HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Rode today, seemed normal. 15 seconds or so.
At Parliament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I wish they would activate the buttons. There is no point in heating or cooling the trains of all doors are going to open for an unknown amount of time at every station.
I'd like a hybrid. Doors open in the tunnel, Hurdman and St. Laurent, open for 20 seconds at Blair and Tunney's and the rest they are door activated. The PA system could inform passengers of how the doors work at each station.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Dwell times have been incredibly inconsistent since around the same time as the speed restriction. My guess is to give a chance for the wheel assemblies to cool down,. But that's a guess.
< snip >
Hmmm. I don't suppose that much cooling would happen in a minute, or so.

Just thinking out loud here: I wonder why they could not simply mount infrared sensors between the tracks at the Parliament/Parlement Station that would be aimed at the wheel-bearing housings (one sensor per wheel bearing). Train stopping position should be consistent, so the sensor placing could be fairly precise. (Their excuse for not using 'hot box' measuring is because they are mounted outside the tracks and the bearings are inboard.) The fact that they have speed/position sensors already mounted in the middle of the tracks shows that equipment can be mounted there.

As the train sits during the dwell time, a reading could be done of all bearing temperatures. a differential of more than, say, 30 degrees Celsius for one bearing, compared to the others, could indicate a problem.

Because the Confederation Line is so short, a sensing station in the middle should catch any problem before it becomes critical. And having the sensors in the middle of the tunnel means that they would be protected from the elements. Putting them at a station, means that there is no need for high-priced, fast sensors that read an accurate temperature. These would simply look for an abnormal difference between wheels.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 3:20 PM

I've also heard from people online who seem to be in the know that's it's all in the distance between trains, catch up and headway; train slows down, they all have to slow down, or stay at one station for longer.

My question is, for those with more experience outside Ottawa, what are the dwell times in other cities? Are they consistent?

I've ridden the SkyTrain a few times during one trip, and the Metro several times, and I do not remember such ridiculous dwell times.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I've also heard from people online who seem to be in the know that's it's all in the distance between trains, catch up and headway; train slows down, they all have to slow down, or stay at one station for longer.

My question is, for those with more experience outside Ottawa, what are the dwell times in other cities? Are they consistent?

I've ridden the SkyTrain a few times during one trip, and the Metro several times, and I do not remember such ridiculous dwell times.
I've noticed irregular dwell times on the SkyTrain.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I've noticed irregular dwell times on the SkyTrain.
How bad is it? Here, it's every day they range between 25 seconds and a minute. Consistency here, and the overall length, is really bad.

I get Cyrville (and I guess by extension Bayview, but I'm not at that end very often) if the train is waiting for the one at the end of the line to leave, but everywhere else excessive.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:32 PM

I ride end-to-end on Line 1 every Sunday (when it's not closed for repair lol) and don't remember any dwell time issues. Maybe it's a rush hour thing.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:07 PM

From my experience, dwell times on Line 1 are not consistent station-to-station, which is fine, but are overall way, way too long. I rarely ride during AM/PM rush but I have a hard time seeing such long dwell times being necessary, even during peak periods. I think this is all a product of that brief period, not too long after the Sept 2019 launch, when all anyone would talk about was the door issues and the cause of that being inadequate dwell times, leaving people no choice but to hold the doors. I remember dwell times were lengthened as a result, but seem to have never been reduced to account for lower ridership during and post-covid.

I know for a fact that STM metro and NYC subway dwell times are considerably shorter. On those two systems, there are stations where I've heard the door-closing chime start no more than a split second after the doors have fully opened. I'm pretty sure it's a similar case TTC subway and Vancouver Skytrain. If I had to guess, I'd say dwell times at our lower-traffic stations like Pimisi and Cyrville are comparable to busier stations on the systems I mentioned.

Of course, it's possible that the long dwell times are related to keeping proper spacing between the trains, but regardless, I'd like to hear an explanation.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
From my experience, dwell times on Line 1 are not consistent station-to-station, which is fine, but are overall way, way too long. I rarely ride during AM/PM rush but I have a hard time seeing such long dwell times being necessary, even during peak periods. I think this is all a product of that brief period, not too long after the Sept 2019 launch, when all anyone would talk about was the door issues and the cause of that being inadequate dwell times, leaving people no choice but to hold the doors. I remember dwell times were lengthened as a result, but seem to have never been reduced to account for lower ridership during and post-covid.

I know for a fact that STM metro and NYC subway dwell times are considerably shorter. On those two systems, there are stations where I've heard the door-closing chime start no more than a split second after the doors have fully opened. I'm pretty sure it's a similar case TTC subway and Vancouver Skytrain. If I had to guess, I'd say dwell times at our lower-traffic stations like Pimisi and Cyrville are comparable to busier stations on the systems I mentioned.

Of course, it's possible that the long dwell times are related to keeping proper spacing between the trains, but regardless, I'd like to hear an explanation.
For sure, it was pretty bad early on. At Hurdman, for example, not everyone had the chance to get in or out of the train before doors closed. It feels like they overcompensated by making the dwell times far too long and, as you said, never corrected based on passenger volume.

Ottawa will always need longer dwell times than other systems with traditional high floor trains due to the awkward layout and low number of doors, but what we have now is way too long.

I'd say high volume stations like the tunnel stations and Hurdman should have 25 second dwell times (at least at rush hour, 7-9am, 3-6pm), and maybe down to 15 outside rush hour. Medium volume like St. Laurent 15 seconds and low volume like Tremblay 10 seconds tops.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 3:49 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I wish they would activate the buttons. There is no point in heating or cooling the trains of all doors are going to open for an unknown amount of time at every station.
The seething anger I feel every time that train pulls up to Cyrville at 10pm... and nobody moves.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 5:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

LRT maintenance operations to cause 'intermittent' delays from June 5-19

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 02, 2023 • Last updated 3 hours ago • 1 minute read

OC Transpo has issued a list of LRT maintenance operations beginning Monday that will cause “intermittent” delays at select locations until June 19.

“During these two weeks, for a few hours a day, a section of the line will be temporarily closed for an annual maintenance operation,” Transpo said in a release.

For some of the fixes, work on two areas will be carried out in a single day.

The operation includes work to fix nagging water infiltration problems in the tunnel near Rideau Station, adjustments to reduce noise and vibrations, as well as general inspections.

O-Train Line 1 service will continue, but R1 bus service will operate in a few sections of the line at specific times.

Transpo says work will be done during off-peak hours, from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. whenever possible. But there will be eight days when the R1 bus service will operate part of the line all day.

The complete work schedule and information on alternative services are available on the OC Transpo website.

Service is to resume in full on Tuesday, June 20.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...from-june-5-19

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:46 PM

Rideau Station Insider's Tour: Revealing the Best of Ottawa's Landmarks

Rideau Station is one of the three downtown underground stations along O-Train Line 1. This station is the busiest on the O-Train network due to its proximity to many tourist attractions, its connection to the CF Rideau Centre shopping mall and its strategic location at the gateway to the historic Byward Market. In this video, we take a look at this important O-Train station, as well as some of the popular points of interest within walking distance of the station.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:57 AM

Getting R1 at rush hour is fun...

And having to wait 10 mins for R1 at Hurdman is pretty ridiculous. Planned shutdown and they don't have R1 running properly.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Getting R1 at rush hour is fun...

And having to wait 10 mins for R1 at Hurdman is pretty ridiculous. Planned shutdown and they don't have R1 running properly.
I assumed the service was partial all day long, so I've been driving all week (Monday, Thursday and today). Good reminder of why I usually take transit.

Of course yesterday when I got home, I realized that Monday and Thursday, the partial service was as of 8pm.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 11:38 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Escaped pet snake leads to temporary closure of eastbound LRT platform at Hurdman Station

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 16, 2023 • Last updated 3 hours ago • 1 minute read

Add snakes to the long list of things that can disrupt the city’s LRT service.The eastbound platform at Hurdman Station was temporarily closed Friday night as a train passenger and OC Transpo officials searched frantically for his lost snake.

OC Transpo informed passengers at 7:26 p.m. that the eastbound platform was closed “due to an issue with a live animal.”

More than one hour later, at 8:56 p.m, the city’s transit authority announced the issue had been resolved and that all of its trains were back in service.

“The live animal is safe and secure,” OC Transpo said. “A pet snake on the train has been reunited with its owner. Thank you for your patience.”

The city’s social media users did not let the event pass without comment.

“I thought the Alsssssstom techs did a great job,” one said on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/OccTranspo/statu...C9oYLUmK0uAAAA

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...urdman-station

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 12:48 PM

It should be no surprise that access to Pimisi Station will be 'restricted' today, Canada Day and closed entirely this evening. Note the trains will be running but will skip Pimisi this evening and the general public will not be allowed to use Pimisi Station all day. We planned rapid transit that cannot handle peak crowds safely. What a pity, that we are effectively discouraging people from coming to our biggest event of the year. There was quite a discussion about the train restriction and the dampening effect on moving the event to Lebreton on CFRA this morning.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It should be no surprise that access to Pimisi Station will be 'restricted' today, Canada Day and closed entirely this evening. Note the trains will be running but will skip Pimisi this evening and the general public will not be allowed to use Pimisi Station all day. We planned rapid transit that cannot handle peak crowds safely. What a pity, that we are effectively discouraging people from coming to our biggest event of the year.
The sheer amount of ignorance surrounding the discussion of Pimisi is mind-boggling.

The decision to close the station in the evenings was not made by OC Transpo. It was not made because the station can't handle incoming crowds. The decision was made due to security arrangements for the event. The number of people I've suggest that OC Transpo should have just rejected the event organizer's security plan is silly.

Not only that, but the station WILL BE OPEN after the show when its capacity is most needed. Literally crush loads, yet people are declaring it a failure of design because of the misguided belief it can't handle the trickle of incoming event-goers...????

Quote:
There was quite a discussion about the train restriction and the dampening effect on moving the event to Lebreton on CFRA this morning.
This didn't stop 30,000 people from attending the event last year, which was the maximum capacity of the event grounds.

Bonus: the largest NHL arenas seats just over 20,000 people.

Our LRT line is capable of handling larger crowds than the largest NHL games and the general public is too cynical(?) to realize it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
The sheer amount of ignorance surrounding the discussion of Pimisi is mind-boggling.

The decision to close the station in the evenings was not made by OC Transpo. It was not made because the station can't handle incoming crowds. The decision was made due to security arrangements for the event. The number of people I've suggest that OC Transpo should have just rejected the event organizer's security plan is silly.

Not only that, but the station WILL BE OPEN after the show when its capacity is most needed. Literally crush loads, yet people are declaring it a failure of design because of the misguided belief it can't handle the trickle of incoming event-goers...????

This didn't stop 30,000 people from attending the event last year, which was the maximum capacity of the event grounds.

Bonus: the largest NHL arenas seats just over 20,000 people.

Our LRT line is capable of handling larger crowds than the largest NHL games and the general public is too cynical(?) to realize it.
While you vehemently disagree with me, you bring up exactly the points that I made. Perhaps, you should call CFRA to 'correct' the view that they are presenting.

Also, you read into my comments, things that I did not say. I did not say that I disagree with any reasonable security plan. All that I said is that the station is closed for much of the day for 'security' reasons. Untrue?

It seems to me that more than 30,000 could be accommodated when the event was held downtown. I understand that downtown is not available with the current construction.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 1:27 PM
Busy Beaver

I think the bigger problem with the LeBreton site is the lack of bridges across the LRT tracks, which ends up overwhelming the Booth Street Bridge. They corralled people into one-way streams across which is heavy handed approach for such a wide bridge. The Department of Canadian Heritage is such a shitty event organizer, I wish they would give back the responsibility of Canada Day back to the NCC..

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 1:47 PM

Quote:
It should be no surprise that access to Pimisi Station will be 'restricted' today, Canada Day and closed entirely this evening. Note the trains will be running but will skip Pimisi this evening and the general public will not be allowed to use Pimisi Station all day. We planned rapid transit that cannot handle peak crowds safely. What a pity, that we are effectively discouraging people from coming to our biggest event of the year. There was quite a discussion about the train restriction and the dampening effect on moving the event to Lebreton on CFRA this morning.
Pimisi station is not closed today (except for 8-10pm in order to clear Booth Street and set up the queues for egress).

You can take the train to Pimisi today, but unless you have a mobility challenge, you will likely be asked by the event organizers to walk around to Wellington St. The event organizers will have the security queue along Wellington toward the Portage Bridge. OC Transpo is asking customers to get off at Lyon because this the station closest to the way the organizers want people to access the site.

They are expecting 100k+ at LeBreton today. The requirement for crowd control shouldn’t come as a shock.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
I can't think of a good reason for that. Makes you think the entire closure plan is excessive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation