HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 1:20 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

If you look wayyy back.

Vike had a great idea about putting Ikea inside the top floors of the Downtown Bay.

I doubt it would ever be considered, but that's the only way i'll ever grow to like Ikea.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 2:15 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
If you look wayyy back.

Vike had a great idea about putting Ikea inside the top floors of the Downtown Bay.

I doubt it would ever be considered, but that's the only way i'll ever grow to like Ikea.
It would never be considered.

IKEA builds pretty much cookie-cutter locations these days.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 3:13 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
A friend of mine's finace worked at the city planning, property and development department this past summer on a work term and apparently IKEA has a long term plan (5 years or so) to build a store that will anchor some new development near Waverly West. It had something to do with the future extension of Kenaston to the perimeter. Anyway, this is a solid source, so apparently there is a little fuel to the rumours...
Someone on another forum mentioned that they have a source from this site that the development will actually be a Lowe's.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 3:10 PM
The Loyal Opposition

After much thought yesterday evening, my pessimistic view of human nature is leading me to believe that an Ikea would bring more visitors to Winnipeg than the Human Rights Museum would.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 3:56 PM
the first stamp is free

^ well if nothing else, while they are here to see the CMHR it would allow them to fill their needs for cutting boards, awesome cheese graters and pine furniture...

In all seriousness, it would be a pretty big draw for all communities in MB, Eastern SK, NWO, and maybe ND (although Americans would probably be better off just going to Minneapolis...).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 3:58 PM

^^^I am disturbed to admit that I have purchased all three!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 4:31 PM

well, i've been at work now for 3 1/2 hours and the people at the coffee machine are talking about it, the people in the cafeteria are talking about and the people in the washroom are talking about. I think i need to spend more time in my cubicle and less time visiting these area

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 5:33 PM

what is with the infatuation with IKEA? My girlfriend loves it, and it is garbage, recycled sawdust, garbage.
I just don't get it...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:03 PM
I am a typical

It's cheap, and looks European.

I don't know about Winnipeg but Thunder Bay already has import stores that sell this stuff, the only difference is it costs more money and is well built. (IE, authentic.) Ikea has to be ordered through the counter at a laundromat in Jumbo Gardens!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Regina View Post
what is with the infatuation with IKEA? My girlfriend loves it, and it is garbage, recycled sawdust, garbage.
I just don't get it...
Looks like your gf will be wanting to drag you five hours east when the store is built

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:19 PM

The buzz this store creates is ridiculous. It'll be great for Winnipeg. I like Ikea just because I find the woman in this commercial absolutely hilarious (and I usually despise nearly every commercial out there):

edit: Okay, I fail at posting youtube videos. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7oqXewyCE

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 5:29 AM
Dreamer

I'm all for it ... and love it. I eat there with my kids for the $1 breakfast on a bi-monthly basis. We also have IKEA furnishings dating back 10 yrs that are holding up well. Our Kitchen is IKEA and apparently our cork IKEA flooring looks better than some more recent installs. All I am saying is that they do sell some crap, but there are well-designed quality items there as well ... as far as having it in Wpg is concerned, it will be nice having the choice.

When I move back from Calgary to Winnipeg, I want IKEA to be there!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
I'm all for it ... and love it. I eat there with my kids for the $1 breakfast on a bi-monthly basis. We also have IKEA furnishings dating back 10 yrs that are holding up well. Our Kitchen is IKEA and apparently our cork IKEA flooring looks better than some more recent installs. All I am saying is that they do sell some crap, but there are well-designed quality items there as well ... as far as having it in Wpg is concerned, it will be nice having the choice.

When I move back from Calgary to Winnipeg, I want IKEA to be there!
Careful! That kind of talk around here may get you banned from the Man/Sask forum. Or some people may even get together to stop you from entering the city when you move back .

For whatever reason, there are quite a few on here that just have a hate on for Ikea. Apparently, Wal-Mart provides items of equal or better quality . I too have an IKEA kitchen (cabinets and doors, not the counter tops). With a 15 year warranty, how could you really go wrong?? Good luck getting that kind of warranty with Kitchen Craft.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 3:43 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
For whatever reason, there are quite a few on here that just have a hate on for Ikea.
It's not just IKEA. Many in Winnipeg have a dislike/fear for things like:

NHL
Freeways with interchanges
Tall skyscrapers being built in Winnipeg (maybe to a lesser degree)
LRT

I've never understood this myself.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 9:46 PM
Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post

NHL
LRT

I wouldn't necessarily call some of these things (eg. LRT, grade separations) dislikes but it's the 'fear of short term construction cost' that keeps things on the cheap. Also 'fearing change', as Winnipeg tends to have a much higher proportion of its citizens that have never lived in a more 'progressive' city, thus only knowing a certain way of doing things and a fear of looking new approaches.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 4:31 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post

NHL
LRT

I agree with you completely.

It hard to figure ... sometimes its little short of frustrating.

While I am not a fan of unassemebled furniture.. I think its great that Winnipeg will be gaining a destination retailer. If one takes Calgary's Ikea as an example .. it is common to see many cars from out of the province in the parking lot. This does not include the many vehiciles from outside of the Calgary region.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 4:49 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call some of these things (eg. LRT, grade separations) dislikes but it's the 'fear of short term construction cost' that keeps things on the cheap. Also 'fearing change', as Winnipeg tends to have a much higher proportion of its citizens that have never lived in a more 'progressive' city, thus only knowing a certain way of doing things and a fear of looking new approaches.

Some enterprising types consider this a huge opportunity ... when there are a an abundance of people who are "fear/risk adverse" than there are many great opportunities for those who are willing to accept those risks. Of course that will leave the non-risk takers complaining that they missed out.

Of course when this risk problem is passed onto the city as a whole and results in significant undeniable concerns. An example is abnormal levels of turned down developments ... and a city which seems to be playing catchup.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 3:26 PM
visionary

well if Ikea is serious then its high time for the city and province to draft a tax structure that promotes multi-level buildings that would generally compete with cheaper land values in the suburbs.

Perhaps add another tax incentive to make multi storey buildings mix use where retail would be on the ground floor then offices and residential would be up on the upper levels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One can make a case with the goverments and developers that walkability is the way to go in all regions of the city. In the dawn of the age where our city is scrambling on paying for infrustructure. Force the people and buisinesses that we have to within our existing city boundaries rather than expanding and adding more cost to the city. This province must realize that everytime we expand our city borders we take away good farm land that is a money maker for this province especially this is where alternative fuel from canola is needed in this day and age to stray away from our oil dependancy from other countries and also grains and livestock are worth more now since there specialty food items, organic, etc.

Bring Back the days when downtowns were structured properly where you had the bay and eatons build multi storey ...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 3:52 PM
visionary

heck as stupid as it sounds people getting excited over an Ikea and Walmarts

anyway how about they build it downtown that way it would bring people downtown.

But build it like I just said in the earlier post in making it mutistorey and maybe mix-use.

perhaps on the ground floor in each corner of the builiding Ikea (or the developer) can lease out some floor space for some small restaurant and stores. That way there is no dead street front sections outside the store much like The Bay and city place mall has.

I can probably draw out my ideas better than explain it in words on here so you get what I mean.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 4:34 PM
Starring as himself

I doubt that IKEA is going to completely change its North American business model for Winnipeg. It's a big-box store surrounded by acres of parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan