HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

245 Rideau Tower [2] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:37 PM
National Capital Region

Claridge Royale [245 Rideau St] | 62/84/84m | 18/26/27f | U/C

Site plan application http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9XU4QV

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Reside...ideau-Street/1

Claridge proposes three 28-storey towers on Rideau Street
OBJ StaffPublished on November 21, 2013Share 2
inShare
0 Comment
Send to a friend
Print
Local developer Claridge is asking the city for permission to build three 28-storey mixed-use towers at 245 Rideau Street, according to documents issued by the city.

The proposed development would have approximately 43,932 square metres of floor space, a note recently circulated to members of the local community said.

The site, which is currently home to a grocery store, is bordered by Cumberland Street to the west and George Street to the north.

The three towers would share a single podium, which would range from three to seven storeys.

The plan calls for 578 residential units, along with commercial space at ground level. The development would have 658 parking spaces, located on six levels of underground parking.

The company paid $22.15 million for the property, according to data published earlier this year. Claridge is one of Ottawa’s largest downtown condo developers.

@neilmalhotra 34m
I'm going to have a dig out a pic of our new project on Rideau for the skyscraper crew. Stay tuned they might actually like this one.

Feb 2013 http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...mber_Sales.pdf
Quote:
The most notable transaction was the sale of 245 Rideau Street which was purchased by Claridge Homes (245 Rideau) Inc. from 769470 Ontario Ltd. for $22,150,000 or $410/sf. of site area. The site is currently improved with a Metro food store and a surfaced paved parking lot.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Nov 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:16 AM
Mooderator

Haha at that tweet!

3x 28? If we could manufacture a large enough piece of plywood, we could make a huge table at that end of town!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:16 AM

Claridge Place 5, 6 and 7?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:30 AM

a) it better fn not be claridge plaza V VI and VII

b) Why must is all be the same height?? With the condos on Cumberland, all the Claridge Plazas, the towers proposed on the D Furs site and the Gallerias EVERYTHING is pretty much the same height! How boring, uninspiring and "canyon-y effect"!

Why not do like the "Vibe: Battery" condos proposed for Dow's Lake with like one 1 18 story tower, 1 30 story tower and 1 36 story tower? Now it would create some nice effect and a visually interesting skyline...

*One can only hope that they are actually reading this thread and taking notes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
a) it better fn not be claridge plaza V VI and VII

b) Why must is all be the same height?? With the condos on Cumberland, all the Claridge Plazas, the towers proposed on the D Furs site and the Gallerias EVERYTHING is pretty much the same height! How boring, uninspiring and "canyon-y effect"!

Why not do like the "Vibe: Battery" condos proposed for Dow's Lake with like one 1 18 story tower, 1 30 story tower and 1 36 story tower? Now it would create some nice effect and a visually interesting skyline...

*One can only hope that they are actually reading this thread and taking notes.
25, 30, 35 stories? I think that would be good: they need to start doing something different, rather than just going for the same buildings at the same heights. This property with three towers is a chance opportunity to do something interesting. I hope the towers are at least nice.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:31 AM
National Capital Region

Height limit on the site is around 85m so they are likely building to the max. Any more could require changes to the Official Plan viewplanes/height limits around the more.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:32 AM
National Capital Region

Neil Malhotra ‏@neilmalhotra
here is just a glimpse of 245 rideau
https://twitter.com/neilmalhotra/sta...96013933690880

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:42 AM
National Capital Region

I am a fan so far, look forward to seeing more ... can't quite figure out what's going on in the corner from the render

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Neil Malhotra ‏@neilmalhotra
here is just a glimpse of 245 rideau
https://twitter.com/neilmalhotra/sta...96013933690880

So far, I'm okay. I'd like to see more detailed renderings from different angles to better get an idea. It's at least an improvement over CP.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I am a fan so far, look forward to seeing more ... can't quite figure out what's going on in the corner from the render
The ghost of the LCBO?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:27 AM

Not a fan. Picture yourself walking along Rideau St. Does this look like an inviting streetscape. Do you think that looks like somewhere we're likely to find interesting little shops like you hope to find along a decent shopping street? From a street level perspective this does not cut it. At all. I'm sure it will look better from a helicopter than the first few Claridge Plazas, but it's still killing Rideau St. walkability.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:32 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Not a fan. Picture yourself walking along Rideau St. Does this look like an inviting streetscape. Do you think that looks like somewhere we're likely to find interesting little shops like you hope to find along a decent shopping street? From a street level perspective this does not cut it. At all. I'm sure it will look better from a helicopter than the first few Claridge Plazas, but it's still killing Rideau St. walkability.
Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one.

I can't help but notice the lack of trees, lack of setbacks, and clarity as to the amount of street-level retail and its accessibility.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:38 AM

Rows and rows of perfectly square windows on grey buildings... Bleh.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:52 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
The ghost of the LCBO?
No, the LCBO is further down the block towards the lower-right corner of this image. In this view we are at the corner of Cumberland St. (to the left) and Rideau St (to the right) facing roughly northeast.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
I do see that, but is what's currently there any better? It is glitzier than previously, but I'm questioning my initial reaction: is this good city building?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:34 AM

If the retail portion ends up looking like what they were proposing for Chapel Street I'd be happy.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:47 AM

I'd love to see Holt Renfrew occupy that retail space. Having the Rideau Centre at Sussex and HR near King Edward should attract better retailers in the blocks in between them, making it a proper shopping street.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:58 AM

Mother of God that is ugly. Was the DND building an inspiration? Or perhaps Phase 2 of Place du Portage?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:29 AM

No I believe Hong Kong is the inspiration for Claridge in the Market

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:55 PM
National Capital Region

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa