HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:07 PM

this is a bit off topic...I was walking home last night down Grand, and thought there are so many prime infill locations (i.e Clark & Barlowe bldg, the office depot, etc). Have there been any proposals for that stretch of Grand east of Franklin to Kingsbury?

Such a great area, specifically the C&B site, that I guess it's only a matter of time?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
this is a bit off topic...I was walking home last night down Grand, and thought there are so many prime infill locations (i.e Clark & Barlowe bldg, the office depot, etc). Have there been any proposals for that stretch of Grand east of Franklin to Kingsbury?

Such a great area, specifically the C&B site, that I guess it's only a matter of time?
The Clark and Barlow lot had a very appropriate plan for an apartment tower and grocery store, but King Reily shot it down becuase “traffic” and the developer stupidly forgot to donate to his campaign fund.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post

I have a source at Omni (Canadian developer behind the Atrium Village site) that informed me that they have possession of the Clark and Barlowe site (or soon will). Brininstool and Lynch behind the architecture.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:26 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zekas View Post

A panoramic view from River North to Lakeshore East
by YoChicago, on Flickr. Shot from a penthouse terrace at Optima Signature.

Click on the image to go to Flickr, then click the down arrow at the lower right of the image to view larger versions.
Damn, what a shot!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
The 'kinetic screen' on 333 could end up being pretty cool. I forget which airport I recently saw one, but the effect was quite nice. Sublte, but interesting as the wind changed it.
Boston Logan.

The effect is neat, but I liken it to a sly pair of con artists: The one waves a magic trick in your face while the other is stealing your wallet. The fact that they have to make the facade dance is an acknowledgment that its mass is too oppressive.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:21 PM

Not to sound nimby but traffic on Halsted is going to be HORRIBLE! However, between this and the Tribune project you are adding WAY more than i dreamed of to an area of the city i thought would languish for a looooong time. Makes me wonder how long Blommers and Pickens will be there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:52 PM

the Office Depot on Grand definitely needs to meet with a truckload of dynamite

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Not to sound nimby but traffic on Halsted is going to be HORRIBLE! However, between this and the Tribune project you are adding WAY more than i dreamed of to an area of the city i thought would languish for a looooong time. Makes me wonder how long Blommers and Pickens will be there.
its already horrible

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
The traffic is only terrible if you are in a car or bus - for bikes and pedestrians it is very nice.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
The traffic is only terrible if you are in a car or bus - for bikes and pedestrians it is very nice.
Usually a walker myself, just stating how congested it will get. It will barely move and then the idiots who block the intersection will stop everyone from getting to the highway ramps....it will be CARMEGEDDON!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:21 PM

They could always get rid of the street parking if Halsted is backed up too much from these buildings. Shift the parking deal meters to a side street.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnies23 View Post
They could always get rid of the street parking if Halsted is backed up too much from these buildings. Shift the parking deal meters to a side street.
Yes I imagine as Fulton Market gets built out all those side streets that right now are barren (Green, Peoria, Sangamon) will a) cross the tracks and b) take a lot off of pressure of Halsted.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I have a source at Omni (Canadian developer behind the Atrium Village site) that informed me that they have possession of the Clark and Barlowe site (or soon will). Brininstool and Lynch behind the architecture.
I believe the project is to officially begin in July, details still being finalized so we may see renderings sometime soon. Does anyone know if talks of grocery store still in play or that was just part of the original plan back in 2015? If anyone has more details for 353 W Grand, would love to hear them.

Definitely agree this intersection has potential. If Office Depot were to go (which I am surprised it stays in business), Marianos would be a great addition to this section of River North.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:10 PM

I know the city gets charged when they take down those meters...do they get credit if they put up new ones so that they can take others down at no cost?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:55 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Yes I imagine as Fulton Market gets built out all those side streets that right now are barren (Green, Peoria, Sangamon) will a) cross the tracks and b) take a lot off of pressure of Halsted.
Neither Peoria nor Sangamon cross the Milwaukee District tracks. More importantly however, is that they (along with Green, and every other N-S street in the area) are cut off by the Kennedy/Ohio feeder. If you want to head north from here, your only real options are Halsted or Ogden half a mile to the west. Heading east of the river presents itself with an even worse traffic scenario, since the Loop and River North aren't exactly a shortcut during rush hour.

Not sure what the city can do to address this. Traffic is going to be a nightmare as this part of Fulton Market gets built out.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:55 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
That's all well and good, but given that buses are the most convenient mode of public transit along or near the Halsted corridor, I'd say having them stuck in basically gridlocked traffic isn't a particularly good thing... (I'm a fairly frequent rider of the #8 bus, so I'm pretty familiar with the traffic choke points pretty much south of Division)

I definitely agree that removing the meters and adding a travel lane where necessary could be a good solution to the issue.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
That's all well and good, but given that buses are the most convenient mode of public transit along or near the Halsted corridor, I'd say having them stuck in basically gridlocked traffic isn't a particularly good thing... (I'm a fairly frequent rider of the #8 bus, so I'm pretty familiar with the traffic choke points pretty much south of Division)

I definitely agree that removing the meters and adding a travel lane where necessary could be a good solution to the issue.

Aaron (Glowrock)
It will take constant - armed - aggressive enforcement to get rid of the curbside spots - those are "owned" by the valets.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:35 PM
1st Ward

Edit: Wrong thread

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:35 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:13 AM

^^^ stop and think of the children - the children who will never see the moon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations