HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:03 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I wonder if the feds will deregister before selling. I imagine in this case that the site is worth much more as a redevelopment site than as a heritage building with lots of deferred maintenance.

Not to say that the site couldn't be restored, and even have new development integrated with the existing building (I quite like the building). But yeah, if they're looking for top dollar I can see the heritage designation getting in the way.
it wont, since it falls outside a conservation district. they can demolish it as of right in year 3. the buyer, if they are smart will apply for demo the day they take ownership, so they can knock it down the minute the plans are finalized.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:32 PM

I don't know if the same municipal regulations exist for the "Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office" recognized buildings, which the Ralston Building falls under. Apparently if a recognized building is transferred to a Crown corporation (for example Canada Lands Company) then it loses its heritage designation:
"And if a federal building is transferred to a Crown corporation it loses its heritage designation entirely." - (source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4197241/). However, the article from which this is sourced is from Dec 25, 2011 so maybe the regulations have changed?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:13 PM

A new anti-development group emerges...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3322675/ha...d-development/

Quote:
A Halifax group is asking council to “play by the rules” in an open letter provided to reporters at a press conference on Monday.

It’s regarding a 29-storey mixed-used building proposed for the corner of Robie Street and Quinpool Road.

Willow Tree Group claimed that the APL Properties (an Armco Capital company) building would negatively impact wind flow and real estate in the area, among other issues.

The only thing I can say good about them is that at least they aren't calling themselves "Friends of the Willow Tree".

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The only thing I can say good about them is that at least they aren't calling themselves "Friends of the Willow Tree".
Don't give them any ideas; that is such a catchy name.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:49 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
A new anti-development group emerges...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3322675/ha...d-development/

they arnt new. they have been around for a while, and i suspect they morphed out of friends of the commons.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:06 PM

I would love to see the membership rolls of all these different groups. For example, the Coalition for Responsible Development of HRM includes:
  1. Bloomfield Neighbourhood Residents Association
  2. Coalition for Safer and Healthy Communities of Preston, Mineville, Lake Echo and Porters Lake
  3. Ecology Action Centre: Built Environment Committee
  4. Friends of the Halifax Common
  5. Friends of Linden Lea
  6. Friends of Schmidtville
  7. Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia
  8. North End Community Health Centre
  9. Our Chebucto Neighbourhood
  10. Park to Park Community Association
  11. Peninsula South Community Association
  12. Rockwood Community Association
  13. Willow Tree Group
  14. Wyse Society for Sensible Urban Development

It seems to me Bloomfield, EAC, NECHC are all real things. But how much does membership overlap between the other groups? How can you find out who is involved with each group?

Here is Willow Tree from their website (is this doxxing? Please let me know if this is ok)
"Our core group of unpaid volunteers includes Andrea Arbic, Peggy Cameron, Kathy Moggridge, Andrew Murphy, Steve Parcell, Candace Stevenson, Janet Stevenson, and Grant Wanzel."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
Here is Willow Tree from their website (is this doxxing? Please let me know if this is ok)
"Our core group of unpaid volunteers includes Andrea Arbic, Peggy Cameron, Kathy Moggridge, Andrew Murphy, Steve Parcell, Candace Stevenson, Janet Stevenson, and Grant Wanzel."

Otherwise known as "the usual suspects".

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 11:16 PM

Federal heritage designation doesn't transfer to properties once the federal government sells it. Often what happens is that, as a condition of sale, the new owner has to seek municipal or provincial registration. No idea what the decision is about the Ralston.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
I would love to see the membership rolls of all these different groups. For example, the Coalition for Responsible Development of HRM includes:
  1. Bloomfield Neighbourhood Residents Association
  2. Coalition for Safer and Healthy Communities of Preston, Mineville, Lake Echo and Porters Lake
  3. Ecology Action Centre: Built Environment Committee
  4. Friends of the Halifax Common
  5. Friends of Linden Lea
  6. Friends of Schmidtville
  7. Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia
  8. North End Community Health Centre
  9. Our Chebucto Neighbourhood
  10. Park to Park Community Association
  11. Peninsula South Community Association
  12. Rockwood Community Association
  13. Willow Tree Group
  14. Wyse Society for Sensible Urban Development

It seems to me Bloomfield, EAC, NECHC are all real things. But how much does membership overlap between the other groups? How can you find out who is involved with each group?

All Dippers. Many make the ludicrous claim that foreign speculative money is responsible for the apartments/condos. I doubt they can read a balance sheet...... on the other hand they may believe that Russian money is influencing our elections. Unions pumped over $5,000 into one candidate in my district, the largest single donation in the 2016 HRM election .... he garnered 336 votes. Fools and their money are.......

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
All Dippers. Many make the ludicrous claim that foreign speculative money is responsible for the apartments/condos. I doubt they can read a balance sheet...... on the other hand they may believe that Russian money is influencing our elections. Unions pumped over $5,000 into one candidate in my district, the largest single donation in the 2016 HRM election .... he garnered 336 votes. Fools and their money are.......
You're conflating political inclination with sentiment on development. I know loads of people from all across the spectrum who hold basically identical views on development when it encroaches on their own backyard. Nothing to do with being "dippers".

You're right that some people (bizarrely) believe foreign money is influencing the Halifax real estate market in some significant way, but I've never heard anyone talk about Russian influence on Canadian elections.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
You're conflating political inclination with sentiment on development. I know loads of people from all across the spectrum who hold basically identical views on development when it encroaches on their own backyard. Nothing to do with being "dippers".

You're right that some people (bizarrely) believe foreign money is influencing the Halifax real estate market in some significant way, but I've never heard anyone talk about Russian influence on Canadian elections.
The groups and individuals who show up and oppose the great majority of proposals are predominantly 'dippers'. Some of them now use part of an email I wrote about future HRM growth and expected development and now use one part of a sentence in pamphlet, and I have heard it quoted in a Q & A at a planning meeting - only the bits that suit a particular narrative. The Willow Tree group are fond of the 'foreign money' meme and put it in their 1 page rant last year.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:56 PM

Google Earth now has Halifax in 3D!!!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:19 PM

The detail is amazing. It was almost as impressive as the first time I looked at google earth. They did such a good job at full zoom. I spend almost as much time inspecting the ships in port as I do the city. Tower cranes pose a problem for their sticking algorithm though!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:41 PM

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:46 PM

^^^ Where is this?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
^^^ Where is this?
Strictly a guess on this one but is it in the Hydrostone?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:20 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerStreet View Post
Strictly a guess on this one but is it in the Hydrostone?
It definitely is, right next to the newer building with the Starbucks.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:09 PM

A lot of work happening on the Ralston Building. My understanding is they are removing the stone cladding to prepare the building for sale.

Let's hope it doesn't remain with this ugly corrugated metal for long.

20170330_124822 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:58 PM

That truly is hideous, and I assume the whole building will be clad in corrugated metal.

I wonder what they are doing with the stone that they are taking off.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 12:23 AM

The stone would be pockmarked with holes from the reinforcing bars they added some years ago so I wonder if it has any value now.

Of course they probably could attach it to that ugly corrugated metal quite easily.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth