HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:16 PM

Le Petit

Membership approves sale of part of the building to Brennans...YAY!

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/in...pproves_s.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 9:08 PM
-

New on Bidclerk:

1584698 New Orleans, LA Municipal, Sidewalks / Parking Lot 08/17/2011
Description Plans call for a series of enhancements to the Piazza d'Italia that will encourage pedestrian traffic and visitation and allow for an active and vibrant program of events. Such programming will include concerts; farmer's markets; art shows; drama per...Click here for complete Project Details

1681383 New Orleans, LA Museum, Playgrounds / Parks / Athletic Fields 08/17/2011
Description Sealed proposals for The National World War II Museum, Phase 5: Campaigns Pavilion, New Orleans LA, will be received in the Arizona & Missouri Meeting Room on the third floor of the Louisiana Pavilion at the The National World War II Museum located a...Click here for complete Project Details

1460067 New Orleans, LA Other, Playgrounds / Parks / Athletic Fields, Golf Cour 08/16/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a sports complex in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a new miniature golf course to be built in two phases. Phase I will include infrastructure work and a small entrance building wit...Click here for complete Project Details

1366810 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential 08/16/2011
Description Tenant improvements for a residential development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the conversion of an existing nursing home into a 108-unit apartment complex for the homeless. The owner has determined a list of select general...Click here for complete Project Details

1681101 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 08/16/2011
Description Renovation of a national chain hospitality development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a 5,850-square-foot kitchen space within an existing 183,800-square-foot hotel. The owner has determined a list of select...Click here for complete Project Details

1680418 New Orleans, LA Parking Garage 08/16/2011
Description PUBLIC NOTICE Downtown Development District, New Orleans, Louisiana REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS FOR DEVELOPMENT PARTNER FOR STRUCTURED PARKING RFP - #2011-20-13 The DDD is a publicly funded entity responsible for the development and management of downtown....Click here for complete Project Details

1627252 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 08/15/2011
Description Renovation of a hotel in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the renovation of the facade, interior spaces, lobby, and club rooms and the replacement of second and third story balconies, windows, and doors. This project was presented t...Click here for complete Project Details

1678826 New Orleans, LA Retail, Other, Swimming Pools, Fitness / Rec Centers 08/12/2011
Description Bid Number: 2132-01177 Bid Opening Date: 10/10/2011 04:00:00 PM Description: New Orleans East Redevelopment Opportunity Invitation: The City seeks a qualified company to develop this site as commercial retail, film back lot, water park, amuseme...Click here for complete Project Details

Also, Theres a couple of buildings on Magazine Street right across from the DDay Museum that are being converted into apartments. They have been vacant for quite some time. Carrimi Construction is the contractor!

Also they started putting cones etc out on Loyola for streetcar construction. SO exciting!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
New on Bidclerk:
Does anyone know:

Any idea what the enhancements to the Piazza d'Italia will be? Construction timeline?

Where is this mini-golf course going? Is this the one in City Park?

Where is this 108-room apartment building for the homeless going?

Where is this new parking garage going?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:29 AM
-

Check out Downtown Development Districts new webpage! Wow really nice!

http://downtownnola.com/

Im pretty sure the mini golf is in City Park everything else I have no idea about!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:04 PM

Recent article on Audubon Building...

Former Audubon Building is being redeveloped as a New Orleans hotel

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ng_is_bei.html

He hadn't intended to buy a hotel. In New Orleans only for a day as he and his family waited out bad weather before resuming their trip home to Dallas from Florida, David Mark Wyant had only planned to take a stroll down Canal Street.

But as he passed a venerable but derelict building at the corner of Burgundy Street and noted its for sale sign, the American Airlines pilot who has developed several chain hotels decided he had to call the seller, even as he assumed the building was out of his price range.

Turns out, the price had been dropped that morning, 45 minutes before his call.

"I called my mom (his business partner) and told her to get down here," Wyant said. "We had to buy it."

The object of Wyant's acquisition was the century old Audubon Building that once housed professional offices and retail shops, but has lain empty for more than a decade.

Wyant plans to reopen it as The Saint Hotel in mid-December.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Does anyone know:

Any idea what the enhancements to the Piazza d'Italia will be? Construction timeline?

Where is this mini-golf course going? Is this the one in City Park?

Where is this 108-room apartment building for the homeless going?

Where is this new parking garage going?

The former nursing home/108-room apartment building for homeless sounds like the project on Esplanade that caused all the NIMBY controversy about a year ago. That's just a guess.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 6:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Recent article on Audubon Building...

Former Audubon Building is being redeveloped as a New Orleans hotel

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ng_is_bei.html

He hadn't intended to buy a hotel. In New Orleans only for a day as he and his family waited out bad weather before resuming their trip home to Dallas from Florida, David Mark Wyant had only planned to take a stroll down Canal Street.

But as he passed a venerable but derelict building at the corner of Burgundy Street and noted its for sale sign, the American Airlines pilot who has developed several chain hotels decided he had to call the seller, even as he assumed the building was out of his price range.

Turns out, the price had been dropped that morning, 45 minutes before his call.

"I called my mom (his business partner) and told her to get down here," Wyant said. "We had to buy it."

The object of Wyant's acquisition was the century old Audubon Building that once housed professional offices and retail shops, but has lain empty for more than a decade.

Wyant plans to reopen it as The Saint Hotel in mid-December.

Additional article about the restaurant inside:

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...fus_to_op.html

New hotel to open in Audubon Building space
by David Muller, Staff Writer

August 16th, 2011 · Blog
A new hotel will be opening in the former Audubon Building space at Canal and Burgundy streets, with the specific date to be revealed Thursday.
The Saint Hotel, the result of a $45 million renovation project by owner David Mark Wyant, will have 166 rooms on eight floors. It will also have a restaurant named Sweet Olive, a live jazz spot dubbed Burgundy Bar and a rooftop bar and lounge called Halo.

Barbara Buzzell, who’s handling public relations for the project, said room rates or further details will not be released until Thursday, when a 50-foot by 50-foot banner will be unfurled across its façade, announcing when the doors will officially open. That will happen sometime between 8 a.m. and noon, Buzzell said.

Wyant bought the property for $5.5 million in June 2010 with plans to turn the 131,000 square-foot building into a boutique hotel.

Last edited by tennis1400; Aug 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 8:26 PM

Cool concepual high rise condos

Project Type Demolition
New Construction
Site Work
Building Use Medical
Multi-Residential
Retail
Reported 08/18/2011
Status Conceptual
Sector Private
Location New Orleans, LA

Est. Start Date August 2012
Documents (2)
Map
Aerial Photo

Project Description
Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the construction of several new buildings on the site of a former high school campus, including high-rise condos, boutiques, a medical facility ...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 8:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Project Type Demolition
New Construction
Site Work
Building Use Medical
Multi-Residential
Retail
Reported 08/18/2011
Status Conceptual
Sector Private
Location New Orleans, LA

Est. Start Date August 2012
Documents (2)
Map
Aerial Photo

Project Description
Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the construction of several new buildings on the site of a former high school campus, including high-rise condos, boutiques, a medical facility ...
No one can ever figure out where this is !

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 10:01 PM

New Orleans officials press for major expansion of Louis Armstrong airport

Aiming to improve the look and efficiency of Louis Armstrong International Airport as a means of enticing new businesses to New Orleans, top aides to Mayor Mitch Landrieu on Thursday asked the airport's board of directors to quickly analyze a pair of options that could result in a $1 billion expansion of the current facility.

The alternatives, already laid out in the airport's long-term strategic plan, include expanding the airfield by building new terminals southwest of the site, or constructing a brand-new main terminal on airport-owned property between the current airport and Canal No. 14.

Link

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
Aiming to improve the look and efficiency of Louis Armstrong International Airport as a means of enticing new businesses to New Orleans, top aides to Mayor Mitch Landrieu on Thursday asked the airport's board of directors to quickly analyze a pair of options that could result in a $1 billion expansion of the current facility.

The alternatives, already laid out in the airport's long-term strategic plan, include expanding the airfield by building new terminals southwest of the site, or constructing a brand-new main terminal on airport-owned property between the current airport and Canal No. 14.

Link

Exciting that someone is finally talking about this. I've said for years, New Orleans needs a new, modern airport in order to grow as a city. From talking to people and reading this article, the options I see are:

1. Brand-new airport between NOLA and BR, or on the Westbank, or in New Orleans East (I hate the first two, but I'd be ok if it were in New Orleans East and had rail to downtown).

2. Major expansion of the existing airport on the southwest side of the existing terminal (good, because it would bring the terminal very close to the train tracks, making it easy to start rail service to downtown, but bad because this is the area currently being renovated, and would have to be torn down).

3. New main terminal on the North side of the existing airport. (Interesting idea, would bring the terminal closer to Veterans Blvd, and the airport access road could be rerouted from the interstate to the north side and connect with Loyola Dr., but the downside is that the new terminal would be away from the train tracks, so probably never rail service to downtown).

4. Major expansion of the Lakefront Airport (fantasy of mine but will never, ever happen.)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:21 AM

How does the current expansion/redo fit into the long-term plans? Would love a new terminal, but seems like a waste to go ahead with current plan for just a few years of use.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Exciting that someone is finally talking about this. I've said for years, New Orleans needs a new, modern airport in order to grow as a city. From talking to people and reading this article, the options I see are:

1. Brand-new airport between NOLA and BR, or on the Westbank, or in New Orleans East (I hate the first two, but I'd be ok if it were in New Orleans East and had rail to downtown).

2. Major expansion of the existing airport on the southwest side of the existing terminal (good, because it would bring the terminal very close to the train tracks, making it easy to start rail service to downtown, but bad because this is the area currently being renovated, and would have to be torn down).

3. New main terminal on the North side of the existing airport. (Interesting idea, would bring the terminal closer to Veterans Blvd, and the airport access road could be rerouted from the interstate to the north side and connect with Loyola Dr., but the downside is that the new terminal would be away from the train tracks, so probably never rail service to downtown).

4. Major expansion of the Lakefront Airport (fantasy of mine but will never, ever happen.)
The article says that MSY has 80% of the state's enplanements. We actually have an extremely high amount of origin and destination traffic for a city our size, which means that probably 60% or thereabouts of our state air traffic is tourists coming in or out of NOLA. This means that an airport for BR's use too is more BR boosterism than reality. I agree with you that the east would be a good location, but where would you put it, exactly? Really wondering, as it seems that most large enough parcels of land, even out there, are either already developed or part of the Bayou Sauvage NWR, which I'm assuming is untouchable.

I'm thinking they could somehow work out the track problem with a north terminal for a train, which I seriously hope they're considering. We're the Paris of the new world, damn it, there's no reason why the old one should have good public transit and we should just have a smattering of streetcars.

On the Lakefront idea... I'm wondering if the FAA would allow a new airport like that... There are a lot of major waterfront airports such as SAN, SFO, OAK, and JFK but I'm thinking our slight and infrequent problem with a bit of wind (joking) might be a problem for something like that, whether at NEW or a new airport in the East.

Kind of typing as I think so forgive me for rambling, the part about 60% I just came up with.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:11 AM
-

I agree that St Charles Parish is the farthest west a new airport should be able to go and that New Orleans East could be possible since its got land and airport access. Plus the landscape seems less swampy. Perhaps being closer to the Gulf Coast they could contribute as well!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:06 AM

I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about this airport plan. Some of it seems like a big boondoggle to me.

The current renovations will make the main terminal building and baggage claim feel much more modern and open. Additionally, Concourses C and D are relatively new and in good condition. There is also the fact that an additional 6 gates will open on D next month. The only part of the plan I like would be to build a new concourse to the west of Concourse D. They could then demolish the older Concourse B although I actually like the retro feel in B. The other change would be to add connectors between the concourses and move more concessions behind security. This could be done fairly easily in the current layout for C & D. You also have to consider that a new Consolidated Rental Car Facility is being built near the west side of the terminal. It only makes sense to keep the terminal near this facility.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:12 AM

One between BR and NOLA wouldn't be that great of an idea. Much farther than MSY, and much farther than BTR for BR residents.

Maybe if rail connects the two cites, and it would most likely be in St. James parish, but wasn't that shot down?

Upgrade MSY or the Lakefront Airport and let BR upgrade BTR later.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about this airport plan. Some of it seems like a big boondoggle to me.

The current renovations will make the main terminal building and baggage claim feel much more modern and open. Additionally, Concourses C and D are relatively new and in good condition. There is also the fact that an additional 6 gates will open on D next month. The only part of the plan I like would be to build a new concourse to the west of Concourse D. They could then demolish the older Concourse B although I actually like the retro feel in B. The other change would be to add connectors between the concourses and move more concessions behind security. This could be done fairly easily in the current layout for C & D. You also have to consider that a new Consolidated Rental Car Facility is being built near the west side of the terminal. It only makes sense to keep the terminal near this facility.
Agreed. I think the best solution is a new terminal to the west, that uses C & D as two terminals, and the rest of the existing airport is demolished. That way, the new rental car facility and parking garages are put to good use and the rail line can be utilized. From looking at a google map, there doesn't seem like too much would have to be moved for this proposal.

On another note, New Orleans is finally considering what to do with the CBD on the other side of Loyola Avenue. Pro-active urban planning? Am I looking at the correct city's newspaper?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._plan_for.html

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:34 AM
TL;DR

For a fraction of the cost of a new St. Charles airport, the state government could upgrade the KCS rail line to high speeds with a large Baton Rouge parking garage/dropoff point. At 110mph the trip would be only ~50 minutes.

As for the new terminals - I'm fully in support of the north side terminal. Indianapolis did a similar move a few years ago. The new terminal is a model of efficiency and since it was all planned as a unit, it was built quickly and functions perfectly. Working around the existing terminal complex would be messy and complicated. Plus, the north side has far better access to I-10.

Rail access is more challenging, but it is possible to build a very short tunnel beneath the main runway to accommodate four lanes of traffic and two sets of tracks. (The Harvey and Belle Chasse Tunnels were built successfully)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
No one can ever figure out where this is !
This is for the conceptual reuse of the Holy Cross campus.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post

Link

More details from today's TP

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations