HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Maybe there should be a thread on old Canadian stadiums, kind of like the skylines from the past thread?
I captured some aerial shots from Bing maps from most of the CFL stadiums before they were either replaced or refurbished. You can find them starting at this page and continues on the next page

Wow, that was nearly four years ago, time flies.

PS Some older stadium shots can be found at this page

Last edited by elly63; Aug 24, 2017 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 11:25 PM

While looking for that I found an old post of mine that might be interesting to some...

While thinking about the Olympic Stadium, I remembered the Bissonnette Report (on the future of the Big O) and realized I hadn't read it. The report can be downloaded here (in French of course)

The English precursor to the report, Consultation on the Future of the Olympic Park is here

Last edited by elly63; Aug 25, 2017 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I was thinking of old pics or stories like the one about Winnipeg Stadium and this one (courtesy Ab Prov archives):

https://twitter.com/provarchivesab/s...80751394177024

Except for the cars and a few houses it looks like it was built on the friggin moon. And you can see just how basic it really is - just some lame high school stands thrown up. I guess it was pretty nice back in the day but all they did over the years was expand it slightly. They really didn't make any actual improvements to it.

Still a pretty cool pic though (imo)....
I like its original design a lot. It could have been so much more with the right additions. But like my old Winnipeg Staduim. The additions were horrid and all that mattered was how many more paying tickets you could get. Not fan comphort.

However both Regina and Winnipeg have solved that with their new stadiums.

I also find it funny our two prairie provinces have the nicest stadiums ( outdoor ) in the league and then you have the others with huge cities and hodge podge stadiums like THF lol. Even Ottawas is odd looking since it was just some Reno.

I'll be excited to see what Calgary comes up with.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 1:42 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
The track doesn't impede the sight lines at all. Last I check a running track was at surface level outside the field, nothing to block your view....
But they do put spectators further away from the field.
I hate tracks around football stadiums for that reason.

Thanks for all the links to old & refurbished stadiums - I love it!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 7:57 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
From rodpederson.com

... and good riddence! lol
Are there plans for the old MS site ?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 5:27 PM

Over 41,000 at Commonwealth for the Esks/Riders game last night. Exemplifying the ssupport for all things sports in the city of Edmonton,which includes fanatic support for the Oilers as well as the recent Women's World Cup. Maybe FIFA really doesn't care about the stature of the city, or world renowned cities that say Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver may be considered, rather confidence in fan support with an undoubtably suitable stadium, both of which Edmonton satisfies. Any other city in the country at this point in time really can't say the same... I'm confident Edmonton will be chosen as one of the cities to host the World Cup of Soccer, especially because conversion back to grass playing surface wouldn't be as costly as it would for Montreal and Vancouver.

Last edited by Hackslack; Aug 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Over 41,000 at Commonwealth for the Esks/Riders game last night. Exemplifying the ssupport for all things sports in the city of Edmonton,which includes fanatic support for the Oilers as well as the recent Women's World Cup. Maybe FIFA really doesn't care about the stature of the city, or world renowned cities that say Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver may be considered, rather confidence in fan support with an undoubtably suitable stadium, both of which Edmonton satisfies. Any other city in the country at this point in time really can't say the same... I'm confident Edmonton will be chosen as one of the cities to host the World Cup of Soccer, especially because conversion back to grass playing surface wouldn't be as costly as it would for Montreal and Vancouver.

Or.. how about maybe Rider fans always historically travel well, especially the former Sask resident in Alberta who always show up in the thousands to show support during Eskies and Stamps games.

Go look at CFLdb you will see the Stamps and Eskies always get a big spike when the Riders come to town.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Or.. how about maybe Rider fans always historically travel well, especially the former Sask resident in Alberta who always show up in the thousands to show support during Eskies and Stamps games.

Go look at CFLdb you will see the Stamps and Eskies always get a big spike when the Riders come to town.
All the more reason to award the WC to Edmonton, knowing they can garner even more support from the province to the east.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 9:41 PM

^^ Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I like its original design a lot. It could have been so much more with the right additions. But like my old Winnipeg Staduim. The additions were horrid and all that mattered was how many more paying tickets you could get. Not fan comphort.

However both Regina and Winnipeg have solved that with their new stadiums.

I also find it funny our two prairie provinces have the nicest stadiums ( outdoor ) in the league and then you have the others with huge cities and hodge podge stadiums like THF lol. Even Ottawas is odd looking since it was just some Reno.

I'll be excited to see what Calgary comes up with.
That's very true, the Western CFL stadiums definitely the biggest factor in football having a foothold in professional sports in Canada and sports in general in 21st century. The Western stadiums combined capacity twice as large as Eastern fields even with recent renovations to the Ontario CFL facilities to bring them up to CFL standards, ie. BMO field.

Molson stadium in Montreal has come along way in last decade but probably since it still has track still circling playing field it must have horrible sight lines according to some.

Up next, i'm looking forward to seeing Calgary's plans for new stadium in coming years.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Molson stadium in Montreal has come along way in last decade but probably since it still has track still circling playing field it must have horrible sight lines according to some.
I've always heard they were very good.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 1:53 AM

The track at Molson Stadium is not regulation width, it's extremely narrow and is probably not suited for much more than low-level track meets. I doubt any serious competition takes place there. Because of its narrow width, I doubt it has much impact on the sightlines... the sideline areas there don't seem much wider than what you'd see elsewhere in the league. I admit it's been a few years since I was last at a game there myself, but I certainly don't remember the sightlines being an issue at Molson.

I think the issue with tracks is when you have a soccer/football team playing in a stadium designed primarily for track and field... that's when you end up with the situation of fans being a huge distance away from the field. This type of scenario simply doesn't exist in Canada... even stadiums that are capable of handling high-level competitive track events (essentially only the Big O and Commonwealth) have much narrower sidelines than this:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 11:19 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
All the more reason to award the WC to Edmonton, knowing they can garner even more support from the province to the east.
Nothing against Edmonton but there is zero "risk" of low or even lower support for a WC in any of Canada's three largest cities.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
The track doesn't impede the sight lines at all. Last I check a running track was at surface level outside the field, nothing to block your view....
When i think of bad sightlines i dont just think of my view being impeded. Distance to the field and rake of the seating bowl comes into play.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 8:17 PM
Rational urbanist

I thought maximum posts in a thread wasn't an issue anymore? There are many threads past 10,000.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 10:33 PM

Before

After

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 10:37 PM

Before

After

Last edited by elly63; Aug 29, 2017 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 10:42 PM

Before

After

Last edited by elly63; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 10:49 PM

Before

After

Last edited by elly63; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 10:52 PM

Before

After

Last edited by elly63; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 10:58 PM

Before

After

Last edited by elly63; Sep 3, 2017 at 9:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada