HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:38 PM
Westgate Newbie

City of Calgary Tax Assessments

Your new Tax Assessments can be found here:

http://dmzwww2.gov.calgary.ab.ca/fai...rchOptions.asp

Apparently "If your your assessment shows a greater than 43% increase from last year, your taxes will increase. If less that 43% your taxes will stay the same."

I strongly encourage a verification of this above statement as I am not sure if this is true (third party info).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 9:19 PM

My assessment went up about 44% and the taxes went up ever so slightly, but I only had a half year last year but I doubled all the numbers for comparison sake.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 2:41 AM

taxes did not increase much for me...17% maybe? Assessment went up over 50% though

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 3:07 AM
Majestic

Our assessment is up over 60%... :\

Flickr

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 3:11 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
taxes did not increase much for me...17% maybe? Assessment went up over 50% though
17% increse in taxes isn't much??

.... Would you have the same opinion if you income tax rose 17% ?

The government loves people like you.. raise taxes 17% at a time and nothing to worry about.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:22 AM

I think we need a new formula for taxation. I suggest the following

1) Just like with market assessment, forecast the cities funding requirments
2) Calculate the cities entire surface area
3) Divide the required funding by surface area to get the funds required on a per square kilometer basis
4) Multiply the density of the lot by the required funds per square kilometer, and there you have your property tax.

Hypothetical situation

- City needs 1,000,000,000 in operating capital
- The city is 1000 square kilometers therefore each square kilometer needs to raise 1,000,000 dollars.
- 1000 homes at the same density in 1 square kilometers, therefore each home needs to raise 1000 bucks in property taxes.

Granted this formula needs much tweaking to take into account business, industrial, residential, and many other factors, but at least its a start in taxing people for the amount of space they take up, therefore how costly it is to service them.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:28 AM

^Great!!

I once suggested something very similiar but i had figured it out having ~50% calculated by the current property value system and then the other ~50% calculated by the density.

The other option to include, or an option to bonus/penalize, was to further adjust property taxes by the distance the home is from the center of the city.

So a similiar density abode of equal value close to the core would pay less tax (10%?) than a comparable abode in the far suburbs.

Furthermore, any group of home owners (like a condo tower) that pays for its own trash removal gets a further reduction (5%? More?).

Claeren.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Historian Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-71).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:38 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

The government loves people like you.. raise taxes 17% at a time and nothing to worry about.
Devil's advocate, but tax increases like that are far easier to swallow here because they're so damn low to begin with. A 17% increase in my property tax is a couple hundred bucks. A 17% income tax increase is (potentially, anyway) thousands.

Mostly though, it's remembering the $4000+ property tax bills in Winnipeg. Our bill here is half that on twice the house.

Not that any tax increase is ever a good thing, but if they're gonna go up, at least increase the ones that don't seem ridiculously high. This city seems to be a lot better at how it spends its money than some. I'm sure everyone will disagree with that though, because <<pet project>> isn't well funded.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:48 AM

Quote:

Taxes bad...government bad...money good. We know already

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:56 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Devil's advocate, but tax increases like that are far easier to swallow here because they're so damn low to begin with. A 17% increase in my property tax is a couple hundred bucks. A 17% income tax increase is (potentially, anyway) thousands.

Mostly though, it's remembering the $4000+ property tax bills in Winnipeg. Our bill here is half that on twice the house.

Not that any tax increase is ever a good thing, but if they're gonna go up, at least increase the ones that don't seem ridiculously high. This city seems to be a lot better at how it spends its money than some. I'm sure everyone will disagree with that though, because <<pet project>> isn't well funded.
Now one just has to solve the "how do I get the house" problem, and you're set!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 3:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Now one just has to solve the "how do I get the house" problem, and you're set!
Houses are easy to get here.

A salary large enough to qualify for the mortgage, on the other hand...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post
^Great!!

The other option to include, or an option to bonus/penalize, was to further adjust property taxes by the distance the home is from the center of the city.

So a similiar density abode of equal value close to the core would pay less tax (10%?) than a comparable abode in the far suburbs.

Claeren.
That seems like a decent idea, but there are still a lot of Calgarians that don't have a real use for downtown on a daily basis - such as myself...why penalize because we don't live there?

I'd agree with the density, but, I think the city needs to simply design our neighbourhoods more efficiently - this isn't something you need to penalize the taxpayer for.

Anyway, our house went up some 40%, but our taxes went DOWN this year...we were surprised.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 1:59 AM

Quote:

17% relative to 50% is nothing...if your house went up 10% in value but they charged you 15% more in taxes, then I would have a problem...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
That seems like a decent idea, but there are still a lot of Calgarians that don't have a real use for downtown on a daily basis - such as myself...why penalize because we don't live there?

I'd agree with the density, but, I think the city needs to simply design our neighbourhoods more efficiently - this isn't something you need to penalize the taxpayer for.

Anyway, our house went up some 40%, but our taxes went DOWN this year...we were surprised.
At the moment the city is penalizing those who have chosen to live in the most sustainable and ecologically efficient neighbourhoods, which just so happen to be the fastest appreciating areas of town. The tax system shouldnt punish anyone, it should simply make people pay for the burden they put on the system. Density translates well into that. The less dense an area, the more per capita the city has to spend on roads, pipes, parks, transit etc to service the area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy