HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 11:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Hi everyone,

Been a while since I last posted but rest assured I've continued to read the board and appreciate all of your fantastic input/development news.

Good news to report -- I landed a great new job in NOLA and I'll be moving back down in a couple weeks. I've been frustrated with the available housing in the Quarter and Marigny (my preferred destinations) though. Especially since I have a cat and that disqualifies me from a few of the decent places I planned to look at upon my arrival.

I did see openings at the DH Holmes building in the Quarter. Does anyone have any insight into that building? It seems almost too perfect with price/location/relatively cheap parking...

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a good realtor for rentals in the FQ/Marigny, please let me know. My price range is $1200-$1650/mo.

Cheers and happy Easter
DH Holmes seems nice enough I dont really know too much though. Best of luck and welcome back!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I really wish these were socially acceptable. Obviously they don't smell great but it discourages people from doing their business in other places (like alleyways, stairs, and elevators). The open bottom is important to prevent people from using the booths for... other stuff.

Women are out of luck, but I really don't care as public urination is overwhelmingly a male problem...

I see that the .jpg is titled "pissoir" so I'm going to guess that's in France. But yeah, if only we had some heavily traveled pedestrian area where lots of people are in need of a place to piss...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:11 AM
TL;DR

No, Copenhagen. Paris was the first city to install them in the 1870s, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.6774...4vnMteXx9g!2e0

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 1:36 PM
life is good

It could be a selling point, making the city more "European" or "French." As long as they have automated washing systems, wouldn't even be that gross.

Not holding my breath, I imagine the NIMBYs in the Quarter would not be pleased.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:50 PM
-

Going to try and go out with my google glasses today or tomorrow and see what kinds of pics I can take with them.. Should be a good bit easier with them to take things while driving or biking.

Get Ready, Uptown, Pizza Domenica Opens on Thursday

Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70115
Phone 504 301-4978

Pizza Domenica will open Uptown this Thursday, Brett Anderson reports, in what's gearing up to be a week of huge openings all over town, including Square Root and the Cochon Butcher expansion on Wednesday. Expect John Besh and Alon Shaya to offer a greater variety of pies than the mothership—plus salads, crostinis, antipasti, and of course Shaya's beloved whole roasted cauliflower— in a more casual setting, meaning you order at the cash register and then sit.

Booze wise, there's also a glycol-chilled beer tap system, 40+ beers, 35+ wines, and batch cocktails by the pitcher, but happy hour specials haven't been announced yet. Pizza Domenica will be open daily 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. with take out available.

http://nola.eater.com/

Jeff Berry's Latitude 29 Heading To Iris Space This Fall

[Photos: Facebook/Facebook]

Tales of the Cocktail's social media reports that after years of searching for spaces, renowned tiki drink master, Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and wife Annene will open their highly-anticipated New Orleans tiki bar, Latitude 29, in the Iris space (321 N. Peters) this fall.

The buildout of Latitude 29 will begin in June, after Iris closes at the end of May. NOLA.com is also reporting that Berry has hired on designer Bosko Hrnjak for the revamp, which makes sense because Hrnjak's whose projects include Taboo Cove in Las Vegas, Mister Tiki Mai Kai Lounge in San Diego and Le Tiki Lounge in Paris.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2014/...his-fall-1.php

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:27 PM
life is good

Uber restarts expansion effort in New Orleans
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...in+New+Orleans
Quote:
Officials with Uber, the San Francisco-based car service that has had trouble trying to expand into New Orleans, say they’re working with the city to allow the company to legally operate.
“We are working with the appropriate stakeholders right now to revise regulations that are in place,” Thomas Hayes, Uber’s New Orleans general manager, said.
Uber provides on-demand car service in several large cities with a business model that’s different from traditional taxis. Instead of calling a cab dispatcher, customers can hail an Uber ride using an application on their smartphone.
Hayes said the company is running “on all cylinders” to open as soon as possible, and is optimistic about support from City Hall.
The company is looking to hire a community manager and driver office manager in New Orleans.
“We line up 100 percent with what the mayor is trying to do with New Orleans,” he said...
Specialty coffee co. plans to launch chain in NOLA
Quote:
A California-based entrepreneur is bringing a new specialty coffee company to New Orleans, backed with funding from his own venture capital firm.
(MeePoohyaphoto/iStock/Thinkstock)
(MeePoohyaphoto/iStock/Thinkstock)
Revelator Coffee is planning to open its first shop in the coming months in a two-story Warehouse District Building at 637 Tchoupitoulas St., near the intersection of Girod Street.
Founder and President Josh Owen said the company’s focus is to introduce high-end specialty coffees to the region similar to those being produced in the Northwest and Northeast. He said he is looking to achieve the same kind of success as other quasi-regional specialty chains such as Blue Bottle Coffee of Oakland Calif., Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Portland Ore., and Intelligentsia of Chicago.
“The South has its fair share of coffee products, but no one is doing the kind of specialty roasting that we are doing,” Owen said. “It’s coffee as an agricultural craft product, kind of like wine and beer.”...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:42 PM
-

This Company Left After Katrina & Just Returned To Open French Quarter Office

Patient Care, a Milwaukee-based company hired by employers to assist employees in navigating health insurance plans, will return to its roots by opening an office in New Orleans.

The office will focus on earning business and servicing clients in the gulf coast with an initial staff of three.

CEO and president Jane Cooper founded the company in New Orleans in 2001, but after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 damaged the company’s office, she decided to relocate to Milwaukee because she liked the business environment and already had several Milwaukee-area clients.

The company announced earlier this month that it will open a sales office in the heart of the French Quarter while the company’s headquarters will remain in downtown Milwaukee.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/this-comp...uarter-office/

Gallier Court Development in the CBD Names Its Retail Tenant

As the historic James Gallier-designed building at 127-129 Carondelet St. is undergoing its transformation into an apartment-retail combo called Gallier Court, a tenant has been announced for the ground floor retail space. VOM FASS, a shop that sells cask-aged vinegars, fancy oils and wines, will move into the CBD location, GNO Real Estate News reports. Josh Gertler, the developer of Gallier Court, told Curbed back in September that he'd "love a strong local restaurateur or retailer to occupy the space and cater to the flourishing CBD neighborhood," and well, good timing since VOM FASS got the boot from their Magazine Street location Uptown to make room for a yet-unnamed "exciting tenant out of New York City."

A refresher on the Gallier Court development: The building was the homebase of the Gertler law firm until last spring. Now under-construction, it's the future home to eight apartments— 641-square-foot one-bedrooms and 1,137-square-foot two-bedrooms— that will take over the top three floors of the space. No word yet on what the rent will be, but the apartments should be up for grabs by fall 2014.

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...-1925.php#more

Chateau Du Lac is Expanding Into The Former La Boca Space

Now that La Boca has reopened in the freshly revamped/former a Mano location, Brett Anderson reports that Chateau du Lac Warehouse Bistro, an expansion of the Old Metairie French fave, is taking over the former La Boca space (857 Fulton St.): "The menu will closely resemble the other Chateau du Lac's... with a few tweaks dictated by the taste of downtown clientele."

Owner/chef Jacques Saleun is a native of France, having trained in Brittany, then working in Paris and New York before opening Chateau du Lac in Kenner in 2005, then moving the restaurant to a bigger space in Old Metairie. Anderson gave THREE BEANS to Chateau du Lac in 2008. Expect the new location to open mid-summer.

http://nola.eater.com/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:56 PM
life is good

@fenderoz - good luck. I'm renting out a half a shotgun I own in mid city right now and competition is fierce! If you see something you like you gotta jump immediately and make sure you have everything (id, paystub/bank account) already ready.

Edit:
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...se-apartments/
19th century buildings to house apts...
Vacant since K

Last edited by Eightball; Apr 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
@fenderoz - good luck. I'm renting out a half a shotgun I own in mid city right now and competition is fierce! If you see something you like you gotta jump immediately and make sure you have everything (id, paystub/bank account) already ready.

Edit:
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...se-apartments/
19th century buildings to house apts...
Vacant since K
Cant read the article but Im assuming thats Factors Row(whos plans I posted a few days ago)... btw Ive noticed city business has been running a lot of articles right after the information is posted here.

535 Tchoupitoulas St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: 2V8E5F
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Frank Lauricella
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/22/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovations to Ambassador Hotel,Corridors,Guest Rooms,Lobby and Restaurants as per plans and HDLC ?????,

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 6:18 PM
life is good

Yeah its factors row... City Biz should cut you a check

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 7:11 PM
-

Quote:
Yeah its factors row... City Biz should cut you a check
I know right ... granted the information isn't proprietary haha... Well see how long it takes for the ambassador hotel to show up lol ...

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 22, 2014 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:01 PM
life is good

From an email from Ride New Orleans

Quote:

Ride New Orleans collects 330 petition signatures at CBD Transit Hub day of action, RTA Commits $16k for seating & benches, and $500k for long-term planning effort

Thanks to your signatures, volunteer hours, donations, and support, Ride New Orleans hosted an amazing day of action last Tuesday, placing 200 chairs along Elk Place in the CBD, and calling for investment in the heart of our transit system with the release of our report: “Smart Transit for a Strong Economy: Why New Orleans Should Invest in a CBD Transit Hub.“ See photos of the action on our Facebook page.

During the action, Justin Augustine, Vice President of Veolia Transportation Services Inc. in service to the Regional Transit Authority, committed $16,000 to provide immediate relief for transferring riders in the form of new benches and shelters in the next 120 days; and just one week after our action and report release, on Tuesday, April 22, the RTA Board voted to approve $500,000 for a CBD Transit Hub alternatives analysis in 2015. While we don't have all the details just yet, we are heartened by such a quick response from the Regional Transit Authority and the City of New Orleans.

We are monitoring this process closely to ensure the RTA conducts in depth public engagement to design a new CBD Transit Hub based on the vision of transit riders.

Stay tuned, as we uncover and release more details about the installation of benches and shelters along Elk Place; and the upcoming planning process to consolidate the CBD Transit Hub. For now, let's celebrate!

Check out media coverage from our day of action here.

RAMPART STREETCAR EXPANSION PUBLIC HEARING
This Thursday, April 24th from 6-8PM
Treme Center Gymnasium - 900 N. Villere Street
The RTA is getting ready to start construction on the long anticipated N. Rampart Street and St. Claude Avenue streetcar project. Thursday, the agency will provide an update and presentation on the project's design including the track alignment, station stops, shelter designs and project schedule.

We'll be asking the RTA about their plans for the buses that run along the planned streetcar corridor - including the #57 Franklin bus to SUNO, the #88 St. Claude bus to the Lower 9th Ward and the #91 bus that runs from City Park to the Wal-Mart in the Lower Garden District. While the new streetcar is exciting, riders will lose the quick and direct service to the CBD offered currently if these heavily ridden bus routes are cut, forcing riders to transfer to the Rampart streetcar when it opens.

This new streetcar line must be integrated into our transit network thoughtfully, so that bus commuters do not experience hardship when the streetcar comes online.

Ride New Orleans will provide live updates via our Twitter feed.

Hope to see you at Thursday's meeting!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:16 PM
-

Quote:
From an email from Ride New Orleans
That's great news on the quick action. The transit hub should be built to finish around when the rampart line comes into service. I think this is ultimately a must for the CBD because the current situation is detrimental to the commercial on the ground floors of many of the new apartment buildings. You cant run a business behind a hundred people standing on the sidewalk waiting for the next streetcar or bus. Theres no visibility!

Ill try to go by the streetcar meeting tomorrow!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:50 PM
TL;DR

I've always thought the Rosa Parks Transit Center in Detroit was a good model. Shade and seating are the most important consideration for a bus terminal. Should go on Basin St where the Southern Rwy terminal used to be.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:11 PM

Spirit Airlines adds Fort Lauderdale, Houston nonstops

The airport is on a roll lately! Gross airline, but any new service is welcome.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._river_default

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
The airport is on a roll lately! Gross airline, but any new service is welcome.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._river_default
Not to get off topic but I don't get Spirit airlines. It never seems to be cheaper to me! But more service is great... hopefully they add some Caribbean destinations

Butcher expansion Opens:

Root Squared Opens This Week:

Booze whisperer Anne Berry has the scoop on mixologist Max Messier's cocktail program at Root Squared, Square Root's upstairs cocktail lounge. While "flamed berries" and boozy snowballs were all the rage at the soft opening, here's what else Berry says is in store for the program:

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2014/...ur-berries.php

As the Carver Theater prepares to reopen, a look at the renovations

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/imag...?cb=1398269578

Tulane Avenue daycare expands in expectation of increased workforce

In the coming years Tulane Avenue is expected to experience an economic renaissance with the future openings of the Veterans Affairs Hospital and University Medical Center.

To accommodate the men and women currently working construction on the $2 billion medical complex and the thousands of health care workers who will soon be inundating the area, Kids Kingdom daycare center will celebrate a 2,000-square-foot expansion 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Councilwoman LaToya Cantrell, who has spearheaded efforts to clean up Tulane Avenue by cracking down on troubled businesses, installing crime cameras and increasing police presence, said the daycare expansion will help build momentum for changing the face of this long-troubled commercial corridor.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...e_expands.html

Carrollton Hollygrove Senior Center Ground Breaking

Mayor Landrieu and City officials joined FEMA today for a ground breaking at the Carrollton Hollygrove Senior Center facility at 3300 Hamilton Street. The new $3 million multipurpose senior center will replace a 10,200 square foot, two-story facility destroyed during Hurricane Katrina.

The Center, operated by the New Orleans Council on Aging, will include a 19,000 square foot, two-story multipurpose space for senior day care activities. Seniors will also have access to social services, a doctor’s office and examination room.

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:11 PM

Holy Cross vote delayed by New Orleans City Council, again

The New Orleans City Council on Thursday (April 24) again opted to delay voting on a proposed mixed-use development in the Lower 9th Ward's Holy Cross neighborhood. The issue was moved to the council's next scheduled meeting, May 8...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Holy Cross vote delayed by New Orleans City Council, again

The New Orleans City Council on Thursday (April 24) again opted to delay voting on a proposed mixed-use development in the Lower 9th Ward's Holy Cross neighborhood. The issue was moved to the council's next scheduled meeting, May 8...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default
Just vote already! Are they waiting on a new council for some reason?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:03 PM
TL;DR

No, Perez is coming back in May with a shorter version (65', down from 75'). I'm sure it won't placate the neighbors but City Council might look favorably.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:20 PM
-

1815 Henriette Delille St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: 82JFJR

Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Quality Design & Construction,Llc

Draft Application

Date Filed:
4/8/2014 9:32:58 AM
Description

CONSTRUCT A 4-STORY, 44627SF EXTENSION OF THE HOME FOR THE AGED AS PER PLANS, CITY COUNCIL MOTION #M-12-242 AND ORDINANCE #24984.

1476 Magazine St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: TNTVYJ
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Charles Rutledge
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
3/25/2014 12:00:00 AM
Construction of a new multi-story, mixed use building.

333 St joseph (One story addition and renovation to Auction House)

New WWII Museum Parking Garage (altered for 7 floors)

New Orleans Advocate Headquarters:

Iberia Bank (Canal and Tonti)

819 Julia St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: 6W1L13 :
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Vanessa Smith-Torres
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
4/23/2014 12:00:00 AM
Application in order to present conceptual massing to Architectural Review Committee of CBD Historic District Landmarks Commission. Proposed work includes demolition of existing covered parking shed and existing 2 story building on adjacent lots. Construction of 5 story hotel with penthouse and roof deck. See attached documents for additional information.

GNOF Building New Renderings:

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations