HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:04 PM
Space Magi

^I like it, and 38 stories would be awesome!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 8:09 PM

^^^
^^^
So is that their proposal??? I can't keep up with all of these proposals. Hopefully having so many major proposals means that many more will actually materialize.

Here's yet another cool development for Central 9th that CW Urban broke ground on yesterday. I especially like that they're going to restore and repurpose the Old Taffy Building as part of the project. Cool design integration!

CW URBAN CONVERTS TAFFY TOWN BUILDING INTO URBAN HOUSING - Press Release, Utah Business - August 23,2019 - https://www.utahbusiness.com/cw-urban/

Salt Lake City— CW Urban, an innovative Utah real estate development group, broke ground on its newest project, The Charli, on August 22 at the construction site located at 55 West 800 South in Salt Lake City.

The Charli is a redevelopment project in the Central 9th neighborhood and will involve the adaptive re-use of the old “Taffy Town” iconic 40’s art deco building, which will be turned into 26 condos. The project will also consist of a 6-story, 64-unit condo building that will replace the existing on-grade parking lot. The two buildings will be combined into one creative whole through an innovative design that includes a shared lobby, common room, and an outdoor rooftop garden above the parking podium.

In order to save the existing Taffy Town warehouse, all parking will be contained in a one-story podium that includes mechanically stacked parking to minimize the land space required for parking, whereas conventional parking would require a 2-3 story structure. The base of the new six-story building will be unfinished concrete to complement the board-formed concrete of the existing warehouse, to showcase the distinct difference in age of the two buildings without the clashing of two different materials.

“The inspiration for this project came from the existing Taffy Town building as well as the industrial history of the central 9th neighborhood,” said Darlene Carter, Division President of CW Urban. “The main focus of the design has been to highlight the raw beauty of the exiting warehouse with its textural façade and rough nature while constructing modern and efficient condos to meet the current housing needs.”

Project partners include Rimrock Construction, CW Design, Method Studio Architects, Spectrum Engineering, PEPG Civil Engineers, and Ensign Structural Engineers. The project is expected to be completed in 15 months and unit sales will begin in spring of 2020.

Taffy Town, formerly known as Glade Candy Co. was founded by James Vernon Glade in 1916 and operated from 55 West 800 South in Salt Lake City. In 1995, David Glade, grandson of the founder, changed the name of the company to “Taffy Town, Inc.” to reflect its total dedication to taffy excellence. In 2016, the company sold the Taffy Town building and relocated to West Jordan. The company is still family-owned and operated by great-grandsons, Jason and Derek Glade.

Based in Centerville, Utah, CW Urban is a real estate developer specializing in the design and construction of urban in-fill townhomes, condos and apartments. Its core team of industry professionals has a wealth of experience in home construction and land development. The company prides itself on crafting superior residences and is currently building some of the trendiest residential projects in the urban core. The CW Urban team is embodied by a group of young, professionals already seasoned by years in the industry. Visit: builtbycw.com

Last edited by delts145; Aug 23, 2019 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
Woa! It looks like an office building, but the height suggests it's residential. Balconies facing Gallivan Plaza would be ideal if it is residential. I'm skeptical that this gets built as shown, though. I do like the overall form though. I'm guessing that this is about 400' to 420' tall.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
The building looks like it has 40 stories to the top open level. 8 to the first (lower area) and 22 to the middle one. The building to the west and above the parking looks to be 22 stories

At 40 stories, this would be a new tallest. at around 440' I think.

Also the first document has been added to the planning page. Nothing of note yet but hopefully soon.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:11 AM

The document does say in the request "Building Height Increase; Building Height Reduction; Setback Increase" but what would the reduction be for?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
The document does say in the request "Building Height Increase; Building Height Reduction; Setback Increase" but what would the reduction be for?
Those are just the reasons for a design review.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:04 PM

I'm in town for a wedding and drove around SLC for the first time in about 5 years. It has changed a ton. The urban feel is improving for sure!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The building looks like it has 40 stories to the top open level. 8 to the first (lower area) and 22 to the middle one. The building to the west and above the parking looks to be 22 stories

At 40 stories, this would be a new tallest. at around 440' I think.

Also the first document has been added to the planning page. Nothing of note yet but hopefully soon.
I'm really hoping this project works out or the 41 story 370 millennium tower. It would be nice if both of them were built But I will try not to get my hope's up

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 7:53 PM

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 25, 2019 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 10:26 PM

So there are about 4 high rise residential projects proposed on Main Street and state street, and then Held properties which is considered mixed use on west temple. I sure hope the Kensington tower has some mixed use possibilities otherwise there might be to much proposed residential and not enough demand

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 11:26 PM

Hmm, but isn't Downtown Salt Lake still experiencing a serious residential shortage? The apartment vacancy is still around historic lows, right?

I was wondering if someone is going to be around the Sugar House area in the next few days. We could use a photo update on the many major projects progressing there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
So there are about 4 high rise residential projects proposed on Main Street and state street, and then Held properties which is considered mixed use on west temple. I sure hope the Kensington tower has some mixed use possibilities otherwise there might be to much proposed residential and not enough demand
Not sure what you are talking about. There is much demand for high-rise urban residential; both apartments and condos in downtown Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Can you post the link to the source?

Also, the Regent Street Hotel would have looked great next to that. Perhaps another residential high-rise could go there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Not sure what you are talking about. There is much demand for high-rise urban residential; both apartments and condos in downtown Salt Lake City.
I hope you are right but you gotta think 4-5 large projects all at once? Even considering SLC slow pace at building high rises too. Makes me concerned and we all know some or many won’t get built. The strong ones will hopefully make it

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 3:20 AM

SLC Future Sketchup

I got so excited about all the news, I decided to find somewhat similar buildings to the ones proposed and plug them into the skyline. The results were awesome, we could potentially have a great skyline soon. I have included a link because I am unsure how to load the pictures into the forum.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183794655@N04/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
I got so excited about all the news, I decided to find somewhat similar buildings to the ones proposed and plug them into the skyline. The results were awesome, we could potentially have a great skyline soon. I have included a link because I am unsure how to load the pictures into the forum.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183794655@N04/
I'm unable to access the flickr account, but you can post the images separately by copying the image address and then when you create your post, click on the yellow square icon that looks like it has mountains and the sun in it. Paste the image address in that. And, there you go!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:22 AM

The link doesn't seem to be working when I paste it in the box I will attempt to see if I can upload the images to a different hosting site.

Last edited by taboubak; Aug 25, 2019 at 7:09 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
The link doesn't seem to be working when I paste it in the box I will attempt to see if I can upload the images to a different hosting site.

Did you check if the image address ended with a .jpg or .png or .tif? Sometimes it will give you some long computer code language, java I guess. That's the one that won't work.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:13 AM

I finally figured it out. Thanks for the tips!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:38 PM

Tower crane is going up at Tower 8 / 95 State.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West