Polska) 11,651
2 India (Bhārat) 4,888
3 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 4,743
4 China, People's Republic of 4,118
5 United States of America 3,715
6 Germany (Deutschland) 3,526
7 Pakistan 2,472
8 Australia 2,086
9 France 2,039
10 Spain (España) 2,011

11 South Africa, Republic of 1,824
12 Canada 1,760
13 Italy (Italia) 1,716
14 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 1,622
15 Nigeria 1,186
16 Malaysia 1,025
17 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 992
18 Zimbabwe 987
19 New Zealand (Aotearoa) 924
20 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 780

21 Netherlands (Nederland) 731
22 Bangladesh 683
23 Turkey (Türkiye) 683
24 Iran, Islamic Republic of 534
25 Russian Federation (Russia) 525
26 Singapore 510
27 Lithuania (Lietuva) 506
28 Romania (România) 477
29 Kenya 463
30 Hungary (Magyarország) 441

Total Foreign-born: 75,445
Total Population: 476,626
Source: Scotland Census, 2011

The next four cities and I believe that one is a "county" is not as well known or shown here but here we go with...

Image Source: Tim Green@flickr.com

Bradford, United Kingdom 2011

1 Pakistan 40,316
2 India (Bhārat) 6,279
3 Poland (Polska) 5,848
4 Bangladesh 4,017
5 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 2,339
6 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 2,123
7 Latvia (Latvija) 1,526
8 Iraq 1,459
9 Germany (Deutschland) 1,402
10 Italy (Italia) 1,149

11 Zimbabwe 1,138
12 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 1,133
13 China, People's Republic of 1,005
14 Nigeria 988
15 Jamaica 956
16 Kenya 865
17 Iran, Islamic Republic of 731
18 Czech Republic (Česká Republika) 714
19 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 694
20 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 659

21 South Africa, Republic of 635
22 Lithuania (Lietuva) 562
23 Libyan Arab Jamahiriya (Libya) 522
24 Saudi Arabia 491
25 United States of America 474
26 France 355
27 Ukraine 342
28 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 310
29 Romania (România) 306
30 Malaysia 301

Total Foreign-born: 89,514
Total Population: 522,452

I believe that this next location is a county but it's also where Stonehenge is located...

Image Source: wikipedia.org

Wiltshire, United Kingdom 2011

1 Germany (Deutschland) 6,240
2 Poland (Polska) 3,546
3 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 2,118
4 South Africa, Republic of 1,744
5 India (Bhārat) 1,611
6 United States of America 1,264
7 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 935
8 Australia 926
9 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 791
10 Zimbabwe 735

11 Nepal 679
12 France 671
13 Singapore 635
14 Canada 620
15 Cyprus 592
16 Kenya 540
17 Italy (Italia) 516
18 Fiji Islands 513
19 New Zealand (Aotearoa) 489
20 China, People's Republic of 464

21 Malaysia 460
22 Jamaica 451
23 Malta 418
24 Netherlands (Nederland) 418
25 Ghana 414
26 Spain (España) 354
27 Bangladesh 351
28 Portugal 282
29 Turkey (Türkiye) 280
30 Thailand 274

Total Foreign-born: 36,809
Total Population: 470,981

I believe this to be a region or local government district of West Yorkshire and the city in the picture is Huddersfield...

Image Source: itv.com

Kirklees, United Kingdom 2011

1 Pakistan 15,918
2 India (Bhārat) 6,966
3 Poland (Polska) 3,118
4 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 2,137
5 Jamaica 1,190
6 Germany (Deutschland) 1,149
7 Iraq 822
8 Zimbabwe 751
9 China, People's Republic of 685
10 South Africa, Republic of 647

11 Libyan Arab Jamahiriya (Libya) 529
12 Iran, Islamic Republic of 516
13 Grenada (Camerhogne) 392
14 Italy (Italia) 390
15 Saudi Arabia 363
16 United States of America 361
17 Hungary (Magyarország) 358
18 Australia 330
19 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 327
20 Bangladesh 290

21 Nigeria 282
22 Kenya 280
23 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 276
24 France 255
25 Canada 249
26 Lithuania (Lietuva) 239
27 Malawi 238
28 Bosnia and Herzegovina 221
29 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 213
30 Cyprus 193

Total Foreign-born: 45,556
Total Population: 422,458

...and last but not least in our adventure to the UK is (also in West Yorkshire)...

Wakefield, United Kingdom 2011

1 Poland (Polska) 4,288
2 Pakistan 2,011
3 Germany (Deutschland) 1,047
4 India (Bhārat) 918
5 Ireland, Republic of (Éire) 732
6 Zimbabwe 627
7 Latvia (Latvija) 594
8 South Africa, Republic of 431
9 Lithuania (Lietuva) 379
10 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 300

11 Iraq 299
12 China, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) 237
13 China, People's Republic of 232
14 Nigeria 222
15 Australia 205
16 Iran, Islamic Republic of 199
17 Gambia, The 195
18 United States of America 191
19 Thailand 173
20 Czech Republic (Česká Republika) 164

21 Kenya 152
22 Hungary (Magyarország) 145
23 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 141
24 Italy (Italia) 129
25 Singapore 122
26 France 118
27 Netherlands (Nederland) 118
28 Spain (España) 113
29 Cyprus 101
30 Zambia 101

Total Foreign-born: 17,525
Total Population: 325,837

That's a wrap for the UK, for now...we will be traveling to France the next time around, so stay tuned for more as Norway and Italy are coming up too!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 1:24 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
I don't know about the average person, but I would not answer I "know" how to speak a language from a few sentences or words in terms of a "repeat a canned phrase" sense, if literally there is no exchange in said language in a naturalistic setting of even attempting to accommodate a "back and forth" conversation with another speaker responding for a short duration of time.
&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy
Also, I interpreted the Australian questionnaire the same way that Acajack had just mentioned -- that the Australian Census appears to assume that everyone at a very minimum speaks English at home.
You would be correct. It goes without saying that Australia is unlike Canada where there is a majority and minority official language and apart from government information/forms provided in LOTEs (Languages Other Than English), it is assumed everyone speaks or has a knowledge of English. Therefore, instead of trying to split hairs on the questionnaire differences, just look at it from that angle - and 'LOTE' should give it away. English, and then everything else.

For instance, I speak a little French and some high school German and Indonesian - I didn't put those three languages on my 'other spoken languages at home'. The people who do nominate a LOTE most likely do speak it at home (you can only take it on face value).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:29 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Without further ado we now head over to France!

First, here is a little history about France -- this from Wikipedia: "The first written records for the history of France appeared in the Iron Age. What is now France made up the bulk of the region known to the Romans as Gaul. Roman writers noted the presence of three main ethno-linguistic groups in the area: the Gauls, the Aquitani, and the Belgae. The Gauls, the largest and best attested group, were Celtic people speaking what is known as the Gaulish language.

Over the course of the 1st millennium BC the Greeks, Romans and Carthaginians established colonies on the Mediterranean coast and the offshore islands. The Roman Republic annexed southern Gaul as the province of Gallia Narbonensis in the late 2nd century BC, and Roman forces under Julius Caesar conquered the rest of Gaul in the Gallic Wars of 58–51 BC. Afterwards a Gallo-Roman culture emerged and Gaul was increasingly integrated into the Roman Empire.

In the later stages of the Roman Empire, Gaul was subject to barbarian raids and migration, most importantly by the Germanic Franks. The Frankish king Clovis I united most of Gaul under his rule in the late 5th century, setting the stage for Frankish dominance in the region for hundreds of years. Frankish power reached its fullest extent under Charlemagne. The medieval Kingdom of France emerged from the western part of Charlemagne's Carolingian Empire, known as West Francia, and achieved increasing prominence under the rule of the House of Capet, founded by Hugh Capet in 987.

A succession crisis following the death of the last direct Capetian monarch in 1328 led to the series of conflicts known as the Hundred Years' War between the House of Valois and the House of Plantagenet. The war formally began in 1337 following Philip VI's attempt to seize the Duchy of Aquitaine from its hereditary holder, Edward III of England, the Plantagenet claimant to the French throne. Despite early Plantagenet victories, including the capture and ransom of John II of France, fortunes turned in favor of the Valois later in the war. Among the notable figures of the war was Joan of Arc, a French peasant girl who led French forces against the English, establishing herself as a national heroine. The war ended with a Valois victory in 1453.

Victory in the Hundred Years' War had the effect of strengthening French nationalism and vastly increasing the power and reach of the French monarchy. During the period known as the Ancien Régime, France transformed into a centralized absolute monarchy. During the next centuries, France experienced the Renaissance and the Protestant Reformation. At the height of the French Wars of Religion, France became embroiled in another succession crisis, as the last Valois king, Henry III, fought against rival factions the House of Bourbon and the House of Guise. Henry, King of Navarre, scion of the Bourbon family, would be victorious in the conflict and establish the French Bourbon dynasty. A burgeoning worldwide colonial empire was established in the 16th century. French political power reached a zenith under the rule of Louis XIV, "The Sun King", builder of Versailles Palace.

In the late 18th century the monarchy and associated institutions were overthrown in the French Revolution. The country was governed for a period as a Republic, until the French Empire was declared by Napoleon Bonaparte. Following Napoleon's defeat in the Napoleonic Wars, France went through several further regime changes, being ruled as a monarchy, then briefly as a Second Republic, and then as a Second Empire, until a more lasting French Third Republic was established in 1870. "

and a little about the more modern day France -- this excerpt from bonjourlafrance.com "France is a global centre of art, science, and philosophy. It hosts Europe's fourth-largest number of cultural UNESCO World Heritage Sites and receives around 83 million foreign tourists annually, the most of any country in the world.

France is a developed country with the world’s sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP and ninth-largest by purchasing power parity. In terms of aggregate household wealth, it ranks fourth in the world. France performs well in international rankings of education, health care, life expectancy, and human development.

The French Republic is a transcontinental country comprising territory in western Europe and several overseas regions and territories. The European, or metropolitan, area of France extends from the Mediterranean Sea to the English Channel and the North Sea, and from the Rhine to the Atlantic Ocean.

Overseas France include French Guiana on the South American continent and several island territories in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans.

France spans 643,801 square kilometres (248,573 sq mi) and has a total population of 66.7 million. The capital in Paris, the country’s largest city and main cultural and commercial centre.

France remains a great power in the world, being a founding member of the United Nations, where it serves as one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, and a founding and leading member state of the European Union (EU). It is also a member of the Group of 7, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the World Trade Organization (WTO), and La Francophonie."

Image Sources: wikimedia.org

Top 40 Non-France countries or places of birth

France 2015

1 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 790,158
2 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 740,552
3 Portugal 621,328
4 Italy (Italia) 285,814
5 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 269,613
6 Turkey (Türkiye) 249,079
7 Spain (España) 248,268
8 United Kingdom 147,971
9 Germany (Deutschland) 117,464
10 Belgium, Kingdom of 115,503

11 Romania (România) 110,919
12 China, People's Republic of 102,280
13 Sénégal 96,444
14 Poland (Polska) 91,481
15 Côte d'Ivoire 83,038
16 Cameroon 79,338
17 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 77,670
18 Serbia (Srbija) 76,431
19 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 75,230
20 Mali 71,591

21 Russian Federation (Russia) 66,544
22 Congo, Republic of the 64,433
23 Switzerland (Swiss Confederation) 58,694
24 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 54,958
25 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 50,590
26 Haïti 48,727
27 Sri Lanka 48,354
28 India (Bhārat) 37,582
29 Brasil 36,859
30 United States of America 36,830

31 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 35,935
32 Netherlands (Nederland) 35,697
33 Guinea (Guinée) 33,736
34 Comoros (Komori) 33,172
35 Mauritius (Maurice) 32,395
36 Colombia 26,208
37 Pakistan 24,275
38 Angola 20,425
39 Japan 18,461
40 Mauritania, Islamic Republic of 16,478

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 5,982,300
Total Population: 64,300,821
Source: INSEE (France)

France by far has the largest population of people born in Algeria, Morocco, Portugal, Tunisia, neighboring Belgium & Spain, former French colonies and possessions of Africa like Bénin, Cameroon, Comoros, Congo, Madagascar, Côte d'Ivoire, Sénégal (among others) in the World outside of their region of origin to the largest population of people born in Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam in Europe.

That being said -- as just mentioned above, the largest city of France -- Paris, also holds many of the same titles (in regards to metro areas).

...speaking of which here is...."The City of Light (La Ville Lumière)."

*The following information is of the most current statistics followed by another that included French Overseas Departments.

Top 30 Non-France countries or places of birth

Paris (Île-de-France), France 2015

1 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 311,964
2 Portugal 249,776
3 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 244,153
4 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 117,760
5 Turkey (Türkiye) 70,222
6 China, People's Republic of 67,747
7 Mali 60,943
8 Italy (Italia) 57,700
9 Côte d'Ivoire 55,334
10 Sénégal 53,123

11 Romania (România) 49,470
12 Spain (España) 48,221
13 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 47,474
14 Cameroon 42,105
15 Sri Lanka 42,095
16 Poland (Polska) 39,285
17 Congo, Republic of the 36,701
18 Haïti 36,128
19 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 35,420
20 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 31,416

21 India (Bhārat) 26,650
22 Serbia (Srbija) 26,429
23 Germany (Deutschland) 22,063
24 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 20,500
25 Mauritius (Maurice) 19,789
26 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 19,596
27 Pakistan 18,843
28 United Kingdom 18,726
29 Russian Federation (Russia) 18,260
30 United States of America 17,722

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 2,321,343
Metropolitan Area Population: 12,532,901

Top 30 Non-France countries or places of birth *Includes overseas France in Top 30 but they're not included in Total Foreign-born.

Paris (Île-de-France), France 2012

1 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 289,826
2 Portugal 241,385
3 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 227,903
4 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 109,349
5 Guadeloupe (Overseas France) 80,402
6 Martinique (Overseas France) 76,586
7 Turkey (Türkiye) 69,338
8 China, People's Republic of 61,806
9 Mali 55,466
10 Italy (Italia) 55,057

11 Côte d'Ivoire 48,532
12 Sénégal 46,365
13 Spain (España) 46,359
14 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 42,872
15 Poland (Polska) 39,482
16 Romania (România) 38,865
17 Cameroon 38,093
18 Sri Lanka 36,918
19 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 36,084
20 Haïti 33,417

21 Congo, Republic of the 33,223
22 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 32,120
23 Réunion (Overseas France) 30,341
24 Serbia (Srbija) 27,317
25 India (Bhārat) 24,318
26 Germany (Deutschland) 22,880
27 Mauritius (Maurice) 19,903
28 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 19,616
29 United Kingdom 19,029
30 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 18,504

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 2,160,561
Metropolitan Area Population: 12,341,418

Southward we go to..

Image Source: subherwal@flickr.com

Lyon, France 2015

1 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 55,553
2 Portugal 23,388
3 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 21,886
4 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 18,947
5 Italy (Italia) 15,729
6 Turkey (Türkiye) 12,751
7 Spain (España) 10,147
8 Serbia (Srbija) 4,345
9 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 3,805
10 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 3,559

11 Cameroon 3,435
12 Romania (România) 3,135
13 Sénégal 3,046
14 China, People's Republic of 2,943
15 Germany (Deutschland) 2,576
16 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 2,513
17 Poland (Polska) 2,467
18 Russian Federation (Russia) 2,465
19 United Kingdom 2,211
20 Congo, Republic of the 2,121

21 Belgium, Kingdom of 2,081
22 Côte d'Ivoire 2,079
23 Comoros (Komori) 2,031
24 Angola 1,644
25 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 1,617
26 Brasil 1,542
27 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 1,540
28 Guinea (Guinée) 1,405
29 Colombia 1,280
30 United States of America 1,229

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 253,712
Urban Area Population: 2,291,763

...and down to the Mediterranean Sea...

Marseille, France 2015

1 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 56,755
2 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 17,146
3 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 16,147
4 Italy (Italia) 11,252
5 Comoros (Komori) 8,806
6 Spain (España) 7,162
7 Portugal 6,910
8 Turkey (Türkiye) 6,398
9 Romania (România) 3,716
10 Haïti 3,082

11 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 2,830
12 Sénégal 2,709
13 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 2,698
14 Belgium, Kingdom of 2,293
15 Germany (Deutschland) 2,285
16 Russian Federation (Russia) 2,170
17 China, People's Republic of 1,667
18 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 1,633
19 Poland (Polska) 1,564
20 United Kingdom 1,540

21 Serbia (Srbija) 1,093
22 Cameroon 1,062
23 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 997
24 United States of America 870
25 Brasil 859
26 Côte d'Ivoire 833
27 Mauritius (Maurice) 673
28 Guinea (Guinée) 616
29 Netherlands (Nederland) 596
30 Congo, Republic of the 548

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 191,119
Urban Area Population: 1,752,398

...then it's off to the West we go to...

Toulouse, France 2015

1 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 19,544
2 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 16,863
3 Spain (España) 11,709
4 Portugal 10,867
5 Italy (Italia) 6,593
6 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 4,855
7 United Kingdom 3,459
8 Germany (Deutschland) 3,179
9 Romania (România) 2,974
10 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 2,365

11 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 2,211
12 Turkey (Türkiye) 1,961
13 Côte d'Ivoire 1,772
14 China, People's Republic of 1,737
15 Belgium, Kingdom of 1,686
16 Sénégal 1,622
17 Cameroon 1,411
18 Russian Federation (Russia) 1,397
19 Brasil 1,202
20 Poland (Polska) 1,189

21 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 1,017
22 Colombia 993
23 United States of America 953
24 Congo, Republic of the 922
25 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 808
26 Guinea (Guinée) 716
27 Angola 705
28 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 672
29 Netherlands (Nederland) 610
30 Mauritius (Maurice) 574

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 128,080
Urban Area Population: 1,330,954

...just a slight turn up -- to the northwest to...

Bordeaux, France 2015

1 Portugal 14,493
2 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 13,158
3 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 8,548
4 Spain (España) 7,118
5 Turkey (Türkiye) 3,849
6 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 2,400
7 Italy (Italia) 2,058
8 Sénégal 1,907
9 Romania (România) 1,754
10 United Kingdom 1,607

11 Cameroon 1,559
12 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 1,477
13 China, People's Republic of 1,372
14 Germany (Deutschland) 1,249
15 Belgium, Kingdom of 1,195
16 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 1,184
17 Côte d'Ivoire 1,169
18 Russian Federation (Russia) 1,036
19 Congo, Republic of the 1,010
20 Poland (Polska) 777

21 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 722
22 Brasil 704
23 United States of America 560
24 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 512
25 Guinea (Guinée) 505
26 Colombia 482
27 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 448
28 Netherlands (Nederland) 397
29 Mauritius (Maurice) 365
30 Serbia (Srbija) 361

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 91,300
Urban Area Population: 1,215,769

and now we go to the far north near Belgium to...

Image Source: jimcdn.com/europeanbestdestinations.com

Lille (French part), France 2015

1 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 28,111
2 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 19,735
3 Portugal 7,329
4 Belgium, Kingdom of 6,513
5 Italy (Italia) 3,868
6 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 2,965
7 Turkey (Türkiye) 2,328
8 Spain (España) 2,192
9 Romania (România) 1,885
10 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 1,818

11 Poland (Polska) 1,719
12 Cameroon 1,579
13 China, People's Republic of 1,400
14 Guinea (Guinée) 1,271
15 Sénégal 1,228
16 Germany (Deutschland) 1,010
17 Congo, Republic of the 984
18 Côte d'Ivoire 805
19 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 762
20 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 757

21 United Kingdom 734
22 Russian Federation (Russia) 648
23 Brasil 573
24 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 566
25 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 563
26 Serbia (Srbija) 522
27 Netherlands (Nederland) 411
28 United States of America 333
29 India (Bhārat) 325
30 Mauritius (Maurice) 259

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 106,661
Urban Area Population: 1,184,708

...and last but not least we travel back to the Mediterranean Sea to...

Nice, France 2015

1 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 21,421
2 Italy (Italia) 18,713
3 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 13,105
4 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 10,755
5 Portugal 7,930
6 United Kingdom 4,737
7 Russian Federation (Russia) 3,803
8 Belgium, Kingdom of 3,612
9 Romania (România) 3,366
10 Spain (España) 3,335

11 Germany (Deutschland) 2,629
12 Poland (Polska) 1,995
13 Sénégal 1,568
14 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 1,252
15 Netherlands (Nederland) 1,203
16 United States of America 1,191
17 Comoros (Komori) 1,189
18 Turkey (Türkiye) 1,166
19 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 1,063
20 China, People's Republic of 1,009

21 Brasil 933
22 Switzerland (Swiss Confederation) 841
23 Serbia (Srbija) 839
24 Madagascar (Madagasikara) 793
25 Cambodia (Kampuchea) 653
26 Côte d'Ivoire 647
27 Cameroon 602
28 Canada 515
29 India (Bhārat) 491
30 Japan 407

Total Foreign-born (excludes Territories, Departments, etc.): 136,093
Urban Area Population: 1,005,891

...there is much more to come, so stay tuned! Norway, Italy & Jordan are among the others that are to follow.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:22 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Note those number are not comparable with the UK data.
UK data includes all the population born outside the UK but not the French figure.

The number for France is the immigrant population (as defined by the French statistical agency), not foreign born population.
While an immigrant is necessarily foreign born, a foreign born is not necessarily an immigrant.

There are 5,982,300 immigrants but almost 8 million foreign born in France.
That's 2 million more people.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:51 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^The figures I’ve used for France is of “immigrant” foreign born country of birth so it excludes those that are French Citizens that may have been born overseas, for example.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:11 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

...and now we travel to Viking country to Norway!

but first a brief history of this Nordic country by lifeinnorway.net:

"Although modern Norway has only existed for 200 years, the story of the Nordic lands is a long one. The land now known as Norway emerged from the last Ice Age thanks to the warming effect of the Gulf Stream. The glacial land became habitable from around 12,000 BC.

The long coastline and good conditions for sealing, fishing and hunting attracted people in numbers. Although it is believed that people arrived earlier, the oldest human skeleton found in Norway was carbon dated to 6,600 BC. This incredible find was found in the waters of the Sognefjord as recently as 1994.

As people in the north began to travel on basic wooden skis and use slate tools, the Oslofjord region became suitable for farming thanks to tools and techniques from farther south.

Sometime around 2,500 BC, farming spread quickly northwards across the country, and oats, barley, pigs, cattle, sheep and goats became commonplace. Fertile areas around the Oslofjord, Trondheimsfjord, Lake Mjøsa (near Lillehammer) and Jæren (near Stavanger) began to create wealth for these emerging farming communities.

Speakers of Uralic languages arrived in the north and mixed with the indigenous population, becoming the Sami people of today. From the first century AD, the expanding Roman Empire began to exert significant cultural influence. Norwegians created a runic alphabet and began trading furs and skins for luxury items from other lands.

Some of the most powerful farmers became chieftains and their power increased during the Migration Period between 400 and 550 as other Germanic tribes migrated northwards and local farmers wanted protection.
Viking Era

Perhaps the most famous period in Norwegian history, the Viking Age was a period of expansion not just for Norway, but the whole Nordic region. Far from just barbaric, axe-wielding invaders, the Vikings created complex social institutions, oversaw the coming of Christianity to Scandinavia and left a major impact on European history through trade, colonization and far-flung exploration.

The first record of the Vikings was the late 8th-cenutry invasion of Lindisfarne, an island off the northeast coast of England. Over a thousand Old Norse words influenced modern English along with more than 1,000 place names in northeast England and the Scottish islands.

Vikings were well trained with good weapons and chain-mail armor, and their belief that being killed in battle resulted in them going to Valhalla gave them a psychological advantage in battle for many years.

In search of a better life, Norwegians began leaving rural Norway for North America in 1825, with mass emigration occurring over the following 100 years.

By 1930, approximately 800,000 people had left Norway with the majority settling in the American Midwest, where Norwegian heritage and traditions remain strong to this day.

Improvements in agricultural technology and transport infrastructure, notably a railroad that connected Oslo with Trondheim for the first time, helped to grow the economy during the late 19th-century."

Top 50 Non-Norway countries or places of birth

Norway 2018

1 Poland (Polska) 98,576
2 Sweden 47,864
3 Lithuania (Lietuva) 38,423
4 Somalia 28,780
5 Germany (Deutschland) 27,826
6 Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 27,401
7 Denmark (Danmark) 24,590
8 Iraq 23,149
9 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 23,129
10 Eritrea (Ertra) 21,873

11 Thailand 21,089
12 Pakistan 20,567
13 United Kingdom 19,399
14 Russian Federation (Russia) 17,937
15 United States of America 17,927
16 Iran, Islamic Republic of 17,803
17 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 16,784
18 Romania (România) 14,387
19 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 14,283
20 Bosnia and Herzegovina 13,685

21 India (Bhārat) 13,233
22 China, People's Republic of 12,016
23 Turkey (Türkiye) 11,789
24 Latvia (Latvija) 10,185
25 Kosovo (Kosova) 10,176
26 Sri Lanka 9,422
27 Ethiopia 9,183
28 Netherlands (Nederland) 8,876
29 Iceland (Ísland) 7,876
30 Korea, Republic of (South) 7,645

31 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 7,066
32 Spain (España) 7,048
33 Finland (Suomi) 6,842
34 Chile 6,615
35 France 6,358
36 Serbia (Srbija) 6,037
37 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 6,003
38 Colombia 6,000
39 Brasil 5,761
40 Ukraine 5,287

41 Estonia (Eesti) 4,817
42 Italy (Italia) 4,767
43 Sudan 4,565
44 Croatia (Hrvatska) 4,496
45 Hungary (Magyarország) 4,219
46 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 3,814
47 Palestinian Territories (Gaza Strip and West Bank) 3,386
48 Portugal 3,328
49 Canada 3,222
50 Myanmar (Burma) 3,214

Total Foreign-born: 746,661
Total Population: 5,295,619
Source: Statistics Norway

Like many "Western" countries Norway has resettled many refugees and has a very diverse immigrant population ranging from Latin America like Brazil, Colombia & Chile to the Middle East/West Asia like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan & Iran to Asia like Thailand, Vietnam, Pakistan, Philippines to Africa like Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan & Ghana.

...and now we travel to the largest city in Norway...

Image Source: Fotophono Imaging@imaging.no

Top 50 Non-Norway countries or places of birth

Oslo-Akershus, Norway 2018

1 Poland (Polska) 29,431
2 Sweden 18,080
3 Pakistan 16,485
4 Somalia 11,733
5 Iran, Islamic Republic of 8,693
6 Iraq 8,555
7 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 8,430
8 Lithuania (Lietuva) 7,556
9 Denmark (Danmark) 6,595
10 India (Bhārat) 6,577

11 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 6,466
12 Germany (Deutschland) 6,237
13 Sri Lanka 6,070
14 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 5,627
15 Russian Federation (Russia) 5,536
16 Turkey (Türkiye) 5,020
17 United Kingdom 4,995
18 Eritrea (Ertra) 4,812
19 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 4,347
20 Romania (România) 4,323

21 Bosnia and Herzegovina 4,158
22 Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 4,146
23 Thailand 4,095
24 China, People's Republic of 3,774
25 Kosovo (Kosova) 3,382
26 United States of America 3,378
27 Ethiopia 3,297
28 Spain (España) 2,876
29 France 2,618
30 Serbia (Srbija) 2,478

31 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 2,389
32 Chile 2,360
33 Italy (Italia) 2,098
34 Finland (Suomi) 2,075
35 Latvia (Latvija) 2,051
36 Iceland (Ísland) 1,993
37 Macedonia (Makedonija), The former Yugoslav Republic of 1,809
38 Croatia (Hrvatska) 1,657
39 Netherlands (Nederland) 1,648
40 Brasil 1,575

41 Ukraine 1,542
42 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 1,454
43 Portugal 1,449
44 Hungary (Magyarország) 1,349
45 Estonia (Eesti) 1,264
46 Albania (Shqiperia) 1,130
47 Nepal 1,054
48 Ghana 1,012
49 Slovak Republic (Slovenská republika/Slovakia) 969
50 Sudan 904

Total Foreign-born: 268,763
Total Population: 1,287,495

...and last but not least in Norway is...

Top 30 Non-Norway countries or places of birth

Bergen, Norway 2018

1 Poland (Polska) 6,090
2 Lithuania (Lietuva) 2,058
3 Somalia 1,370
4 Iraq 1,307
5 Germany (Deutschland) 1,238
6 Romania (România) 1,204
7 Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 1,184
8 United Kingdom 1,105
9 Sweden 1,091
10 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 1,057

11 Eritrea (Ertra) 1,049
12 Thailand 995
13 Chile 907
14 India (Bhārat) 905
15 Latvia (Latvija) 870
16 Vietnam (Việt Nam), Socialist Republic of 822
17 Russian Federation (Russia) 767
18 Denmark (Danmark) 755
19 Sri Lanka 712
20 Bosnia and Herzegovina 694

21 Iran, Islamic Republic of 694
22 China, People's Republic of 671
23 United States of America 621
24 Ethiopia 602
25 Turkey (Türkiye) 527
26 Spain (España) 495
27 France 459
28 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 451
29 Palestinian Territories (Gaza Strip and West Bank) 441
30 Italy (Italia) 364

Total Foreign-born: 40,978
Municipality Population: 279,792

...and finally for tonight we will travel to the Middle East to the Kingdom of Jordan....

first a little about this country by King Hussein's Government of Jordan "Jordan is a land steeped in history. It has been home to some of mankind's earliest settlements and villages, and relics of many of the world's great civilizations can still be seen today. As the crossroads of the Middle East, the lands of Jordan and Palestine have served as a strategic nexus connecting Asia, Africa and Europe. Thus, since the dawn of civilization, Jordan's geography has given it an important role to play as a conduit for trade and communications, connecting east and west, north and south. Jordan continues to play this role today.

Because of its centralized location, the land of Jordan is a geographic prize which changed hands many times throughout antiquity. Parts of Jordan were included in the dominions of ancient Iraq, including the Sumerian, Akkadian, Babylonian, Assyrian and Mesopotamian Empires. From the west, Pharaonic Egypt extended its power and culture into Jordan, while the nomadic Nabateans built their empire in Jordan after migrating from the south of the Arabian peninsula. Finally, Jordan was incorporated into the classical civilizations of Greece, Rome and Persia, the relics of which are scattered across the Jordanian landscape. Since the mid-seventh century CE, the land of Jordan has remained almost continuously in the hands of various Arab and Islamic dynasties.

The second geographical factor which has helped shape the history of Jordan concerns climate. Only the northern highlands and the Jordan Valley have received enough rainfall to support large populations. Therefore, this area has always been more settled by farmers, villagers and townspeople. Most of the urban civilizations of Jordan have been based in these fertile lands. To the south and east, meanwhile, there is very little rainfall and no rivers for irrigation. These desert areas, which comprise the majority of Jordan, have rarely supported large settled populations. In some periods, there appears to have been no settled population at all. The lifestyle of the Bedouin inhabitants of these desert lands has remained similar in some respects to that of their Edomite or Nabatean predecessors. The contrast between the pastoral "desert" and agriculturally fertile lands is particularly pronounced in Jordan, and much of the area's history can be linked to population shifts between large urban centers and more dispersed, nomadic tribal groups.
"

Top 50 Non-Jordanian nationality

Jordan (Al Urdun) 2015

1 Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 1,265,514
2 Egypt, Arab Republic of 636,270
3 Palestinian Territories (Gaza Strip and West Bank) 634,182
4 Iraq 130,911
5 Yemen (Al Yaman) 31,163
6 Libyan Arab Jamahiriya (Libya) 22,700
7 Bangladesh 19,390
8 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 17,810
9 Saudi Arabia 17,339
10 Sudan 10,128

11 United States of America 9,264
12 India (Bhārat) 8,979
13 Sri Lanka 8,779
14 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 8,265
15 Indonesia 8,185
16 Pakistan 7,714
17 Kenya 6,156
18 United Kingdom 5,132
19 Canada 4,864
20 Ukraine 4,291

21 Oman (Uman) 4,178
22 Kuwait (Al Kuwayt) 3,928
23 Russian Federation (Russia) 3,865
24 Turkey (Türkiye) 3,787
25 China, People's Republic of 3,358
26 Ethiopia 3,226
27 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 3,118
28 France 2,546
29 Australia 2,325
30 Germany (Deutschland) 2,213

31 Malaysia 2,111
32 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 1,285
33 Spain (España) 1,274
34 Italy (Italia) 1,244
35 Sweden 1,238
36 Bahrain (Al Bahrayn) 1,224
37 Thailand 1,207
38 Korea, Republic of (South) 1,010
39 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 945
40 Nigeria 938

41 Netherlands (Nederland) 892
42 United Arab Emirates 887
43 Romania (România) 871
44 Myanmar (Burma) 706
45 Qatar 606
46 Brasil 560
47 Iran, Islamic Republic of 541
48 Norway (Norge) 526
49 Eritrea (Ertra) 486
50 Belgium, Kingdom of 469

Total non-Jordanian Nationality: 2,918,125
Total Population: 9,531,712
Source: Department of Statistics (Jordan), Census 2015

*Jordan has one of the largest Egyptian & Syrian populations in the World & may very well have the largest Palestinian population in the World outside of the Palestinian Territories of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Now, we visit the largest city in the Kingdom...

Top 50 Non-Jordanian nationality

Amman, Jordan 2015

1 Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 435,578
2 Egypt, Arab Republic of 390,631
3 Palestinian Territories (Gaza Strip and West Bank) 308,091
4 Iraq 121,893
5 Yemen (Al Yaman) 27,019
6 Libyan Arab Jamahiriya (Libya) 21,649
7 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 16,293
8 Bangladesh 13,393
9 Saudi Arabia 11,181
10 Sudan 8,572

11 United States of America 8,162
12 Sri Lanka 7,402
13 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 7,036
14 Indonesia 6,844
15 India (Bhārat) 6,488
16 Kenya 5,144
17 United Kingdom 4,884
18 Canada 4,611
19 Turkey (Türkiye) 3,066
20 Ukraine 3,052

21 Kuwait (Al Kuwayt) 2,866
22 Ethiopia 2,802
23 Russian Federation (Russia) 2,720
24 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 2,521
25 France 2,357
26 Pakistan 2,231
27 Australia 2,101
28 China, People's Republic of 1,740
29 Germany (Deutschland) 1,716
30 Spain (España) 1,081

31 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 1,067
32 Italy (Italia) 1,014
33 Sweden 994
34 Oman (Uman) 930
35 Korea, Republic of (South) 857
36 Netherlands (Nederland) 765
37 Nigeria 709
38 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 695
39 Romania (România) 634
40 United Arab Emirates 621

41 Iran, Islamic Republic of 541
42 Qatar 520
43 Bahrain (Al Bahrayn) 518
44 Brasil 515
45 New Zealand (Aotearoa) 440
46 Norway (Norge) 440
47 Thailand 426
48 Denmark (Danmark) 421
49 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 414
50 Belgium, Kingdom of 407

Total non-Jordanian Nationality: 1,435,073
Total Population: 3,895,991

...and last but not least to a city i'm not very familiar with & the best picture that I could find...

Top 20 Non-Jordanian nationality

Zarqa, Jordan 2015

1 Palestinian Territories (Gaza Strip and West Bank) 189,788
2 Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 175,280
3 Egypt, Arab Republic of 60,225
4 Iraq 3,939
5 Bangladesh 2,852
6 Saudi Arabia 1,371
7 India (Bhārat) 1,014
8 Pakistan 794
9 Yemen (Al Yaman) 665
10 Sudan 591

11 Russian Federation (Russia) 522
12 Lebanese Republic (Lebanon) 461
13 Sri Lanka 405
14 Ukraine 284
15 Indonesia 278
16 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 255
17 Turkey (Türkiye) 196
18 United States of America 196
19 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 168
20 Germany (Deutschland) 128

Total non-Jordanian Nationality: 430,876
Total Population: 1,315,193

Hope you enjoy this little journey...as always, stay tuned for more! Italy will be our next stop & at least 9 of its largest cities and metro areas!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:20 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

...and now we travel to another former Empire and one of the most influential countries of its time from the spread of Christianity to the Latin language which has evolved into modern day French, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan & Romansh to Romanian/Moldovan in Eastern Europe.

..that country is Italy!

First, a Brief History of Italy by lifeinitaly.com

"By 500 BC, a number of peoples of different ethnicity and origin shared Italy. Small Greek colonies dotted the southern coast and the island of Sicily. Gauls, ancestors of today's modern French, roamed the mountainous north. While the Etruscans, a group originally hailing from somewhere in western Turkey, settled in central Italy, establishing a number of city-states, including what is now modern-day Bologna. Little is known about the Etruscans except that they thrived for a time, creating a civilization that would pass down a fondness for bold architecture (stone arches, paved streets, aqueducts, sewers) to its successor, Rome.

According to legend, Rome was founded on April 21, 753 BC by Romulus and Remus, twin brothers who claimed to be sons of the war god Mars and to have been raised as infants by a she-wolf. Romulus saw himself as a descendant of the defeated army of Troy, and wanted Rome to inherit the mantle of that ancient city, if not surpass it. When Remus laughed at the notion, Romulus killed his brother and declared himself the first king of Rome.

Rome went through seven kings until 509 BC when the last king was overthrown and the Roman Republic was formed. Rome then came to be ruled by two elected officials (known as consuls), a Senate made up of wealthy aristocrats (known as patricians), and a lower assembly that represented the common people (plebeians) and had limited power. This format of government worked well at first, but as Rome expanded beyond a mere city-state to take over territory not just in Italy, but overseas as well, the system of government came under severe strain.

By the First Century BC, Rome was in crisis. Spartacus, a slave, led the common people in a revolt against the rule of the aristocratic patricians. Rome was able to put down the rebellion, but at great cost, as the Republic dissolved into a series of military dictatorships that ended with the assassination of Julius Caesar.

In 29 BC, after a long power struggle, Julius Caesar's nephew, Octavius, seized power and declared himself Emperor Augustus. The Roman Empire was born. For the next two hundred years, Rome thrived, ruling over a vast territory stretching from Britain and the Atlantic coast of Europe in the north and west to North Africa and the Middle East in the south and east.

This Pax Romana, a time of peace, ended in 180 AD with the death of Marcus Aurelius. A combination of economic problems, barbarian invasions, domestic instability, and territorial rebellions, combined with a lack of strong leadership, resulted in the slow and gradual decline of Rome. In 380 AD, after three hundred years of persecution, Christianity became the one and only official religion. By the end of the Fourth Century AD, the Roman Empire split into two. The East, based out of the newly-built capital of Constantinople, in what is now Turkey, thrived, eventually becoming the long-lasting Byzantine Empire. Rome, capital of the West, continued to decline.

After the Second World War, Italy abolished the monarchy and declared itself a republic. With the strong support of the United States, Italy rebuilt its economy through loans from the Marshall Plan, joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, and became a strong supporter of what is now the European Union. Today, Italy is one of the most prosperous and democratic nations in Europe."

Top 50 Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship

Italy (Italia) 2017

1 Romania (România) 1,190,091
2 Albania (Shqiperia) 440,465
3 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 416,531
4 China, People's Republic of 290,681
5 Ukraine 237,047
6 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 167,859
7 India (Bhārat) 151,791
8 Bangladesh 131,967
9 Moldova, Republic of 131,814
10 Egypt, Arab Republic of 119,513

11 Pakistan 114,198
12 Sri Lanka 107,967
13 Nigeria 106,069
14 Sénégal 105,937
15 Perú 97,379
16 Poland (Polska) 95,727
17 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 93,795
18 Ecuador 80,377
19 Macedonia (Makedonija), The former Yugoslav Republic of 65,347
20 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 59,254

21 Ghana 49,940
22 Brasil 48,022
23 Kosovo (Kosova) 40,371
24 Serbia (Srbija) 39,690
25 Russian Federation (Russia) 37,384
26 Germany (Deutschland) 36,806
27 Côte d'Ivoire 30,271
28 France 29,991
29 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 28,451
30 United Kingdom 28,168

31 Bosnia and Herzegovina 25,034
32 Spain (España) 24,870
33 Cuba 21,418
34 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 19,823
35 Gambia, The 19,567
36 Turkey (Türkiye) 19,509
37 Mali 19,134
38 Colombia 17,956
39 Croatia (Hrvatska) 17,573
40 Georgia (Sak'art'velo) 15,203

41 United States of America 15,004
42 El Salvador 14,626
43 Cameroon 14,529
44 Burkina Faso 14,435
45 Bolivia, Plurinational State of 13,955
46 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 11,738
47 Iran, Islamic Republic of 11,565
48 Guinea (Guinée) 11,240
49 Eritrea (Ertra) 9,343
50 Somalia 9,102

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 5,144,440
Total Population: 60,483,973
Source: Immigrants.Stat (I.Stat), Italy

*Italy has the largest population of immigrants from the Philippines, El Salvador, Egypt & The Gambia in Europe. The largest population of immigrants from Romania (outside of Romania). The 2nd largest population of immigrants from Peru, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Bolivia, Côte d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Albania & Pakistan, etc. in Europe. Italy may very well have the largest population of immigrants from China and Senegal in Europe too although, i'll admit that it's kind of a toss-up between the UK in the case of China & France in regards to Senegal. Irregardless, Italy now has one of the most diverse immigrant populations in the World & certainly in Europe.

...and now we dive into the largest cities in Italy starting with...

Rome (Roma), Italy 2017

1 Romania (România) 183,908
2 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 44,097
3 Bangladesh 34,491
4 China, People's Republic of 22,541
5 Ukraine 19,929
6 Poland (Polska) 18,473
7 India (Bhārat) 16,761
8 Albania (Shqiperia) 16,204
9 Perú 15,304
10 Egypt, Arab Republic of 14,852

11 Moldova, Republic of 12,574
12 Sri Lanka 11,084
13 Ecuador 8,990
14 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 8,896
15 Nigeria 6,569
16 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 6,433
17 Spain (España) 5,100
18 Brasil 5,008
19 France 4,761
20 Pakistan 4,352

21 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 4,294
22 Macedonia (Makedonija), The former Yugoslav Republic of 3,704
23 United Kingdom 3,619
24 Colombia 3,212
25 Germany (Deutschland) 3,127
26 Eritrea (Ertra) 3,104
27 Sénégal 3,028
28 Russian Federation (Russia) 2,994
29 Bosnia and Herzegovina 2,728
30 Ethiopia 2,691

31 United States of America 2,642
32 Cuba 2,335
33 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 2,294
34 Iran, Islamic Republic of 2,273
35 Mali 2,152
36 Cabo Verde 1,605
37 Kosovo (Kosova) 1,590
38 Somalia 1,549
39 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 1,514
40 Côte d'Ivoire 1,437

41 Georgia (Sak'art'velo) 1,353
42 Turkey (Türkiye) 1,324
43 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 1,283
44 México (Estados Unidos Mexicanos) 1,256
45 Japan 1,233
46 Portugal 1,198
47 Argentine Republic (Argentina) 1,157
48 Gambia, The 1,153
49 Croatia (Hrvatska) 1,122
50 Bolivia, Plurinational State of 1,091

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 556,794
Total Population: 4,355,725

...followed by one of the fashion capitals of the world...

Milan (Milano), Italy 2017

1 Egypt, Arab Republic of 56,005
2 Romania (România) 49,867
3 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 48,889
4 China, People's Republic of 38,702
5 Perú 30,921
6 Ecuador 24,392
7 Albania (Shqiperia) 22,157
8 Sri Lanka 21,607
9 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 19,079
10 Ukraine 19,023

11 Bangladesh 10,137
12 El Salvador 8,296
13 Pakistan 7,867
14 Moldova, Republic of 6,971
15 Sénégal 6,432
16 Brasil 5,741
17 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 5,193
18 France 4,274
19 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 3,574
20 Russian Federation (Russia) 3,343

21 Spain (España) 3,205
22 Bolivia, Plurinational State of 3,189
23 India (Bhārat) 2,909
24 Turkey (Türkiye) 2,664
25 Germany (Deutschland) 2,352
26 United Kingdom 2,333
27 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 2,272
28 Nigeria 2,222
29 Poland (Polska) 2,197
30 Japan 2,013

31 Iran, Islamic Republic of 1,907
32 Colombia 1,778
33 Eritrea (Ertra) 1,724
34 Cuba 1,533
35 Côte d'Ivoire 1,397
36 Korea, Republic of (South) 1,352
37 United States of America 1,338
38 Mauritius (Maurice) 1,298
39 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 1,044
40 Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 1,013

41 Serbia (Srbija) 991
42 Georgia (Sak'art'velo) 847
43 Cameroon 843
44 Argentine Republic (Argentina) 840
45 Kosovo (Kosova) 835
46 Gambia, The 782
47 Croatia (Hrvatska) 773
48 Ethiopia 745
49 Switzerland (Swiss Confederation) 739
50 Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of 728

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 459,109
Total Population: 3,234,658

...off we go to the western coast of southern Italy to..

Naples (Napoli), Italy 2017

1 Ukraine 23,327
2 Sri Lanka 16,707
3 China, People's Republic of 11,167
4 Romania (România) 11,049
5 Bangladesh 9,576
6 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 5,821
7 Pakistan 5,085
8 Poland (Polska) 4,609
9 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 3,451
10 Nigeria 2,993

11 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 2,413
12 India (Bhārat) 2,375
13 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 2,132
14 Ghana 2,034
15 Russian Federation (Russia) 1,999
16 Albania (Shqiperia) 1,934
17 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 1,864
18 Sénégal 1,576
19 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 1,537
20 Burkina Faso 1,439

21 Brasil 1,236
22 Cabo Verde 985
23 Perú 881
24 Côte d'Ivoire 857
25 Serbia (Srbija) 856
26 Moldova, Republic of 828
27 Bosnia and Herzegovina 704
28 Mali 695
29 Cuba 673
30 Gambia, The 615

31 Germany (Deutschland) 533
32 Belarus 526
33 Georgia (Sak'art'velo) 503
34 United Kingdom 469
35 Guinea (Guinée) 456
36 Colombia 437
37 United States of America 392
38 Indonesia 388
39 France 373
40 Spain (España) 371

41 Kyrgyz Republic (Kyrgyzstan) 253
42 Ecuador 247
43 Egypt, Arab Republic of 246
44 El Salvador 233
45 Somalia 217
46 Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of 205
47 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 173
48 Bénin 171
49 Togolese Republic (Togo) 171
50 Thailand 157

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 131,757
Total Population: 3,101,002

..up to the north we go to...

Turin (Torino), Italy 2017

1 Romania (România) 100,279
2 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 24,398
3 China, People's Republic of 10,566
4 Albania (Shqiperia) 9,896
5 Perú 9,057
6 Nigeria 6,533
7 Moldova, Republic of 6,261
8 Egypt, Arab Republic of 5,691
9 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 4,161
10 Brasil 2,741

11 Sénégal 2,539
12 Bangladesh 1,883
13 Ukraine 1,802
14 France 1,693
15 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 1,677
16 Ecuador 1,559
17 Pakistan 1,552
18 Spain (España) 1,277
19 Poland (Polska) 1,259
20 Côte d'Ivoire 1,138

21 India (Bhārat) 1,137
22 Turkey (Türkiye) 1,077
23 Iran, Islamic Republic of 1,039
24 Russian Federation (Russia) 1,032
25 Cameroon 927
26 Cuba 927
27 United Kingdom 888
28 Somalia 865
29 Bosnia and Herzegovina 862
30 Ghana 812

31 Germany (Deutschland) 785
32 Mali 728
33 Colombia 650
34 Gambia, The 566
35 Croatia (Hrvatska) 490
36 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 488
37 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 472
38 Bolivia, Plurinational State of 464
39 United States of America 437
40 Serbia (Srbija) 376

41 Guinea (Guinée) 344
42 Macedonia (Makedonija), The former Yugoslav Republic of 313
43 Argentine Republic (Argentina) 310
44 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 308
45 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 296
46 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 277
47 Japan 269
48 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 245
49 Sri Lanka 245
50 Ethiopia 242

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 220,403
Total Population: 2,269,120

...and now we travel to the Island of Sicily to...

Palermo (Palermu), Italy 2017

1 Romania (România) 7,213
2 Bangladesh 5,455
3 Sri Lanka 3,635
4 Ghana 2,888
5 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 2,265
6 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 1,805
7 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 1,658
8 China, People's Republic of 1,532
9 Mauritius (Maurice) 963
10 Nigeria 774

11 Côte d'Ivoire 703
12 Albania (Shqiperia) 602
13 Poland (Polska) 594
14 Gambia, The 574
15 Ukraine 376
16 Sénégal 351
17 India (Bhārat) 328
18 Mali 290
19 Germany (Deutschland) 276
20 Ecuador 274

21 Brasil 213
22 France 197
23 United Kingdom 189
24 Cabo Verde 184
25 Russian Federation (Russia) 179
26 United States of America 143
27 Spain (España) 135
28 Serbia (Srbija) 132
29 Perú 112
30 Egypt, Arab Republic of 106

31 Guinea (Guinée) 105
32 Pakistan 101
33 Colombia 90
34 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 86
35 Cuba 80
36 Georgia (Sak'art'velo) 75
37 Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of 73
38 Ethiopia 62
39 México (Estados Unidos Mexicanos) 50
40 Hungary (Magyarország) 48

41 Liberia 47
42 Argentine Republic (Argentina) 46
43 Netherlands (Nederland) 46
44 Belgium, Kingdom of 45
45 Belarus 44
46 Togolese Republic (Togo) 43
47 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 42
48 Somalia 42
49 Tanzania, United Republic of 42
50 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 39

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 36,381
Total Population: 1,260,193

Last edited by Urbanguy; Oct 3, 2018 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:28 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

...now we travel to the former centre of medieval European trade and finance and one of the wealthiest cities of that era. It's also considered to be the birthplace of the Renaissance...and that city is...

Florence (Firenze), Italy 2017

1 China, People's Republic of 21,863
2 Romania (România) 21,356
3 Albania (Shqiperia) 18,001
4 Perú 8,048
5 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 6,979
6 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 6,298
7 Sri Lanka 3,538
8 Sénégal 2,783
9 Ukraine 2,494
10 Poland (Polska) 2,101

11 Kosovo (Kosova) 2,055
12 Bangladesh 2,019
13 India (Bhārat) 1,901
14 Nigeria 1,846
15 Georgia (Sak'art'velo) 1,668
16 Egypt, Arab Republic of 1,592
17 Brasil 1,411
18 Germany (Deutschland) 1,217
19 France 1,163
20 United States of America 1,119

21 Serbia (Srbija) 1,081
22 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 997
23 Moldova, Republic of 995
24 United Kingdom 995
25 Pakistan 980
26 Japan 950
27 Russian Federation (Russia) 884
28 Spain (España) 786
29 Macedonia (Makedonija), The former Yugoslav Republic of 745
30 Iran, Islamic Republic of 737

31 Cuba 602
32 Somalia 567
33 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 500
34 Côte d'Ivoire 463
35 Ecuador 454
36 Cameroon 447
37 Colombia 426
38 Gambia, The 406
39 Netherlands (Nederland) 362
40 Mali 335

41 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 310
42 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 302
43 Switzerland (Swiss Confederation) 295
44 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 292
45 Ghana 255
46 Honduras 241
47 Sweden 223
48 Hungary (Magyarország) 210
49 Korea, Republic of (South) 207
50 Guinea (Guinée) 184

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 131,322
Total Population: 1,013,260

...now we head to northern Italy to...

Bologna, Italy 2017

1 Romania (România) 25,771
2 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 12,961
3 Albania (Shqiperia) 7,824
4 Pakistan 7,715
5 Ukraine 6,783
6 Moldova, Republic of 6,711
7 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 6,162
8 China, People's Republic of 6,067
9 Bangladesh 5,523
10 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 3,241

11 Poland (Polska) 2,487
12 Sri Lanka 1,926
13 Nigeria 1,790
14 Perú 1,522
15 India (Bhārat) 1,385
16 Serbia (Srbija) 1,186
17 Egypt, Arab Republic of 1,023
18 Sénégal 1,001
19 Cameroon 985
20 Russian Federation (Russia) 783

21 Iran, Islamic Republic of 764
22 Brasil 691
23 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 655
24 Cuba 574
25 France 566
26 Spain (España) 553
27 Ghana 541
28 Germany (Deutschland) 531
29 Eritrea (Ertra) 509
30 United Kingdom 506

31 Turkey (Türkiye) 458
32 Côte d'Ivoire 447
33 Macedonia (Makedonija), The former Yugoslav Republic of 431
34 Kosovo (Kosova) 419
35 Ecuador 414
36 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 352
37 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 330
38 United States of America 313
39 Georgia (Sak'art'velo) 306
40 Mali 259

41 Belarus 235
42 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 234
43 Gambia, The 234
44 Croatia (Hrvatska) 231
45 Bosnia and Herzegovina 215
46 Ethiopia 211
47 Colombia 198
48 Japan 195
49 Cabo Verde 182
50 Argentine Republic (Argentina) 166

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 118,792
Total Population: 1,011,291

...and last but not least to finish off our journey to Italy is...

Genoa (Genova), Italy 2017

1 Ecuador 15,613
2 Albania (Shqiperia) 9,207
3 Romania (România) 8,508
4 Morocco (Al Maghrib) 5,902
5 China, People's Republic of 3,055
6 Ukraine 2,937
7 Perú 2,660
8 Sénégal 2,174
9 Nigeria 1,887
10 Bangladesh 1,671

11 Sri Lanka 1,566
12 India (Bhārat) 1,100
13 Tunisian Republic (Tunisia) 1,038
14 Philippines (Pilipinas), Republic of the 934
15 Moldova, Republic of 831
16 Dominican Republic (República Dominicana) 816
17 Russian Federation (Russia) 759
18 Poland (Polska) 736
19 Egypt, Arab Republic of 619
20 Pakistan 611

21 Spain (España) 556
22 Brasil 503
23 Bulgaria (Balgariya) 499
24 Colombia 465
25 France 432
26 Germany (Deutschland) 391
27 United Kingdom 389
28 Chile 335
29 Bolivia, Plurinational State of 283
30 Gambia, The 266

31 Mali 263
32 Cuba 262
33 Iran, Islamic Republic of 252
34 Cameroon 233
35 United States of America 219
36 Ghana 212
37 Serbia (Srbija) 202
38 Algeria (Al Jaza'ir) 192
39 Côte d'Ivoire 176
40 Cabo Verde 170

41 Bosnia and Herzegovina 151
42 Guinea (Guinée) 149
43 Kosovo (Kosova) 147
44 San Marino, Most Serene Republic of 147
45 Switzerland (Swiss Confederation) 141
46 Greece (Hellenic Republic) 138
47 Portugal 135
48 El Salvador 134
49 Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of 133
50 Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of 132

Resident foreigners by Country of citizenship: 73,233
Total Population: 844,957

This will conclude our trip to Italy tonight. Stay tuned for more -- New Zealand and a fairly long stay in Germany (because of its many cities) are among the places that are coming up.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:22 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Forgot to add this part for Italy...

Top 50 Country of previous residence/citizenship

Italy 2016
1 Romania 42,248 14.04%
2 Brazil 15,103 5.02%
3 Nigeria 15,006 4.99%
4 Morocco 14,791 4.92%
5 Pakistan 14,722 4.89%
6 China 13,110 4.36%
7 Albania 12,979 4.31%
8 Bangladesh 10,769 3.58%
9 India 10,063 3.35%
10 Ukraine 8,797 2.92%

11 Senegal 8,579 2.85%
12 Egypt 6,895 2.29%
13 Gambia 6,599 2.19%
14 Germany 6,348 2.11%
15 Moldova, Republic of 5,565 1.85%
16 Mali 5,202 1.73%
17 United Kingdom 5,127 1.70%
18 Ghana 4,123 1.37%
19 France 4,016 1.34%
20 Sri Lanka 4,004 1.33%

21 Tunisia 3,919 1.30%
22 Switzerland 3,867 1.29%
23 Côte D'Ivoire 3,564 1.18%
24 United States 3,488 1.16%
25 Spain 3,411 1.13%
26 Philippines 3,229 1.07%
27 Russian Federation 3,204 1.07%
28 Afghanistan 3,156 1.05%
29 Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of 2,817 0.94%
30 Bulgaria 2,766 0.92%

31 Poland 2,547 0.85%
32 Guinea 2,313 0.77%
33 Kosovo 2,112 0.70%
34 Peru 1,939 0.64%
35 Argentina 1,900 0.63%
36 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 1,824 0.61%
37 Cuba 1,813 0.60%
38 Dominican Republic 1,731 0.58%
39 Cameroon 1,276 0.42%
40 Somalia 1,205 0.40%

41 Belgium 1,191 0.40%
42 Colombia 1,078 0.36%
43 Iran, Islamic Republic of 1,056 0.35%
44 Turkey 994 0.33%
45 Netherlands 946 0.31%
46 Ecuador 921 0.31%
47 Australia 836 0.28%
48 Serbia 824 0.27%
49 Burkina Faso 802 0.27%
50 El Salvador 782 0.26%
Country of previous residence/citizenship: 300,823

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:43 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Here are some figures for France!

Top 40 immigrant arrivals in France by geographic origin

France 2016
1 Morocco 21,035 8.10%
2 Algeria 18,126 6.98%
3 Italy 11,657 4.49%
4 Portugal 11,284 4.34%
5 United Kingdom 11,064 4.26%
6 Spain 9,430 3.63%
7 Tunisia 8,670 3.34%
8 Romania 8,193 3.15%
9 China, People's Republic of 8,069 3.11%
10 Haiti 6,753 2.60%

11 Belgium 6,677 2.57%
12 Germany 6,235 2.40%
13 Brazil 5,183 1.99%
14 Côte d'Ivoire 4,865 1.87%
15 United States of America 4,794 1.85%
16 Syria 4,358 1.68%
17 Switzerland 4,126 1.59%
18 Senegal 4,047 1.56%
19 Sudan 3,887 1.50%
20 Afghanistan 3,545 1.36%

21 Albania 3,431 1.32%
22 Russia 3,058 1.18%
23 Cameroon 2,984 1.15%
24 India 2,973 1.14%
25 Turkey 2,865 1.10%
26 Guinea 2,542 0.98%
27 Mali 2,472 0.95%
28 Congo (Zaire), Democratic Republic of the 2,449 0.94%
29 Poland 2,417 0.93%
30 Iraq 2,282 0.88%

31 Congo, Republic of 2,280 0.88%
32 Colombia 2,229 0.86%
33 Japan 2,018 0.78%
34 Viet Nam 1,801 0.69%
35 Korea, Republic of (South) 1,687 0.65%
36 Mexico 1,654 0.64%
37 Lebanon 1,607 0.62%
38 Canada 1,411 0.54%
39 Pakistan 1,146 0.44%
40 Peru 997 0.38%
Total Immigrant arrivals in France by geographic origin: 259,826

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions