HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
All those windows are in your office???!!!
Yes, but not "my private office", the generic "office" meaning my place of work. But there's no private office so I have access to all those windows plus 3 more with a southern exposure.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:37 PM

Oct 25th:

Nov 2nd:

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:41 PM
Fishtown & Country

Only had my phone... from Saturday, 11/4

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:58 PM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:06 PM

This morning:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:41 PM
Philly Pholly

That's a lot of blank wall facing city hall.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
That's a lot of blank wall facing city hall.
It's set back pretty far from the street. After the first 6 or so floors, the glass takes over.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 1:23 PM

Who owns the gap between the R-C hotel and residences?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 1:55 PM

If you are referring to the private garden and waterfall, that's part of the Residences.

Cladding on the southern facade growing:

This morning I was worried when I got off the MFL. There was an ambulance, firetruck and 3 EMT vehicles in front of the W. I asked a fireman if a W worker got hurt, and he said it wasn't related to the construction site.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Who owns the gap between the R-C hotel and residences?
The Ritz-Carlton hotel I believe...half of it is a gated garden area for hotel guests. The other half is an ungated, uninviting, barren public "plaza". I don't think it will ever be or can be built on.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:12 PM

Unless retail of some sort could go there (even less doubtful) a public garden would be redundant and, likely underutilized with the much larger, nicer and easily accessible Dillworth Park right across the street - not to mention the LOVE Park soon and, eventually a revamped Municipal Building Park as well. That stretch is an odd spot that doesn't lead anywhere, has active driveways and confusing traffic. It's not a great pedestrian spot, but that's ok with the over abundance so nearby. It could maybe use some public art to spruce it up, but I wouldn't get too worked up over it being barren or under utilized.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
The Ritz-Carlton hotel I believe...half of it is a gated garden area for hotel guests. The other half is an ungated, uninviting, barren public "plaza". I don't think it will ever be or can be built on.
No, it's listed as an amenity for the Condos:
•Private gated garden featuring a cascading waterfall and flower garden offering an oasis for peaceful relaxation

It's a nice little plaza if it weren't for the hotel loading dock right next to it..and the traffic around city hall wasn't so noisy. If the wind is blowing north or east you get the breeze from the waterfall and garden. I've run into friends on occasion while walking along that sidewalk and we've stopped to chat there.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
No, it's listed as an amenity for the Condos:
•Private gated garden featuring a cascading waterfall and flower garden offering an oasis for peaceful relaxation

It's a nice little plaza if it weren't for the hotel loading dock right next to it..and the traffic around city hall wasn't so noisy. If the wind is blowing north or east you get the breeze from the waterfall and garden. I've run into friends on occasion while walking along that sidewalk and we've stopped to chat there.
The gated, landscaped portion is for the condo. The blank, barren plaza in front of it that is pictured and described is a public space. It was criticized when the building was completed years ago. I think it is a disgrace. They could very easily put in a water feature and do some landscaping there too. But they have been trying to get a restaurant next to La Colombe forever. If they do, maybe that area can be used for some outdoor seating.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The gated, landscaped portion is for the condo. The blank, barren plaza in front of it that is pictured and described is a public space. It was criticized when the building was completed years ago. I think it is a disgrace. They could very easily put in a water feature and do some landscaping there too. But they have been trying to get a restaurant next to La Colombe forever. If they do, maybe that area can be used for some outdoor seating.
I remember the controversy around the plaza too. my memory of the situation is that it was there percent for art project but I might be confused.

In my opinion, all the area surrounding City Hall and the City Hall traffic circle is kind of lackluster. The City Hall apron is getting nicer and nicer but the ground floor, street facing stuff across the street is lagging.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
So the "plaza" is a public space owned by the residences? I have a hard time believing anyone would spend much time here rather than across the street.

I think part of the reason the retail space is vacant is because the building's street level is in desperate need of an update. Remove the ugly sheathing around the posts, bring the glass out so the walls aren't tucked behind them and extend the podium across the crappy little plaza and private park. There is enough space here for another retail location and the complete streetwall will make this entire block more appealing. Move the private park to the podium roof so the residents don't freak. It will get more use there anyway.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:32 PM

Did a photo shoot, but forgot to post this one. The tower has probably grown a floor or two since:

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
So the "plaza" is a public space owned by the residences? I have a hard time believing anyone would spend much time here rather than across the street.

I think part of the reason the retail space is vacant is because the building's street level is in desperate need of an update. Remove the ugly sheathing around the posts, bring the glass out so the walls aren't tucked behind them and extend the podium across the crappy little plaza and private park. There is enough space here for another retail location and the complete streetwall will make this entire block more appealing. Move the private park to the podium roof so the residents don't freak. It will get more use there anyway.
I wouldn't mind an additional retail space here, but they haven't been able to fill the space they have already. The Graham Building also has a vacant space. Maybe the W and general improvements coming to the adjacent 1500 block of Chestnut will help both these storefronts.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:49 PM
Philly Pholly

I always assumed this awkward little outdoor space was given for some sort of height variance.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:56 PM

Nov 10th:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 1:11 PM

Yesterday:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive