HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6621  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 5:29 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
Great map... Thanks.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the new Francesco's on 26th Ave SW? It was a small Italian store run by a guy named Francesco that was recently taken over by a couple that seem to have their shit together. Basically a tiny cafe with a small italian goods selection (meats, cheeses and a few sundries)

I've only stopped in once and wasn't paying too close attention, but they have a small selection of carefully sourced beans (including Fratello and Stoke) and on the day I was there they made me a great coffee and a superb breakfast sandwich. As a go to place heading west (from Bankview) I'll now stop there over Vie any day.
Was last there maybe a year ago- will check it out! You don't like Vie? I've never had coffee there but when they first opened they were using Sierra Las Minas, which is an excellent Calgary roaster with direct trade relationships with Guatemalan farms and which I wish had a bigger presence here- the only shop that uses them consistently is The House. What they (SLM) need is some effort at, and I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, BRANDING. Their logo is horrible and it looks cheap: http://sierralasminascoffee.com/

Contrast that with the cool, modern logos on eg Roast at Kingsland Farmers' Market: http://www.roastcoffeeandtea.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6622  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 7:04 PM
McMurph McMurph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Was last there maybe a year ago- will check it out! You don't like Vie? I've never had coffee there but when they first opened they were using Sierra Las Minas, which is an excellent Calgary roaster with direct trade relationships with Guatemalan farms and which I wish had a bigger presence here- the only shop that uses them consistently is The House. What they (SLM) need is some effort at, and I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, BRANDING. Their logo is horrible and it looks cheap: http://sierralasminascoffee.com/

Contrast that with the cool, modern logos on eg Roast at Kingsland Farmers' Market: http://www.roastcoffeeandtea.ca/
My problem with Vie is that I've never been convinced that their staff is of the same quality as their stuff. I've had a few surprisingly unimpressive coffees there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6623  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 12:22 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
My problem with Vie is that I've never been convinced that their staff is of the same quality as their stuff. I've had a few surprisingly unimpressive coffees there.
Sounds disturbingly like Good Earth- their coffees are top-notch, some award winning in fact, and they have this awful inconsistency. I'll pop in Vie next time I'm at the market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6624  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 4:49 AM
stophs stophs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 237
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but looks like El Charrito Taqueria is opening a location in Kensington (10th street near Booster Juice).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6625  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 2:53 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I purposely walked by there today and I could hear construction sounds coming from within. So I pounded on the wall and screamed, "Hurry up you Phuckers!!!"

Then ran into Holt Renfrew. I've been hanging by The Hermes' store lately. As I 'm starting to worry about my retirement if the housing market craters. So my plan B is to find me a sugar momma.

But I digress.
Glad to hear that they have been working, good luck with the second part...
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6626  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 3:47 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Man North central of downtown is a wasteland.

I keep meaning to try this place, but I have no idea if the high review is accurate

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/18046...t-Cafe-Calgary
Pretty much anywhere outside of the core is a wasteland from the looks of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6627  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 4:01 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Pretty much anywhere outside of the core is a wasteland from the looks of it.
For coffee yeah, though it's not as if you can't find coffee all over the city, just not of this calibre. But there's great food everywhere, depending on what you're in the mood for.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6628  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 4:07 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 22,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
The fact that since they went franchise they stopped requiring all their staff to go through barista training at Fratello. They were getting very strong a few years ago and have gone in the shitter- at the GE at Taylor Library the barista didn't know what an espresso was- "you really don't want any milk in that"? There are great locations with great staff but it's horribly inconsistent. Beans are well sourced and roast dated but they're just not consistent vs Artigiano as a chain example which is why I include it.
Interesting, thanks for the response.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6629  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 4:46 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Glad to hear that they have been working, good luck with the second part...
Thanks. Not having much luck on the second part. The sugar mommas that I actually find attractive can do way better than me. I might have to revise my standards.

In other news. State and Main is now open on 5th St and 8th Ave SW. Hopefully they have better luck than Seven did.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6630  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:30 PM
Habanero's Avatar
Habanero Habanero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dynamic city near the Rockies
Posts: 2,293
Has anyone tried one of the new pizza places on 17th? Sorry I can't even recall the names of them, but there were two that were opening. One was called Brooklyn style pizza, and it might have been opening in Hansen Square. The other was opening beside Roosevelt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6631  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:45 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Looks like Malcolms in Fifth Ave Place has finally shuffled off this mortal coil. Good riddance is all I have to say.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6632  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:54 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Has anyone tried one of the new pizza places on 17th? Sorry I can't even recall the names of them, but there were two that were opening. One was called Brooklyn style pizza, and it might have been opening in Hansen Square. The other was opening beside Roosevelt.
It's only one place, Bensonhurst, next to Roosevelt. Discussed a lot upthread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6633  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:05 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,260
A DP has been submitted for a rooftop greenhouse for this location on 8th ave (Downtownfood). A great place for one IMO. The DP was submitted by SAIT? Does SAIT run Downtownfood or are affiliated with it somehow?

Here

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Jun 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6634  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:47 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
A DP has been submitted for a rooftop greenhouse for this location on 8th ave (Downtownfood). A great place for one IMO. The DP was submitted by SAIT? Does SAIT run Downtownfood or are affiliated with it somehow?

Here
They had a garden up there last year, little surprised they didn't have the permits for it. Wonder if it's a joint venture between dtf and SAIT with SAIT using some of the production at their downtown store.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6635  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 8:25 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Thanks to the user who earlier suggested I take a look at Francesco's (26 Ave and 33 St SW, by Lukes Drug Mart in Killarney) to add to my coffee map. Checked it out after more than a year away. They have a small two-group Elektra espresso machine and could do with a new grinder too but the they sell beans from four roasters: Fratello, Rosso, Stoke (Revelstoke) and Caffe Fantastico (Victoria). The espresso I got was a little long but made with perfect competence and was $2, which is unheard of these days at third wavers (count on $3) and they had the Fantastico on the bar today but switch it up almost daily according to the owner. They also have a full Italian deli with meatball sandwiches and the like.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6636  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 10:14 PM
Me&You Me&You is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
A DP has been submitted for a rooftop greenhouse for this location on 8th ave (Downtownfood). A great place for one IMO. The DP was submitted by SAIT? Does SAIT run Downtownfood or are affiliated with it somehow?

Here
SAIT does not run DTF, nor are they affiliated in anyway, aside from this greenhouse project. I'll have to ask again to clarify, but SAIT was offering / sponsoring a grant for local greenhouse production and DTF "won".

They're doing it right and taking 'locally sourced' very seriously - they even keep bees up there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6637  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 3:57 AM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,260
That makes sense, as SAIT was the one who submitted the DP. I take it the greenhouse is needed so they can do local growing all year round? I wish them total success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
SAIT does not run DTF, nor are they affiliated in anyway, aside from this greenhouse project. I'll have to ask again to clarify, but SAIT was offering / sponsoring a grant for local greenhouse production and DTF "won".

They're doing it right and taking 'locally sourced' very seriously - they even keep bees up there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6638  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 2:29 PM
PrairieGirl204 PrairieGirl204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
Question Restaurant Suggestions for Skip

Hey everyone, I just moved to Calgary (I'm originally from MB) to help out with my friend's local startup - www.SkipTheDishes.ca The group offers online ordering for local restaurants (pickup and delivery), when you're too busy, need to order food to your desk, forgot to grocery shop or don't want to head out in some sort of crazy blizzard or monsoon (maybe that is just a Winnipeg thing).

I was wondering if you could help me out with suggestions of local restaurants you want to see signed up. Cheers, wishing you all an amazing Friday! TGIF!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6639  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:14 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl204 View Post
Hey everyone, I just moved to Calgary (I'm originally from MB) to help out with my friend's local startup - www.SkipTheDishes.ca The group offers online ordering for local restaurants (pickup and delivery), when you're too busy, need to order food to your desk, forgot to grocery shop or don't want to head out in some sort of crazy blizzard or monsoon (maybe that is just a Winnipeg thing).

I was wondering if you could help me out with suggestions of local restaurants you want to see signed up. Cheers, wishing you all an amazing Friday! TGIF!
I think there is a business that already does this. Forgot the name though.

But if they want to make a go of it, I would love for places like CIBO and Wurst to be on there.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6640  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:42 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl204 View Post
Hey everyone, I just moved to Calgary (I'm originally from MB) to help out with my friend's local startup - www.SkipTheDishes.ca The group offers online ordering for local restaurants (pickup and delivery), when you're too busy, need to order food to your desk, forgot to grocery shop or don't want to head out in some sort of crazy blizzard or monsoon (maybe that is just a Winnipeg thing).

I was wondering if you could help me out with suggestions of local restaurants you want to see signed up. Cheers, wishing you all an amazing Friday! TGIF!
Look for options for people with food allergies (gluten, dairy, etc.) the choice of places that do gluten free and deliver is less than 10, and 5 are pizza places.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.