HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It'll happen. It might take awhile to secure approvals for Wolf Point, but River Point's construction will last 30 months, so at some point we will have matching construction sites.

Hines is making major moves here at the confluence. They should relocate here... more skyscraper activity than Houston, that's for sure.
That would be pretty damn incredible to see everything rising at once.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Such an excellent location for this building. I can't imagine the view from 30 stories up. Please disregard the telephone pole..

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...98935589618994

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Jan 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM. Reason: Photo upload issues

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:00 AM

5/12/1995

Nikon FE2 - Fuji 400

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 6:01 AM
Chicago Kid

boy will i miss the view coming in on milwauke district west of the little lake house and the wolf point area of the river.

there goes 4-5 years of mdw and mdn commute memories.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:16 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Such an excellent location for this building. I can't imagine the view from 30 stories up. Please disregard the telephone pole..

Yes you can. Actually, there's not even a need to tax the imagination:

http://chicagoriverpoint.com/building_views.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yes you can. Actually, there's not even a need to tax the imagination:

http://chicagoriverpoint.com/building_views.html
Nice marketing shots of views for the site. Potential clients will look (at photos that are quite old; no 300 N. LaSalle) and like.

But, imagine the NE and E views from the 30th floor of River Point after the south tower of Wolf Point is built on land where there is no longer a bluff and the developer fills the River for an additional 20' to the south.

The eventual River Point view in those misleading 29th floor (and 8th floor) marketing shots will be seriously affected. No view of Merchandise Mart and north; only a mere sliver of the River view will remain.

I really don't think you realize how much Wolf Point development will seal off the Confluence.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:32 PM
you know where I'll be

Great news on the LOI for a first anchor tenant. Still have a long way to go (at leat my understanding) until actual construction start on the tower (if defined by first caisson construction within the actual tower footprint. That's not until perhaps first quarter 2014, no? Which makes it interesting in the office development stakes in town, as there's actually a window here for another developer to beat Hines to market with delivery of a new tower. Despite the market still not fully being there, it is a bit of a race still as clearly as a developer you generally want to be delivering closer to the middle of an expansion cycle than the end. We're already a couple years into this expansion cycle (allowing a 'recovery' period prior to that). It's far from certain but still quite reasonable to think that if a tower breaks ground even today, delivery will be closer to the middle of the current cycle than the beginning. For a tower breaking ground 2-3 years from now, delivery could potentially be closer to the end than the middle....4-5 years from now and you're probably really rolling the dice.....

One thing I'm guessing we'll see soon is a renewed push for Buck's 222 W. Randolph site. After a lot of executive changes over the past few years, they now have - as recently reported by Crain's - a new president of development in place who will be trying to kickstart some things.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jan 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:34 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarta View Post
Nice marketing views on the site. Potential clients will look and like.

But, imagine the NE and E views from the 30th floor of River Point after the south tower of Wolf Point is built on land where there is no longer a bluff and the developer fills the River for an additional 20'.

The eventual River Point view in those misleading 29th floor (and 8th floor) marketing shots will be seriously affected. No view of Merchandise Mart and north; only a mere sliver of the River view will remain.

I really don't think you realize how much Wolf Point development will seal off the Confluence.

Seriously?? I suggest a new theme, as what you want is not going to happen, outside of or indside of a courtroom....

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Seriously?? I suggest a new theme, as what you want is not going to happen, outside of or indside of a courtroom....
I don't think my post about those pictures lies about the views from River Point. And, I like River Point. But, the marketing pictures you linked show the Wolf Point effect on River Point's unprotected views.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:41 PM

Jarta please don't ruin another thread with your Wolf Point nonsense.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Wolf Point's west tower will only increase the beauty of River Point's NE views, once it's tall enough to hide that hideous Apparel Center Thanks for reminding me about the link, Sam

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Wolf Point's west tower will only increase the beauty of River Point's NE views, once it's tall enough to hide that hideous Apparel Center Thanks for reminding me about the link, Sam
What about the south tower, the 90-story one, the one that blocks River Point's unprotected views of the Main Stem?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 7:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Still have a long way to go (at leat my understanding) until actual construction start on the tower (if defined by first caisson construction within the actual tower footprint. That's not until perhaps first quarter 2014, no?
Huh? They're starting NOW. The platform will be built first, but it should be relatively lightweight construction supported on piles, like the Jewel parking deck over on Desplaines. Tower caissons can be sunk while the platform is going up.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 7:57 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
What about the south tower, the 90-story one, the one that blocks River Point's unprotected views of the Main Stem?
Did this super quick in PS. Not that this is 100% accurate, but even if it is a little off, it doesn't seem like River Point's views of the river will be as affected (as we all know by now) yours will be.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Haha nimby fishing..

I was talking about the only Wolf Point tower within the foreseeable future. Besides, RP developers wouldn't be losing anything with the rise of the South Tower. There's more to the river than the Merchandise Mart, as majestic as it is and, as professionals, they understand that. The easterly view 950' upward will be as incredible as any.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 9:25 PM

Is anyone really entitled to a view in perpetuity? I think if there was a real legal protection for such a thing, IBM would have exercised it to prevent the Trump building from going up -- rather than abandoning their landmark headquarters when they lost their unobstructed view of the river and moving across town.

I can understand being a little disappointed when your view gets altered by new construction, but it seems like one of those "thems the brakes" situations.

If the view out my bedroom window of Sears tower were obstructed by a new development I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't feel like I had any justification to take a dump on the developer's doorstep to preserve my own view.

A good view in a city is a fleeting happenstance, a stroke of cosmic luck.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:05 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Huh? They're starting NOW. The platform will be built first, but it should be relatively lightweight construction supported on piles, like the Jewel parking deck over on Desplaines. Tower caissons can be sunk while the platform is going up.
'Twas reported last year that Hines' schedule had construction on the tower beginning around a year following the start on the decked park. This also makes sense in light of the spring/summer '16 completion date, as I'd assume construction on the tower itself doesn't go a day beyond 28 months. Now, mind you I'm not saying it NEEDs to take this long in total and be done this way, only that it was Hines' stated plan. Perhaps they built some more time in for pre-leasing progress, and if indeed things are now looking up from that perspective, they might speed up the schedule by making things more simultaneous with the decked park and tower?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:10 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I want to see a massive, 100 story tower built right in front of Jarta's window.

Only then will I ever truly be satisfied..
I won't be satisfied until a 200 story, 8.7 million sq ft tower is built so close to Jarta's unit that his windows need to be cinder-blocked up..........I don't know......perhaps not even then.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:26 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Is anyone really entitled to a view in perpetuity? I think if there was a real legal protection for such a thing, IBM would have exercised it to prevent the Trump building from going up -- rather than abandoning their landmark headquarters when they lost their unobstructed view of the river and moving across town.

I can understand being a little disappointed when your view gets altered by new construction, but it seems like one of those "thems the brakes" situations.

If the view out my bedroom window of Sears tower were obstructed by a new development I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't feel like I had any justification to take a dump on the developer's doorstep to preserve my own view.

A good view in a city is a fleeting happenstance, a stroke of cosmic luck.
To answer your initial question: No, generally not in this country......definitely not in Chicago. I guess one can have in effect views with a sort of legal protection if you're directly facing a large effectively unbuildable expanse such as the Lake, a park, etc that is for most practical intents and purposes not going anywhere - at least in your lifetime.....

Ge

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:53 AM

So when are we soposed to see the cranes and the drillers come in?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive