HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:29 PM

Greater LA is only a few million short from 20 million people, Ile De France is at 12 million.

lol they're not even close unless you start counting independent towns like Orléan and Reims about 80 miles away.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
LA proper and LA metro are both bigger than their Paris counterparts. That was probably the only part he got right.
The GDP thing is factual, whether or not you disagree with the influence. Not surprising since every large US city is usually much richer than European counterparts.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
LOL. Whut? No offense to L.A., I like it a lot, but it is nowhere near the league of Paris. Paris is home to some of the world's biggest companies, across a plurality of industries... not just finance, all of the French automakers are based there too. Paris is far and away the most high profile city in the French speaking world, and it's a pretty high profile city in the English speaking world too. It is certainly more high profile among English speakers than L.A. or Chicago.
Paris as a city is in a completely different league than LA is, I would say. They have the grand boulevards, ornate architecture, world renowned museums, world famous landmarks, and a history that goes back many hundreds of years. LA is a young city, and simply cannot compete with Paris on that front.

But in terms of resonance globally, I think LA is much closer to Paris. The entertainment industry has presented America and specifically LA to billions of people around the world. People in Paris know about LA through movies and music, and the celebrity culture of LA is revered around the world. Even reality stars like the Kardashians are known world wide in a way that dwarfs the most high profile French/Parisian stars.

And to the point about Paris being a really big deal in the French speaking world, I think a similar point could be made with LA's importance in Latin America and increasingly Korea. Coupled with the huge population of Southern California and the success of selling the whole California image of surfing, palm trees, skateboarding, etc. to the world, I think LA is pretty damn culturally important in modern times.

Finally, a little anecdote to this point. I met a couple 20 something German guys from Berlin while waiting for a bus here in LA a couple months ago. I asked what made them decide to visit LA, and they quickly replied that gangsta rap was their favorite type of music, and that because of it, LA had been a dream destination for years. Now I'm guessing they didn't go exploring the streets of Compton and Watts, but nonetheless I found it interesting that music would prompt someone to travel across the globe. They also said they enjoyed LA because it was so different than most of the cities they had traveled to in Europe. In that sense, they thought New York was more or less similar to the European cities, and thus they found it less interesting than LA.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 10:10 PM

the 4th most popular game is based in la, gta v (also theres gta san andreas, the older game thats in la too). i still play gta san andreas sometimes. but everyone knows about la

Last edited by dubu; Nov 30, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Paris as a city is in a completely different league than LA is, I would say. They have the grand boulevards, ornate architecture, world renowned museums, world famous landmarks, and a history that goes back many hundreds of years. LA is a young city, and simply cannot compete with Paris on that front.

But in terms of resonance globally, I think LA is much closer to Paris. The entertainment industry has presented America and specifically LA to billions of people around the world. People in Paris know about LA through movies and music, and the celebrity culture of LA is revered around the world. Even reality stars like the Kardashians are known world wide in a way that dwarfs the most high profile French/Parisian stars.

And to the point about Paris being a really big deal in the French speaking world, I think a similar point could be made with LA's importance in Latin America and increasingly Korea. Coupled with the huge population of Southern California and the success of selling the whole California image of surfing, palm trees, skateboarding, etc. to the world, I think LA is pretty damn culturally important in modern times.

Finally, a little anecdote to this point. I met a couple 20 something German guys from Berlin while waiting for a bus here in LA a couple months ago. I asked what made them decide to visit LA, and they quickly replied that gangsta rap was their favorite type of music, and that because of it, LA had been a dream destination for years. Now I'm guessing they didn't go exploring the streets of Compton and Watts, but nonetheless I found it interesting that music would prompt someone to travel across the globe. They also said they enjoyed LA because it was so different than most of the cities they had traveled to in Europe. In that sense, they thought New York was more or less similar to the European cities, and thus they found it less interesting than LA.
LA is important, but it isn't Paris. Paris is arguably more important than London now. It is a world capital, financial center, manufacturing center, and media center. Arguably, it is the most important population center in the EU, which is the biggest single economic zone in the world.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:06 PM

The EU has little to do with Paris' reach as a city, Paris just happens to be in the EU. Germany has significantly more influence and power over the EU than France or any other country. This attachment of Paris with the EU makes no sense at all, Paris is not the EU capital.

LA also happens to be in the most powerful, rich and influential country human history has ever known btw.

Frankfurt is more of a financial center than Paris.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:06 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

doesn't regional los angeles and paris have a similar GDP? as deficient as los angeles is on the built environment front it's hard for me to think of paris as being in a completely different league (or at least vastly so). los angeles has the most important port facilities in north america and has a contemporary global cultural influence which arguably outweighs paris RIGHT NOW (although has never really been at odds with the french...quite the opposite for much of the mid twentieth century). of course there is a massive historical weight with regards to paris across time which still reverberates and is impossible to quantify.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The EU has little to do with Paris' reach as a city, Paris just happens to be in the EU. Germany has significantly more influence and power over the EU than France or any other country. This attachment of Paris with the EU makes no sense at all, Paris is not the EU capital.

LA also happens to be in the most powerful, rich and influential country human history has ever known btw.

Frankfurt is more of a financial center than Paris.
The EU wouldn't exist without France. Don't double down on a bad argument by spouting more nonsense. Either shut up, or admit you were wrong.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The EU wouldn't exist without France. Don't double down on a bad argument by spouting more nonsense. Either shut up, or admit you were wrong.
Wrong about what? Germany having the most influence over the EU? Paris not being the EU capital? Frankfurt being a more important financial center (and home to the the central European bank)? You need to come up with better arguments more like.

Lol you were horribly wrong about LA's population estimates (which is common knowledge to most literate Americans btw).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
you were horribly wrong about LA's population estimates (which is common knowledge to most literate Americans btw).
lmao I live for this type of urban nerd shade

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
doesn't regional los angeles and paris have a similar GDP? as deficient as los angeles is on the built environment front it's hard for me to think of paris as being in a completely different league (or at least vastly so). los angeles has the most important port facilities in north america and has a contemporary global cultural influence which arguably outweighs paris RIGHT NOW (although has never really been at odds with the french...quite the opposite for much of the mid twentieth century). of course there is a massive historical weight with regards to paris across time which still reverberates and is impossible to quantify.
Found some sources for 2016...

Quote:
The GDP per capita in the Paris Region reached €50,900
https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-da.../ile-de-france

Which translates to $57,606.23 USD

Quote:
GDP per capita for Los Angeles Metro Area (CA) was $66,477 in 2016
https://www.opendatanetwork.com/enti..._gdp?year=2016

Pretty significant difference for two western alpha cities.

I don't think there's any question that Paris is monumentally more important if you're talking about it's entire history but that's not fair since Paris is also monumentally older it's not even comparable.

LA is definitely above Paris currently at this moment.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 12:25 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Come on guys, LA Is like number 13, just barely off the top ten. It rightfully gets dinged for relatively poor infrastructure and lack of top universities or museums. Unlike other cities, LA's top cultural amenity is easily consumed anywhere.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Come on guys, LA Is like number 13, just barely off the top ten. It rightfully gets dinged for relatively poor infrastructure and lack of top universities or museums. Unlike other cities, LA's top cultural amenity is easily consumed anywhere.
that's sort of what makes it slippery (and interesting). it arguably has some of the most important hard infrastructure in the entire hemisphere (arguably the most important single piece of infrastructure) yet has failed spectacularly to marshal this importance to build appropriate metropolitan infrastructure for its own citizenry. it has a cultural dominance across the planet yet itself a mirage the closer you draw.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 1:05 AM

^ Sounds like the U.S. in a nutshell.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
This says nothing to Paris looking nice or being a cool place to visit.

It doesnt RESONATE

To me cities that resonate through the world are NYC, LA, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, probably even Rome due to the power of the church all over the world.

Paris doesnt hold a candal to these places when it comes to international influence, not in the modern world.
In what dimension do you live?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 1:19 AM

and you know, los angeles has always been complimentary or ambivalent to paris, culturally a vapour paris/france interacts with as it pleases or not. sure they are both in the west but mars to venus, or at least a big moon.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 1:48 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Found some sources for 2016...

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-da.../ile-de-france

Which translates to $57,606.23 USD

https://www.opendatanetwork.com/enti..._gdp?year=2016

Pretty significant difference for two western alpha cities.

I don't think there's any question that Paris is monumentally more important if you're talking about it's entire history but that's not fair since Paris is also monumentally older it's not even comparable.

LA is definitely above Paris currently at this moment.
Here is the latest US govt data:

2017:
Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA:$1.251 Trillion---$66,585 Per Capita GDP
Los Angeles MSA $1.043 Trillion---$78,109 Per Capita GDP
Riverside MSA $157.931 Billion---$34,234 Per Capita GDP
Oxnard MSA $50.848 Billion---$58,548 Per Capita GDP

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:11 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Universities? Pfft. I have no clue where you gleaned that from but Los Angeles' top universities are more highly regarded than their Parisien counterparts.

US News Global University Rankings 2019:

Los Angeles:
#6 Cal Tech
#13 UCLA
#62-tied USC
#78 UC Irvine

Paris:
#30 Universite Paris Saclay (ComUE)
#62-tied Universite Sorbonne Paris Cite-USPC (ComUE)
#84 PSL Research University Paris (ComUE)

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ities/rankings

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 3:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Global university rankings are hard. Caltech is top-notch but niche (I get to say that because I'm a physicist which is exactly Caltech's niche). UCLA is a great school (I have friends and collaborators thrre) with a fantastic research program but it's not really considered that prestigious for undergrad (partially because it's so big I guess). Also maybe I'm a little biased against UC's and Caltech since I went to their rivals for undergrad and grad school :-p.

Paris has the cream of the crop of francophone schools (Saclay, Sorbonne, Science Po, Ecole Polytechnique, etc.).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 3:59 AM

Quote:

Paris has the cream of the crop of francophone schools (Saclay, Sorbonne, Science Po, Ecole Polytechnique, etc.).
which is a good point...los angeles is not currently a great capital of a people and their language...not something you can compete with overnight. california has a leg up over much of the northern new world, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions