HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:13 PM

Union Station's biggest sin is the Amshack that you have to use to if you are actually going to board a train there. It's really just an escaped Grayhound station hiding out behind a fantastic building.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Union Station's biggest sin is the Amshack that you have to use to if you are actually going to board a train there. It's really just an escaped Grayhound station hiding out behind a fantastic building.
This. At least the platform level for 30th st isn't used to hold passengers, so you don't see much of it.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:07 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Outside of updating some of the newer signage and replacing curtains, I’d hate for someone to mess with 30th Street Station. The main hall is basically unchanged since construction and I’d scream at the notion of removing the benches to make it “open concept” (I hate that term)….because outside of that, what would you do to make it “not tired”?

(p.s. I think you picked the worst possible photo for this comparison)

(credit: Damon Landry)
I love 30th Street Station - sure, there can always be improvements, but that Union Station pic is also the entry hall/part of the mall part, which is lovely. BUT, the section where you actually catch trains - it being an actual train station/transit hub - is ugly, awful, and congested. And I'd rather wait for a train in the Men's Room at 30th Street than the Amtrak Lounge at Union Station any day - it's dreadful.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 10:26 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
As I've argued before, Thomas Paine Plaza's worst sin is its very existence. You can't have Love Park AND Dillworth Plaza AND Thomas Paine Plaza AND expect them to all be highly trafficked. We don't have that sort of population density to keep three plazas - all within one block of each other - populated. And an empty windswept park is a magnet for homeless and hoodlums. The best thing the city can do is demolish the park and permit some sort of development here.

Re the Parkway, I was just there and played Frogger trying to get from Fairmount Ave to the Schuylkill Banks Trail. Ended up taking a very circuitous route that took far longer than necessary. Parkway could be vastly improved for pedestrians for not a lot of money if the following improvements were made:

1) Demarcate direct pedestrian routes from the various points of interest along the Parkway and place signage to help direct pedestrians figure out how to get from Point A to Point B. Even for a life long resident, I find getting around the Parkway to be extremely confusing and difficult. For example, the crossing between the Art Museum and Eakins Oval should really be moved to the center, directly at the bottom of the steps and the Washington statue and fountain. This is the more "natural" path and in fact is where many people cross anyway (at their own peril). And then once you're on the Oval, you're on your own to so to speak in terms to figuring out how to navigate to City Hall, the Schuylkill Trail, the various museums, etc.

2) Fix the traffic lights so that way you can cross an intersection in one light cycle. Again, I'll use the highly trafficked crossing between the Art Museum and Eakins Oval as an example. Like many intersections along the Parkway, these two points of interest are separated by a traffic island. Each traffic cycle permits pedestrians to go from the Parkway to the island - wait - and then from the island to the Oval. In addition to its off-center location, the annoying traffic light setup is probably why so many people dart across the Parkway between the stairs and the statue/fountain.

These suggestions don't require massive construction or millions of dollars.
Not sure if you've ever been in Municipal Services Building, but it would likely be extremely difficult to do anything with Thomas Paine Plaza because there's essentially a giant concourse underneath the plaza.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
I disagree with you about Union Station - not that they're removed the restaurant from the main hall and finished up the renovations, the station is truly amazing. 30th Street is also gorgeous, but I think the huge advertisements hanging from the walls really detract from the elegance.

Here's a pic of the renovated Union Station:

When were these renovations completed? I'll admit that I haven't been inside of Union Station since 2010, when I was on a school trip during my freshman year of high school (to eat at a restaurant, coincidentally).

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Good points but you forgot Grand Central which is, IMO, the winner. I also agree that Union Station is an amazing structure that does not at all feel to me like a food court.
I agree with you on the point that Grand Central is the winner, but only when comparing it to all train stations within the United States. My OP was concerned with the best stations on the NEC, which, IMO, 30th Street easily wins. I've been to all of the major stations on the NEC (BOS, NYP, PHL, and WAS) with the exception of Baltimore, along with a few secondary ones (Providence, RI; Newark, NJ; and Wilmington, DE), and 30th Street still comes out on top for me. The only thing that will make it better is the realization of Schuylkill Yards and the 30th Street Station District Plan,along with a few strategic renovations.

The only disadvantage that 30th Street has is being located outside of the traditional CBD. Luckily, a few forward-thinking developers are engaging in place-making around the area, which will improve the user experience when it is all realized.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
When were these renovations completed? I'll admit that I haven't been inside of Union Station since 2010, when I was on a school trip during my freshman year of high school (to eat at a restaurant, coincidentally).
This is the entrance area of Union Station, and it is beautiful. It is also a small portion of the total station and not where you actually catch the trains. I suppose the stores are something to aspire to for 30th Street, but the existing iteration of 30th Street's main halls are vastly superior to the main waiting hall/food court/train area of Union Station. I frequently travel between the two for work.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGreeneNY View Post
I love 30th Street Station - sure, there can always be improvements, but that Union Station pic is also the entry hall/part of the mall part, which is lovely. BUT, the section where you actually catch trains - it being an actual train station/transit hub - is ugly, awful, and congested. And I'd rather wait for a train in the Men's Room at 30th Street than the Amtrak Lounge at Union Station any day - it's dreadful.
Missed this post, but I just posted basically the same thing. Completely agree.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 4:56 PM

While I haven't had much experience with train stations, I will definitely agree that Grand Central is #1. 30th is nice, I just wish they wouldn't remove the old-fashioned schedule. That, and the ads are bad. It seems as though the older train stations are the nicest. I've never been to Union Station, but it looks spectacular.

And I think we can all agree that Penn Station in NY is one of, if not the, worst.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:40 PM

Just got word Drexel will be demolishing Myers hall in the summer to make way for more green space on campus.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
Just got word Drexel will be demolishing Myers hall in the summer to make way for more green space on campus.
Like Drexel doesn't have enough damn green space?? Why don't they demolish it and build a new building there?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Like Drexel doesn't have enough damn green space??
here's a guy who never went to Drexel University

(protip from an alumnus: don't go to Drexel University)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Like Drexel doesn't have enough damn green space?? Why don't they demolish it and build a new building there?
They are building plenty of new housing, and a major complaint from Drexel students since I went there in 03-08 was always that the campus sucked ass.

Plus, myer's was supposed to be torn down in like 1973 cause was only supposed to be temporary housing structure. I remember my days in there and it smelling constantly like mildew.

Tear it down, give us some good green space to placate students and neighbors, and build the shit out of drexel yards along market.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoteat View Post
here's a guy who never went to Drexel University

(protip from an alumnus: don't go to Drexel University)
yeah drexel isn't known for being a leafy campus at all.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
You've gone building crazy! haha. Relax, as others have pointed out, Drexel's campus has a famous lack of green space even for an inner city college campus and they've recently built on some of the space they had. Getting rid of this outdated dump and creating a nice green space sounds like a great idea.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:46 PM
Future World Dictator

Drexel's problem, IMO, is that there's no sense of planning to their campus... at all. There's some green space there, sure, but it doesn't really feel connected to anything, or like it's particularly usable (outside of Drexel Park, which is nice but still feels disconnected). Things have gotten better with their newer stuff, but they still need a lot of work to really make their campus as good as it can be.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:17 AM

Walked by the Hale building today and saw dust billowing out of the open doors from the demo going on inside

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Walked by the Hale building today and saw dust billowing out of the open doors from the demo going on inside
yes worked restarted about 2 weeks back.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Oh God yes. This. Union station is a lovely shopping mall but a horrible train station. It really isn't in the same class as stations like Grand Central and 30th street. Even NY Penn Station is more functional. It's a nice building for sure (and I'd say it's a tossup between 30th St and Union) but the tiny fraction of the building that's actually used as a train station is horribly organized and not that nice.

Grand Central still wins at this one, but 30th is definitely top tier.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:56 PM
Fishtown & Country

Tuesday, 3/21 - Girard & Leopard, Fishtown

Race, between 3rd & 4th, Old City -

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development