HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 6:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well i will at least agree with you that its on a par with aqua in a sense, but not beekman, although not because of design -- beek has that sexy shiny stainless steel that can be awful if not done right, but its done right!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
New Yorker for life

I just can't wait until it's fully open and glitters at night...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1135045

R&B star John Legend to christen Barclays Center intimate 6,000-seat theater
Tickets for Oct. 29 show go on sale Friday. Arena's Cushman & Wakefield Theater carved into future home of the Brooklyn Nets

By Reuven Blau
August 12, 2012

Quote:
The Barclays Center will include a new intimate theater space — and it’s set to be christened by a Legend, the Daily News has learned. R&B star John Legend will be the first artist to open the arena’s Cushman & Wakefield Theater, a small-stage setting cordoned off within the larger venue. Tickets for the Oct. 29 show go on sale Friday.

The micro theater — created with a specially designed curtain system — can seat between 4,000 and 6,000 guests. The full arena seats 18,200 for basketball games and up to 19,000 for larger concerts. “It makes the stage feel like the focal point in the performance,” Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark said about the cozier space.

The thick black curtains will be stored on top of the arena’s rafters and mechanically lowered when needed for smaller events, including local music festivals, boxing matches and children theater acts.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:57 AM

This is far from the "most beautiful American sports venue in the country or "one of the best looking buildings in the U.S." (though I wont make a big fit if somebody thinks that way), but it is very nice and made even more so in the context of the surrounding environment.

And the surrounding environment is key to judging a baseball stadium or arena. This arena fits in splendidly within the neighborhood. IMO, the Sprint Center in Kansas City is far and away the nicest large arena built in the last few years, but it would look a bit odd and out of place plopped on this piece of land in Brooklyn. So would the Staples Center or Amway Center which on their own are very nice arenas, but would be less so in Brooklyn.

The Barclays Center IMO pulls off two difficult feats. One, it looks like it will look MUCH better than it's renderings which I thought were horrible the first time I saw them. And two, it looks like it will fit seamlessly in with the surrounding entertainment while at the same time being architecturally unique and distinctive. That may not make it the nicest sports venue or building in the US in my book, but from a design standpoint, it makes it one of the most effective.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
New Yorker for life

asondheim

Still looking forward to seeing it lit up like those model shots...

threecee

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:48 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I have mixed feelings about the towers. I know I don't want "Miss Brooklyn" to go on the plaza. The tower on the southside may be ok, but I don't want too much blocking the view of the arena itself. I want it to stand out as an icon of Brooklyn.
I was annoyed when Miss Brooklyn got such a nimby response and delays. Now tho, I like it that there's open space at that corner. Considering the way DTBK is sprouting towers anyway, having that corner stay open makes for a great focal point.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:57 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Hopefully it will stay that way, especially since those towers are nothing great to look at anyway. No need to hide the arena, its the new pride of Brooklyn!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1135765

Barclays Center installs 70,000 pound Daktronics scoreboard inside 18,200 arena opening Sept. 28
Hi-def $7.5-million scoreboard loaded with gadgets, including a Kiss Cam. It measures three stories high and was delivered to Brooklyn from South Dakota in pieces

By Reuven Blau
August 14, 2012

Quote:
The Barclays Center installed its picture perfect scoreboard Monday. The high-def, 70,000-pound Daktronics scoreboard — one of the largest in the nation — was recently hoisted to the rafters of the 18,200-seat arena, which is fast nearing completion.

The $7.5-million super scoreboard is loaded with high-tech gadgets, including a Kiss Cam on its underside, 3,550 square feet of LED video display and an internal television camera to capture the action below. “It will be the centerpiece of the arena,” said Chip Foley, director of building technology for the project.

The scoreboard, measuring three stories in height, was purchased from a Brookings, S.D., manufacturer. It was shipped to Brooklyn in pieces. “It's like a giant Lego,” Foley said. “Getting all the pieces inside the building was delaying us because you can't turn it on its side; so we had to wait for certain entrances to be completed.”

Tech workers at the arena will spend the next few weeks programming the mammoth screen to get it ready for its debut. Brooklyn-born rapper Jay-Z is scheduled to christen the arena Sept. 28 with the first of eight performances.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:15 PM
aka Studdedleather

^^^ The scoreboard will probably look huge at the games! By square feet is this larger than MSG's? I couldn't find it online anywhere.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Don't know.

Here's another look at it...

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/8/14/3...ht-at-barclays

USAToday piece about Brooklyn and the Nets...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ets/57038550/1

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
^^^ The scoreboard will probably look huge at the games! By square feet is this larger than MSG's? I couldn't find it online anywhere.
If my math is correct and if I understand the Daktronics page correctly, MSG's jumbotron has about 1124 square feet of display.

Madison Square Garden Display Information (Daktronics): http://www.daktronics.com/ProductsSe..._DD1088481.jpg

If that is true, then the Barclays Center's is massive.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberGR8NESS View Post
If my math is correct and if I understand the Daktronics page correctly, MSG's jumbotron has about 1124 square feet of display.

Madison Square Garden Display Information (Daktronics): http://www.daktronics.com/ProductsSe..._DD1088481.jpg

If that is true, then the Barclays Center's is massive.
Mr Dolan, tear down that toilet.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:59 PM
New Yorker for life

http://hiphopwired.com/2012/08/15/ex...square-garden/

Exclusive: Spike Lee Says Barclays Center Is “Not Better” Than Madison Square Garden

by Latifah Muhammad
August 15, 2012

Quote:
The Barclays Center has been the talk of basketball, Hip-Hop and Brooklyn, but one person unfazed by the hype is Spike Lee. The acclaimed director, and Brooklyn native is a devout New York Knick's fan and when asked if he will start supporting the Nets who have since moved to his borough, he refused to switch sides. “I'm not going with the Brooklyn Nets,” Lee tells Hip-Hop Wired. Slated to open in September, the Barclays Center will boast several amenities including a 40/40 Club location outfitted with 80-inch flat screens, and a VIP section covered sponsored by Calvin Klein. Nets minority owner, Jay-Z will perform eight shows at the arena in September, while John Legend will be the first act to take the stage at Barclays Cushman & Wakefield theater one month later.

Regardless of the attention that the center has received, Lee is not impressed. However, he will visit the arena— if need be. “I'll go, but I'm not a Brooklyn Nets fan,” he added. “ It's not better than Madison Square Garden though. It's three blocks from my office in Forte Green.”

“The Garden,” as it's called, is New York City's longest active major sporting facility and opened in 1968. Over the years, several music artist (including Jay-Z) have performed in the venue. In 1991, owners shelled out $200 million to renovate the location and added 89 suites. It currently hosts 320 events a year, but only time will tell if Barclays will become a viable competitor for the Garden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/16/ny...pagewanted=all

With Arena, Rapper Rewrites Celebrity Investors’ Playbook

By DAVID M. HALBFINGER
August 15, 2012

Quote:
When the developer Bruce Ratner set out to buy the New Jersey Nets and build an arena for them in Brooklyn, he recruited Jay-Z, the hip-hop superstar who grew up in public housing a couple of miles from the site, to join his group of investors. Mr. Ratner may have thought he was getting little more than a limited partner with a boldface name and a youthful following that could prove useful someday. But Jay-Z’s contributions have dwarfed the $1 million he invested nine years ago. His influence on the project has been wildly disproportionate to his ownership stake — a scant one-fifteenth of one percent of the team. And so is the money he stands to make from it.

Now, with the long-delayed Barclays Center arena nearing opening night in September and the Nets bidding in earnest for Brooklyn’s loyalties, Jay-Z will perform eight sold-out shows to kick things off. But away from center stage he has put his mark on almost every facet of the enterprise, his partners say.

He helped design the team logos and choose the team’s stark black-and-white color scheme, and personally appealed to National Basketball Association officials to drop their objections to it (the N.B.A., according to a person with knowledge of the discussion, thought that African-American athletes did not look good on TV in black, an assertion that a league spokesman adamantly denied). He counseled arena executives on what kind of music to play during games. (“Less Jersey,” he urged, pushing niche artists like Santigold over old favorites like Bon Jovi.)

“He is it,” Mr. Ratner, the developer, said in an interview. “He is us. He is how people are going to see that place.”

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...ooklyn-fixture

For Better or Worse, Barclays is Becoming a Brooklyn Fixture

August 13, 2012
By Janet Upadhye

Designer Deb Goldstein created a T-shirt to protest the renaming of Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street to Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 8:52 PM
aka Studdedleather

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 2:13 AM

this arena is pretty cool.
that overhang hole in roof thing is awesome.
it looks like a arena that belongs in europe somewhere.

can somebody post more pics of the construction

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 3:31 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
this arena is pretty cool.
that overhang hole in roof thing is awesome.
it looks like a arena that belongs in europe somewhere.

can somebody post more pics of the construction
Lol are you talking about the Oculus? I agree it's awesome and unique!

http://archpaper.com/uploads/Barclays-Center-Oculus.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...59685938_n.jpg

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 3:56 AM

I think this stadium looks amazing, can't wait to check it out in person. So different than your run-of-the-mill arena.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
_
Glad to see my NetsDaily posts are being noticed.

http://instagram.com/p/OhAVyMAltt/

http://instagram.com/p/OjiFMTFb01/

http://instagram.com/p/OhvVl4Qlr6/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:

As a fan of architecture, nothing puts more of a hop in my step than when I see a close up of a realized building and the details are beautiful. It shows tenderness and conviction on the part of everyone involved; from the architects to the engineers, from the manufacturers to the construction crew. It really is a wonderful thing.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
As a fan of architecture, nothing puts more of a hop in my step than when I see a close up of a realized building and the details are beautiful. It shows tenderness and conviction on the part of everyone involved; from the architects to the engineers, from the manufacturers to the construction crew. It really is a wonderful thing.
I thought it looks cool & awesome.
but you said it better.

that green grass covered roof entrance to the metro
that looks kinda stupid
unless somebody has some new pics

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 8:28 PM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberGR8NESS View Post
Glad to see my NetsDaily posts are being noticed.
Of course! Thanks man for sharing as well the more exposure for our team the better! =) Cool new pictures too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Great perspective! I agree the architectural aspect of this building is genius.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
I thought it looks cool & awesome.
but you said it better.

that green grass covered roof entrance to the metro
that looks kinda stupid
unless somebody has some new pics
Are you nuts?!?!?!?! It's beautiful and modern? Are New Yorker such strangers to nature that they can't even appreciate it? That's frightening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction