HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:30 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Very much agreed! I wish mine has an outlet too. However, I heard that strata can hold referendums to upgrade the parking stalls to be electric-car compatible. Just drill a little trench by the wall, lay cables and patch up.
Easier to just hang conduit in the ceiling.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Very much agreed! I wish mine has an outlet too. However, I heard that strata can hold referendums to upgrade the parking stalls to be electric-car compatible. Just drill a little trench by the wall, lay cables and patch up.
I looked at a presale recently where maybe half of the parking stalls offered electrical outlets. You could request to have one of the stalls that had the outlet; however, one of the strata rules was that if another resident bought an electric car and needed an outlet then you could be forced to swap spaces. Made me think twice about requesting the stall with the outlet.

Retrofitting spaces can be quite expensive and it might be years before you see a return on that investment. As others have pointed out, metering the electricity becomes a bit complicated because you probably can't charge the electricity expense back to each owner. My strata looked into allowing a tenant to install an outlet for his hybrid but discovered that we wouldn't be allowed to charge him for the electricity because strata's can't sell electricity (something about not being able to act as a utility provider and re-selling power without a licence). We offered to charge him a monthly fee for using the common property wall for his outlet but in the end we couldn't agree on a fee that was fair to both parties so he decided against installing the outlet.

Long stories short, if a new building included outlets in all stalls from the beginning that would be ideal.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 12:42 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That is correct due to current regulations the strata can't charge back for electric consumption as they are unable to resell electricy., there are ways around it.
Ie. in commercial parkades you could see a $15/daily rate for reg spots, and a $16/daily rate for electric spots with free power. Tieing it into the residents meters would be stupidly expensive and much easier to just charge an extra $10 in strata fees to units with the chargers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues