HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 8:31 AM

Sacramento Restaurants, Nightlife and Entertainment

With all the new restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, lounges, galleries and other entertainment opening up in downtown/midtown Sacramento, I thought we should have a dedicated thread for it.

Earlier this evening, I was driving down J street towards Alhambra and later back up K to L to I-5. Just saw the McCormick and Schmick's on J from outside looking in. Should be a sweet restaurant once it opens next month. Saw a sign for Parlare Euro Lounge (www.parlarelounge.com) which I think is a Mason's (The Park) style lounge. Not sure if they are open yet. Drove by a recently opened place, Timarind Vietnamese Eatery, which is near Kru (one of my favs) at 25th and J. Saw a new place (I think it was called Level Up Lounge or something like that ... I was driving by) opening above Thai Basil restaurant at 24th and J. Also drove past Black Pearl which I read is going to be converted to something else.

As I later hovered back up K street towards the freeway, I saw that True Love coffehouse is back (Beach Hut deli currently occupies their old site on J street) at 23rd and K. Next to it was, I think, a Tea House or cafe or store or something opening called Hina's Tea. Driving on, I also saw a building with MARRS sign at 20th and K. Not sure if it's the project coming up nicely. Additionally, looks like a new gay club, Badlands, has been added to that entertainment area accross from Faces.

One weekend recently, friends and I had beer after work at Streets of London at 18th and J. Then walked by a dueling piano place called twisted 88s and over to Lucca at 16th and J for dinner. Then went to Mikuni on 16th to watch the rest of the King's game and have some more drinks. Then walked by Bistro 33 to Masons/the Park Downtown at 15th and L to finish up the night with music, dancing and entertainment.

Was just intrigued by how much one is now able to go to several places for a night out without the need to drive in midtown and the parts of downtown. Also so many new dining options keep croping up. It's no Gaslamp District in San Diego but it's a start.

Also, while driving down Broadway the other day, I saw a place called Bali Wine Bar and Grill. I think it may be an Indonesian restaurant. Looked good from outside and seemed to be worth checking out. May stop by in the next few days for dinner. Anyone been there?

Also looks like Sweet Fingers Jamaican restaurant has also been replaced with Queen Sheeba Ethiopian restaurant at Broadway and 17th. Got to try that out too. Just love the ethnic restaurant mix on Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:08 PM

That area around 16th and J is great. Ton of places to walk to.

I walked by Parlare last weekend and took a peek inside, still a lot of work to do.

It says they are going to be open in Feb, but I highly doubt that. Slick looking place though. Right along the line like you said of The Park.

Even though it's a chain, I'm really looking foward to McCormick and Schmick's. The Elks is such a cool old building, nice to see some life get put back into that building. Now if they can just put the nightclub back on the top two floors, that would be awesome.

SactownRob might have a problem with that though

Also, I heard the MARRS project is going to have another bar/club in it as well. Adding Bedlands and the new place to that corner is going to make it even crazier. That'll be 6 bars/clubs on like 2 blocks.

Last edited by sugit; Jan 31, 2007 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post

Also, I heard the MARRS project is going to have another bar/club in it as well. Adding Bedlands and the new place to that corner is going to make it even crazier. That'll be 6 bars/clubs on like 2 blocks.
It's a good entertainment area ..... if you are not straight. Wish they had similar congestion of bars/clubs but for the straight crowds. Maybe the MARRS project will add a non-gay club to the area. I did stop at Headhunter Bar and Grill for a meal one time and it was a decent meal.

Here's a pretty good list of many bars and nightclubs in downtown/midtown - http://midtowngrid.com/nightLife.shtml Not sure how comprehensive it is or how often it's updated as you don't see on it places like The Park Downtown/Mason's, Avalon, R15, Bistro 33, Mikuni's, 815 L, Capitol Garage, Centros etc

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:07 PM

I hear ya able the need for another similar congestion of bars/clubs in Sac, I still think R Street is going to be our best bet for that.

My brother (straight) says Faces is easily the best place to pick up a girl. He says he's 3 or 3. lol

Females love that area, they can go dance and party with out (so they think) guys hitting on them. A lot of straight people go party at Faces and the bars around that area, seems like it's been that way for a little while now.

Plus, Hot Rods has bomb as burgers...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:09 PM
my posse's on broadway

the midtown website is pretty damn extensive. I know it's a pay to play website for those who want to be listed. That's pretty funny to not see a couple of the bigger guys on there. Maybe they don't need the exposure?

some of the ones you mentioned, like Mikuni and Cap Garage are actually listed there.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:52 PM
Closed account

Cool thread! This is my expertise...
Last night was Lipstick (Old Ironsides).
Almost like a Soho nightclub, great DJ, the place is packed. If you ever want to show out of town friends who like to dance (probably under 30 crowd) and are into the trendy fashion, go there...Strong strong drinks! It is somewhat a mixed crowd as well (gay friendly) but not the majority. Very urban.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 10:39 PM

The city yesterday approved a 700K loan to the owners of The Kitchen for their new 'Ella Dining Room' at 12th and K in the The Cathedral Building.

I am really looking forward to this place. The Kitchen has received a lot of kudos and write ups in Wine Enthusiast, Sunset Mag and New York Times for the food, wine and demonstration dinners. They are $$$$ though, $125 a person for a 5 course demonstration dinner, without wine. From the reviews I've read on places like Yelp people rave about the place as one of the best in CA

UXUS Design out of Amsterdam is designing the place so I think we are in store for something special on K Street.

They said they would be open in June.

Also, the K Street Central project at 10th and K is going to have a Carnigie Deli meet Cheesecake Factory type deli place in addition to the Caberet Theatre and 2nd story bar/lounge.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......meat.

Last edited by sugit; Jan 31, 2007 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:00 PM

I've actually been to Faces twice. Once with an ex-girlfriend and another time with a straight buddy when it was the only place that looked lively one 3-day holiday weekend. But this was more than 5 years ago. When I went with my ex for the first time, I was actually impressed with the size and the vibe of the place. Looked small from the outside but is somewhat expansive once you get inside. I can only imagine what it's like now with all the renovations and expansions taking place there.. I do know female friends that also like to go there because they say guys don't bother them as much as straight clubs. Yeah, right.

I also wanted to try Hot Rods one evening but the line was too long and the place was crowded so we went elsewhere. Gotta return to try the burgers sometime.

TD, I still don't see Mikuni's and Cap Garage on the link I put above.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
The city yesterday approved a 700K loan to the owners of The Kitchen for their new 'Ella Dining Room' at 12th and K in the The Cathedral Building.

I am really looking forward to this place. The Kitchen has received a lot of kudos and write ups in Wine Enthusiast, Sunset Mag and New York Times for the food, wine and demonstration dinners. They are $$$$ though, $125 a person for a 5 course demonstration dinner, without wine. From the reviews I've read on places like Yelp people rave about the place as one of the best in CA

UXUS Design out of Amsterdam is designing the place so I think we are in store for something special on K Street.

They said they would be open in June.

Also, the K Street Central project at 10th and K is going to have a like Carnigie Deli meet Cheesecafe Factory type deli sandwich place in addition to the Caberet Theatre and 2nd story lounge.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......meat.

Wow, I'm just so impressed with the Sacramento club/dining scene. When I was running around, I think we had club 2-Me and that was about it . Oh yeah, there was Confetti out near Arden Fair and Friday's, Tequila Willie's and a third place whose name escapes me all near each other on Howe.

But now, just look at it. Fabulous clubs/restaurants opening every couple of months. Another example of proving the doubters wrong. Parlare looks like it could open in Vegas and it's just one of many.

Although The Kitchen isn't downtown, this is yet another Sacramento secret with an international reputation. It's like going over to Emeril's house for an evening of showbiz cuisine and education that's nothing short of spectacular. I went a couple of years ago. The experience is like nothing in California. Whatever Selland is bringing downtown, it should help make downtown Sacramento a culinary center worthy of its agricultural heritage.

I hope you guys are enjoying it.

Last edited by william; Jan 31, 2007 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:07 PM

Oh man, Club 2-Me . Now THAT is a great dive bar! Some of the old ones never really get old.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:13 PM
Repeat!

This is a great idea for a thread; I was about to ask for downtown restaurant suggestions for Valentine's Day in the Sac Proposals one.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
my posse's on broadway

nothing like fried egg on a cheese burger.

Backward Sacramento, I meant to say they're on that website, just not under that category. I think it's a pretty good and realiable site in general. The Midtown Guru does some good writing on the subjects we hit on a lot here - check it out here.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
This is a great idea for a thread; I was about to ask for downtown restaurant suggestions for Valentine's Day in the Sac Proposals one.
What kind of price range, atmosphere, and food are you looking for?

If you don't mind dropping a little coin, my 4 horsemen for fine dinning are Waterboy (20th and Cap), Mason's (15th and L) and Mulvanny's (19th Between L and Cap), I haven't quite found the 4th yet, I hope Ella fill the gap. I bet The Kitchen would be up there, but I haven't been there yet.

I will say though, it seems like going on big days like V-Day resturants are super busy and never seem to be on point with food or service those nights. My opinion though.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
Wow, I'm just so impressed with the Sacramento club/dining scene. When I was running around, I think we had club 2-Me and that was about it . Oh yeah, there was Confetti out near Arden Fair and Friday's, Tequila Willie's and a third place whose name escapes me all near each other on Howe.
I remember Confetti's on Arden way. That place has really gone thru several transformation in the last 20 years. Confetti's became Yucatan Liquor stand which became Piranha Room (with the huge fish tank inside) which became Polly Esters which became In Cahoots country club and is now Tropicana Latin Dance club.

Also, there was Carlos Murphy's and Charlie Browns in that area. I think Tequilla Willie's is now El Toritos on Howe. TW was a fun place going to Sac State too.

The place that would have really done well in Sacramento now was America Live at Sacramento which was replaced by the Hard Rock Cafe and Copelands sporting goods store in the downtown plaza. I think that place was way ahead of it's time for downtown Sacramento at a time when people rarely went downtown for nighttime entertainment. Would fit perfectly now. That was six clubs plus restaurants in one.

Also Club 2-me was a staple going to Sac State.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:32 PM

Has anyone had a chance to check out the Twisted 88's dueling piano bar? Sounds like a cool concept and something different than your typical bar/club.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
Has anyone had a chance to check out the Twisted 88's dueling piano bar? Sounds like a cool concept and something different than your typical bar/club.
There are three dueling piano bars in San Diego and they are a riot. Highly recomended.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
Stopped in before they officially opened one week but they did not have the dueling piano players playing then. A buddy of mine said he was going to a new club opening last Friday.... at the site of, or maybe next to, Twisted 88s which he said was closing. But when I drove down J st yesterday, it still looked like Twisted 88 was still there although they did not seem to be open on Tuesdays.

The other dueling pianos I know of in Sac is 2 Grand Saloon in Old Sacramento. Been to it one Saturday and it was lively and fun.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:50 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
two places that are great, but fly under the radar a lot are Chanterelle (in the Sterling Hotel) and my favorite... Moxie. For contemporary Japanese, I highly reccommend Kru. For small plates, cool atmosphere and interesting drinks, check out Kasbah.

I thought you were in Davis for some reason... if you are and don't feel like coming out to Sacramento, check out Osteria Fasulo. I had to go there after the owner shut down his downtown location called Il Posto, and it was excellent.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 12:06 AM
Repeat!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I moved downtown last year I really haven't had much of an opportunity to check out most of the bars and restaurants with school/work occupying most of my time. Price isn't too much of an issue. The only hints I've gotten from my girlfriend are "somewhat fancy and with a view."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Stopped in before they officially opened one week but they did not have the dueling piano players playing then. A buddy of mine said he was going to a new club opening last Friday.... at the site of, or maybe next to, Twisted 88s which he said was closing. But when I drove down J st yesterday, it still looked like Twisted 88 was still there although they did not seem to be open on Tuesdays.

The other dueling pianos I know of in Sac is 2 Grand Saloon in Old Sacramento. Been to it one Saturday and it was lively and fun.

I don't believe Twisted 88's has offically opened yet...I know they had an 'grand opening party', but I walk by every day from work at 6ish, and it has yet to be open, plus last week, I could peek in and see that the back (behind that first wall) was still being completed. It's def. NOT closing, just looks like it's going through finishing touches before they actually open.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area