HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
I do not like the plans for the condo tower. Just not in that spot. I think it would be much nicer if the condos were 4-6 stories tall and and left a little bit of room for the park. After all the only surviving piece of the wall of fort conde (early 1700) is sitting on that site. I also like that the Old church there has a nice veiw. also it allows for the oldest sidewalk in Mobile (early 1800s) to be seen and the oldest street light in Mobile to be seen. I do like the building for a different place. I think it needs to be a more Creole or colonial looking building. not floridaish.

Mobile should not stop progress to save any of these things you mentioned, which nobody (less than a couple % of the city) give a damn about.

I agree with you about building style, it does need more "Mobile" in it, or if they are just completely against that then do something modern (though that is less preferable than traditional southern coastal architecture.

Personally I think the fountain is a good idea. It is a place of congregation during the summer and would actually serve the area as a "more used" public space than a park. Though I believe the current design of the fountain is not great.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:21 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:24 PM

Ok so can anyone explain the politics behind this and what if any, agreements/acceptances are needed by the county for this to go forward.

I know this is county owned land, but I also know that Jones has said he opposes a condo. So who wins out? Does Jones have any direct authority over this project?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:52 PM

It said in the article that Jones approval was not necessary, but Chastang said he would like him on board. He will need support from one of the two other commissioners to build.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonCity251 View Post
I love the design of the proposed condos. I only hope this site is developed in this way, its adds much need beauty to this part of downtown. This site is too large to be used as a Mardi Gras themed park when you have alot of other smaller vacant lots that could be used for a park. Now, both the old courthouse site and the old CSX Building site willl have retail space as well as office space, when you consider the areas where the sites are located both retail and offices can be used. The old CSX Building site, where Waterstreet Landing will stand, will be used by visitors the Maritime Center and the Criuse Terminal will bring whereas the old courthouse site development will be used by general citizens and visitors. I don't believe that the office space in these two projects will affect that of the RSA Tower. If the city plans to have 10,000 residents living downtown by 2010 both projects are needed.

Where is the Probate Court? I thought it was in the old Press-Register Building?
To say the office space will have no effects on downtown office space is premature. Mobile has not proven it can fill the RSA Tower, while maintaining current occupancy in preexisting space. Only time will tell that, and I think Mobile should hold off just a little before oversaturating the market. You want to keep things a hot commodity. I agree that there are plenty of empty lots in downtown, but the problem is very few are available for development at reasonable prices. This piece of property is owned by the county, and provides an easy transition to a park(which is still a public space). I think the property is plenty big enough for a decent sized condo tower with a smaller park/water feature. If they can squeeze in a resort swimming pool, I think they probably could have compromised and created a park on the property. They don't need Jones' approval though and so they will probably proceed however they want as long as they get 2 of 3 commisioners on board. The one thing I am 100% for in this project is the ground level retail. I think retail on that block would spur retail development along Royal and up Govt. moving away from that corner. That area has been somewhat of a gap between the Civic Center/Ft Conde area and Dauphin/Bienville. I think preserving the historical aspects on that site(Fort wall,sidewalk, and lamp post) could be done regardless of what development is done. I think that should be a stipulation on whatever project is chosen. We destroyed enough of our history in the 60's/70's. No reason to eliminate any more. It would not be a deal breaker to the developers to have these things preserved.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 9:03 PM

I really feel we're overestimating the condo market in downtown. Even Water Street Landing is a bit much to me, but now another 21 storys worth of condos? I don't like to see the lot sit and rot, but i think we should wait first and see how Water Street Landing plays out.

The building itself looks nice, very nice, but is that a pool at the bottom or is that the actual fountain? I think they could work on the bottom area, its not really park like enough, it looks like a pool resort the belongs to the condos, not the public.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxx611 View Post
The building itself looks nice, very nice, but is that a pool at the bottom or is that the actual fountain? I think they could work on the bottom area, its not really park like enough, it looks like a pool resort the belongs to the condos, not the public.
Its the fountain, which I think could be made a bit more "public space like".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxx611 View Post
I really feel we're overestimating the condo market in downtown. Even Water Street Landing is a bit much to me, but now another 21 storys worth of condos? I don't like to see the lot sit and rot, but i think we should wait first and see how Water Street Landing plays out.
You might be right, though right now we just dont know for sure. Waiting until construction has started on Water Street landing would be the most prudent thing imo.

Last edited by austin356; Mar 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 11:42 PM
Tr@nsPl@nt

Is that a private pool?!? Well I'll be damned... a big private pool in the heart of downtown!?! This land would be much better served with a condo overlooking a public park. NOT a fenced-off private pool. Come on people, can we compromise just a little... 50/50, little park here -little condo there.

Nonetheless, I think the building looks reasonably nice, reminds me of an overpriced Florida vacation, but let us not be picky.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:08 AM

I like the top...Reminds me of the GM&O. I agree though, it could use a little more Mobiliness in the design instead of its beachiness. I still really like it, though. The whole time I pictured the condos facing East for some reason. But they'd be facing South (that's the AmSouth Building in the background). Hm.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicisright View Post

I like the top...Reminds me of the GM&O. I agree though, it could use a little more Mobiliness in the design instead of its beachiness. I still really like it, though. The whole time I pictured the condos facing East for some reason. But they'd be facing South (that's the AmSouth Building in the background). Hm.
It is a nice design and I agree with the others about waiting to see how the waterfront condos sell. It is much larger than I had expected when the idea was first raised by Chestang.

I imagine this design to the south maximizes the view of the river and bay.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplnt View Post
Is that a private pool?!? Well I'll be damned... a big private pool in the heart of downtown!?!

Ok, let me say again for the 4th time. That is a public fountain.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 2:08 AM

Have they started pre-selling any units in the Water Street Landing?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 3:57 AM

Remember too that they're building the Hampton Inn right behind these condos too, so maybe we'll have some more density now in that area.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 5:53 AM
Mobile, Alabama

I see this project could move faster than Waterstreet Landing. Anyway, I last heard Waterstreet Landing was scaled back to the retail section of the project? I would rather condos on the old courthouse site than Mobile Landing, which might be a better site for a Mardi Gras themed park.

What would you'll name this project? My pick is Highland Park because I always saw this site as the highest in elevation downtown.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 1:24 PM

I would go with something to reflect that the courthouse has been in that vicinity for a couple of hundred years. Maybe something like Court Square. As for the Waterstreet Landing project, I don't see how those investors are not lsing their shirts over this deal. They paid a ton of money for the property and some more for demolition. Since they pruchased the property, construction costs have skyrocketed so much so that there original plan seems to be impossible to make moeny off of. Now they are planning on putting just retail on the site. Well that is great, but how can a retail development of that small size make back the millions spent on the property? I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys sell the property as soon as demolition is completed. That would get them back more of their money than just building a few spaces for stores and collecting rent from leases. Not being pessimistic, but I just can't see how those investors can make any money out of this situation as it is now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 4:44 PM
Closed account

Looks like a really good design. I hope that building gets built. Mobile is on the threshhold of doubling the size of its skyline that its had for years. Very exciting era for the city.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:18 PM

If they built the building facing south then all those historic things that nobody cares about will be open more to the publice and can be preserved. But still can downtown hold two large condo buildings?? It is a pretty building and the top kind of does look like the GMO, but it needs to be more histioric Mobile.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 7:47 PM

Probably not both Water Street and this one will be built at the same time. Or if they are, one of them will likely not be as tall as their original proposal.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 12:10 AM

I wish the park had a more Mardi Gras theme to it because I forget that the courthouse site is along a major stretch of Mardi Gras Parade route.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 6:17 AM

i think the design is great. the setbacks are very dramatic--very gothic. also, the gm&o-esque top is kind of florentine. it's much more attractive than i expected. in addition, the pavillion, retail, and fountain seem to offer an inviting street-level aspect. besides, we mustn't get too picky about architecture just because we're spoiled in the rsa era. let us not forget that our downtown is home to the R2D2 courthouse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast