HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 12:07 AM

I wonder what will become of the pad just south of the shorter condo building where the hotel was slated? Abandoned indefinitely? Seems like the perfect opportunity to get *something* in that development to face Rio Salado. If the hotel is out, I wish they'd at least put up a 2-story building or something: retail on the botnom, office up top.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder why they scrapped the previous design of the third office building? It was much more interesting, opened up to the coner, and provided a space for the NYE ball drop (couldn't care less about that, but hey, it's better than a generic office building). The new rendering does nothing for me.

The old one is still on their site:http://www.haydenferry.com/office.php?id=5

Last comment for the day. I love the idea of seeing dense development around the lake; if this ever comes to fruition, I can die happy. Imagine flying into Sky Harbor and seeing this, across from Hayden Harbor, and finally Hayden Ferry Lakeside built out with more low-rise developments like The Lofts giving perfect views of the stadium and Butte... I can't help living in the past and dreaminin like it's 2005, realism aside.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/6304...empe-town-lake

Last edited by Jjs5056; Nov 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 11:37 PM

Looks like the Hanover project, the one proposed for the parking lot north of W6, got shot down by the Development Review Commission.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I wonder what will become of the pad just south of the shorter condo building where the hotel was slated? Abandoned indefinitely? Seems like the perfect opportunity to get *something* in that development to face Rio Salado. If the hotel is out, I wish they'd at least put up a 2-story building or something: retail on the botnom, office up top.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder why they scrapped the previous design of the third office building? It was much more interesting, opened up to the coner, and provided a space for the NYE ball drop (couldn't care less about that, but hey, it's better than a generic office building). The new rendering does nothing for me.

The old one is still on their site:http://www.haydenferry.com/office.php?id=5
I agree that the old design is nicer, but now I am just happy that something is coming up in that corner. I hope it does soon. It is such an important piece, connecting to the Mill, Tempe Town Lake and Mill Ave; it is a shame that it has been empty for so long.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 4:00 AM

Grand Papago Center Project

Quote:
Are there really no design requirements for developments literally adjacent to a light rail stop? All of these buildings have setbacks from the street, and 7 parking strcutures within the development seems absurd.

I think this piece of land is prime, however, with its proximity to the airport, light rail accessibility to both downtown Tempe and downtown Phoenix, close to the zoo, Papago, DBG, and so on. I work in the area, and have also thought this piece, as well as the huge parking lots near Phoenix Muni had a lot of potential for development.

I very much doubt we would see anything close to the finished project - just look at the Washington corporate center 1/4 mile away - but, some retail near the intersection, and at least some of the multiple hotel, residential and office buildings would be interesting. I am definitely glad to see the residential aspect; that is sorely missing from the area, and while m disappointed at the poor design/placement, a increase in residential along the light rail is a great thing.
It is difficult to make out in the rendering but one thing this project should be required to incorporate is Park and Ride for light rail immediately on the southeast corner of Washington and Priest. It should be standard free Park and Ride for light rail users. I have to believe that if such a lot presently existed it would see a lot of use as people coming up from the south on Priest could utilize it as well as people coming from points north like East Phoenix and Scottsdale. I would go so far as to say it would be the most widely used Park and Ride Lot on the entire light rail system with the possible exception of the farthest east lot in Mesa.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Looks like the Hanover project, the one proposed for the parking lot north of W6, got shot down by the Development Review Commission.
Thank you for the update- what happens next? Does the project die or does it get revised? As weak it may have been, it was better than that massive parking lot.

Is the discussion/rationale public?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 4:34 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
It is difficult to make out in the rendering but one thing this project should be required to incorporate is Park and Ride for light rail immediately on the southeast corner of Washington and Priest. It should be standard free Park and Ride for light rail users. I have to believe that if such a lot presently existed it would see a lot of use as people coming up from the south on Priest could utilize it as well as people coming from points north like East Phoenix and Scottsdale. I would go so far as to say it would be the most widely used Park and Ride Lot on the entire light rail system with the possible exception of the farthest east lot in Mesa.
I agree that a park-and-ride there might see high usage, especially by Scottsdale residents, whose own city government stubbornly resists light rail. In order to give that corner a more urban character, however, any park-and-ride should be a shared use garage rather than a surface lot -- sort of like the park-and-ride at Apache & McClintock.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the update- what happens next? Does the project die or does it get revised? As weak it may have been, it was better than that massive parking lot.

Is the discussion/rationale public?
I think they get a chance to go back and rework their project (try to fix whatever faults the DRC found to please them) and then go back through DRC. However, they may have to completely start the application process over, which would take a bit more time.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I think they get a chance to go back and rework their project (try to fix whatever faults the DRC found to please them) and then go back through DRC. However, they may have to completely start the application process over, which would take a bit more time.
Indeed, i am not clear on all the details yet, but from my own experience, they do get a chance to resubmit once they address the issues that were brought up. My guess, and this is that they were asking for too much without really giving the city anything in return. They wanted to decrease the number of required parking spaces (which could be a toll on the city if their guests or residents have to park elsewhere), they wanted to increase the number of units allowed on the lot, and they wanted to decrease the landscaped public space. My speculation is that the city didnt feel like it was getting much in return. Often when cities do big adjustments, they get something in return, such as public space (a park or small plaza). In a way, i am glad the city is being more demanding and not letting itself be steam rolled by developers. Growth has to happen, but smart growth. The city can't think of just the next two years, but instead the next 20, 40, even 50 years. If it is going to change rules and codes, it should only be fir projects that will have a long lasting positive effect on the city, not just mediocre projects. Im not saying that this types of developments shouldn't be built, but if they are, the developer can be less lazy and actualy comply with the existing rules and codes. If they want changes, they have to offer a better product.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
^ Wow, checked out your facebook page and was amazed by how many projects are going on in Tempe. Thank you for that resource.

1) The rendering of the new, less dense version of Gracie's looks great. I still disappointed that the height was cut in half, but the design is still super urban and modern- not what I was expecting. Very similar to the Teralever building on Mill (5th?). Also, disheartening to read some of the comments. I'm not sure why people could ever be against such a great project- great for the neighborhood by transforming a blighted boulevard into a corridor of retail, affordable housing, transit and more. I'm excited to see Apache grow into a pedestrian-friendly, dense extension of downtown- why aren't the residents?
2) Can you tell us more about some of the townhouse projects you've posted, such as the ones on Hayden or the ones on Kenneth? I assume neither is visible from the light rail? Density is great, but it's even better along the actual route.
3) Happy to hear that a food mart is coming to the ground floor of the Domain! That project has to be least favorite of its kind- shitty color scheme, cheap design, too east of a location (if I'm remembering correctly), etc. But, this is fabulous news. Any idea as to what level of service this place might be? Surely, it won't be the size of a Trader Joe's, but I hope it has more of a selection than Circle K. I hope these other apartments are close enough for folks to walk, or that the selection available is worth a rail trip.
4) Can't wait to see the Grove completed. What stinks about some of th Apache development is how segregated each is; these (the Vue and the Grove) will be the first to be built adjacent, so am excited to see how they work each other and to see if this sparks more foot traffic with a continuous strip of retail.
5)The Lofts at Hayden Ferry are far denser than I anticipated; I stll can't but wish that density was more vertical. Land around the lakeis finite, and this is a truly prime spot. Building apartments that are being dwarfed by 8-story condos just doesn't seem like a terrific choice by either the developer or the city. On the positive side, the design is nice and seems to finally putting an end to the blue-glass overload. I do wonder how it will address the street? With so much activity within that development it's a shame how dead Rio Salado is.

Finally, while it's great that we are seeing quality, urban-oriented projects throughout the city, I can't help but be disappointed that the high-rises are all so spread out and a few are even outside downtown's boundaries. Projects like the Grove, the Hub and 8th/Rural are fantastic- but I just wish these were going on lots like Ash/Uni, the kne adjacent to W6, 10/Mill, Forest/Uni and so on. Heck, as I mentioned, even the ladeside development has continually shifted toward lower heights.

In a way, this is purely from an aesthetic standpoint. Having the city's only true skyscrapers miles apart (Rural/8th, the Hub and W6) just isn't visually pleasing, and I hate to see prime lots going to parking structures (Ash/Uni) or 6-story boxes (lot next to W6).

However, a more serious concern is that the downtown core and lake have limited lots left for development. Sure, the lake has a bit more, but sprawling a 4-story apartment co l,ex just doesn't seem like the best longterm plan. Almost everything planned for downtown is 6 or 4 stories, and unless this mini-boom continues, I'm nervous that we won't get more of a critical mass to spur things like a convention center, etc. in the core.

Last comment is that I am also worried about some of the retail that has been coming in recently- Loco Patron in the Gateway building seems to be such a waste. That would've been a great grocery store, bookstore, or something truly special for Tempe given its perfect location. Manwhile, more and more Scottsdale bars are opening - there is one replacing Blondie's, I believe, El Hefe is replacing My Big Fat Greek, and Firehouse is open on University and Mill. I just don't think this is the right approach for Tempe if it wants to grow up and become a truly sophisticated, dense, urban city - which, for all that I know, it does.

I'm done! Sorry for this terribly long message.
Yikes, sorry for the delay. I don’t jump on this forum too often.
1. The Gracies project almost didn’t move forward at all. The neighbors were fighting it for almost a year and levels kept on getting cut. It came down to the neighbors submitting a legal petition, where 6 out of 7 of the members of the commission had to vote it in. It was voted in, but, that was after a lot of fighting.

2. Neither is visible from the light rail, but they are both bringing density to the area. The Hayden project is 3 units that used to be a single family home. The project was approved. The Kenneth project is 8 units and it’s pretty close to the light rail. I haven’t seen the renderings yet.

3. The food mart will be on the ground level of the Domain. As well as a bar that has been delayed multiple times. It won’t be as big as a trader joes or anything like that. going to be a lot like the convenience store that are on campus. Think of a smaller version of Fresh and Easy. They obtained their building permits this months and should start building soon.

4. Having the Grove, Vue, and District all within close proximity will increase foot traffic in the area even more than there is now. Each of these buildings has and will have retail components, so that will drive more foot traffic from the apartments and homes surrounding.

5. The lake still has a lot of room to grow. I’m not sure why the developer is making it so short. It could have to do with the materials that they are using or the amount of financing they can get for it. From the renderings I have seen, it looks like it will be facing Rio Salado and the lake, so the orientation is pretty well.

Tempe has a lot of improvement areas in the 85281 zip code and developers are aiming at getting the cheapest and well placed land and this is creating redeveloping neighborhoods. The most redeveloping areas are the Mill district, Rural just north of Apache and all of Apache.

Working in the real estate research field it looks like the boom is going to continue because the vacancy of Class A apartments (10 years or newer) is very low and the prices are continuing to raise, so more will be built as ASU and Tempe grow. Both work hand in hand with each other.

Im pretty sure that the "Scottsdalification" of Tempe is one that will be short lived. Mill will continue to be a nightlife area, but the bars that are opening up in Tempe from Scottsdale are still gearing towards college students and young professionals. The new country bar that is going in at the corner of 5th and Mill is by the owner of La Bocca, Canteen, and Handlebar and he seems like hes doing a good job at bringing clientele from different parts of the east valley, by building bars of different types.

Sorry for the rambling

http://facebook.com/Apache.Redevelopment

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:03 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheRedevelopment View Post
The new country bar that is going in at the corner of 5th and Mill is by the owner of La Bocca, Canteen, and Handlebar and he seems like hes doing a good job at bringing clientele from different parts of the east valley, by building bars of different types.

http://facebook.com/Apache.Redevelopment

Is Julian Wright's new place going to be just a bar, or also a place that serves food like all his other businesses on Mill?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 2:15 PM

Downtown Tempe and Phoenix are "Food Deserts"

This was in the AZ Republic today- all about the lack of a grocery store in downtown Phoenix. It is just as true for downtown Tempe. This area is a "Food Desert." There are NO major grocery stores anywhere in the area bounded by Broadway, College, Rio Salado and the 143 freeway (yes- that is still Tempe all the way to the 143!) The article says that a major chain needs about 15,000 residents to support a large store. You can't tell me there aren't at LEAST 15,000 people who live in the area I mentioned above??? Downtown Phoenix has 11,000 people (according to the article...)
Ugh, I live near First and Hardy and I drive all the way to Broadway and Rural to shop at Safeway- OR all the way to Trader Joes at Guadalupe and McClintock (because I love them!) I refuse to shop at the terrible Rollins Market at 5th and Beck. It smells like rancid chicken and attracts an unsavory crowd.
It blows my mind that this area - with its dense, diverse, growing and gentrifying population cannot attract and retain a real place to buy food!?!

Check it out- and here is the link:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...html#protected

Phoenix's downtown core has undergone an economic and cultural rebirth in the past few years, adding sleek skyscrapers, an outdoor shopping center, restaurants, nightlife and hundreds of new residents.

But one piece of the development puzzle has remained elusive in the city's heart: a big grocery store.

For many urbanites, the lack of a nearby supermarket is a daily hassle -- they moved downtown to avoid commuting but find themselves driving out of the area for food. Their nearest grocer is a Safeway on the north side of Interstate 10, excluding convenience stores selling little if any fresh produce.

"A big goal of a lot of downtowners is to leave their car behind," said Sean Sweat, an urban resident and advocate. "If someone can't even grocery-shop without a car, that's a problem. You need to be able to live, work and play in one place."

Access to fresh foods is so lacking downtown that it has been labeled a "food desert" by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, meaning there's little or no access to nutritious, affordable foods at a grocery store or large market. Restaurants and fast-food joints don't cut it.

Eliminating urban food deserts has become a serious concern for policymakers and U.S. public-health officials, because low-income people and urban dwellers often can't easily buy fruits, vegetables and grains.

Recent attempts to open a supermarket in downtown Phoenix have floundered, with the Oakville Grocery at CityScape and the Phoenix Public Market Urban Grocery and Wine Bar closing in the past year. The markets were the first to open in the neighborhood south of I-10 since the last supermarket closed in 1981.

Oakville, whose owner has faced a long string of financial and legal problems, was forced out by CityScape's developer, RED Development, apparently for not making rent payments. The store, which offered pricey pre-prepared foods and some everyday pantry items, has been replaced by Chloe's Corner, a bustling lunch counter.

It's the second time efforts to open a market in CityScape have failed. An attempt to fill the space with a smaller version of an AJ's Fine Foods fell victim to the recession.

Several months after Oakville's departure, the Public Market, an offshoot of the biweekly farmers market still held at Central Avenue and Pierce Street, closed its doors. Those behind the market said it had faced financial problems and had a narrow appeal, with a smaller selection of local, organic produce and novelties.

"I think we were probably too much of a niche market," said Dan Klocke, board president of the non-profit Community Food Connections, which ran the market. "(A grocery store) has to cater not only to people who live downtown but to people who work downtown."

City officials said perhaps the most challenging hurdle to luring a major grocery store downtown has been population. The logic is simple: Without a large enough customer base, a supermarket cannot thrive, yet the city cannot attract many residents to the area if there aren't adequate services.

"We need more people downtown and the services to go with it," Mayor Greg Stanton said. "I think we're well on our way. We want to change the way people perceive our downtown."

The area has about 11,000 residents, and grocers need roughly 15,000 to sustain a larger store, according to the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, an influential non-profit that focuses on advancing the urban core.

"It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation," said David Roderique, president of the downtown partnership. "The population is not quite there yet, but we're getting there."

In place of a large grocer, several smaller operations are springing up to help satisfy residents hungry for a market. The experiments range from a vegan-only market in the planning stages to a corner market on Roosevelt Row.

Dubbed Bodega 420 (its building number), the market opened last summer in an old home near the center of the city's arts community. Co-owner Adrian Fontes said the corner store aims to appeal to the diverse downtown community with its variety of items including local produce and dairy, dry goods and tobacco products.

Fontes said a market must be unique to succeed downtown, that a traditional chain won't work in denser, urban neighborhoods. He said the bodega aims to capture residents' desire for a locally owned store.

"We're dedicated to keeping our money here," Fontes said. "Novelty stuff is fun, but our focus is getting people food that's affordable."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...#ixzz2DiOtPG8k

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:47 PM

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Is Julian Wright's new place going to be just a bar, or also a place that serves food like all his other businesses on Mill?
Its going to serve food also, like the rest of his places

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheRedevelopment View Post
Its going to serve food also, like the rest of his places
Hopefully doesn't end up like his Library Bar and Grill venture on that same location.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Hopefully doesn't end up like his Library Bar and Grill venture on that same location.
Hopefully it ends up like Canteen, La Bocca or Handlebars which are all great.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Hopefully it ends up like Canteen, La Bocca or Handlebars which are all great.
Agreed. I wasn't a fan of the earlier businesses, but in the past few years, Fork & Dagger (Wright's company) really seems to be getting things right with its Mill Avenue ventures.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 6:04 AM

Over the summer I remember hearing about a grocer called "Milk and Honey" supposed to open up in the retail portion of the West 6th Towers. Does anyone know of the status of that proposal? I remember seeing on the Mill Ave. District list serve that the grocer was set to open but I haven't heard or seen anything since. A grocery store at W6 would be nice if the Hanover ever gets approved.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 8:00 PM

If you walk by the plaza below the town homes of W6 they have a sign posted for the business. It is suppose to open by January according to a leasing agent. According to him it is more of a convenience store. He said they will have a small selection of produce. He basically described it as a POD store at ASU with alcohol lol.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 8:53 PM

It's hard to see from the street- how many retail spaces are there in W6, and how many of them are filled?

I still would like to see retail on the south portion of the Hanover lot facing W6. I think that would help draw more people to that area and make use of the small plaza. As it stands now, I can't imagine the retail seeing much foot traffic given the lack of visibility and the fact that it's a deadzone based on the poor design of Ash (leaving it to be a wasteland of lots and garages) and sea f parking lots in the immediate vicinity.

On a much less important note, I'm still holding onto hope that the Hanover project will grow vertically and that the eventual development of Ash and Uni is tall, so that the structures give the W6 pool a bit more privacy. I find the fact that you can see the pool and TV from University and the 202 very awkward.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 10:33 PM

I got an email from ASU telling me that the Design Annex (the building on the northwest corner of 7th street and College) needs to be cleaned out by December 12th because they are going to start construction on December 13th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest