HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:08 AM

Technically the East and West side of long beach are divided by Pine avenue!! However natives to long beach usually look at it as the areas bounded by 4th to the south Wardlow to the North, the LA River to the west and Redondo to the East!! Technically it would be everything to the East of Pine not considering the North side and Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:30 PM

i agree that long beach needs to become busy not only during weekends but also weekdays..i hate looking at the pike so empty during weekdays...there's nothing to do after visiting the aquarium..no shopping spots! i hope that this progress of long beach won't be a striking development that died later on...and whose potential went down the drain...city officials should attract people by giving free concerts...when people have to pay much, they turn their backs off....

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 11:14 PM

Im still really confused as to why Long beach being a city with 500,000 people doesn't have a mall. The nearest mall is Lakewood! that's kind of strange to me! I've always said that that's what should have been done with city place or the pike!! more of an outdoor environment though with stores such as Macy's or H&M, Bannana Republic, Victoria Secret!! If those stores existed in the downtown area, I guarantee you pedestrian traffic would automatically be present on everyday of the week.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Life07 View Post
Im still really confused as to why Long beach being a city with 500,000 people doesn't have a mall. The nearest mall is Lakewood! that's kind of strange to me! I've always said that that's what should have been done with city place or the pike!! more of an outdoor environment though with stores such as Macy's or H&M, Bannana Republic, Victoria Secret!! If those stores existed in the downtown area, I guarantee you pedestrian traffic would automatically be present on everyday of the week.
just something to think about lblife. why do we need a mall to accomplish our retail goals? we once had a mall ya know, it's what we had before the city place center. it didn't work then and i don't think it would work now.

we're not irvine, or orange. we're a downtown. we could build our retail into the framework of the downtown like other great cities. malls are suburban solutions, i don't think they make sense for downtown environment. we need to give more support to building a great walkable downtown.

just my thoughts on it.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:29 AM

west ocean

Glad to hear you like the Aqua...I am narrowing down on a purchase at west ocean...what do you architecture opinions think about that building...how long do you think they will be selling for?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:12 AM

I am still all for free parking and free stuff to attract the people. Pomenade in Santa Monica offers free parking for three hours. Downtown Long Beach has less to offer so why should the parking be more? People don't want to spend $10 up front just to go to the Borders.

As for the West Ocean, when I called them before, they said they are sold out in the taller tower but they still have some units availabe in the shorter tower. The sales representative told me they'll try to close before the end of the year. With the current credit crunch situation, some of the buyers who have difficulty getting a loan might have no choice but to back out and default on their 3% deposit; in that case, more units should become available.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:30 AM
SC made me a hippie

What stores were in the mall at DTLB?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy View Post
What stores were in the mall at DTLB?
As I recall, in the 1980s, the anchor department stores were JC Penney, Montgomery Ward, and Buffums. Does anyone remember Buffums? They were a Long Beach-based department store, and had a store in Lakewood, and I think at the Marina Pacifica Mall too, before it was turned into a "power" center. They closed in the late 80s or early 90s.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisee View Post
just something to think about lblife. why do we need a mall to accomplish our retail goals? we once had a mall ya know, it's what we had before the city place center. it didn't work then and i don't think it would work now.

we're not irvine, or orange. we're a downtown. we could build our retail into the framework of the downtown like other great cities. malls are suburban solutions, i don't think they make sense for downtown environment. we need to give more support to building a great walkable downtown.

just my thoughts on it.
I don't believe I properly worded what I was trying to say!! what Im trying to say is that I would like to see our retail include some of these stores in the downtown!! I don't want to see a typical mall set up! but more of an urban shopping environment!! Something like union Square in San Fran! All these stores and department stores attract alot of activity to that area......With all the empty store fronts we have on pine and surrounding areas it would be nice to see them filled with some of those stores I mentioned earlier. I wish the Bath and Body works would have never closed as well as the express.....I feel that if they would of stayed open, other stores would have been attracted to the area at this point.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:41 AM

rolinda. who said they liked the aqua. i hate the thing. west ocean is a much better choice and probably the best current condo project we have to offer. i don't love the cities choice of colors for it, but it's a small price to pay for a pretty solid development.

ruby. totally agree about the parking, not sure why we charge so much but i have heard some city peeps talk about the same thing.

ya, downtown over the years has had some strong retail. if you were put it all together we would be in a good spot. the problem is that a lot of our past retail partners were incentivized with programs that were based upon years of existence. meaning that if a retailer stayed for x amount of years, they would get a large kickback or the kickback only existed up front if they promised to say for x amount of years. either way, you get the point. so the retailer hangs out for x amount of years, collects their incentive, then moves on. we've never created a sustainable environment for them.

build the retail into the framework of the city i say. screw the big nationals, think smaller. not mom and pop, but the happy middle ground.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 8:43 PM

I say a little bit of everything is a good choice.....some people like the big nationals!! so you should have those as well as some mom and pop and some in betweens to go to. That keeps the environment selective! Anyway on another note, just to let you all know, I've been noticing quite a bit of activity at the old press telegram building as of lately. I drive down 7th and 6th every day to hit the 710 for work and I've been noticing a lot of trucks hauling things out of the building and dumping trash for the past few weeks. Looks like there clearing the building for the construction that will take place.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Life07 View Post
I say a little bit of everything is a good choice.....some people like the big nationals!! so you should have those as well as some mom and pop and some in betweens to go to. That keeps the environment selective! Anyway on another note, just to let you all know, I've been noticing quite a bit of activity at the old press telegram building as of lately. I drive down 7th and 6th every day to hit the 710 for work and I've been noticing a lot of trucks hauling things out of the building and dumping trash for the past few weeks. Looks like there clearing the building for the construction that will take place.
That's a good thing. There is so much printing machinery that has to be removed... that alone is a daunting project.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:36 AM

Wink City planners mistakes

Is it just me or does it seem like the long beach city planners seem to make the same mistakes over again like when long beach plaza used to exist that mall didnt go to well cause it wasnt no market for it so they replaced it with the current mall and yet others on here are saying they dont like the wallmart and other stores that are there now also bad crime in the city which may be the reason why upscale shopping companies probably chose not to set up shop in long beach my point is if this city's planners was aware of the high crime rates and lack of attractions for the locals and tourists then how come they arnet fully addressing these issues.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 5:51 PM
"Ar n' Duthchas"

Talking Jergins Subway Re-opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Do you happen to know if this is near the Jergins Subway? It would be great if they could reopen that.
Ask and We Shall Receive

On Pine Avenue, beneath Ocean Boulevard, an elderly man with scissors snipped the pink ribbon and, as it fell away, the entrance to the Jergins Trust tunnel was one again opened Wednesday morning - along with 80 years of Long Beach history.

Morgan Humphrey, a lifelong Long Beach resident, cut the ribbon in front of the subway entrance, which opened it up to invited guests and the media. The public will be able to see inside the subway on Oct. 28 when a series of films are shown.

To set the mood of entering the tunnel built 80 years ago, Lis Roche and Jill Taylor, both senior theater majors, dressed in '20s clothing and stood near the entrance to greet guests.

Ron Petke, former president of the Long Beach Historical Society, set up a record player in the back of the tunnel and played music from the '20s to '40s. He also occasionally brought out his ukulele and strummed along with the music.

Ryan Smolar, coordinator of University by the Sea, said the Jergins Trust tunnel was a last-minute bonus. He chose it for the film festival after being taken on a private tour of it with Second District Councilwoman Suja Lowenthal.

Smolar said he picked it because "it's here. It's cool."

According to Smolar, it wasn't easy getting permission to use the tunnel because so many different city departments were involved.

The films that will be shown display Long Beach's history. Some of the films are home videos taken at The Pike while it was still an oceanfront amusement park and a major Los Angeles area destination. There will also be a first-person view of The Pike's old roller coaster.

There will also be films from Balboa Studios, a Long Beach production company in the early 20th century, that feature Buster Keaton and Ken Larkey.

One film features Earl Daugherty flying over Long Beach in 1918. Daugherty was one of the first people in the country to obtain a pilot license, and in the film he grazes over Pine Avenue, steals people's hats, and performs loop-de-loops.

The Jergins Trust tunnel was constructed in 1927 to provide safe passage for pedestrians to travel under Ocean Boulevard to the beach and The Pike. The subway is an art deco-style tunnel - a design featuring decorative tiles along the floor. Small kiosks and shops were once even opened up in the tunnel due to the amount of foot traffic through it. The area was nicknamed "Los Artesanos Village."

The subway's success didn't last and, in 1967, the tunnel was closed for safety reasons, despite the tunnel having survived a 1933 6.25-magnitude earthquake.

In the '80s, when the Jergins Trust Building was demolished, the entrances to the subway were sealed off and the subway was mostly forgotten. The tunnel was pushed further into the past when the Renaissance Hotel was constructed, which blocked off the north entrance of the subway.

Guests will be able to go inside the subway and watch historical films from noon until 8 p.m Oct. 28.

"It's gonna kick ass," said Smolar.

http://media.www.daily49er.com/media...-3026766.shtml

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 5:56 PM

Talking New project photos

Hi all,

Does anyone have any photos of their units and the new projects cropping up? It would be really great to show off our reemerging city... I want to focus on all the positive aspects that Long Beach has to offer. I wanted to hear from any owners in the lofts downtown, or in Long Beach in general, and hear why they chose their particular unit, and the commonly founds finishes amenities. Some of the projects I really like are 133 Promenade, Olive Court, and West Ocean. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

I heart LB... do you?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:36 PM

DLBA Event

I saw this in today's press-telegram. Is this any good? I am not sure what is "creative class".

In Basket: DLBA holds State of the Downtown
Article Launched: 10/08/2007 12:00:00 AM PDT

The Downtown Long Beach Associates will host its fourth State of the Downtown event on Nov. 14.

The luncheon is at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. The keynote speaker is Richard Florida, author of "The Rise of the Creative Class."

Florida, best known for his views on how creativity is revolutionizing the global economy, believes the "creative class" is the best bet for urban cities to develop a thriving economy.

The event draws up to 500 community leaders. Also speaking will be Long Beach Mayor Bob Foster and Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander.

For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.DowntownLongBeach.org or call (562) 436-4259.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:50 PM

Free Aquarium Admission for 5th District Residents

This is from LBReport.com. Not sure where is 5th district and where to check in for discounts. To attract people, they should waive the parking.

News
Oct 11 Evening Aquarium Freebie For Fifth District Residents: From 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Thurs Nite, 5th dist Residents Get Free Aquarium Admission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Oct. 10, 2007) -- Thursday Oct. 11 is 5th district Day at the Aquarium of the Pacific...and Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske says that from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Aquarium admission will be free to all 5th district residents.

Three caveats (1) Parking is $6.00. (2) The free Aquarium admission is only for 5th district residents and only from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Oct 11; and (3) 5th district residents need to check in at the designated 5th district table to receive discounts.

The Aquarium features 12,500 different sea creatures in 19 major habitats, including Shark Lagoon and three main galleries highlighting the major regions of the Pacific Ocean.

The Aquarium of the Pacific is located at 100 Aquarium Way. The office of 5th district Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske has further info if you need it: (562) 570-6932.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:23 AM

Wink Future attractions

What kind of great attractions like the aquarium of the pacific or the queen mary should be established in long beach one day i think an amusement park on a really big pier should be built in front of the Villa Riviera Building so that the locals and tourist can have something great to do while they are at the pike watching movies and eating at the restaurants,a boardwalk should be built along the beach until its reaches bixby park the open grass area on ocean blvd by the Blue painted old Hotel/Motel building should be redone cause it is showing major signs of erosion the closed off tunnel portal with the mural on it(located in front of bixby park) should be reopened and reactivated as a second entrance way to the beach the tunnel im talking about had a entrance way to the beach on the bixby park property but it was demolished in the late 90's or early 2000's.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 9:57 PM

Angry new project

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmnemonic View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone have any photos of their units and the new projects cropping up? It would be really great to show off our reemerging city... I want to focus on all the positive aspects that Long Beach has to offer. I wanted to hear from any owners in the lofts downtown, or in Long Beach in general, and hear why they chose their particular unit, and the commonly founds finishes amenities. Some of the projects I really like are 133 Promenade, Olive Court, and West Ocean. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

I heart LB... do you?

sorry, ive been trying to attach a picture of my unit...i just dont know how to do it:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:35 AM

Commenting on Proposed 3rd and Pine Block/Golds Gym Block

For those interested, which i assume will be all of you, i thought i would share the below announcement i came across. this is part of a new public commenting process the city is initiating, in order to give stakeholders in the area an opportunity to see and comment on proposed developments early on in the project. This project will take up the entire block and it's right in the middle of downtown. Historically you couldn't say much about a project until it was too far down the process. It will be interesting to hear early comments from the planning commission, since this is being presented to them as well as the public. There is no vote, it's basically just a preview.

If you've got opinions, and a lot of us do, i suggest checking it out and making your voice heard if you don't like what you see.

(from the city)
Please note that at this Thursday's (10/18) Planning Commission meeting there will be a presentation of a proposed mixed-use project on the block Northwest of 3rd Street and Pine Avenue.

The Planning Commission Hearing begins at 5:00pm in the City Council Chambers. The presentation should be at the beginning of the meeting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West