HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2621  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 5:51 PM
polishavenger polishavenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danma View Post
In other news, I went to lunch at Sushi Zipang in Bridgeland today. It was faboo!

Dan
They are pretty good, a touch pricey for what you get (I live across the street from them, very convenient for take out). If you are an avid Sushi fan, I would direct you to globe fish, easily my favorite.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2622  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 5:56 PM
polishavenger polishavenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Speaking of Red Mile- handwritten sign on door said "closed until April" (which sucks if you wanted Kumpir); but yesterday there was one of those landlord letters on the door... looks like another one on that strip bites the dust; three empty storefronts, by far the worst shape that complex has been in since I've lived in Calgary.
Thats probably a result of the very high rents they were able to get out of new tenants during the boom, which I imagine now are very burdensome with the slow down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2623  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:36 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Interesting discussion on chowhound the other day: Sushi Motto had a $20 for $50 of sushi deal on Deal of the Day (red flag deals' groupon type site) and they sold more than 4000. Some of us are concerned how a resto can survive this sort of "success." They are selling more than $200,000 worth of food for $80,000- and a chunk of that $80,000 goes to red flag. How do restos make money with these things? Drinks?
Make it up with volume? This worked in the dot-com era...

Seriously though, it's just an indication of insanely high markups. Plenty of retail operates this way too. The Winnipegger in me still whispers "never pay full price for anything". It's a way of life for an entire city, and somehow businesses still survive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2624  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:38 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Great, now there's a bona fide latte lifter in city hall..

You win the Internets for today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2625  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 11:10 PM
Danma's Avatar
Danma Danma is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
They are pretty good, a touch pricey for what you get (I live across the street from them, very convenient for take out). If you are an avid Sushi fan, I would direct you to globe fish, easily my favorite.
Globefish has some pretty cool rolls and temaki, but for nigiri Zipang is tops in my books. I respect a sushi place that won't serve me toro if they don't have any worth serving...

Just talking about sushi make me
__________________
http://www.pocky.org/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2626  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 11:33 PM
polishavenger polishavenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danma View Post
Globefish has some pretty cool rolls and temaki, but for nigiri Zipang is tops in my books. I respect a sushi place that won't serve me toro if they don't have any worth serving...

Just talking about sushi make me
I think I know where Im going for dinner tonight. I would also put globefish ahead in terms of nigiri as well, but both places are great. Comes down to preference really.

If you want something thats decent, and a good price, I would check out Ichiban on macleod and 42nd.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2627  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 12:32 AM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
I think I know where Im going for dinner tonight. I would also put globefish ahead in terms of nigiri as well, but both places are great. Comes down to preference really.

If you want something thats decent, and a good price, I would check out Ichiban on macleod and 42nd.
I find Globefish a bit over rated. Last time I tried Ichiband it was comparable to mall sushi. Went to my old stand-by Sushi Hibiki in Bridgeland. They had some really good Toro.

My buddy and I made pigs out of ourselves and the tab was only $42. I've heard of others not having good service there, but I've never had bad service or bad food there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2628  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 5:03 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Danma, the best nigiri I've had in Calgary is at O Shima, and for December (or at least the next while), most nigiri is $1. Not toro but most items. The pieces are a tad smaller (I think) than usual but it's still an amazing deal for the most elegant nigiri, IMHO, in town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2629  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 2:23 AM
ginsberg ginsberg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
best sushi in the city is Sushi Club in Kensington. By far. Everywhere else is just okay in comparison, IMO. You pay for it though. Globefish is incredibly overrated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2630  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 5:30 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Sushi Club has its good and bad points. The room is awful. Nigiri is usually superb and you can get some pretty rare things there, like beautiful non-farmed west coast salmon... it's actually like Blowfish in that regard, there's always something special on the menu. The problem is that Sushi Club's rolls are, sorry, terrible. They are ridiculously overpriced (like $14 for a "giant roll" comprising FOUR pieces), rolled without care so on an outside roll the rice doesn't even cover the thing- it's like they have contempt for people who order maki and make it as badly as possible.

I'll say again, if you think Sushi Club (or Wa's or Zipang, etc) have the best nigiri in town, I urge you to check out O Shima.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2631  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:48 PM
Danma's Avatar
Danma Danma is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 212
I will try O Shima and get back to you
__________________
http://www.pocky.org/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2632  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 12:47 AM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Had way too much fun at the Blues Can yesterday. Great food, awesome music and a bit too much beer. I had the baked macaroni and cheese. Very tasty. Friends had the beef dip and said it was awesome, we were going to try the frog legs, but we pussied out.

Here's a clip from the jam. Old guy on guitar is Tim Williams, not sure who the young guy is, but he held his own.

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2633  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 2:42 AM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
Serious question, when did mac'n'cheese become something people eat at restaurants?

Growing up it was what poor people and university kids ate (the latter in the form of KD). The past couple of years, I'm seeing it springing up on all sorts of menus and people talk about it like it's just normal. Is this maybe an Alberta thing and I'm just noticing it now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2634  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:02 AM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Serious question, when did mac'n'cheese become something people eat at restaurants?

Growing up it was what poor people and university kids ate (the latter in the form of KD). The past couple of years, I'm seeing it springing up on all sorts of menus and people talk about it like it's just normal. Is this maybe an Alberta thing and I'm just noticing it now?
Big difference between KD and baked macaroni and cheese made with 3 different types of cheese.


Why would it not be normal? You can't get any more normal than comfort food.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2635  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:06 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Serious question, when did mac'n'cheese become something people eat at restaurants?
Been on menues for years and years. The lobster mac n cheese has been on the menu at Brava for as long as it's been open.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2636  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 5:48 AM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Big difference between KD and baked macaroni and cheese made with 3 different types of cheese.


Why would it not be normal? You can't get any more normal than comfort food.
Like I said, maybe it's an Alberta thing, or maybe I just grew up and traveled in caves. To me it's the equivalent of having meatloaf or sloppy Joes on a fancy restaurant menu. It just always seemed the pasta dish "left off" most menus - lasagna, check. Fettuccine Alfredo, check. Cannelloni stuffed with whatever, check. Spaghetti, check. But macaroni? I realize it doesn't make much sense, it's all pasta.

And as rusty points out, there's a lobster mac'n'cheese that's damn near world famous according to some folks I know. The first time I heard of that I almost did a spit take. It sounded a bit like steak and french fries.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2637  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:03 AM
Jimby's Avatar
Jimby Jimby is offline
not a NIMBY
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
l pasta.

And as rusty points out, there's a lobster mac'n'cheese that's damn near world famous according to some folks I know. The first time I heard of that I almost did a spit take. It sounded a bit like steak and french fries.
Steak frites is a classic mainstay of bistros and brasseries everywhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2638  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 1:59 PM
Me&You Me&You is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,654
And Wildwood had a fantastic meatloaf that I had no qualms with ordering. More often than not, the ingredients align with the type of restaurant and you end up with delicious comfort food.

Nine times out of ten, I'm happier with a great mac n' cheese or meatloaf than more "normal" restaurant fare...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2639  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:06 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Nine times out of ten, I'm happier with a great mac n' cheese or meatloaf than more "normal" restaurant fare...
Me too. I just took a look at the menu for the place my office is going for Xmas lunch, and I swear that every single dish has something "weird" added to it, just for the sake of looking snooty.

"Grade AAA steak, grilled to perfection, served with your choice of potato and CARAMELIZED WHALE MUCUS". That sort of thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2640  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 11:03 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Me too. I just took a look at the menu for the place my office is going for Xmas lunch, and I swear that every single dish has something "weird" added to it, just for the sake of looking snooty.

"Grade AAA steak, grilled to perfection, served with your choice of potato and CARAMELIZED WHALE MUCUS". That sort of thing.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.