HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

250 West 55th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:14 PM

I would definitely take this over another plain-glass building. It's almost like were reliving the building of the Seagram or the AT&T (now Sony) building all over again, when the architects deliberately went against the convention of complete lack of ornamentation - as was the M.O. of modernism - and built something with character, even if it was very slight. I would prefer another AT&T building here, even another Drake Hotel (haha), but this will do nicely, I suppose. Anything is better than an empty lot.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by avngingandbright View Post
Anything is better than an empty lot.

Or an empty pit
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcbnyc/3375160651/

I do believe that this one will be back in action soon.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 3:42 PM

Is 250 West 55th Street still going ahead?

About ten days ago, an article on commercial real estate in the New York Times said that Boston Properties would not be going ahead with the property, that the deal was cancelled. I've not read this in the NY Post, or anywhere online, so I wonder if this was an error, or if they know something the rest of us don't?

Meantime, at 245 West 54th Street, Dillons Restaurant moved out this week, and the space is vacant. At one point I was told that the Iguana across the street wanted the space, but I don't know if they could be taking over the lease.

Upstairs, they apparently have been doing a feeble make-over:

http://www.streeteasy.com/nyc/rental...quare-new-york

An apartment is having an Open House, Sunday April 26, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., and renting for $2,300! Their main selling point is access to the laundry room and gym at the Marc across the street, also a Moinian property.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 11:50 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05052009...bub_167652.htm

May 5, 2009

Quote:
If there's any immediate hope for reviving Boston Properties' 1 million square-foot office tower at 250 W. 55th St., it isn't to be found in a statement included in the company's unexpectedly strong first-quarter report.

Boston, led by Mort Zuckerman, reiterated that it had suspended construction on the Eighth Avenue project, which resulted from failure to complete a lease with prospective anchor tenant Proskauer, Rose.

It said, "The company intends to complete the construction of foundations and steel/deck to grade to facilitate a restart of construction in the future and . . . anticipates that most construction activity on this project will be completed in the fourth quarter of 2009."

After Boston announced the suspension in February, there were inklings that talks with Proskauer had resumed. But there hasn't been a peep out of either side since then.

Meanwhile, plugged-in workmen are dejectedly talking about finishing the foundation by January with no optimism about going beyond that, our on-site moles say.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 2:58 AM
New Yorker for life

http://rew-online.com/news/story.aspx?id=681

Zuckerman reveals that Proskauer backed out of Eighth Avenue development deal

Daniel Geiger
6/4/2009

Mort Zuckerman, chief executive of Boston Properties, said that Proskauer Rose got cold feet in its decision to pull away from anchoring a new office tower that Zuckerman’s firm was gearing up to develop along Eighth Avenue.

“We thought we had a tenant,” Zuckerman told rew-online.com yesterday at a ribbon cutting for the new lobby at 601 Lexington Avenue, what Boston Properties is now calling the Citigroup Center.

“The tenant walked on the deal, wanted to renegotiate the deal, so we said okay, shut it down.”

Boston Properties began talks with Proskauer in late 2007 to have the firm relocate from its current Manhattan headquarters at 1585 Broadway to a brand new, roughly one million square foot skyscraper the company was planning to build at 250 West 55th Street, which is at the corner of 55th and Eighth Avenue.

When the deal fell apart, there had been speculation whether Proskauer backed away, or if it was Boston Properties who had thought better of building an office tower – even one that was significantly pre-leased – given the state of the credit markets and the sensitivity the public markets suddenly have for risk.

Boston Properties, a real estate investment trust, has seen its share price get pummeled, like most of its peers, amid the tumult in the economy and the effects those problems are expected to have on the health of commercial real estate.

250 West 55th Street was to be custom made for law firms, offering smaller floorplates that would allow more partners to have corner and window offices – a handy amenity for retaining and attracting talent. In October of that year, Boston Properties closed on a 200,000 square foot deal with another law firm, Gibson Dunn, for the 38-story tower’s upper floors.

A deal with Proskauer, said to be on the order of 500,000 square feet, would have virtually filled the tower and overwhelmingly confirmed its financial feasibility.

But negotiations dragged on and when the economy slipped into the depths of a serious recession in 2008, the lease appeared to clearly be on the rocks. So too did the building’s development.

Manhattan office vacancies shot steadily higher as its biggest space using industry, the financial sector, became embroiled in upheaval. Those woes quickly trickled over onto law firms, the second biggest space taker in the city, which usually draws a sizeable portion of business from clients in the financial field.

Hurting the deal even more was that Morgan Stanley, which occupies about half of 1585 Broadway, had originally offered to contribute to Proskauer’s rents at 250 West 55th Street to provide it with incentive to leave 1585 Broadway. Morgan Stanley was planning to use the space that would be vacated by Proskauer as expansion room to consolidate its offices around the city. But hurt by the tough times, sources said that the investment-banking firm shied away from the space withdrew its offer.

The Proskauer deal fell apart soon after and with such a glut of cheap sublease space on the market in midtown and the credit markets locked in a persistent contraction, Boston Properties saw little reason to go ahead with 250 West 55th Street.

At this point, building new space on speculation in the current market seems about as unwise as paying the astronomical rents that would be needed to make its construction profitable.

Still, when asked whether he was still hopeful the building would eventually rise, Zuckerman responded curtly, “damn right.”

“But when?” Zuckerman asked, preempting this reporter’s next question. “Sooner or later it (the market) will come back but when? You tell me.”

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:38 PM

Next to Boston Properties, on West 54th

Joseph Moinian, with his Moinian Group, is having serious financing problems, which could easily spill over to the properties he owns at 241-245 West 54th Street, and at 237 West 54th Street, where a new arcade just went up this week to protect people from falling brick. Read about it here:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...FREE/307269971

The next block news will come when Harry Gross gets his building permit for the 67-story Marriott he will build on the NW corner of Broadway and West 54th St.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 11:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Hadn't realized they were back at work on the site, which they are. Looks like they're just finishing the site up to grade or something, didn't really catch a good glimpse as I rushed by.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 11:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Steel just above street level here...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 11:34 PM
World Machine

This is interesting....could it be that this one might see the light of day?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 11:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
It's supposedly on hold, and they were only going to finish the foundation. But who knows? Maybe John Q. will chime in with an update.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 5:11 AM

I also thought it was on hold. Would be interesting to see it go up. The NYDOB states this bldg will be 561ft, which is respectable for a building with 39floors. Might even be visible in the skyline from certain vantage points (i.e south and west)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
I also thought it was on hold. Would be interesting to see it go up. The NYDOB states this bldg will be 561ft, which is respectable for a building with 39floors. Might even be visible in the skyline from certain vantage points (i.e south and west)
It will be around 600 ft.

The DOB height count is to the top of the highest occupied floor.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
This one is 100% happening, but is delayed.

All the steel is sitting in a warehouse in the Meadowlands. All the construction documents are done, and they have financing.

They are putting it to sleep for sometime in 2010, if I remember correctly, because they want to have the leasing coincide with the office turnaround.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:43 PM

Probably three years before resuming construction

Boston Properties are legally required to bring it up to street level, and close it off, before pausing in construction. By the end of the year, they will be gone, and the sidewalks returned to the public.

They still have two-plus years of construction to go, but it's unlikely they'll begin again before 2012.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 10:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post
Boston Properties are legally required to bring it up to street level, and close it off, before pausing in construction. By the end of the year, they will be gone, and the sidewalks returned to the public.
Great. I hate it when they take the sidewalks, although it's sometimes a necessary evil.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 4:15 PM

The sidewalks are back!

Boston Properties said they would be completed to street level by the end of the year, and they are, with the sidewalks clear as of December 30th.

They have moved their watchman's shack to 54th Street, and put a new one next to it yesterday, so it appears they are going to keep someone on site until they resume construction.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 3:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post
it appears they are going to keep someone on site until they resume construction.
Well, at least somebody's working there.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 7:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Beautiful! Who's on Lawrence Welk tonight? Anybody know?
This made me laugh

Seriously, what is this? The 60s? Come on, how unoriginal could you get with this building?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 7:28 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
This made me laugh

Seriously, what is this? The 60s? Come on, how unoriginal could you get with this building?
Quite frankly it’s a classic skyscraper which seems almost perfect. As big of a box fan as I am I admit that the 60’s and 70’s produced some ones we can do without in Manhattan, but this, this to me is emulates a modern version of a Seagram and Lever. Hence, a classic skyscraper.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 7:51 AM
New Yorker for life

I love it. I think it's nice injection of "Park Ave class" onto 8th Avenue. The Lever House was used as an ispiration for its design, so in a sense it is a throwback to those days. Some people think the best architecture in Manhattan is the older architecture, and some prefer only the modern, "crystal" type architecture. I say Manhattan is big enough for it all. Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Some model pics from scpgch

___

_

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive