HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A few collaborative works does not make them part of the same scene.

I don't doubt that things have maybe improved slightly, but anglo musicians and music fans (even in Montreal) are famous for ignoring music produced in French as if it wasn't "real music".

I mean, you can go to a francophone music concert in Montreal (name any genre you want) with a couple thousand people and not hear a SINGLE person speaking English during the entire evening.

BTW, Vincent Vallières is number three on the cross-Canada charts this week:

http://www.billboard.com/charts/canadian-albums

Maybe some of you guys should check him out...
The Anglo indie scene in Montreal is internationally important and famous, but I’m just not sure how it interacts with the Francophone community in Montreal. I remember hearing a live broadcast of a Dan Bejar show in a club there and it seemed to me there was a lot of French in the background, and if they’re coming out to see him to me that means they’re interested in good music period. But it is such a diverse community from all over the place - Purity Ring (Edmonton), Mac DeMarco (Edmonton), Braids (Calgary), The Besnard Lakes (Regina and BC), Handsome Furs (BC), Colin Stetson (Michigan?), Merrill Garbus (Vermont), The Barr Brothers (New England), Amon Tobin (Brazil), etc. etc. – that I think it’s a good question how well they’re accepted, and who is accepted by whom. I noticed that the Barr Brothers are doing a tour into some very French parts of Quebec, but they’re very acoustic and folky.
http://thebarrbrothers.com/on-tour/

I will check out Vincent Vallières, btw.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
Just for trivia’s sake how many other bands with connections to both cities can you name? I’ve got one more off the top of my head, and three if you want to cheat and stretch the boundaries to include Guelph.
Well Valley of the Giants had Torontonians (Canning and Spearin, both of Broken Social Scene) and Montrealers (Seck and Trudeau of Godspeed..).

There are about a half dozen members of Broken Social Scene who lived in Montreal at one point or another (most of whom are also members of Metric or Stars).

The Stills, The Dears and Bell Orchestre (a couple of whom are Arcade Fire members) are all signed to Kevin Drew's Toronto-based indie label, Arts & Crafts.

Seems to me like there's a relationship there, at least within the greater Broken Social Scene/Metric/Stars/Feist/Apostle of Hustle/Valley of Giants network. Perhaps not so much Montreal musicians coming to Toronto, but Toronto musicians going to Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
The Anglo indie scene in Montreal is internationally important and famous, but I’m just not sure how it interacts with the Francophone community in Montreal. I remember hearing a live broadcast of a Dan Bejar show in a club there and it seemed to me there was a lot of French in the background, and if they’re coming out to see him to me that means they’re interested in good music period. But it is such a diverse community from all over the place - Purity Ring (Edmonton), Mac DeMarco (Edmonton), Braids (Calgary), The Besnard Lakes (Regina and BC), Handsome Furs (BC), Colin Stetson (Michigan?), Merrill Garbus (Vermont), The Barr Brothers (New England), Amon Tobin (Brazil), etc. etc. – that I think it’s a good question how well they’re accepted, and who is accepted by whom. I noticed that the Barr Brothers are doing a tour into some very French parts of Quebec, but they’re very acoustic and folky.
http://thebarrbrothers.com/on-tour/

I will check out Vincent Vallières, btw.
There's always been interest on the part of francophones for bands and artists producing music in English, be they from Quebec, other parts of Canada or other countries.

It's the other direction that's more... um... let's say it's less enthuastic.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Well Valley of the Giants had Torontonians (Canning and Spearin, both of Broken Social Scene) and Montrealers (Seck and Trudeau of Godspeed..).

There are about a half dozen members of Broken Social Scene who lived in Montreal at one point or another (most of whom are also members of Metric or Stars).

The Stills, The Dears and Bell Orchestre (a couple of whom are Arcade Fire members) are all signed to Kevin Drew's Toronto-based indie label, Arts & Crafts.

Seems to me like there's a relationship there, at least within the greater Broken Social Scene/Metric/Stars/Feist/Apostle of Hustle/Valley of Giants network. Perhaps not so much Montreal musicians coming to Toronto, but Toronto musicians going to Montreal.
Valley of the Giants is a good one. I’ll give that to you without checking it out, just because you’ve heard of them. I don’t think being signed to a label like Arts and Crafts is enough, so I’m not going to give you The Stills, The Dears, or Bell Orchestre. There is definitely a connection to Montreal with BSS and Do Make Say Think (not sure if they ever lived in Montreal, but it would makes sense) and all their associated artists in the post-rock scene.

I’ll give you a Montreal band that moved to Toronto. YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN, (new album out soon). The Guelph ones I was thinking about were Doldrums, who I believe is essentially Airick Woodhead, who was also a member of Spiral Beach, and the other one is a bit obscure, The Constantines. They apparently moved to Montreal briefly about the time when they were “taking a break”. I’m not positive that all of them moved, however. Doldrums is one of the Montreal bands Grimes talks up quite a bit btw. T

Time to do some work. I'm out.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There's always been interest on the part of francophones for bands and artists producing music in English, be they from Quebec, other parts of Canada or other countries.

It's the other direction that's more... um... let's say it's less enthuastic.
Then they’re greatly missing out. I have to say that from my time visiting Montreal from Ottawa I found a lot of those old Anglo Montreal attitudes very strange. I met people who had lived their whole life in Montreal and couldn’t speak or understand French. (!?) I met other who could understand it perfectly, but who refused to speak even a word of it. (!?) I came to understand that there were some deeply rooted issues there that I clearly didn’t understand.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am going to start a Bridging the Solitudes series here. Songs in French by artists you know, or collaborations between anglophone and francophone artists, or whatever.

Anyway, here is the first one.

David Usher from Moist with Marie-Mai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK1zE7XAMxQ

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Perhaps the most handsome couple in Canadian music: Corey Hart and Julie Masse. Singing a classic pop song from France (originally done by Jean-Jacques Goldman and France Gall):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLuz6-88_aY

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Former Styx frontman Dennis DeYoung with Quebec rocker Éric Lapointe. If Lapointe looks stoned it's cause he probably is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-y-2MTYZc

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Hedley and Andrée-Anne Leclerc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK9Anv6V6l4

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Big Sugar singing in French all by themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezr5KUyHucc

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Remember this guy? His big splash in the ROC in the 80s and 90s went totally unnnoticed in Quebec. And then a few years ago some DJ in Quebec discovered his music and started playing it, and things took off from there. He's had a very lucrative second career in Quebec basically with the exact same material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paKxsseRrCM

Although he's also done a remake of a classic 70s Quebec hippie song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLFIDL0jkd8

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Bilingual version of Bruises by Train with young Quebec singer Marilou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYNBueKgxM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Canadian/Quebecois answer to Paul McCartney?
Michel Pagliaro
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Pag was from Montreal, Edward Bear was from Toronto. Quentin Tarantino called them the Canadian Beatles:
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:59 PM

Groenland, another great Montreal band

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 1:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Pag was from Montreal, Edward Bear was from Toronto. Quentin Tarantino called them the Canadian Beatles:
Quentin Tarantino knows Pag????

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 1:06 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Time for obscure Canadian music.

Sect is a band of four from Canada that only released one album in UK. Got some play in the booming rave scene there but still an obscure name. Nice music though.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Quentin Tarantino knows Pag????
I presume not. But he was a huge fan of Edward Bear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bear

Pag is underrated in my opinion. Great 70s tunage.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I presume not. But he was a huge fan of Edward Bear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bear

Pag is underrated in my opinion. Great 70s tunage.
I had heard of Edward Bear, but up until two minutes ago I thought it was one guy and not a band...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 4:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Time for obscure Canadian music.

Sect is a band of four from Canada that only released one album in UK. Got some play in the booming rave scene there but still an obscure name. Nice music though.

Video Link
i think i want to rip this to reel to reel know were i can get better quality file?

(yes i have reel to reel tape machean a 78 sony tc-645)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada