HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:56 AM

Grand Rapids

It's a pretty big city (1 million metro) that's barely on the radar. Historically very Dutch American, never a center of heavy industry, now pretty "hipster" apparently for some reason. I'd like to know more about it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:33 AM
Posh

You forgot the exclamation point.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:59 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ but if he put an exclamation point in the title, the he would be fairly accused of hyping the shit out of grand rapids, and we most certainly won't stand for that!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:16 AM

Does it deserve to mentioned in the same breath as...JACKSONVILLE?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:35 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
It's...barely on the radar...
For good reason(s).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:59 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
It's a pretty big city (1 million metro) that's barely on the radar. Historically very Dutch American, never a center of heavy industry, now pretty "hipster" apparently for some reason. I'd like to know more about it.
thats a good question, it seems as if once you get away from the major transportation corridors in the southern part of the state, michigan becomes a world upon itself in a way. grand rapids is sort of in the rainshadow of chicago and detroit i guess, too.

in any case, seems like it has good bones, proper neighborhood commercial districts, lots of healthy neighborhoods. i’ll be interested to hear some coherent contribution from those that are more familiar with it. i actually almost took a brewery focused roadtrip there one summer with some friends (as i have for detroit and other parts of michigan).

Last edited by Centropolis; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:10 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:03 PM

I've not been to Grand Rapids, but I've heard they have a pretty cool and well known art festival all throughout their downtown each year. A friend of mine flew out from LA to participate in some fashion, and he said he thought the city was pretty cool. They also have Founders Brewery there, which has a pretty great reputation among beer heads. Other than that, I really don't know much about the place. They have a decent skyline for the population, and based on the pictures I've seen, it looks like it has a pretty nice downtown and some cool architecture. I'd be curious to check it out one day.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Founders produces some outstanding beer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 7:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Founders produces some outstanding beer.
not just delicious, but also very reasonably priced for craft beer.

i'm a big fan of their 15-packs of 12 oz. cans for 17 dollars.

just over a buck a beer, that's a nice price for craft beer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:19 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

In some ways, it reminded me of a smaller Portland, OR with a Milwaukee mix. I like Grand Rapids a lot and it's location near those West Michigan beach towns can't be beat. Underrated? Sure, but most Midwest cities are underrated anyway.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
In some ways, it reminded me of a smaller Portland, OR with a Milwaukee mix. I like Grand Rapids a lot and it's location near those West Michigan beach towns can't be beat. Underrated? Sure, but most Midwest cities are underrated anyway.
funny, i was kind of thinking that too. it's something about the preponderance of small neighborhood commercial strips, perhaps. lots of healthy trees, maybe. and then that "almost coastal" thing going on...hell if the west coast of michigan DOESNT feel properly coastal.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

in the mental map in my mind, grand rapids is pushed further north into michigan that it really is. it's at a pretty similar latitude to milwaukee's, but my brain thinks it's further north, like up at green bay's latitude or something.

it's probably because it's on the other side of the lake from chicago and feels "far away", whereas milwaukee is just "right up the road" and feels "close by".

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
in the mental map in my mind, grand rapids is pushed further north into michigan that it really is. it's at a pretty similar latitude as milwaukee, but my brain thinks it's further north, like at green bay's latitude or something.

it's probably because it's on the other side of the lake from chicago and feels "far away" whereas milwaukee is just "right up the road" and feels "close by".
i know, right?...was dragging the curser across the lake to wisconsin just the other day sort of in disbelief.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:14 PM

also you hit big forests sooner driving up that way to traverse city than meandering along the lake north of milwaukee. i guess that makes it feel more northerly, sooner.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ very true.

"developed" michigan really does all sit in the lower 3rd of the LP for the most part. (i know there are a few exceptions, but talking very generally)

if you draw a line from muskegon to flint to port huron, i'd be curious to know what percentage of michigan's population lives south of that line.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
^ very true.

"developed" michigan really does all sit in the lower 3rd of the LP for the most part. (i know there are a few exceptions like, but talking very generally)

if you draw a line from muskegon to flint to port huron, i'd be curious to know what percentage of michigan's population lives south of that line.
i'd bet it's approximately 90%.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
it's probably because it's on the other side of the lake from chicago and feels "far away", whereas milwaukee is just "right up the road" and feels "close by".

So some of my dad's family settled in West Michigan so I'd spend a lot of the summer there when I was little. That's obviously the biggest factor that my mental impression is the complete opposite, but the other is that as a southsider, anything north of like Peterson was a different world. I lived in Milwaukee for a winter and it still feels, mentally, like it might as well be the Twin Cities.* Meanwhile, Holland, South Haven, Saugatuck, Benton Harbor, etc...that's the backyard.

Ironically, I only went to Grand Rapids a few times in my life, and none since maybe 1990. It seems kinda weird to see this topic, know the general area so well, remember the fucking TV channels from Grand Rapids that I'd watch as a kid...but not know anything about it from personal experience .

*Weirdly, Madison, though, feels like home. Madison and Champaign occupy the same place in my mind.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
So some of my dad's family settled in West Michigan so I'd spend a lot of the summer there when I was little. That's obviously the biggest factor that my mental impression is the complete opposite, but the other is that as a southsider, anything north of like Peterson was a different world. I lived in Milwaukee for a winter and it still feels, mentally, like it might as well be the Twin Cities.* Meanwhile, Holland, South Haven, Saugatuck, Benton Harbor, etc...that's the backyard.

Ironically, I only went to Grand Rapids a few times in my life, and none since maybe 1990. It seems kinda weird to see this topic, know the general area so well, remember the fucking TV channels from Grand Rapids that I'd watch as a kid...but not know anything about it from personal experience .

*Weirdly, Madison, though, feels like home. Madison and Champaign occupy the same place in my mind.
southsider, huh? used to hang out at jimbos and get my face pelted. schallers pump, beverly parade, love the southside. always gravitate there.

this will cause an upsetting but the southside of chicago is the closet analog to st. louis. even got the right kind of pie there down on pulaski.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:01 PM

even have the same incoherent drunks like myself. i just sit there and nod at the bar.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:03 PM
BANNED

I wasn't that far south, but a lot of my friends were from Beverly and I spent a shit ton of time there, especially during my high school years. The Bake was one of the first bars I was a regular at, and I wasn't 21.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions