HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
If there wasn't really a speed limit posted or enforced, except in areas where accidents tend to happen there is say a 10-15km/hr limit, and then radar traps were set up there, I'd have no issues.
Whatever rules you suggest need to be consistent and defensible for other forms of transportation also. Many would argue what you've just suggested for cars also - and it would be silly. Cyclists need to be mindful just as others. The fact a bike is more environmentally friendly and a healthy choice doesn't give people the right to ignore the law and have a sense of entitlement relative to all others.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:37 PM
power to the people!

That's right. A cyclist on the road has to adhere to the ATA. I've seen quite a few run red lights. Others cycle around cars turning right waiting for pedestrians,cutting-off the car and cutting through pedestrians in the process. Also, many don't have lighting, which is especially dangerous during the twilight hours.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 8:49 PM
BANNED

Hopefully Gensler (who I believe is still in charge of the Calgary re-brand) will accurately capture the citys true motto: "Calgary: To Serve and Collect."

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 11:44 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I totally agree with that. That is really what I was getting at. There are also places to go 5 km/hour around the zoo......
That's not even walking speed.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 1:17 AM

The Calgary Cops used to have the radar gun out all the time on the pathways back in the 90s and early 2000s. Their favourite spot was on the Eau Claire side of the Centre Street Bridge. I got flagged down regularly, but just kept on riding to no consequence.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I wonder if they use Ka radar for pathways... how hilarious would it be to have your Valentine 1 going off on the pathways...
Hilarious! I would assume that they are Laser based. My V1 has saved me from many revenue collectors (Calgary Police). I will mount it on my bike next season for shit and giggles.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 4:39 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
You're my kinda walker. It amazes me how slow some people walk (3-4k). Drives me nuts in crowded settings. And I have short legs, too.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 4:04 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Pointing out the obvious again. Have you ever cycled near the zoo? there is a really, really tight corner that I was referring to that you would have to be an idoit to go 20 km around. It is located under the old bridge that goes into inglewood.

Like I said before, even if you are coasting slowly on a bike, you are still making it to where you are going 2 - 5 times faster than walking.

If a cyclist crashes into me while he is bing reckless I would be pretty mad.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Pointing out the obvious again. Have you ever cycled near the zoo? there is a really, really tight corner that I was referring to that you would have to be an idoit to go 20 km around. It is located under the old bridge that goes into inglewood.

Like I said before, even if you are coasting slowly on a bike, you are still making it to where you are going 2 - 5 times faster than walking.

If a cyclist crashes into me while he is bing reckless I would be pretty mad.
I know exactly where that is. In 1999, I hit a roller blader in that spot. I was definitely going faster than 20, but he was out of control and on the wrong side of the pathway. I ended up totaling my bike, breaking my collar bone in 6places, dislocating my shoulder and suffering nasty road rash on my arm and leg. The roller blader was fine. I've broken my collar bone so many times cycling and skiing that it is a more a series of jags and bumps than a bone.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 5:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I know exactly where that is. In 1999, I hit a roller blader in that spot. I was definitely going faster than 20, but he was out of control and on the wrong side of the pathway. I ended up totaling my bike, breaking my collar bone in 6places, dislocating my shoulder and suffering nasty road rash on my arm and leg. The roller blader was fine. I've broken my collar bone so many times cycling and skiing that it is a more a series of jags and bumps than a bone.
And we wonder why CPS is ticketing cyclists.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 4:08 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Shitty, sorry to hear that!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 10:21 PM

The police do watch out for bikes running stop signs on the street, as I have found out the hard way...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 4:54 AM

On Monday I happened to be downtown right around 5 pm, just for fun I took the bike path on the south side of the river between 10 st and Crowchild Tr.
I'm not a fast cycler but I do have a speedo and kept between 25 to 30 kph. I was passed 8 times in that short ride and never caught up to anyone. This was a warm day with lots of people walking both ways so passing was tricky. I can't see how the 20kph limit will ever work with the commuting crowd. The south side could use a double track for sure or even an extra lane created by widening the whole thing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure