HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 3:16 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Regionalism and the Denver Post's Fetish-with-Aurora Thread

I think it may be time to cancel my Post subscription... frankly, I have better things to do with my time and money than read a puff piece every single day about regionalism - which is code for "fairness to Aurora." I haven't yet seen a story about regionalism that concerned any community other than Aurora. And it's now every single day there is something in the Post. I think the editorial board has been co-opted.

In any case, maybe we can use this thread for Gaylord, the Stock Show, and whatever other nonsense comes up.

Today's version from the master of spin, Penny Parker, is this. Apparently our region's Visitor's Guide doesn't do an adequate job of being fair to everybody. If only God had graced Aurora with some actual attractions, we wouldn't be forced to this. (Can we say that God hates regionalism, therefore, we must hate God?) But apparently destinational equity is now a requirement of "regionalism." It doesn't matter whether there's actually anything worth seeing in a particular community - it's only fair that we spread the wealth, legit or not.

Tell me, though, will it be good for tourism at the end of the day if we start recommending tourists make day trips out to Aurora, skipping, say, Boulder, Colorado Springs, or Blackhawk, where there are actually things to do? Or maybe, just maybe, will they leave a tad disappointed...???

But who am I to judge what's a worthy travel destination? Aurora may be exactly what out-of-state visitors have in mind when they come to visit our fair state.

Pikes Peak... or downtown Aurora? I'll let you decide! - http://www.visitaurora.com/index.php (Ignore the fact that they spelled "heritage" wrong on their website.)

Parker: Penny Parker: Visitors guides offer varying takes on "regionalism"
By Penny Parker
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 10/23/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

http://www.denverpost.com/pennyparker/ci_19169757

The new edition of Discover Denver, the area's official visitors guide, debuts Monday, sending the message of "regionalism," a favorite buzz word of city boosters and politicians these days.

"We've always been regional in our approach to tourism," said Visit Denver spokesman Rich Grant. ". . . We have a full page on Colorado Springs, a full page on Golden and all the ski areas. We've always seen Denver as a gateway to the whole region."

It's interesting that Grant uses the word "regionalism," a pet term of former Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper when referring to close ties he helped form with Aurora Mayor Ed Tauer. Leaf through the slick magazine and there's nary a mention of Colorado's third-largest city.

To be fair, the visitaurora.com website lists day-trip destinations to everywhere except Denver.

But while practically ignoring Aurora, the Denver guide touts other outlying destinations such as Boulder, the Pikes Peak area and Black Hawk/Central City.

The guide is meant to be Denver-centric with day-trip recommendations, along with lists of restaurants, hotels, shopping areas and events.

This year's free publication features a cover cartoon by Kenny Be, the iconic artist who made his name — and tweaked the noses of countless local notables — at Westword.

Be illustrates Denver attractions such as the skyline, the "big blue bear" sculpture at the Colorado Convention Center, Elitch's, the Denver Art Museum and the state Capitol.

The bottom half of the drawing is a reflection showing mountain scenes of skiing, river rafting, Red Rocks and the famous "Sleeper" house.

There are 250,000 copies of the advertising-supported guide distributed to hotels, the Convention Center, Denver International Airport and the Denver visitors center at 16th and California streets.

Last edited by bunt_q; Oct 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 10:14 PM

This might sound pretty crazy, but I've lived in Denver for almost exactly 3 years, and other than riding through some parts of Aurora on bike trails, I've never been there. I clicked that VisitAurora link that bunt posted, and I'm truly surprised by how little it has to show off in the way of restaurants, nightlife, museums, etc..

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:59 AM

There's more to do in Arvada than Aurora.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:12 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

As someone who's lived in Aurora (twice), there's not a damned thing to do there, period. At least nothing involving nightlife, culture, etc...

That being said, Aurora is what it is, a sprawling, relatively booming bedroom community for Denver, with the advantage of many parts of it being very close to DIA, as well as a few decently-sized employment centers. Period. End of story.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:28 AM

The only thing Aurora rivals Denver in is police brutality.

Why exactly does every city need to be relevant to tourists? Why doesn't Commerce City get any mention? They have some pretty amazing fire shooting out of the stacks at the Suncor refinery. I've seen people pull over on I-270 and take pictures. Stuff like that just doesn't happen in Aurora.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:06 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^I'm surprised Commerce City doesn't get a mention with it having Dick's Park and the Rapids.

Aurora? I used to go out there for two things: the Reserve Center at Fitzsimmons and Buckley AFB. Not exactly tourist destinations and now that I'm a civilian again I've been to Aurora a handful of times. There simply isn't anything worthwhile out there.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:31 PM
of Gnomeregan

No mention of IKEA in Centennial either ?

I really wouldn't mind substituting Aurora for Colorado Springs though. Everying "in" COS is actually somewhere else.

I suppose Vail will now have to make sure it always mentions Minturn, Avon, Eagle, Red Cliff and all the other bedroom communities the workers in Vail live or stay, because you know.. regionalism now must be administrated the same as youth soccer. Everyone is a winner YAY!!!

BTW where the heck is downtown Aurora? Are there defined boundaries at all?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:31 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
The only thing Aurora rivals Denver in is police brutality.
And really are they even that close in this either?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post

I really wouldn't mind substituting Aurora for Colorado Springs though. Everying "in" COS is actually somewhere else.

I suppose Vail will now have to make sure it always mentions Minturn, Avon, Eagle, Red Cliff and all the other bedroom communities the workers in Vail live or stay, because you know.. regionalism now must be administrated the same as youth soccer. Everyone is a winner YAY!!!

Good, an Aurora bashing thread.

To truly understand the horror of what Aurora has become you had to have grown up there like I did.

It was never an overly pleasant place, however in my early childhood in the late 60's and early 70's it was not yet a horrible place.

Downtown was on Colfax, in the area that is now called the "Aurora Arts District". People actually went there to do things like shop, see movies and eat. The first movies I ever saw were at the Fox theater. We bought our school supplies and clothes at the Woolworth and Woolco. We ate at the Steak and Stein and had subs at Joyce's. It was still a town with a living core.

Then of course came Buckingham Square, the Aurora Mall and the rest of the crap that now composes that place. The core quickly died.

I have no idea what would be considered downtown Aurora anymore.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:31 PM

Quote:

I *think* it's supposed to be at the Aurora TownCenter/Mall at I-225 and Alameda...at least that's where all the municipal buildings are.

But seriously, Aurora really doesn't have anything, no history, nothing worth noting. Maybe Aurora Reservoir, that is pretty nice....but nothing that's actually close to the center of Aurora. They do have Anschutz though, which is probably when combined with Buckley is their biggest draw by far.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 4:07 PM
Up Up and Away

There's more to do in Golden, than Aurora.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 4:14 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:

I think that's why they call it the "Pikes Peak Region" first, and Colorado Springs second. Probably so tourists can find it on the map. But to be fair to the Springs - the Pikes Peak Highway is still a city road, so I don't have much problem allowing them to take credit for it (sort of like Denver Mountain Parks).

I really am genuinely curious what we'd put in the tourist guide for Aurora. We don't really expect tourists (of the non-geeky development sort) to go look at a hospital campus, do we? Or a (very-original) enclosed mall?

Maybe Aurora can give $300 million or so to Golden to exhume Buffalo Bill and move him east. Maybe Gaylord will build him a nice big mausoleum.

I also think a large arch across east Alameda is needed. "Where the Prairie Dogs Live." Or perhaps "Drive 'Til You Qualify" would be a better slogan.

I really think Thornton needs to get on board here too. Where's the love for the north suburbs?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 7:17 PM

Aurora already has a slogan - "Gateway to the Rockies", which really should read "Gateway to Denver" or "The Last 'Real City' You'll See For the Next 500 Miles" depending on which way you're headed.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 7:29 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I thought Jefferson County was the "Gateway to the Rockies"?

How many gateways can we have before tourists start getting lost.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I thought Jefferson County was the "Gateway to the Rockies"?

How many gateways can we have before tourists start getting lost.
Our local airport here in Bozeman, MT, known officially as "Gallatin Field Airport" (BZN), is currently considering proposals to change the name to include "Yellowstone" as a way to attract more tourist traffic. Nevermind that there is already a "Yellowstone Airport" (WYS) in our own county, in the town of West Yellowstone. There is also "Yellowstone Regional Airport" (COD) in Cody, WY. And the nearby city of Billings is located in Yellowstone County. Talk about confused tourists. There are at least 3 airports in Montana, 2 in Wyoming and 1 in Idaho that claim to be the gateway to Yellowstone. Ironically, I think there may be as many people who fly to Salt Lake and drive to the park as use one of those six airports.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 9:38 PM

I see an Eeyorian solution to this. Get 1 flight from Canada and rename it to "Yellowstone International Airport". If the other airports follow suit, get an aerospace start-up to launch some rockets from an adjacent field and rename it to "Yellowstone International Spaceport".

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:02 AM
of Gnomeregan

Yeah except Bozeman isn't a shithole.. there are plenty of things to do in and around Bozeman. What should be making people mad there is that they think they need to steal some other places identity to get tourists to stay there.

Aurora, Pueblo, yeah they need ... NEED to get people to think of something else when they go there. It would go miles for both of them if they just changed their names to "Not Aurora" and "Not Pueblo". Bozeman... not so much.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 7:03 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Not to grave dig too badly, but I ran across this just now and thought of buntie.

quickmeme.com

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 6:11 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

And in related news: Stock show move to Aurora appears dead

Quote:
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock withdrew the city’s application for state tax-increment financing to move the National Western Stock Show Friday, a move that appears to end the possibility of the historic event’s relocation to Aurora.
Hancock’s move comes less than two weeks after all 13 members of the Denver City Council requested that he pull the city’s five-month-old support for Aurora to receive about $6.1 million in Regional Tourism Act dollars for the stock show move.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...ess+Journal%29

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 7:39 PM

But the 30,000 homes and associated big box 'infrastructure' planned to the south, will be built anyway.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West