HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 9:22 PM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is online now
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 12,826
Only Going Forward Because We Can't Find Reverse

So there is a lot of griping about how SSP Calgary is becoming a bit intolerable and noticing that other sites are drawing away some users here. I understand that moderation has been a problem in the last two years for various reasons but also the embedded level of hostility within the community has ratcheted up. Part of this comes down to increasing levels of partisanship and some of it is due to increased levels of agitation that come from living within a stressed economy.

So I thought I would open the floor here to discuss these issues. What do you think needs to happen? What do you suppose can smooth over the partisanship? What do you think can lighten the agitation? Let's hear some ideas. And preferably let's hash it here so we can collect these ideas.
__________________
The Colour Green
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 11:19 PM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Part of this comes down to increasing levels of partisanship and some of it is due to increased levels of agitation that come from living within a stressed economy.
Um... no. But I could see how someone from Edmonton might want to think that. Partially it seems like the Calgary subforum has been neglected to the point that it has reached it's current state because other people wanted to see the forum fail perhaps, to reinforce the above kinds of ideas about Calgary struggling therefore it only makes sense the Calgary sub forum would struggle too.

Development in Calgary has been remarkably steady over the past few years, and there are still the same number of people interested in development. The biggest problem has been Calgary forum moderation has been MIA over the past three years, as more people who actively hate development have come in and stirred up problems over and over and over again.

I notice there doesn't seem to be any Calgary-based moderators, and the hands off moderation over the past two/three years has led to a bunch of grumpy instigating individuals who hate condos, urban development, and wish the world was 100% full of large lot single family detached homes. These individuals constantly rehash the same commentary which inspires vapid back and forth and degrades the quality of numerous threads, including the Calgary Construction thread.

What this place needed was moderators to remove and police all the off topic debate and keep the construction thread focused on construction. These voices should never have been allowed to move in and pollute all these threads.

SRC, for better or worse, shows what happens at a properly moderated construction forum. There is no toxicity. There is no arguments. There are no stupid debates. There is simply a positive atmosphere focused on construction.

This has nothing to do with a recession and everything to do with MIA moderation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 12:12 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is online now
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 12,826
I would agree moderation has been missing and am glad that you bring it up. mersar has been only logging in once every few weeks it looks like so that might be an issue we will have to address.
__________________
The Colour Green
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 2:22 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Um... no. But I could see how someone from Edmonton might want to think that. Partially it seems like the Calgary subforum has been neglected to the point that it has reached it's current state because other people wanted to see the forum fail perhaps, to reinforce the above kinds of ideas about Calgary struggling therefore it only makes sense the Calgary sub forum would struggle too.

Development in Calgary has been remarkably steady over the past few years, and there are still the same number of people interested in development. The biggest problem has been Calgary forum moderation has been MIA over the past three years, as more people who actively hate development have come in and stirred up problems over and over and over again.

I notice there doesn't seem to be any Calgary-based moderators, and the hands off moderation over the past two/three years has led to a bunch of grumpy instigating individuals who hate condos, urban development, and wish the world was 100% full of large lot single family detached homes. These individuals constantly rehash the same commentary which inspires vapid back and forth and degrades the quality of numerous threads, including the Calgary Construction thread.

What this place needed was moderators to remove and police all the off topic debate and keep the construction thread focused on construction. These voices should never have been allowed to move in and pollute all these threads.

SRC, for better or worse, shows what happens at a properly moderated construction forum. There is no toxicity. There is no arguments. There are no stupid debates. There is simply a positive atmosphere focused on construction.

This has nothing to do with a recession and everything to do with MIA moderation.
There's no arguments, etc. at SRC because it's an echo chamber. Is that what you want here? No dissenting opinions? This forum does not need policing. I would argue it doesn't even need moderation. What it does need is a lot more open-minded people and a lot less preaching from ideologues trying to indoctrinate those that don't agree with them.

There also needs to be a lot less bitching about how good this place used to be. As far as I'm concerned one of the main reasons this place is the way it is now is because every tenth post or so is like that. SRC isn't a result of this place falling apart. It was a business opportunity for someone and they ran with it. It would have happened regardless of how great this place was.

Anyway, put me down for NO censorship and I don't care if we go off topic occasionally. The world isn't black & white so would this forum be? If you don't like something skip over it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 3:28 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,091
I find it amusing to consider the context in which you invoke the concepts of "echo chambers" and "censorship".

What does it mean for a construction related forum to exist in an "echo chamber"? SRC has a list of threads detailing different construction projects, and each project has updates regarding aspects of the construction. Glazing, construction materials, spandrel are discussed. The kinds of talk that used to exist here. There isn't an "echo chamber" regarding the best type of glazing or spandrel or exterior materials. In fact, some people over there are quite critical of some of the design decisions on certain buildings.

So what is really being censored? What exactly is the echo chamber?

I find people invoke "echo chamber" and "censorship" often when they feel their contributions are being shut down which they self aggrandize as brilliant. No, it isn't a brilliant observation to point out the negative aspects of condominum living for the billionth time in a general construction thread. No, it isn't a brilliant observation to continually derail the construction thread over the investment differences between single family homes and condominiums. No, it isn't a brilliant observation to continually post links to inner city crime while never posting links to suburban crime.

Moderation should focus on keeping conversations organized and on track. Recognizing that the construction thread is being derailed for the billionth time by the same people over the same arguments is about putting those discussions in the right place (we have a thread related to this: Housing Choices - where you choose to live). Recognizing that the same people are continually stirring up garbage and trolling these threads and potentially banning them is about keeping the peace, keeping the discussion on track, and recognizing the toxicity that some people inherently bring to the discussion.

Again, people want to cry "censorship" and calling this an "echo chamber", but this is a forum dedicated to urban development. Just like you wouldn't go on a car forum and repeatedly over and over talk about how cars are terrible investments, you should never own a depreciating asset, and that biking is one true way mode of transportation, you shouldn't really go on an urban development forum and constantly stir up garbage.

Not to mention, there are clearly delinated thread topics which cover all sorts of these conversations that makes it easy for people to ignore. By polluting what used to be informative threads like the Calgary Construction thread with these asinine debates, you are making the entire forum's signal to noise ratio ridiculous, and no one in their right mind would wade through all the garbage to get to the posts that actually talk about what they care about in the first place, which is construction updates.

I will repeat, the problem is and has been over the past 3 years a lack of moderation, and as a result there has been an influx of these shit disturbers who keep rehashing the same off topic debates in the construction forum and elsewhere, and these people are clearly trolling, rules are not being enforced, and likely they should have been banned, suspended, and the conversations more aggressively deliniated along their respective thread topics so that the signal to noise ratio is maintained at a rational level.

Unfortunately, all of this is a lot of work, especially with the recent influx of trolling contributors. I can't imagine anyone outside of Calgary would bother to care enough to maintain the conversation, and having a Calgary mod who only logs in once every few weeks explains everything.

It takes an engaged moderation team to keep forums and discussions on niche topics like urban development on track, and the Calgary sub forum on this particular forum has been sorely missing it for years. As a result, many many many many valuable contributors have left.

And again, it's probably too late to change course now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 8:15 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I find it amusing to consider the context in which you invoke the concepts of "echo chambers" and "censorship".
This forum used to be a lot worse. People would come here to discuss specific projects that they felt were going to negatively impact their community and they would be instantly attacked. Dissenting opinions were viciously attacked. If you didn't buy into the group think you were attacked. You have no idea what you're talking about if you think the old days were the good days. They weren't. They were horrible.

Quote:
What does it mean for a construction related forum to exist in an "echo chamber"? SRC has a list of threads detailing different construction projects, and each project has updates regarding aspects of the construction. Glazing, construction materials, spandrel are discussed. The kinds of talk that used to exist here. There isn't an "echo chamber" regarding the best type of glazing or spandrel or exterior materials. In fact, some people over there are quite critical of some of the design decisions on certain buildings.
I've never found this forum to be all that big on actual construction talk. It's always been more about the project as a whole. Technical talk would likely eliminate most of us from the discussion. If that's what you want I'll check out because I have no problem admitting I know next to nothing other than offering my two cents on the overall design of buildings.

Quote:
So what is really being censored? What exactly is the echo chamber?

I find people invoke "echo chamber" and "censorship" often when they feel their contributions are being shut down which they self aggrandize as brilliant. No, it isn't a brilliant observation to point out the negative aspects of condominum living for the billionth time in a general construction thread. No, it isn't a brilliant observation to continually derail the construction thread over the investment differences between single family homes and condominiums. No, it isn't a brilliant observation to continually post links to inner city crime while never posting links to suburban crime.
LOL! Your first sentence in the above paragraph is priceless. I can see why you were labeled as a hardcore leftist recently.

Concerning your condo example, you seem to be conveniently forgetting that others were claiming condos are always a good investment and that the vast majority were saying it's dependent on the situation. As for the crime stuff, you'll have to ask Suburbia about that.

Quote:
Moderation should focus on keeping conversations organized and on track. Recognizing that the construction thread is being derailed for the billionth time by the same people over the same arguments is about putting those discussions in the right place (we have a thread related to this: Housing Choices - where you choose to live). Recognizing that the same people are continually stirring up garbage and trolling these threads and potentially banning them is about keeping the peace, keeping the discussion on track, and recognizing the toxicity that some people inherently bring to the discussion.
A thread for every little diversion is not the solution. As for trolling, we obviously see things very differently. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because it definitely does. It's who's doing the trolling that we disagree on. I can live with it. I'd rather do my own moderating than have someone prescreen what I get to see. A big NO to that.

Quote:
Again, people want to cry "censorship" and calling this an "echo chamber", but this is a forum dedicated to urban development. Just like you wouldn't go on a car forum and repeatedly over and over talk about how cars are terrible investments, you should never own a depreciating asset, and that biking is one true way mode of transportation, you shouldn't really go on an urban development forum and constantly stir up garbage.
Where does it say that this forum is dedicated to urban development? And the reason people like me bring up censorship and echo chamber is because it's happened before and it's exactly what you're calling for. Are you afraid that your posts aren't as brilliant as you think they are and you're going to get called out on them?

Quote:
Not to mention, there are clearly delinated thread topics which cover all sorts of these conversations that makes it easy for people to ignore. By polluting what used to be informative threads like the Calgary Construction thread with these asinine debates, you are making the entire forum's signal to noise ratio ridiculous, and no one in their right mind would wade through all the garbage to get to the posts that actually talk about what they care about in the first place, which is construction updates.

I will repeat, the problem is and has been over the past 3 years a lack of moderation, and as a result there has been an influx of these shit disturbers who keep rehashing the same off topic debates in the construction forum and elsewhere, and these people are clearly trolling, rules are not being enforced, and likely they should have been banned, suspended, and the conversations more aggressively deliniated along their respective thread topics so that the signal to noise ratio is maintained at a rational level.

Unfortunately, all of this is a lot of work, especially with the recent influx of trolling contributors. I can't imagine anyone outside of Calgary would bother to care enough to maintain the conversation, and having a Calgary mod who only logs in once every few weeks explains everything.

It takes an engaged moderation team to keep forums and discussions on niche topics like urban development on track, and the Calgary sub forum on this particular forum has been sorely missing it for years. As a result, many many many many valuable contributors have left.

And again, it's probably too late to change course now.
There you go again with the hardcore leftist ideas. You might as well recommend that anyone who disagrees with you be sent to a reeducation camp to purge them of any nonconforming ideas they might.

"Engaged moderation" will result in exactly what I'm warning about. After everyone who has any dissenting ideas is either banned or driven from this place you'll be left with an echo chamber. You might think that's for the best but it isn't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 9:50 PM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,091
Ultimately, the Calgary Construction thread was a high profile, popular, active thread. The valuable contributors there were taking pictures of construction, talking about the construction updates, and so on.

A group of people came by, saw the activity, saw the number of eyeballs on that thread, and proceeded to inappropriately continuously stand on a soap box preaching about irrelevant topics in that thread. They exploited the activity of the thread and it's popularity to get their off topic inappropriate preachy messages out, which no one in that thread wanted to hear.

Constant talk about condo investment potential (which was brought up by suburban dwellers who hate condos), constant talk about inner city crime (precipitated by suburbia), constant talk about how houses are superior living abodes.

That isn't what people came to the Calgary Construction thread for, yet suburban dwellers kept pestering and polluting the thread, even as other threads were created to focus the irrelevant conversations elsewhere.

Why didn't the aforementioned conversations keep to the Housing Choices thread? Or the Crime Thread? Because no one visits those threads because no one wants to talk about those things on this forum. So these preachy opportunists continued to pollute the Calgary Construction thread because that is the only place people would engage them and see their posts.

They pretentiously assumed they had some brilliant messages to get out to an audience, and those silos weren't good enough to feed their unbridled egos.

Now instead of wading through all that crap, people have just left. So congratulates, you can now preach as much as you want, in this "non echo chamber". Except you are now preaching to almost an empty room.

Moderation has it's place, and it's absence is what sunk this forum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 10:29 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Ultimately, the Calgary Construction thread was a high profile, popular, active thread. The valuable contributors there were taking pictures of construction, talking about the construction updates, and so on.

A group of people came by, saw the activity, saw the number of eyeballs on that thread, and proceeded to inappropriately continuously stand on a soap box preaching about irrelevant topics in that thread. They exploited the activity of the thread and it's popularity to get their off topic inappropriate preachy messages out, which no one in that thread wanted to hear.

Constant talk about condo investment potential (which was brought up by suburban dwellers who hate condos), constant talk about inner city crime (precipitated by suburbia), constant talk about how houses are superior living abodes.

That isn't what people came to the Calgary Construction thread for, yet suburban dwellers kept pestering and polluting the thread, even as other threads were created to focus the irrelevant conversations elsewhere.

Why didn't the aforementioned conversations keep to the Housing Choices thread? Or the Crime Thread? Because no one visits those threads because no one wants to talk about those things on this forum. So these preachy opportunists continued to pollute the Calgary Construction thread because that is the only place people would engage them and see their posts.

They pretentiously assumed they had some brilliant messages to get out to an audience, and those silos weren't good enough to feed their unbridled egos.

Now instead of wading through all that crap, people have just left. So congratulates, you can now preach as much as you want, in this "non echo chamber". Except you are now preaching to almost an empty room.

Moderation has it's place, and it's absence is what sunk this forum.
You are making a lot of big assumptions. We have no idea what brought people to this site. For me it was a love of skyscrapers. I found the site doing a search. I had no idea that this site existed let alone that it covered so many non-skyscraper topics.

You're wrong if you think ALL of the best posters left to go to SRC. There used to be some "insider" type people here who had great info. They just disappeared and I don't think it had anything to do with this place. I think SurrealPlaces would have left regardless of what was happening here. My understanding is that SRC is a business opportunity for him and I don't blame him for taking it. I do wish he posted here more often as I enjoyed his take on things. His ability (willingness?) to post info without drenching it in ideology was much appreciated by me and I'm sure others.

Bashing the suburbs isn't going to help the Construction thread unless you're suggesting that we only talk about projects that are inner city. My vote on that is NO! I want to know about projects all over the city and I'm sure others do as well.

Insulting people isn't going to help either. This is about your third post in a row where you've insulted the intelligence of those that don't agree with you. Not cool!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 11:18 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
So there is a lot of griping about how SSP Calgary is becoming a bit intolerable and noticing that other sites are drawing away some users here. I understand that moderation has been a problem in the last two years for various reasons but also the embedded level of hostility within the community has ratcheted up. Part of this comes down to increasing levels of partisanship and some of it is due to increased levels of agitation that come from living within a stressed economy.

So I thought I would open the floor here to discuss these issues. What do you think needs to happen? What do you suppose can smooth over the partisanship? What do you think can lighten the agitation? Let's hear some ideas. And preferably let's hash it here so we can collect these ideas.
Xelebes:

Thank-you for starting this thread. Indeed this has become a challenging place for discussion, and personally I feel bullied on a regular basis. No matter what I contribute, there are those who will immediately attempt to put a negative spin on what I say. If this doesn't get corrected soon, this forum (from a Calgary perspective) will continue to collapse.

Last edited by suburbia; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:19 AM
5seconds's Avatar
5seconds 5seconds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,614
I said it during the election, and I'll say it again. I feel that this forum has become toxic, and find myself simply avoiding it most of the time.

There was a time where I would come here to learn about and discuss all kinds of development topics. I would have good interactions with people who likely disagreed with my own opinions, but it didn't matter because it was civil. My big area of interest, the ring road, is a minefield of disagreement and the potential for hostility, yet this was one place where those discussions were usually pretty constructive.

In the last week I have been told to 'shut the fuck up and get back in my box' and had someone PM me directly with sarcastic criticism about my editing a post that I felt needed more context, and then literally telling me to post something that they decided that I should have included the first time. (I'm not sure that I agree with Corndogger that today is any better with regards to being attacked for discussing things that impact your community!)

I contribute so little to the forum these days that it really doesn't matter to me, but I think it's a shame because it was such a great place for discussion, and it just doesn't have what it once did, including some of the more thoughtful contributors. Is it moderation? Perhaps, but it just feels a less welcoming place to discuss some of these topics than it did even 2-3 years ago.
__________________
My Southwest Calgary Ring Road Blog: calgaryringroad.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:20 AM
Tarsus's Avatar
Tarsus Tarsus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,062
That's just it. While some don't like a forum where there isn't many debating and arguing, most of us are interested in development, architecture and construction, and that's what SRC offers.
People won't want to hear thus, but I'll brutally honest. I doubt things can be reversed here. Someone said this in an earlier post and they were dead on - the people still here and still posting only want debate, and those who have left want development, architecture and construction. Those who have left have found what they want, and there's no reason to come back. I'll probably check in here once in awhile, but for the most part it's pointless as I am finding everything I'm interested in at SRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post

SRC, for better or worse, shows what happens at a properly moderated construction forum. There is no toxicity. There is no arguments. There are no stupid debates. There is simply a positive atmosphere focused on construction.

This has nothing to do with a recession and everything to do with MIA moderation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:22 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
I said it during the election, and I'll say it again. I feel that this forum has become toxic, and find myself simply avoiding it most of the time.

There was a time where I would come here to learn about and discuss all kinds of development topics. I would have good interactions with people who likely disagreed with my own opinions, but it didn't matter because it was civil. My big area of interest, the ring road, is a minefield of disagreement and the potential for hostility, yet this was one place where those discussions were usually pretty constructive.

In the last week I have been told to 'shut the fuck up and get back in my box' and had someone PM me directly with sarcastic criticism about my editing a post that I felt needed more context, and then literally telling me to post something that they decided that I should have included the first time. (I'm not sure that I agree with Corndogger that today is any better with regards to being attacked for discussing things that impact your community!)

I contribute so little to the forum these days that it really doesn't matter to me, but I think it's a shame because it was such a great place for discussion, and it just doesn't have what it once did, including some of the more thoughtful contributors. Is it moderation? Perhaps, but it just feels a less welcoming place to discuss some of these topics than it did even 2-3 years ago.
Being told to shut the fuck up, etc. is totally unacceptable. That kind of shit should not be allowed period.

I don't always agree with what you have to say but I do appreciate your input, especially your Stoney Trail posts and the historical background you provide on it and other roads in the area. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. I would just keep posting. Don't be silenced by those that have issues with what you say.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:40 AM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4,117
I believe the entire Calgary subforum is similar to the Connect2Edmonton forum in a nutshell. There are a variety threads that attract people from all walks of life, it doesn't surprise me that some suburban forumers will start commenting in the Calgary Construction thread. The Calgary subforum needs an active moderator as I (being an Edmontonian) hardly ever post here, let alone read anything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:03 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I believe the entire Calgary subforum is similar to the Connect2Edmonton forum in a nutshell. There are a variety threads that attract people from all walks of life, it doesn't surprise me that some suburban forumers will start commenting in the Calgary Construction thread. The Calgary subforum needs an active moderator as I (being an Edmontonian) hardly ever post here, let alone read anything.
I just want to be clear and say I don't have a problem with suburban forumers. There are many suburban forumers in the Calgary section which are great contributors. speedog, rollerstud98, and so on.

It might not be obvious to those who live in Edmonton and don't really follow the Calgary sub forum very much, but there is a very specific cohort of suburban forumers who are addicted to drama, constantly derail threads, and have ruined without hope the Calgary Construction thread.

If the Calgary forum had an active mod, these people could have been warned, suspended, possibly banned. Instead, they drove away a large part of this sub forum, increased the toxicity, to now the Calgary sub forum is actually more toxic than the Canada forum. An amazing situation for those who have been paying attention.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:41 AM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post

LOL! Your first sentence in the above paragraph is priceless. I can see why you were labeled as a hardcore leftist recently.
What exactly was hardcore leftist in what he said? It’s true. “Echo chamber” is used by the same people who troll while accusing everyone else of trolling and also sometimes use terms like “libtard”.

Quote:
A thread for every little diversion is not the solution. As for trolling, we obviously see things very differently. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because it definitely does. It's who's doing the trolling that we disagree on. I can live with it. I'd rather do my own moderating than have someone prescreen what I get to see. A big NO to that.
I actually kind of agree with this but feel that there are certain forumers that should have been banned long ago. Suburbia’s been better lately but he is definitely one of them along with Bad Grizzly and some of the newer members like Northern.

Quote:
Where does it say that this forum is dedicated to urban development? And the reason people like me bring up censorship and echo chamber is because it's happened before and it's exactly what you're calling for. Are you afraid that your posts aren't as brilliant as you think they are and you're going to get called out on them?
It’s implicit. Anyone who’s ever creeped this site for any amount of time before joining can see that.

Quote:
There you go again with the hardcore leftist ideas. You might as well recommend that anyone who disagrees with you be sent to a reeducation camp to purge them of any nonconforming ideas they might.

"Engaged moderation" will result in exactly what I'm warning about. After everyone who has any dissenting ideas is either banned or driven from this place you'll be left with an echo chamber. You might think that's for the best but it isn't.
There you go again. What did he say that was so radically leftwing? What, because he can string together a coherent sentence and make a compelling argument he’s one of them “fancy” and intellectual “elites”?
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:42 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,091
Corndogger is a troll who is stalking me and only posting ridiculously toxic rhetoric against almost everything I say. He's not worth engaging.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:00 AM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
That's just it. While some don't like a forum where there isn't many debating and arguing, most of us are interested in development, architecture and construction, and that's what SRC offers.
People won't want to hear thus, but I'll brutally honest. I doubt things can be reversed here. Someone said this in an earlier post and they were dead on - the people still here and still posting only want debate, and those who have left want development, architecture and construction. Those who have left have found what they want, and there's no reason to come back. I'll probably check in here once in awhile, but for the most part it's pointless as I am finding everything I'm interested in at SRC.
Maybe I enjoy debate but more than that I feel loyalty to this site. I’ve been here almost a decade now and have met many awesome people. I wish we could have a happy medium of construction updates mixed with some debate. SRC just doesn’t seem to have the same soul.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:38 AM
Suburgatory's Avatar
Suburgatory Suburgatory is offline
Director of Hindsight
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 479
The reason the Calgarypuck hockey section stays laser focused on hockey, the Tech forum laser focused on Tech, Food & Entertainment laser focused on just that, with thousands of active members, is because it's heavily moderated. There's only been the occasional bare minimum moderation here which was not to force members to follow any ground rules but to just delete a few insulting or confrontational posts and shuffle off topic posts now and then to another section.

There nothing wrong with a little tangential conversation that's bound to happen amongst regular members like the Great Cupcake Debate of '08 but when things get to the point of the majority of the members arguing about American politics and leftist this, righty that, it's too late.

This place used to be one where everyone's main purpose here was to share a similar interest (construction, planning, transit, infrastructure, etc). Most also contributed as much to the information and updates as they took away from the forum. That is not happening now.

Only other thing, sorry suburbia but you played the part of some antagonistic character here for years, which morphed into a period of veiled sarcastic comments that no one understood, to now being unsure of the few users left who exactly you can get a rise out of. I can't believe you're seriously complaining about being bullied when you've been poking everyone with a stick.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:39 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Corndogger is a troll who is stalking me and only posting ridiculously toxic rhetoric against almost everything I say. He's not worth engaging.
Now you're painting yourself as a victim because I don't agree with your opinions nor your take on what's happened here? Oh, and you're trying to silence me. Sounds like very familiar tactics used by certain groups.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:34 AM
technomad's Avatar
technomad technomad is offline
commissar of cannabis
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberia
Posts: 537
I'll add to the calls that it's primarily the total lack of moderation that's been the death knell here.. I'm all for off topic conversation, but it doesn't really belong in the construction thread (I know I've made water-cooler grade posts there too..)

SRC is a great photo gallery, but there isn't all that much interesting conversation there. I find the debate to be much more lively here, even if it does descend into some familiar loops at times (and everyone who plays is guilty..)

we just need a couple of active mods to file any off-topic chat into appropriate threads, will help bigly!

they will have their work cut out at first, but eventually people's habits will change to posting in the right threads

given the slower pace of construction and related chatter, wonder if a flatter format like the Edmonton subforum would be a better fit for Calgary now?
__________________
“I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it." - Voltaire

Last edited by technomad; Dec 12, 2017 at 5:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.